PDA

View Full Version : Xenoblade Chronicles X

danzibr
2015-05-02, 04:28 PM
Well, the other Xeno thread I made died miserably.

Anyone excited about this game? Actually, anyone heard about this game? It came out in Japan on 4/29. Everything I've seen about it makes me highly optimistic. In fact, in my entire life I can't remember looking forward to a single game so much.

Big open world to explore.
Big mechs to ride around and fight in.
No random battles (I mean, I'm fine with random battles, but I prefer faster stuff nowadays).
Speaking of which, apparently the combat is quite deep.

GloatingSwine
2015-05-02, 05:55 PM
I am looking forward to it. It's probably the only game coming out this year that I'm actually anticipating rather than just going to get because why not.

I really like Xenoblade, I like the PSO style it's got going on, the Skell customisation looks boss, and it looks like it's even more exploration driven than Xenoblade was with a large focus being on investigating the hostile new world you've crashed on.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-05-03, 12:33 AM
I have not played the first as of yet, I own it but have not got around to it, there is one thing more than anything else I worry of and that is the class system. A game like this will die horridly if the classes are not fun.

danzibr
2015-05-03, 06:45 AM
I am looking forward to it. It's probably the only game coming out this year that I'm actually anticipating rather than just going to get because why not.

I really like Xenoblade, I like the PSO style it's got going on, the Skell customisation looks boss, and it looks like it's even more exploration driven than Xenoblade was with a large focus being on investigating the hostile new world you've crashed on.
This reminds me... I loved Phantasy Star I-IV, but stopped after that. I've heard good things about PSO. Maybe I should really play it.

I have not played the first as of yet, I own it but have not got around to it, there is one thing more than anything else I worry of and that is the class system. A game like this will die horridly if the classes are not fun.
Classes are one thing (wait, classes is plural...) which I haven't looked into. Time to do so now!

I partially agree with you. Again, I don't know much of them now, but even if the class system is only mediocre, I can see still loving this game. I do hope it's awesome, of course.

EDIT: Well, read about them. Seems like a job system. You can switch on the fly, that's neat. One base class, leads to 3, each of those 3 lead to 2, maybe more with DLC.

Suichimo
2015-05-03, 07:26 AM

How so? The first game didn't even have classes and it is great.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-05-03, 08:12 AM
How so? The first game didn't even have classes and it is great.

Because you were playing a specific Character, this time you are creating one from scratch, Shulk is his own character, I can understand that he has specific traits, but if I make Jenny McStabberson...she needs to have some decent customizablity.

And really this genre of Single Player MMOS, does need some customization in general, else why have it be an RPG, just make it a full on action game at that point. The Last Story suffered from that very badly, the game play was 100% the same at the end of the story as it was at about level 6 when you got your Dash ability, now the story line was good enough to cover that flaw, but I really did wish for something other than "Hack and Slash, and charge up a dash" by the end of the game.

danzibr
2015-05-03, 01:06 PM
@Classes

I found Nier had the same problem. I loved the game for its plot, art, and music, but its combat was pretty monotonous. I mean, fun but monotonous. Once you get a couple abilities (you pick up more abilities as you go, but the ones you use more are the earlier ones) and a polearm, you just spam those over and over.

Rising Phoenix
2015-05-03, 02:20 PM
It would be great if this game got an actual release date in the west other than: 2015.

danzibr
2015-05-03, 03:51 PM
It would be great if this game got an actual release date in the west other than: 2015.
According to rumors of rumors, we might possibly potentially may see it the end of this summer.

Suichimo
2015-05-03, 08:00 PM
Because you were playing a specific Character, this time you are creating one from scratch, Shulk is his own character, I can understand that he has specific traits, but if I make Jenny McStabberson...she needs to have some decent customizablity.

And really this genre of Single Player MMOS, does need some customization in general, else why have it be an RPG, just make it a full on action game at that point. The Last Story suffered from that very badly, the game play was 100% the same at the end of the story as it was at about level 6 when you got your Dash ability, now the story line was good enough to cover that flaw, but I really did wish for something other than "Hack and Slash, and charge up a dash" by the end of the game.

Outside of the main character, that same logic could've easily applied to this. In Xenoblade, you could play as any member of the party, not just Shulk, and that was part of the customization. Another part came from the fact that everyone got 16 arts, and with the exception of Shulk, could only equip eight arts at any given time. The last part of the customization came from the skill links which could let you do stuff like run a completely unarmored character. Even if the MC had set abilities, there would still have been plenty of customization.

danzibr
2015-05-04, 01:06 PM
On the topics of classes and customizability and whatnot, apparently early in development they had a traditional protagonist. Later, when they decided to make the online part of the game, they decided to scrap him/her in favor of the make-your-own.

Qwertystop
2015-05-05, 07:24 AM
I'm looking forward to it but haven't been able to follow all the announcements. What online part?

GloatingSwine
2015-05-05, 08:09 AM
I'm looking forward to it but haven't been able to follow all the announcements. What online part?

There are some 4 player co-op quests. Not sure what the details of how it will work are, but given that it's on a Nintendo console probably more awkwardly than strictly necessary (and almost certainly with no chat feature).

There's also some kind of item trading but it's an indirect/auction house mediated system not direct player to player..

danzibr
2015-05-05, 11:10 AM
There are some 4 player co-op quests. Not sure what the details of how it will work are, but given that it's on a Nintendo console probably more awkwardly than strictly necessary (and almost certainly with no chat feature).

There's also some kind of item trading but it's an indirect/auction house mediated system not direct player to player..
Truth be told, I'd much rather it be offline.

From what I've seen/read, it's not a very good online system. Plus, my Wii U seems to be quite laggy on the internet.

GloatingSwine
2015-05-05, 12:01 PM
Nintendo don't seem to get online gaming. They are super resistant to making playing online easy or intuitive or adding the kind of features that everyone else takes for granted. (eg. any form of communication at all, even in team based multiplayer like Splatoon)

Hunter Noventa
2015-05-05, 02:50 PM
Nintendo don't seem to get online gaming. They are super resistant to making playing online easy or intuitive or adding the kind of features that everyone else takes for granted. (eg. any form of communication at all, even in team based multiplayer like Splatoon)

I think part of the reluctance to add in multiplayer comms, especially voice comms, is how toxic online communities for anything can get. They do still want to put forward the image of a kid-friendly company, and even a game like Splatoon would inevitably have the jerk spouting hate speech because someone isn't as good as them.

In other news, I am looking forward to this game, haven't had any Giant Robot RPGs in English for ages. Though I'm somewhat glad it's not connected to the original, since I never did get around to finishing that.