View Full Version : Can I get flyby attack on an elemental warrior?

Windrammer
2015-05-02, 08:25 PM
The feat is described in such a way to exclude characters who don't fly naturally, but the word it uses in regards to what it excludes is "magical". While much flight is magical, it is to my understanding that in DnD there is a distinction between "magical" and "supernatural" in terms of technical speech.

An elemental warrior, having chosen the element of air, has an at-will ability to fly. It's not a spell, but it's magical only in the same sense a planar creature's ability would be. Flying is not an ability granted by the human form, but does an elemental warrior really count as such a thing? The ability to fly can't be dispelled from it, it's part of the thing's innate being, so could it be regarded as part of it's form? There are many creatures that fly without having appendages that grant it that I suspect would be allowed to take this feat.

So what do you think, guys. Should such a character still be excluded from flyby attack?

Urpriest
2015-05-02, 08:43 PM
The feat is described in such a way to exclude characters who don't fly naturally

Do you mean in PF? There's no such distinction in 3.5.

DrMotives
2015-05-02, 08:44 PM
I don't know where elemental warrior is from, so I can't look at its information, but the flyby attack feat says nothing about type of flight. It just says the creature needs a flight speed to take the feat. So, does your air elemental warrior human have a listed flight speed? If so, you can buy the feat.

Thurbane
2015-05-02, 08:56 PM
Elemental Warrior is a prestige class from the Planar Handbook.

As per above, I've checked both the 3.5 and Pathfinder SRD, and neither specifies a type of flight for the Flyby Attack feat (only a fly speed).

Windrammer
2015-05-02, 08:58 PM
Elemental Warrior is a prestige class from the Planar Handbook.

As per above, I've checked both the 3.5 and Pathfinder SRD, and neither specifies a type of flight for the Flyby Attack feat (only a fly speed).

Strange. I guess I had a weird source. I was looking at the Realmshelps website. It read as thus:

Prerequisite: Ability to fly, either naturally or through shapechanging
Benefit: When flying, you take a move action (including a dive) plus another partial action at any point during that move. You cannot take a second move action during a round in which you make a flyby attack. You can this feat only while you are in a form that allows natural flight; it cannot be used in conjunction with magical flight (such as a fly spell).

Red Fel
2015-05-02, 09:00 PM
Strange. I guess I had a weird source.

Try checking the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#flybyAttack). It reads:

Prerequisite
Fly speed.

Benefit
When flying, the creature can take a move action (including a dive) and another standard action at any point during the move. The creature cannot take a second move action during a round when it makes a flyby attack.

Normal
Without this feat, the creature takes a standard action either before or after its move.
Better?

Windrammer
2015-05-02, 10:33 PM
Try checking the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#flybyAttack). It reads:

Better?

Yeah I looked it up. This is the first time I've seen such a discrepancy between websites. My guess is that there is a different iteration of the feat in another book that took precedence in the eyes of whoever manages that site.

Red Fel
2015-05-02, 10:38 PM
Yeah I looked it up. This is the first time I've seen such a discrepancy between websites. My guess is that there is a different iteration of the feat in another book that took precedence in the eyes of whoever manages that site.

While the SRD isn't "official" official, it's generally seen as an extremely accurate reproduction of what's in the text. If it disagrees with other websites *ahem* it's reasonably safe to assume that the SRD is the accurate one.

Curmudgeon
2015-05-02, 11:45 PM
Strange. I guess I had a weird source. I was looking at the Realmshelps website. It read as thus:

Prerequisite: Ability to fly, either naturally or through shapechanging ...
That looks like the version from Masters of the Wild. It's first both alphabetically (compared to all the Monster Manual <whatever>s) and chronologically. Of course what you want is the last version, not the first.

KillianHawkeye
2015-05-03, 11:38 AM
Yeah, the reference to taking a partial action is a dead giveaway that you're looking at something printed before the 3.5 revision.