PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Compendium: Artificers

Halcyon_Dax
2007-04-17, 11:06 PM
Ive been thinking about creating an artificer character recently and I have a few questions.

1. Is the Magic Item Compendium a good buy in general?

2. Is it a good buy for aspiring Artificers?

3. UNRELATED! I recall seeing some wand related feats in a book recently. Feats that allowed you to weild multiple wands, use wands without a charge, etc. What are those exactly and where did i see them?

4. Has anyone tried to build one of those ebberonian airships before? Any suggestions you can give me on accomplishing this feat?

Thanks!

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-17, 11:13 PM
The MIC isn't bad. Lots of interesting items, and because they know very few people would take some interesting 3/day gloves over Gloves of Dexterity, there are rules for adding stat and AC enhancements to other items without a price multiplier.

It's no better for an Artificer than for anyone else. Artificers can already make anything they need.

Hario
2007-04-17, 11:17 PM
The magic item compendium is a must for any artificer, you could have a bunch of books, but the MiC has lowered the price of many items to make them more appealing like the wings of flying aren't 50k anymore so its definatly has my approval. The feat tree is wand surge and an infusion from the ECS that gives temporary action points, wand surge allows you to add action points to a wand or item completion item and add it to the item, so essencially making an infinate use wand, at the price of a few infusions every so often. Also another infusion allows you to metamagic any wand for free, so you can rack up a bunch of damage. If you want to make an airship look into the Eberron Explorer's handbook it has guidline for making one, though they can be pretty expencive, one problem is unless you spend tuns of money on them, they are either very weak and can be blown out of the sky or the upkeep costs on the ship are going to kill you in the longrun.

Jasdoif
2007-04-17, 11:26 PM
3. UNRELATED! I recall seeing some wand related feats in a book recently. Feats that allowed you to weild multiple wands, use wands without a charge, etc. What are those exactly and where did i see them?Complete Arcane has the Double Wand Wielder, Reckless Wand Wielder and Wandstrike feats.

It also has Master Wand, which lets you expend a spell slot to use a wand (instead of expending a charge), but that one's epic.

Jack Mann
2007-04-17, 11:35 PM
There are also a few artificer-exclusive items in there you might want to look up.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-17, 11:40 PM
Tthe MiC has lowered the price of many items to make them more appealing like the wings of flying aren't 50k anymore so its definatly has my approval.

Holy crap it's like they're trying to fix D&D.

Halcyon_Dax
2007-04-17, 11:41 PM
Hmm, it sounds like a picker-upper from what you guys are saying.

Any legal previews of the type of artificer specific items one might find in there Jack?

Jack Mann
2007-04-17, 11:47 PM
Well, for one, you have the artificer's monocle, which improves your artificer knowledge class feature. There are a few others which can be powered with infusions, such as the Cannith goggles (depending on what level of infusion you use, the better the effect).

Hario
2007-04-17, 11:49 PM
They hired playtesters? :smallconfused: Or just survey about 10 people and get an idea that about 90% of the players buy stat boosting items and not items that benifit them but are generally more expencive. I forget the actual price for the wings now but I think its between 20k-30k now, so its more economical to get some items in there.

Ramza00
2007-04-18, 08:58 AM
3 pages of melee weapon properties you can add to weapons by infusions in a list format (as in the same size of text in a similar format when you look at feat lists)
2 pages of ranged weapon properties.
A total of 30 pages of the same list format of all the items in MIC

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-18, 07:18 PM

I guess you optimizers made enough ruckus about batman and stuff, eh? :smallwink:

Twisted.Fate
2007-04-18, 07:39 PM
It's a really wicked book. Lots of unique stuff with cool properties; the already-mentioned pricing table for adding stat boosts to said items makes them even better. After all, like Bears With Lasers said, how many players prefer "Gloves of Neat Tricks 3/day" to "Gloves of Dex +6"?

The new weapon and armor abilities are very interesting and flavorful, covering a wide range of neat tricks and price levels. I love the selection of new (non-obscenely priced, can you believe it?) unique weapons and armor as well.

The stat blocks are a fantastic innovation. It's nice to be able to just flip to an item and have its weight, price, slot, aura and Spellcraft DC right there, all spelled out at the top. The magic item slot sheet at the back is also a great help (it's basically a sheet that lets you record what items you have, and where they are) for keeping track of what you have where, and what slots you have left.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the art yet. There's pictures for at least half the items in the book, probably more; most of them are good pictures. Some are repeats from other books, but the vast majority are original pictures.