PDA

View Full Version : Computer CYOA - GitP Plays X-COM: Enemy Within

MCerberus
2015-05-02, 10:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/axOyf.jpg
Commander, it has come to our attention that there are competing notions of autonomy vs collaboration in a command environment. As such the X-COM project will now include social scenario testing where a group of other people will question all of your priorities. We realize this is a stupid thing to start during an alien invasion, but you should realize by now we constantly punk you. Good luck, commander(s)

Alright, so the basis of this playthrough is this: The hive mind will decide what alien abductions to counter, what research projects to undertake, how to build the base, and which skills soldiers take when promoted. I'll be taking the role of the tactical commander, taking control of the battles themselves. The... other stuff... will be handled by the glorious posters.

No R&D happens on unapproved projects
The direction and priority of construction will be set, but I'm given leniency on how to accomplish this. Ex: a building project would be "expanding sattelite coverage"
Along with decisions, the thread can make "policies" including the composition of squads
policies could mean anything, from forcing 1 arc thrower per trooper or everyone Lt. or above being pink. You decide
To change a policy, three votes to do so must happen, then the vote to what to change the policy happens
I will make a post when I'm ready to implement a vote, and no votes after that will count for the issue at hand
As such, votes aren't a strict time thing. On weekends, I expect this to go faster
Players can sign up to have a trooper named after them. A player must state whether they want a Blue (high aim high will), White (low aim high will), Black (high aim low will) or Red (cannon fodder) shirt
The thread votes on what upgrades to select for named troopers. Faceless soldiers I get to decide on
I'm putting all the random options on, including random skill trees
Advancing the plot is considered a policy
Named redshirts upon death will be cloned and keep the same name

List of GitP Soldiers:
Blue:
White: Grif - Cpt. Heavy
Black: Zevox - Lt. Support
Eldest - Squaddie support

Blue: Binks - Cpl. Assault
Starbuck - Cpl. Sniper

Red:John The Savage - Sergeant MEC
Squark: Squaddie Heavy
Krikkit: Squaddie Sniper

Current Policies:
Squad Loadout: Default of 3 of the best soldiers we have, 1 working their way up, and one rookie. No duplicate classes
Covert Ops: Send our best assault trooper in
Bright Pink MECs

Initial Decisions:
What continent is our base going to be at?
Are we going to research armor, weapons, or Meld first?
What's the current build project?

Grif
2015-05-03, 12:53 AM
Interesting. Here we go then.

What continent is our base going to be at?
North America, because I just like interceptor discounts and starting in the US gives quite a bit of cash.

Are we going to research armor, weapons, or Meld first?
If this is Classic difficulty, I'd say Meld.

What's the current build project?
One satellite first, then medkits.

Also I volunteer for an Assault Whiteshirt. (Assuming that's actually practical).

OrcusMcP
2015-05-03, 07:03 AM
I'll volunteer as a heavy blue shirt.

I vote either North America or Asia.

Research, I'd say we should do Meld, followed by Weapons.

MCerberus
2015-05-03, 08:43 AM
You may be waiting a while to get a specific combination of abilities and class, since everything's random and getting "New Guy" and spamming recruits could get expensive

JohnTheSavage
2015-05-03, 12:28 PM
I volunteer as a redshirt of any class.

I vote:
Asia for X-Com HQ
Meld for our first research project, followed by armor
For building, I vote we get another satellite up ASAP.

Zevox
2015-05-03, 12:45 PM
Eh, what the heck, I'll volunteer as a black-shirt, Assault or Support. Either gender is fine, too.

Continent: Africa or Asia, in that order of preference.
Research: I'm going to break from the mold and say armor first. Get people a better chance to survive early.
Build project: Satellite, obviously.

MCerberus
2015-05-03, 01:18 PM
Alright, so to get this started, we're going to go with 'MURICA, as there was a draw but NA had more first votes
We're going to expand coverage which means digging out and getting a generator out of the way so the uplinks can be bonused together
And the thread seems to want as a priority to NEVER ASKED FOR THIS

We get into the game as "Operation Bloody Druid" kicks off in KC, Missouri. A city as a St. Louisan, I am required to hate. I bet this bodes well.
Aaaand the first mission and we get our first casualty. Whiteshirt 1 fails a 75% shot on a Sectoid (linked to another one, would have been a double kill) and hits ONE OF THE MELD CANISTERS. One of the aliens not killed shoots a rookie. Zevox gets a promotion by throwing a grenade between two sectoids, killing one. The rest of the team mops up. Unfortunately, Zevox gets injured and panicks. Freaking druids.

Well that was a complete mess. Let's take a look at the base and see if we get a good setup for steam vents...
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798322772746/EA097840A1B4A0BCD96001915133A26451AA0D10/
Great. SUPER GREAT. All of the steam is blocked off by space needed for our uplinks.

Good news, we have a couple of forumer soldiers
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798322772910/9A64BA1AAEF904629F6177299C0942386E6693C1/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798322773059/D4B7F4780CE6A5215E100883F7A7BD8FC96A2BE8/

We've got an unnamed whiteshirt heavy. The one that messed up. Two blueshirts, three reds, three blackshirts, all rooks (one named). May want to think about recruiting to get some better rolls for will, since... well there are some in the 20s. We're talking bad comedy routine of cascading panics.

There's also the matter of deciding what medal power gets assigned
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798322773192/D1F2367B888C5B99AEFCFC09DB485C1685F572B0/

First Abductions:
China - Moderate. Reward of 4 engineers
South Africa - Moderate. Reward of $200
France - Moderate. Reward of 4 scientists

Note: engineers would help for project satellite. So would the cash though.

Grif, there's a whiteshirt heavy out there if you like to claim it

OrcusMcP
2015-05-03, 02:15 PM
Go for the engineer mission. Yes, we will be hurting for money for quite some time, but engineers also help make things cheaper.

Medals: NO PANIC!

Zevox
2015-05-03, 02:39 PM
Hm, not sure on the medal bonus. My experience has always been that panicking becomes a non-issue as the game goes on, so it seems like a choice between short-term and long-term benefit. Then again, I've never played with these variant rules on, and the early game is the hard part anyway. So I guess I'll vote for the panic immunity.

Go for the Engineer mission. If memory serves, a short supply of those is something that needs to be corrected quickly on classic difficulty.

As for the steam vents, eh, at least two are pretty readily accessible. Just build the uplinks in between and things will work out. Not optimal, but it could easily be worse, I'd say.

MCerberus
2015-05-03, 04:44 PM
Responding to the abductions in China went pretty well actually. One of the meld containers was on a super-short timer and surrounded by Sectoids though. One injury no deaths.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798323240443/850E18A0970E9C051E5E2FB60B824DD90641608D/
Good job guy that names the operations, YES the moon DOES have a lot of silicates.

And you know how we have a redshirt named, and (even though this redshirt has the best possible stats for being a redshirt) they're likely to run out and die?
Well, John The Savage is an assault. CHAAAAAAAAAAARGE
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798323240598/73C07BE0CCAD650B1A8ED428F50332851DC7B2BD/

We've got the meld research complete, meaning we can start a new building project let's call it "Project Whatashame". And yes, every time we use augmented soldiers I'm making a DX reference. I've begun the second-highest vote, weapons. Hopefully whiteshirt will actually hit something with one.

First UFO splash. Not too interesting. It was in a farm, and it was a slaughter. We have a second assault out of it, a Blueshirt
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798323240845/B08512CA6A4A1F359494C189440A466E689D75F9/

Alright, so another abduction
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798323241168/2CD1DA70864C3C278B38B79BA076393CDBB44CC2/
Germany gives us money
Egypt a heavy sergeant
Australia scientists, and I wouldn't recommend this option for panic level reasons.

And also another medal power
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798323240724/6F6E2E41B7C6BEA75804A8E786FFD97BB86F2303/

So along with those two, are we going to start building augmentation buildings?
After weapons, armor or alien biology?

JohnTheSavage
2015-05-03, 05:09 PM
I'm going to say Germany for the abduction mission, since we kinda need more money than soldiers at the moment.
As for medals, I say more healing over no panic, since panic slowly becomes less of an issue as the game goes on, and +5 aim over more defense, so MECs benefit from the medal too.
I vote we get a MEC lab built ASAP, since MECs are great and everyone should have at least one.

Zevox
2015-05-03, 05:29 PM
Medal: Defense. +5 to aim against full cover doesn't make enough of a difference, if memory serves. Extra defense is always nice, and in this case more universal than the alternative.

Germany for the mission. Need cash more than scientists early on easily, and probably more than a moderately promoted soldier, too.

Augmentation buildings... honestly, I'm blanking on what they are, or if they cost so much that it wouldn't be practical to shoot for them too early.

Armor next. We don't want guys dropping left and right to one lucky shot as stronger enemies start popping up.

MCerberus
2015-05-03, 05:33 PM
Medal: Defense. +5 to aim against full cover doesn't make enough of a difference, if memory serves. Extra defense is always nice, and in this case more universal than the alternative.

Germany for the mission. Need cash more than scientists early on easily, and probably more than a moderately promoted soldier, too.

Augmentation buildings... honestly, I'm blanking on what they are, or if they cost so much that it wouldn't be practical to shoot for them too early.

Armor next. We don't want guys dropping left and right to one lucky shot as stronger enemies start popping up.

Augmentation buildings are the ones where you can use meld to genetically modify or chop soldiers into pieces to fit in power armor.

Zevox
2015-05-03, 05:56 PM
Hm, I vaguely recall the cost on those being a touch high (I've only played Enemy Within once so far), so I'd say hold off on them for now, personally.

MCerberus
2015-05-03, 06:03 PM
Hm, I vaguely recall the cost on those being a touch high (I've only played Enemy Within once so far), so I'd say hold off on them for now, personally.

Yah the cost is the big debate. Early on MECs are ringers. They can either 1-shot any target or AoE burn and fear multiple Chyrissis. Before you can fill out the squad with lasers they're great. Also they've got a TON of HP and most of the time 0 recovery time (all the health is armor).

Grif
2015-05-03, 08:27 PM
Give me the Heavy if no one else is available.

I'll always go for the MEC aug building at least. MECs are invaluable all through the early game, when you need that boost of power the most. Conversely, the Biological upgrades is actually optional, barring if you feel the need to cheese the game with Mimetic Skin.

MCerberus
2015-05-04, 03:16 PM
Well, if you haven't noticed I'm a bit heavy on the explosive use. We're losing weapon fragments yes but then again..
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798326782734/BCAA77E144C8699331ABFD47F80392DBCFA57094/
TRIPLE KILL

So the formerly unnamed whiteshirt, now Grif needs a promotion. Three medpacks vs 2 grenades and 2 of whatever item we decide we want once we get the foundry project finished. I'm not sure if the perk allows two rockets
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798326783157/144D8FCCA455649209F3BDF9957E4F6F1FECA3BE/

And here's a picture of Zevox, apparently being the squad's designated radio operator (or just getting the last kill all the time)
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798326783041/E167A08BF4930479541FC98B70DDD0ABCA9EFB19/

I've also noticed that XCOM is 80% female. Odd.

The cybernetics lab is up! Who gets to be the lucky "volunteer"?
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798326783409/FC5DB4C1D9FBBDD9B086E178607361421F72637C/

Another medal power!
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798326783294/63DEAC91FFBD38DA7466876AE660CAA504A4003C/

Month one is coming to an end, and we have a sat ready to go. Highest payout among panicked nations is Australia at 120 and South Africa at 140. Also thanks New Economy, for having the US be worth 50. yay.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529514798326783530/D4114CF8BD37FEA8843072FC69BA892987131BC3/

Research: alien biology
Experimental Warfare
LASERS

So, what research, where to launch, medal power, and who gets chopped into our first mech. Also mech related, fist of punching or fist of burning?

JohnTheSavage
2015-05-04, 05:07 PM
I vote for researching Laser weapons next, since experimental warfare's only really good for the foundry and we haven't unlocked enough of the good foundry projects yet. Since we should be avoiding autopsies until we get full coverage of South America, alien biology's not really a big priority right now.
For the satellite, I only launch them right before the end of the month, and hold them in reserve at all other times, in case a country goes 5 bars or there's a council request for satellite coverage. If it is the end of the month now, I vote we launch it over Australia, for no other reason than personal bias.

As for the MEC, you want soldiers with low will to make that sacrifice, so you can't choose Grif or either of the blueshirts, leaving only me and Zevox. I volunteer for MEC surgery, since I don't like support MECs and because we already have another assault; if I go we still have one soldier of each class. I vote for mounting a rocket-powered fist rather than a flamethrower, since if it's me, I need a good, multi-use close combat weapon and the extra moment range is incredibly useful.

RagingKrikkit
2015-05-06, 06:57 AM
How did I miss this? Sign me the hell up!

Squark
2015-05-06, 08:44 AM
Put me down as either a redshirt or our first MEC if the logical choice is an unnamed soldier. And make my chassis hot pink. Because hot pink MECs are delightfully absurd. I second the powerfist motion, especially since punching out a sectopod or Mechtoid looks totally awesome, but also because I feel the flamethrower doesn't age as well. Also, the flamethrower is prone to kill-stealing, and early MECs take forever to level up since they get half XP, so whoever our first MEC is will probably be sidelined in the endgame and we don't want them stealing promotions for our late game team. Although, if you have slingshot enabled, Zhang is a perfect for for MEC training since he's exactly where you want to make the switch to MEC for heavies.

My opinions on development;

-MOAR Sattelites!
-LAZERZ
-Willpower Medal>Aim medal since we're bound to lose a continent bonus or two (probably Europe or South America), but try to save it for a psychic.
-Africa's continent bonus is better in the early game, so deploy our satellite over South Africa.

Regarding Covert Ops: Given abilities are random, there's no garuntee we'll ever see it, but I highly recommend giving the position to a trooper with gunslinger if we have one.

EDIT: Oh, one last question; What Second Wave options do you have on, Grif? And are either of the operations enabled?

EDIT2: Ah, spotted it in the OP. You have all the random stuff enabled. So that's... New Economy, Not Created Equal, Hidden Potential, and Training Roulette, all of which we've already seen. Do you also have Damage Roulette and Itchy trigger Tentacle on?

Eldest
2015-05-06, 10:06 AM
Ooo, I'm all for dying horribly. Let's see, I'd like to be either a blackshirt or redshirt sniper or support, whichever is easier to get. With purple stuff if possible (I can't recall if it is, been a while). Also I vote for meld research and then a beeline for lasers.

Grif
2015-05-06, 10:09 AM
Seconding any vote for lasers. Lasers will make those pesky terror missions more bearable, and allow you to do the EXALT missions better.

Binks
2015-05-06, 10:43 AM
Well this looks like fun. Sign me up for whatever shirt becomes available and any class that's not a sniper.

Voting -
Research - Lasers
Medal - Will bonus
Launch - South Africa

Starbuck_II
2015-05-06, 10:58 AM
I'd like a Blue or Black Shirt, please.

Research Lazers and more Satelites.

MCerberus
2015-05-06, 12:18 PM
Both Operations are on.
Long war is not.
Roulette is.

We need to decide on Grif's promotion
Unless we get a vote elsewise, JohnTheSavage is going to have his limbs chopped off. what a shame

Krikkit: going to need some more elaboration on what your character will be
Squark: No unclaimed reshirts that aren't rookies. Our meld supply is... accommodating once we get a promotion

I'll do an update after work today but here's the current list of soldiers to make

Squark - Redshirt, any class
Eldest - Red/black shirt support/sniper
Binks - anything not a sniper. Probably our assault trooper, currently squaddie and taking over primary role from John
Starbuck - black/blueshirt

We have a couple of policy votes! We need three to bring them up to a yes/no vote
Hot Pink MECs
Use pistoleers for covert ops

edit- also, we have the cash this month, some recruitment?

Squark
2015-05-06, 12:33 PM
I knew something got lost when the bus wifi ate my original post.

Anyway, I'd say go with Medic for Grif. Additional Medikit uses will make early missions a lot easier, and Deep Pockets loses usefulness in the endgame where I prefer items that provide flat bonuses like S.C.O.P.E.s, Chitin Plating, and Respirator Implants/Nano-fiber vests. Between the heavy's rockets and an MEC's various abilities, cover busting late in the game is fairly plentiful. Plus, by the time you have heavier laser weapons you start to destroy cover without meaning to, and plasma tends to destroy walls more often than not.

Regarding Money: Recruitment isn't a bad idea, but I'd like to save some cash so we can outfit the squad with Carapace Armor at the first opportunity.

JohnTheSavage
2015-05-06, 03:12 PM
Regarding Policy:
Yay for hot pink MECs.

Nay for pistoleers on convert ops. Gunslinger perk or not, pistols still do very little damage and it's almost always better to have them rush EXALT's comm towers. Assaults are fantastic at doing this, since run and gun allows them free actions after sprinting, unlike the other classes, whose turns just end if they sprint. If you play your cards right, you can keep an EXALT force disabled for the entire length of the operation.
Of course, if you get an assault who goes on to get the gunslinger perk, they're the perfect choice.

Regarding money: I'd save for now, so as soon as we get lasers and carapace armor, we can reequip our forces faster.

Squark
2015-05-06, 03:21 PM
Actually, I think it'd probably be better if MCerebus nominated two or three potential Covert operatives once we start launching covert ops and the community votes on who's most qualified for the job.

Thinking about it, though, the reason that sniper worked so well as a covert operative was the combination of mods and talents I gave him, and it's unlikely a sniper will get Low Profile and Gunslinger, which combined with double tap and mimetic skin was what made that covert operative such a deadly force (Well, that and a fully upgraded plasma pistol. And... maybe a S.C.O.P.E. to ensure crits. Don't remember if I gave him as much armor as I could or if I went with Chitin Plating and S.C.O.P.E.).

RagingKrikkit
2015-05-06, 04:14 PM
Krikkit: going to need some more elaboration on what your character will be

I'm not really picky, though I guess I'm leaning towards assault or sniper. I also support both propositions on the table, as well as the development of lazorz.

MCerberus
2015-05-06, 05:54 PM
Logs from Project Whatashame
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515190479460614/A274A9C6D3E59656E828C46C5E98F4E6A80AF3C4/

Subject 1 recovering from the meld process
Won't the new cybernetic routines cause some personality modifications?
Well yes, we'll have to see how subject reacts. Activate her.

"There is grace in their fai-"

Subject 1 brought temporarily offline due to spoilers
Yah couldn't have that. Just too soon.
A little tweaking and

"Your clothes. give them to me"

Better?
At least it didn't end up like the time you turned an intern into a living iPod
I didn't know they were into screamo
Well there's some terminator in there now. Want to show the subject the giant murderbot?
There is never not a time for the giant murderbot.

End of the month and this is what it looks like
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515190479460739/E368E5A96B5C30A5B72A59BFF76054E3FA418586/

The mostly rookies are enjoying having names. Makes them less expendable. Except Squark.

Medium-sized UFO. Lost an interceptor but it went down. Didn't pull it back because it meant that we would have lost the SA satellite, which is half our funding
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515190479460891/E2899C2D8F2FC531939BDF38BF4F5DA0E70C6666/

Lost one of the meld containers because I was too cautious due to squiddlies. I hate them so, and "not death" > 10 meld
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515190479461042/4CC8199E006DFC11548222A20A24E5119337B9D4/
Zevox, dirty last kill stealer again

Grif... gets promoted. again
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515190479461168/04F2C9FDDBF243D672B068708375FAD481D872CA/
Shredder rocket or double reaction shots

Oh, and I have an uplink and three sats building. We've got... a little cash, but beam weapons are soon.

Abduction Sites:
China - moderate. Reward: 4 engineers
Argentina - easy. Reward: 4 Scientists
US - easy. Reward: $200

It should be noted that Asia is the only continent in this spread with any panic. The entire west is clear.
Grif's got a promotion
We've got 12 days left on beam weapons, after which will be alien biology, experimental warfare, carapace armor, or MOAR LAZERS
Should we build an elevator or save for toy money or recruitment?

Current potential policies:
Gunslinger Covert Ops - 1
Bright Pink MECs - 2

Squark
2015-05-06, 06:35 PM
Engineers are still at a premium for now, and the Western Hemisphere is panic-free while if we ignore China Australia will probably freak out.

Shredder Rocket is a solid choice, so that's what I'd go for. The second overwatch shot is nice considering Grif's aim, though. Random abilities make things hard to plan, though.

I'd say Carapace armor for research. Alien Biology for a research boost would be nice, but I don't think we can spare the funds for a containment facility at this time. If we've got about a dozen or so soldiers, I'd say save money for lasers and armor. If we do start to run low on replacements for me or if none of our rookies are any good, well, then we might need more recruits. Could we get a screenshot of the roster (Possibly with redshirts marked so we know who's fodder and who's a potential asset)?

Zevox
2015-05-06, 08:10 PM
With the panic situation on top of the Engineers reward, China is an easy pick for the mission.

Shredder Rocket for Grif's ability makes the most sense to me.

Research armor next I'd say. We're going to want that extra health, plus extra buffer against people spending time in recovery after missions.

Money-wise, not sure. I don't have the amount that things cost memorized, which makes it harder to say. My first instinct is to pick up some of the lasers we just researched, then elevator, though.

Grif
2015-05-06, 08:18 PM
I'd go for Shredder as well. Nice utility, and double overwatch means little at this stage.

Binks
2015-05-07, 10:18 AM
Completely agree with the 'not death > 10 meld' thing.

I'll be a dissenting voice on the promotion. I've always found double overwatch to be very useful with the number of aliens that are typically moving around, so I vote for that. Depends a bit on playstyle (I tend to be very cautious in my moves and keep everyone on overwatch pretty much all the time) but can be quite useful.

I completely agree with going for China. Engineers are great and the panic elsewhere is nice and low. Hardest difficulty is sadly the most profitable.

I vote for alien biology after lasers is finished. Interrogations and dissections make all the tech so much quicker to research.

No opinion on gunslinger covert ops and I don't care about the MEC color, so no votes from me on the current policies.

Squark
2015-05-07, 10:33 AM
The problem is Grif's aim is awful. The (Highly unlikely) Best case scenario is that he'll manage to match the aim of a stock heavy (75) at colonel. It's significantly more likely he'll end up with a good bit less. So overwatch isn't going to do much with him. Shredder rocket will make him a better cover buster and support character, which is what he's already good at.

Sam cw
2015-05-07, 02:07 PM
I'd like to sign up for this. Any class is fine, preference order for shirt color is blue>black>white>red, but getting in is my first concern. I'll also volunteer for MECing if you need a second pilot.

Shredder Rocket gets my vote, it's an OHKO right now and still great for cover-busting later on. It sounds like you should go to China here. And definitely get armor after lasers, we're still at the point where Thin Men one-shots are common.

MCerberus
2015-05-07, 05:59 PM
Grif commits a terrible terrible crime, not having Zevox on camera when the mission ends. Such a glory hog, Grif missed the reaction shot and our resident robot killed the last squiddle
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515275484634746/E0E576A6929E9C2A309A76C6AC59D8D43C35B8F2/

In the words of the great orator, Takei, "oh myyyyyyyyyy"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515275484634940/62DB4A8975C9CF22026ABCDF31AC91562D0B02C5/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515275484635256/44B153BCF02E5EC0E1109D45685F98C58197F2BE/
Zevox gets some REALLY NICE perks here, holotargeting or immune to crits
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515275484635075/0E0A6E73012EF42CD69FA911D48DB1677E1BFDEE/
meeeeeeeeeeeeh

There's something I'd like to point out in HR right here:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515275484635414/57C800E58F82FFFAE0E32290062AD62564B902B9/
WAAAAAAAAANT squad size

Hey guys, we're about to start fighting the illuminati. Unfortunately we're sitting a couple of our best waiting for promos
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515275484635537/362B9F58E6E40161B7E1CFBD105E0A4434958C7C/
Upon John's recommendation though, we told the scum that dead or alive, he's coming with us
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515275484635682/43498B61ADC331348BBF6DD57DB089E4FDF4F7B9/

Grif ate a full-damage plasma, but promotion
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515275484635828/9E39AA729591E069E0CF3E3FE897AE24268BB8CE/
Mmm scanners. Smells like cheese

Have lasers, bought lasers, still have 200 in the bank. Researching armor, here's the potential projects for next
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515275484635970/7BB02820AA46361B329F6A078FA29E3070E81C42/

The first part of Slingshot just showed up. Not starting it until we get proper promotions.

Votes: We've got 3 promos pending
What research next?
Should we do any training programs (recommend squad size)?

Policies: Pistoleer covert ops - 1
Pink MECs - 2

Zevox
2015-05-07, 07:34 PM
Definitely grab Squad Size. Honestly, depending on whether we can realistically expect to have a use for the other $150 we have before our next payday (you said we've got three more satellites in the making this month already, right?), I might also say grab Wet Work. Faster promotions are never a bad thing.

For me, Holo-Targeting seems more in keeping with being a "Support" character than crit immunity, which seems like it would be better on an Assault.
For our MEC... I don't know. Maybe defense in overwatch, since her aim is poor anyway? Or would we rather get no aim penalty from overwatch precisely because of that? I'll defer to others on this one, I guess.
For Grif, scanner. On a heavy, I doubt the height bonus to aim and defense comes into play as much. That'd be better for a more mobile character, or a sniper.

Research: Xeno-Biology. Seems about time to advance the plot to me.

I don't think I've mentioned yet, but I have no opinion on the policies. Don't care about colors, don't really have a strong preference on who to use for covert ops.

OrcusMcP
2015-05-07, 08:38 PM
Yeah, getting to a full six squad ASAP is very important.

Squark
2015-05-07, 08:41 PM
I'd say Iron Will over wet work if you can- extra willpower is really nice, and it doesn't work retroactively. I agree with Zevox regarding Grif and Zevox. As for John's promotion, well... She's got lousy aim, but she's going to be up close and personal anyway, and heavies are the only MECs with any defense worth speaking of. I'd say reactive targeting, especially since one of the final abilities for MECs is a reaction shot for the first time you get shot at in a turn.

With laser rifles and carapace armor, we should be able to start saving money for alien containment and the... zappy thing, so Alien Biology, ho!

EDIT: Oh, yeah, Squad Size ASAP unless you suddenly become determined to do a four-man run the whole way through for the achievement.

Sam cw
2015-05-09, 12:26 AM
Another vote for Squad Size, they're the best abilities in the game for their cost.

MCerberus
2015-05-09, 08:40 PM
Only one combat this time because there's a load of promotions and we hit our first terror mission, I'd like to bring the A-squad.
This is the story of OPERATION UNCEASING PALACE. Good job random name generator, you've outdone "Stone Moon". Those palaces man, they never give up
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390073086213/EA5C9F16E45E9E2746C15B70B771ACDE1BAEE6C8/
*snerk*
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390073086325/A67640E5366F7592CE477BFB3D270138E599873F/
"Hi, I'm the guy with the crazy alien whatsit. There are humans and aliens that want to kill me. I shot a sectoid and threw my gun away. Because reasons"
Offer that man a job
John: "Come with me if you want to live"
"Only if I can be a heavy so I don't use pistols. Man, forget pistols. A pistol killed my father. Not a guy with a pistol, just a pistol.
That man just made Sergeant.
John: GAZE INTO THE FIST OF JOHN.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390073086459/EF8B3114ED0876293B04EAAC82E4BE7091F8C3A4/

Reference not a cyborg or robot, but I'll allow it. Wonderful thing about MECs is that you can bait out the chrissies easy without putting a trooper in the ER/zombie super fun target range.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390073086581/C01ABD8207F314628A46659E800124E27C294053/
"I know we just woke up half the city with lasers and rocket fire, but can I just recite some poetry real quick."
You just made officer.

Promotions, what for
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390073086840/6B2C55372349689026AC86E17DE05A305681FE36/
Extra tanking vs later-game damage boost

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390073086967/7AB58FCB16819584469EB203989174B8E4063076/
Pistol damage vs immune to crits. Either way, pretty sweet for covert ops

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390073087258/9D2133D050C245085035A0551054978969B68AD1/
Not named after a forumer so you guys can't stop me from turning him into a support-firing reaction shot machine

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390073086719/70411D21DE3B73F03629B049BB49DB40C3375C47/
*is wishing Zevox was a sniper* More smoke vs suppression

We've also got a couple of Lt.s and all our council missions are giving cash, may want to get a more solid answer on what else to buy here, or just carapace armor x5
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390073087135/13EC6D24E726723B1391A55BFB486EAE6EC98F3D/

Here's the best of our soldiers. We have twelve. Not shown: 1 redshirt, 2 blackshirt rookies.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390073087380/823FB89A03BC0C4A2A6F4C3323AE413B9D373C39/
Grif - white
John - red
Zevox - black
Krikkit, Squark - red if I remember
We have ablue sniper and def a blue assault

Can we talk about John's callsign? It may be cheating, but I'm making a policy vote for pink MECs. It's too perfect.
So far it looks like biology next.
After the terror mission, I'll get the map up. We've got three birds. After the month hits, we'll talk building projects

Up for votes: Pink MECs yea/nea
Wet Work?
Promotions
We have a few volunteers/potentials for limb chopping. Who gets chopped? (vote none for nobody)

also can we just note the insane stat growth John's gotten since will became useless for her?
Eldest, we have the types of shirts for you, but they're all still rookies. Need to get them promoted before naming so we get the right class.

Zevox
2015-05-09, 10:28 PM
Promotions:
- MEC Trooper: Damage Control seems more useful to me.
- Binks: I don't see Gunslinger being that useful on a support, so I say Crit Immunity.
- Me: Suppression, especially since I have holo-targeting as well.

Things to buy:
- Four or five Carapace Armor sounds good, and is only $100-125 out of that 400, so I'd say definitely go with that.
- We should also be able to afford Wet Work or Iron Will. I've never thought grabbing Iron Will early was that important myself, so I'm inclined toward Wet Work, but if others prefer Iron Will, so be it.

More MECs: Don't see a need for one at this time. Honestly, I think I only ever made two the one time I played Enemy Within, mostly to test each version of the suit, and only wound up using one of them much.

MCerberus
2015-05-09, 10:35 PM
Promotions:
- Binks: I don't see Gunslinger being that useful on a support, so I say Crit Immunity.

Binks is an assault, I just put a laser rifle because it's better than stock shotgun.

Grif
2015-05-09, 11:01 PM
Pink MEC, yes! :smalltongue:

Binks: I'd say Crit Immunity is more useful general all-purpose skill. (Not being critted at all is just... good.)

Zevox: Voting for suppression. Smoke almost always triggers the AI to throw grenades instead, which is bad. (Removes cover and all that jazz.)

John: Damage control. Nothing to see here.

A backup MEC would be useful, but honestly optional. Leaning towards no until we have more spare cash.

Zevox
2015-05-09, 11:51 PM
Binks is an assault, I just put a laser rifle because it's better than stock shotgun.
Ah. Still, same vote. I have a bit of a hard time seeing Gunslinger as that useful on anyone that's not a sniper, entirely because the other guns lack sniper rifles' limitation on moving and attacking. Though I guess an assault could use it as a longer-range weapon while carrying a shotgun, but eh, I don't think that's a big enough benefit to warrant passing crit immunity.

MCerberus
2015-05-10, 12:18 PM
Ah. Still, same vote. I have a bit of a hard time seeing Gunslinger as that useful on anyone that's not a sniper, entirely because the other guns lack sniper rifles' limitation on moving and attacking. Though I guess an assault could use it as a longer-range weapon while carrying a shotgun, but eh, I don't think that's a big enough benefit to warrant passing crit immunity.

The main draw for pistols on assault is covert ops. Assaults are just super great with those with rapid fire all the reaction shot perks, and run n gun. But crit immunity also really helps keep them alive for covert ops as well.

RagingKrikkit
2015-05-10, 12:23 PM
I vote we hold off on wetwork until after we get iron will, so as not to get a bunch of promotions and then get the will boost.

Binks
2015-05-11, 10:20 AM
Promotions:
MEC - Damage Control
Me - Immunity to Crits is always great for an assault. I don't know how Covert Ops work exactly though, so maybe gunslinger is better for that? Still voting for crit immunity though.
Zevox - Ugh. I've never really liked either smoke grenades or suppression. I'll vote for Suppression though, as it's the better of the two IMHO

Buying:
I vote Carapace x5 myself. Officer training upgrades are nice, but keeping experienced troopers alive is worth a lot more I'd say

Research:
Keeping my vote on Bio next

More MECs - I'm not certain on this, as I've never played the expansion. Going to vote for not me though, as I think the Assault + Immune Crits is heading in the direction of covert ops rather than heavy MEC-ing.

JohnTheSavage
2015-05-11, 02:27 PM
Promotions:
Me: Damage Control, improves ability to assault enemies.
Binks: Putting in my vote for gunslinger, since on covert ops, you shouldn't really be shot at that much anyway by abusing comm towers. Gunslinger is also most useful to the assault class, since the damage bonus is effectively increased by rapid-fire and gives the shotgun assault a longer ranged option.
Zevox: Suppression, since it is a bit hard to get with training roulette and it synergises well with holo-targeting.

I vote getting just iron will in the training school for the time being, then getting a squads worth of carapace armour.

Research: Start working on bio, so we can capture aliens for research boosts.

I wouldn't recommend any more limb chopping this early, all that money and meld should be going elsewhere.
Might want to consider building a gene lab and getting your genetic engineering on, especially since we seem to be grooming Binks for covert ops.

MCerberus
2015-05-11, 06:31 PM
Commander. I feel... pretty
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390080306261/00F65DEA506D7283FE873236F0CE419D03745B97/

And so does the panic level in Africa completely bottom out
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390080305831/184C3CF314369E2407CE165DDB9530E5C2202B8C/

I'd like to point out that I didn't buy wet work yet because we haven't really come to a consensus
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390080305990/9D0A7CB565D8356BE360001C2E773805941AF883/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390080306141/BE9687A0315BB73DB05DEB001F3C44BCAFD517F1/
Hey look, one of the reasons assault is OP

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390080306261/00F65DEA506D7283FE873236F0CE419D03745B97/
MECs don't appear to be random. Jet boots vs turning into cover

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390080306406/2FFDBE40244A38E8B28126F15A914CD8928C5568/
Zevox continues having an absurd aim and terrible perks. Double reaction shots vs revive

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390080306532/7375E51E4A43E167D1468E299C7E15AE993156CD/
Double grenades vs the zone of danger (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRU3I_o1vLc)

We also have a new medal
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390080306790/00905EF2D672A5DD58986D8107C94497DDE55063/

Eldest is a blackshirt support squaddie. RNG being what it is, we're drowning in heavies/supports

Splashed another UFO
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390080306966/800632EE622C22E29FEBA21A015ED0A06320BC0C/

Got all the meld. Last two aliens were squiddlies. So I just parked everyone together
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390080307092/67C938636601A12D0328AB9781FF2D1875BE55BF/

Aliens: "hurrr Ima get you. what can go bad"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390080307225/ED70C14A46BF84B986AF97BE47BAB3FFD3364BFD/

Sniper promotion
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390080307395/50FCF98B726FD908785A221EDE1CA7FC8E81D9A4/
Something smells like squadsight.

And finally, ABDUCTIONS
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390080307531/542C6C8B7481F7C16D12756462862B5A2DDC7AA6/
Japan gives us a Lt. Sniper
Germany credits
Brazil science

Here's what the panic map looks like right now. It'll get a little weird, but we have 3 sats ready to go that need to launch.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529515390080306660/B5E1AEF9C84E34B5E3C4DE1DA096B5D26DA2FB74/
Canada: 140
Mexico: 50
Brazil:90
Egypt: 70
Nigeria: 50
UK: 0
Russia: 110
France: 60
Germany: 60
China: 160
Japan: 150
India: 50
Australia: 120

So, we have 5 promotions. 1 medal. 3 sats to launch. Abductions
No country will panic if we don't respond to their continent's abductions, but it'll be close no matter what. 2 of Argentina, France, Australia will be in this state
Also grif just hit Captain, and we're about to get paid. Spam out officer training?
start a project to get a containment chamber up?

Zevox
2015-05-11, 09:15 PM
So many things to go over. First, promotions:

Binks: Close and Personal, easy. Great ability.
MEC: If memory serves I wound up preferring the Jet Boots at this level, though either look good in theory.
Me: As much as Revive is in line with being a Support soldier and I pretty much always pick it for mine, double reaction shots with that aim is very tempting, so I'll tentatively vote for that.
Grif: Danger Zone!
Newbie Sniper: Squadsight, every time. (Odd that he got both of the normal Sniper options for that rank.)

New medal: Aim/Will for missions with no deaths seems like the better one to me.

Mission/Satellites: I guess Germany. Everything's in the same boat panic-wise: the country the mission is in is low, but another country on its continent is at 3, so the results will be more or less the same all around. With this though South America though we can just launch satellites over both countries to negate it and pick up the continent bonus, and shoot the third over Australia to keep them in okay shape. And I'd generally take money or scientists/engineers over new soldiers as a reward, personally. Kinda wish I could say Brazil to get scientists, since we're likely low on them, but getting panic on the South American countries before launching satellites over the whole continent is too convenient.

Officer Training: since a couple of others stated they want to get Iron Will, I say go for that. Also, Squad Size 2, definitely. Don't know if we want to pour more money into Officer Training yet though - need to start work on more stallites and a new array for them, I'm sure.

Containment Chamber sounds good.

Squark
2015-05-11, 09:24 PM
Definately Close and Personal on Binks
Jet boots are another easy call. Using an MEC as cover is like shouting "GRENADE HERE, PLEASE"
Zevox: Double Reaction shots. Without three uses of the medpac, there's not a lot of point in carrying one, frankly.
Grif: Danger zone. Blow up all the things
New Sniper: Squadsight unless you feel like cheesing things with a mimetic skin snap shot in the zone sniper. Incidentally, weapon-specific perks like a lot of the sniper's abilities are locked in place, so that's why the sniper has the normal choices (Which is why I mentioned the cheese- All those abilities are locked in for the sniper).

Medal: +Aim, +Will is always awesome

I second Zevox's plan with regards to mission/satellite placement, and that'll set us up for captures, so alien containment sounds like a go.

Eldest
2015-05-11, 11:11 PM
Eldest is a blackshirt support squaddie. RNG being what it is, we're drowning in heavies/supports

Hooray, I exist!

The Hellbug
2015-05-12, 12:25 AM
This looks like fun, hook me up with one of them high will, low aim soldiers (white I think?).

So many things to go over. First, promotions:

Newbie Sniper: Squadsight, every time. (Odd that he got both of the normal Sniper options for that rank.)

Containment Chamber sounds good.

Snipers always get those two. Whenever there is a position in the level-up tree that has a skill that requires a specific weapon type (squadsight and snap shot for snipers, shredder rockets for heavies), that potential perk is fixed in place, even with random abilities.

JohnTheSavage
2015-05-12, 12:58 AM
Promotions:
Binks: Close and Personal, no question
Me: Jet Boots so I can punch aliens who are high up
Zevox: Double reaction shots, take advantage of that high aim stat
Grif: I'm actually going to say grenadier here. Since he doesn't have suppression, both skills are just different ways to blow stuff up, and more grenades means that yeah, he'll do less explosive damage, but explosive damage becomes less useful in the later game anyway, what you want is maximum capacity to destroy cover rather than damage enemies. Also, with Enemy Within's support grenades, like the ghost and flashbang grenades, you can make him into a more versatile supporter for the squad. The default rocket radius is big enough for most situations anyway and I find that danger zone just forces me to accidentally kill civilians or destroy valuable UFO parts.

I'm in agreement with Zevox on satellite placement, South America and Australia, then do the Germany abduction.

New Medal: Aim + Will, the lone wolf upgrade really isn't very good.

Binks
2015-05-12, 10:29 AM
Promotions:
Me: Awesome! Close and Personal is amazing, definitely voting for that.
MEC: No vote from me, I'm not familiar enough with either ability to know which is best
Zevok: Eh. Revive and Double Reaction aren't amazing, but they can be pretty good. I usually prefer double reaction myself so voting for that.
Grif: I have to vote for...Danger Zone
Sniper: Squadsight is all you ever want with a sniper

Medal:
Mission completed one gets my vote

Abductions/Satellites:
I was going to vote differently, but after glancing at the other votes Zevox's plan is great, so I'm voting for that (mission Germany, launch over South America and Australia).

Building/Training: Iron Will seems worth it at this point, but I'd personally say dump the rest of the money into more satellites (MORE SATELLITES!) and working towards containment chamber.

Grif
2015-05-12, 11:46 AM
I'm just here to say that I have surprisingly low Will and Aim despite having made Captain. :smallbiggrin: Could be more appropriately called high-ranked cannon fodder at this point.

MCerberus
2015-05-12, 12:11 PM
I'm just here to say that I have surprisingly low Will and Aim despite having made Captain. :smallbiggrin: Could be more appropriately called high-ranked cannon fodder at this point.

Don't worry, Slingshot will introduce the mutons. That's when the casualties start, the plasma spamming, grenade tossing chunks of hp.

Lunch hour musing of potential projects follow:

Our air force is a disgrace. We've got stock interceptors with no boosts. Alien biology + instant autopsies will help, but we'd have to go down further laser research for guns.
Gene lab - I mostly say this because of Zevox. Zevox is a load of aim without any really amazing perks. So playing the small bonus and situational game will make a super-soldier
Foundry - and here's where our money is going to end up. We're getting arc throwers. I'd really like to get 2 equipment slots ASAP in particular so that stunning isn't suicide.
Satellite expansion - also super expensive. We have only one free slot, and it looks like that's taken up by containment. Elevator + steam generator (yay) + sats + uplink. We'd get 3 more, and it would get us European coverage or complete Africa for cash

MCerberus
2015-05-12, 06:27 PM
Well Berlin goes alright. Zevox got squiddled and is out for 8 days though
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441112161423/CC1939260B86F33505C66E1EDF322F6F6A86EEC9/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441112161713/3B313FB41DE3B0CEDC9A06821472C1F0FF813E30/

One promotion, Rapid fire vs revive
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441112161598/5E92D977E3FDB441493F540379D7A0A3590A2867/
The sniper is Starbuck btw

And here's the end of the month stuff
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441112161833/8BFFA1C6781574173B93982B2ABFEA8CD1C6F0D4/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441112161993/C79913CEA2F4820EEC3205D1433CBCD8D8AA1EAC/

Both alien biology and carapace armor hit before the next combat, so NEW TOYS
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441112162532/FB42525510B34308A52489A874A38243E61B4842/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441112162260/63256CB07D10F4B0785288F4272E3376B1469056/

Picking up South America immediately pays dividends because we get a large UFO. It would have been a dead interceptor and a lost sat without the boosts

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441112162384/26A31C801C7ED3E8C697A2640AB107E6E9CE0512/
Hey look, a 3 pack of chyssis against two heavies and a sniper. This could go wrong
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441112162659/5CCAA806BE98A60F8B5A01896EE6CB77380C417D/
Manage to wreck two of them the turn but Squark takes one for the team. As a squaddie that may have killed her sans new armor

aaaaaaaaand Muties. Johnthesavage almost bit it, but no crits and much punching, ending the encounter with 4hp
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441112162763/9A8D6D8A2311C6D155FD0DDCC87E883332877E68/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441112162856/55E8DA5D265FD471DF31A51D1C4CB58B967F4231/

Two promotions

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441112162957/D4175B6D02695D806AD06B33296BF23F88D83B22/
holo targetting vs revive
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441112163061/F87FDAEF773B59F04F155EA0B70D57C47D13C98C/
executioner vs more crit damage

We've got arc throwers, we're building the chamber. Let's look at the next couple of researches
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441112163180/D91E325F5E2F551E4CA9A630FE880508477E685A/

So. 3 promotions. Research. Start project to build more sats is popular, do that?

Squark
2015-05-12, 07:36 PM
Binks continues to get great promotions. Go with Rapid fire- Assaults want body armor or Arc Throwers, not medpacs.
Executioner for Eldest- Supports don't flank well, so we won't see crits too often.
Starbuck's is tricky- Neither really fits a sniper. I'd say holo-targetting, but I'm admittedly not a fan of savior.

Research: I lean towards heavy lasers- Railguns for MECs, Heavy Lasers for Heavies, and laser cannons for our fighters. Precision Lasers isn't bad, but by the sounds of it our interceptors need an upgrade anyway. Alternatively, we could go for UFO Navigation so we could build satellite Nexuses.

Satellite Coverage was generally my first goal, so I say go for that. Advancing the plot can wait, especially since that can trigger advances in the difficulty

Also, just a question- Did I just get wounded, or are we on Squark II now?

MCerberus
2015-05-12, 08:26 PM
No you're just in the medbay, but we have another heavy sitting in the clone bay for... what they think is frogert

Binks
2015-05-12, 08:53 PM
Oh wow. Loving the upgrades for my guy thus far.

Promotions:
Me - Rapid Fire
Starbuck - Holo
Eldest - Executioner

Research: I vote heavy lasers to get better interceptors going

More Satellites? MORE SATELLITES! :P

MCerberus
2015-05-14, 06:33 PM
Immediate alien abductions. I hate to do this to you guys, but there IS NO question here. We ignore Asia at this point and the whole continent goes to pot
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441119709118/C187E4B0E230D830F4F6AE2BB0174F230CAFC40B/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441119709417/D0ADCA3FC4D66D78C5F132F74519EFFF9C45492A/

Promotions! Except Grif!
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441119709634/B9348FB25455EF2038C3AC8A033D87C8A9E71EC1/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441119709783/37D6F1AE9B53F4D566612525A6E954D42F7BFC5B/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441119709928/6E9D30C1072C1D0B00A5DA721AE7DC3FA2CC6D49/
This last one is the most interesting. More uses of stuff we don't have vs free health repair now

Hey there's the containment chamber. And it's got a corporate sponsor. Everyone bow down before the ACME Explosives and Coyote Supply Fun Don't tell the APA Zone! Hey we get a discount on our rocket launchers.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441119710102/971415FF010A43D4333C5BB4CA772A4E70B5C830/

Large scout landed in South Africa. Spoiler. Things went bad
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441119710213/C9B2C0E505324E414A1CC85F607184B9DDB92789/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441119710335/3E4F134A65355677F59ADD0380D8C473D36562F6/

Krikkit died when two ACME brand "bird smasher" rockets went wide on one turn and was ripped up by Mutons. The stinger, a pistol crit made it so that we never captured one.
As for the redshirt. THAT WAS A GOOD CLONE *smashes mug* ANOTHER

Grif hit major, with holo targetting. Grif ended up with a massive support/utility loadout. Zevox hit Captain
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441119710671/DFE18123FA57EB73ABBFD37C1F3B4FE16C323CD5/

Heavy lasers is almost done. We'll need new research. I'm expanding the basement as fast as I can, building a thermal generator and carving out our next uplink. Have the sats building.

And buckle up boys and girls
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893441119710873/50D3CA6B7CDD9CA228B74DE4C22EC1A861DCCC12/
Slingshot just activated.

So promotions, research, and we need to look at promotions. We're down to 10.

Squark
2015-05-14, 07:16 PM
Revive for Eldest. Smoke grenades are situational most of the time.
Cover Fire for Starbuck the Second, I think. I prefer disabling shot on snap shot snipers because newly revealed sectopods have a frustrating habit of being out of line of sight.
Expanded Capacity for John. 2 uses of Healing Mist or whatever it's called is worth it's weight in gold.
Dense Smoke for Zevox. Combat Drugs is awkward, but there are times when you just need a massive defense boost.

Alien Navigation Computer or Precision Lasers for research

RagingKrikkit
2015-05-14, 07:19 PM
Oh. Nice. Right off the bat. I think that's the shortest lifespan I've ever had in an XCOM game, and that's saying something.

MCerberus
2015-05-14, 07:25 PM
Oh. Nice. Right off the bat. I think that's the shortest lifespan I've ever had in an XCOM game, and that's saying something.

Well we're two and a half months in. The fact that we've lost 3 total is actually pretty good.
Would you like to be reincarnated the remaining blank?

Zevox
2015-05-14, 09:06 PM
Promotions:

Eldest: Revive. I don't know about anyone else, but I often don't even use Smoke Grenade once in a mission, much less twice.
Sniper: Disabling Shot. I've always found Covering Fire nigh useless since it'll usually mean the overwatch triggers against an enemy in cover, making the shot unlikely to connect because of the combined effect of overwatch aim penalty and cover defense bonus.
MEC: I recall being much happier with Repair Servos on my MECs, so I'll vote for that.
Me: Dense Smoke. Aside from very late-game shenanigans boosting peoples' chances to mind control something hard to mind control, I've not really seen a good reason to take the alternative.

Research: Lets get Precision Lasers to round out our laser arsenal.

RagingKrikkit
2015-05-14, 09:41 PM
Well we're two and a half months in. The fact that we've lost 3 total is actually pretty good.
Would you like to be reincarnated the remaining blank?

What difficulty are we on again? My first game it took me till May 8th to loose my first trooper.

Anyway, sure, let's give it another shot. Call it total reconstructive surgery.

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-05-15, 07:35 AM
This looks fun! Sign me up for... Pink shirt? I rather fancy seeing myself in a MEC suit if possible. Rocket punches for great justice!

Votes:

-Promos:

Eldest: Dense Smoke. Revive is nice and all, but Dense Smoke means not taking hits, which is even better.
Zevox: Dense Smoke again. Free full cover for everyone, and it stacks with regular cover bonuses. Even Mutons can't hit jack with a -80 aim penalty :smallamused:
Starbuck: Disabling Shot. Neutralising a big threat for a turn is really handy.
John 'Rosie' the Savage: Increased capacity. 50% moar dakka on the main gun, more Collateral Damage, more grenades, more healing mists, more proxy mines... What's not to love?

-Research: Precision lasers to round out the arsenal while we wait on Plasma, I s'pose.

Squark
2015-05-15, 04:42 PM
Enhanced Repair is better for MECs that are off on their own because it doesn't require an action. MECs who stick close to the party will get just as much healing from the second tier MEC upgrade, but will also be able to heal nearby squadmates with that action, and they need to reload much less often as well (The stock MEC gun has enough ammo for 2 shots)

JohnTheSavage
2015-05-16, 02:52 AM
Promotions:
Eldest: Smoke and Mirrors (that is what that is isn't it?), since it's probably unlikely we'll get any more medkit promotions for him later and revive on its own is situational as all hell.
Zevox: Dense Smoke, since I'd rather have portable high cover than a small will bonus.
Me: Repair Servos. Expanded storage has a lot of utility but with an assault MEC you want maximum movement and tanking ability. Repair servos boosts both since it makes a MEC more tanky and doesn't take an action, essentially freeing up an action point for movement or attacking over healing, whether that's using mist for self heal or running to a medic.
Starbuck: Disabling shot. Useful in lots of situations and invaluable against will controlled soldiers and Sectopods.

MCerberus
2015-05-18, 09:45 PM
Again, sorry Krikkit but damage roulette + double rocket misses = dead soldier

Anyway, this is a short one because abductions. I was expecting to get past both parts of Slingshot.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893948272742538/186EC6CEDFE9824735882439ACEA81BF116CA6AD/
Commander, I believe this train is flirting with me
No soldier, trains don't flirt. Did you run straight to the control panel so you could claim this?
I enjoy being useful.
How do you even use a control panel with robo-fists?
Reasons

Right. So we successful intercept the battleship CLEARLY BEFORE IT REACHED THE CITY
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893948272742724/2F338F47EF46DAE36A48485DD94EC080EFB2136C/
Oh look it's in the city. Why did this work again?

No promotions, Grif ate a crit from a thin man and goes into recovery time. Oddly because of his triple medpack perk. If he had a vest, it would have fully absorbed the shot. I would really like to get a foundry up for double equipment soon.

Abductions. And it's bad
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/532893948272742883/BFF31AB6650A004B0FF31AC8266FA898B491271D/

We lose Canada and Mexico or Japan. We better hope we get a council mission with panic reduction. Excavation is completing but we won't get an uplink in time.
200 credits from Canada
Scientists from Germany
Engineers from China

Zevox
2015-05-18, 10:05 PM
Didn't we already lose an Asian nation? Australia, I think? If that's the case, go to Canada, since losing two countries and a potential continent bonus is easily worse than losing one country on a continent whose bonus we already lost.

Squark
2015-05-20, 01:04 PM
We have North America's continent bonus already thanks to starting in the US, though. What's the cash breakdown for Canada and Mexico vs. Japan?

If Japan gives us a decent stipend and one of the other two doesn't, I'd say throw North America under the bus, since Asia's continent bonus is really nice (Unless we actually have lost Australia, in which case we go Canada all the way)

Zevox
2015-05-20, 01:06 PM
We have North America's continent bonus already thanks to starting in the US, though. What's the cash breakdown for Canada and Mexico vs. Japan?
Ah, right, forgot about the automatic continent bonus for the location you start in. Still, can't imagine saving one country over two is going to be better.

MCerberus
2015-05-20, 03:24 PM
Canada: 140
Mexico: 50
Japan: 150

Australia was saved via sat launch and is giving us 120

Zevox
2015-05-20, 03:35 PM
Oh? Then have we not lost the chance to get Asia's continent bonus? Hm, that might change things...

What does everyone think? I'm honestly not sure in this case.

Squark
2015-05-20, 03:36 PM
I'd let the rest of North America go. Losing Canada hurts a bit, but keeping the Asian continent bonus seems worth it.

Binks
2015-05-21, 09:19 AM
Asia bonus seems worth going for if it's still possible.

RagingKrikkit
2015-05-22, 10:05 PM
Make that 3 in favor of Asia.

MCerberus
2015-05-24, 01:56 PM
HEADLINE NEWS!

We can save Canada and Mexico. I checked the numbers and if we research the outsider shard ASAP we can attack the base. It's close. If the alien base ends up in India or something the interceptor may arrive too late close. No abductions ATM, just lots of after-action and promotions.

BTW, I mistyped when I said engineers from Asia, we got an Assault. Currently major too. So, with permission I'd like to send him to the 'happy memory room' and imprint Krikkit on him instead of using one of our two disposables.

First, we shall see how the RNG handles the entire squad in overwatch when the squiddles appear
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529516542737318728/4FAF238432B676C848FE65CFAA3F164C21310CC5/
*sad trombone*

Luckily Zevox wasn't put into recovery for that.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529516542737318875/C936C865E80AD905CD2A66BFDA50D9DD3903AEB4/
I love the smell of meld in the morning, smells like victory.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529516542737319036/F18F1827EA900D6C3FBEA775C3B88C1800605233/

pfft santa

Immediately afterwards, the last part of Slingshot hits. Squark has to ride the bench because this is SUPER SERIOUS mission and we don't have enough laser MGs
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529516542737319641/57833ACD7DD6F880649C06568AFCB682B2EBC05B/
The random operation name ACTUALLY FOR ONCE came up with something appropriate, considering this is a battleship that was about to destroy Bejing before we ambushed it

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529516542737319771/8B0CADAC533FC2CE8C5D8BE84907B52F21134E7E/
First cyberdisk encountered #rekt

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529516542737319898/FC06864E542E4FDC36E69F68528B2923DAC16250/
you see this exploded idiot here? It took me half an hour to kill him because he jump onto the rafters. The only way to get at him was using the jetboot module, and it was hellishly difficult because the cursor made the terrain disappear when I tried to move up there. Jerk

And directly after that EXALT shows their ugly faces
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529516542737320295/C7639BEB95AA3EFB2B4D7F0DB1EE8BEACE304527/
"Commander, the aliens have some kind of fan club/people exploiting them in order to fulfill a centuries-long play for power."
Wait, so they're the illuminati?
"Pretty much"
And it's an alien conspiracy
"Yes"
So the ancient aliens guy
"was right about everything"
My god...
"Will this interfere with your penchant for mass slaughter, commander?"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA no

Right so then, promotions
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529516542737319177/D6359FF630C28ADE4585A003F4BF6CA30577F13C/
more sprinting or reduce damage in cover... for a sniper.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529516542737319375/3595C2C62AF552C10324795550450868166AFCFE/
How does one become Santa anyway?

Here's our new assault, awaiting memory erasure and stuff
"what was that?"
we appreciate you as a person
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529516542737319510/634545E2CC44DBFF87BABE253157CC6DAA8697D6/

John hit major, which gave her the ability to completely empty her weapon in one round
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529516542737320147/18A207FBBE575FA15573834FA58A7F37917AC3EC/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529516542737320425/5BDD625D1BDF8E1CD7DD4228018CBDAE48038389/
Squark, seemingly volunteering to run in front of things in overwatch for our amusement.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/529516542737320548/4413B6A9A67BFE8CABE7983FB306EAC1B0755AB1/
Binks, super medpacks vs being an indestructible monster

So we have 3 promotions
Rush the alien base to save Canada/Mexico?
Pretty early next month precision lasers are going to complete, what's after that?

RagingKrikkit
2015-05-25, 12:07 PM
This new body appears... adequate.

*ASSUMING CONTROL*

Eldest
2015-05-26, 09:41 AM
Rush the base! What could possibly go wrong?

Grif
2015-05-26, 09:55 AM
Voting for alien base goodness :smalltongue:

(Since we apparently haven't triggered mutons proper yet, this is a slightly easier run.)

Binks
2015-05-26, 10:30 AM
Promotions:
Starbuck - More sprinting gets my vote. Ideally the sniper should never even be taking fire, and being able to reach slightly further away cover in one move can help with the first turn setup.
Eldest - I love me some double overwatch. What's the other ability (I haven't played X-Com recently enough to recognize the abilities by picture). Unless it's amazing my vote goes to Sentinel.
Squark - Lightning Reflexes is amazing.
Me - Extra Conditioning.

Oh wow. Crit immunity, Close and Personal, Rapid Fire and Conditioning? I'm a monster...:smalltongue:

Mission:
Rush the base seems good if it has a chance of putting off more country losses.

Research:
I vote we start working on better interceptors, so Heavy Lasers I guess? Seems like we're in alright shape on the group with laser weapons and decent armor, but the air force seems to be starting to have issues.

Squark
2015-05-26, 12:48 PM
Lightning Reflexes for myself. I'm still fodder, but this way I can clear overwatch and live to be shot during the enemy turn!
Eldest: Supports generally do close quarters fighting, so Sentinel seems a better pick than Damn Good Ground
Starbuck: Getting my squadsight snipers into proper position is always my biggest frustration. Seconding the vote for sprinter.
Extra Conditioning for Binks. With titan armor, Chitin Plating, and Armored Underlay, he will be nigh-unkillable.

Let's be gutsy and rush the base.

Regarding research: I'd say alien navigation. Sattelite Nexus will help, and it'll open up the door to blaster launchers, which are always fun.

Zevox
2015-05-26, 07:18 PM
Well, since everyone else is saying to go for the Alien base, I guess we're doing that regardless of what I say, so no need to think about it. :smallwink:

Promotions:
- Sniper: Sprint, I suppose. Extra move means it's easier to get into a new position when he needs to.
- Eldest: Eh, double reaction I guess.
- Squark: Lightning Reflexes, easy.
- Binks: Extra Conditioning. Those medpack perks just don't look as good when you can't get the whole line of them, do they?

Research: I think it's time we get the Foundry going and start towards getting better interceptors. Experimental Warfare is our next step in that, yeah? (Had to look this up in the wiki, I don't remember the research tree myself.)

MCerberus
2015-05-27, 06:59 PM
And so the the brave heroes sally forth. They knew the risks, and still they went. For now is the time and there are no others. The world's supply of agave and maple syrup is at risk. The party is the world's last, best hope at saving "tequila and pancakes Friday".

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983152580410/113A4FDE989E42A0712C1BA376E0FCB7F08C87EB/
How did you even get the robot down there on this stealth mission?
"I fell down so many stairs"
You've been watching Robocop again haven't you?
"ED is my hero"

Right so then moving on.
You see this yawning chasm into nothingness?
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983152580534/E5B690D06D64AADC3F9EECC3633E8AEDF07252E1/

I boxed in mutons in there, safely trapped so I can move an arc thrower in. One of them was punched into the infinite. So I need to move in the squad to weaken and trap right? LASER RIFLE CRIT *ded*

"MY MIND! GET OUT OF MY MIND CHARLES"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983152580652/325DD2E69A1C63022547C426366AFA20891078D3/
THERE ARE NO ROBOTS IN THAT MOVIE

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983152580762/6E061B92F00289F5B562B61DDB3F18D57AED39E0/
This is a bizarrely low chance critical courtesy of "I have like 0 aim" Grif, heroically killing off an exceptionally valuable target as two assaults were coming in for a capture.

SOOOOOOOOOOO no prisoners

Only one promotion, and to major
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983152580869/C4AA7C683CEAE4DB7085E1EB6FF3BD8620ED7139/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983152581037/38963F25B303EF85272BC447CD5A18947AD5DBFD/
Alien entertainment? It seems to be talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alOD36LdoY4

I'm keeping it.

End of month status screens
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983152581173/4AEB420A00D4D2A452AA49CB99958254C003ED91/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983152581309/A69072CF8A7C524307848F9AE50D5E2049FE6E2D/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983152581455/0FAE826F20C0C20FCF1B69069876912792DCC435/

Current cash supply:975

So we need a new couple of research projects.
Do we build the foundry?
EVEN MOAR SATELLITES?
Can we afford 10 creds a month for covert ops scans?
Recruitment?
Do we finally pick up the missing officer trainings?
Do we chop up another "volunteer" that various people have been asking in thread about?

Grif
2015-05-27, 08:24 PM
Go me! No mercy! :smalltongue:

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-05-28, 03:14 AM
*raises hand and jumps up and down like an excited child*

Oh, oh! Mr Commander, sir! Pick me for the brutal dismemberment! You won't regret the choice sir! I've never been all that attached to my humanity, honest!

Voting:

-Foundry for sure.
-Always have at least one satellite handy, my dad always said.
-EXALT Missions are a pain, but EXALT stealing you're hard-earned $$$ is even more of a pain. Scan.

Go me! No mercy!

Purge the Xeno scum!

Binks
2015-05-28, 11:31 AM
Nice. DGG on a sniper is always fun.

Building:
Getting at least 1 satellite in reserve should be top priority.
I'd put Foundry immediately after that.

Research:
I vote Flight Computer. Better Interceptors please.

Other:
Covert Ops Scan gets a tentative vote from me to go. Sounds like the penalty is bad if we don't and the cost is pretty minor. But, then again, I haven't faced Exalt before so what do I know?
I'm not a huge fan of most of the officer trainings myself (I've finished most of my games without grabbing them all) so I'm not overly excited to go for them unless necessary.

Grif
2015-05-28, 12:01 PM
Other:
Covert Ops Scan gets a tentative vote from me to go. Sounds like the penalty is bad if we don't and the cost is pretty minor. But, then again, I haven't faced Exalt before so what do I know?
I'm not a huge fan of most of the officer trainings myself (I've finished most of my games without grabbing them all) so I'm not overly excited to go for them unless necessary.

The scans doubles in cost each time we use them for the month, IIRC. (I never actually paid much attention to them, tbh.)

Also, I just noticed you randomised the funding given by each nation. The US is only giving us a paltry $50 per month.

MCerberus
2015-05-30, 09:53 AM
So turns out shenanigans are going on in Japan, so let's go kill some illuminatis
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162654596/818FD70ECD46C7288B3D2DCBED622B325B0B61C3/

We need to get double equipment and titan armor so we can go crazy with the health bars. some of them are already ridiculous
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162654765/5264B813C4C29F5C0B41C33E398AC17D1B61DF75/

EXALT: "hey let's run straight into the cap zone with everyone having weapons trained on it"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162654909/2962FC65E11DB7229D3EB9872D1E02E1CB601651/

Promotions:
Grif hit Col.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162655050/3B06445AFCBFCB3576AE7404CBEB79746DAFAEFD/

Binks is the Juggernaut, ****
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162655209/3C28EA4F5871CA882C82EFDE4C884F08A1C1C713/

The Foundry is up and running
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162655342/2E71AC2F53E91FD57449C11D882E9388601ADE92/
Not pictured: double equipment and upgrading MECs

Mechanical crew: "humans, nothing is wrong"
Kitchen staff: "there is no poison in the food, puny humans"
Well everything appears completely normal. Except the base is under attack
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162655755/5D419029A0996259F21FC76F415B68C85A5A7294/
We only have one of those jerks! Really wish we had more... Like every time there's abductions

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162655906/EA7DC42F513C4AF853C9B1E7AE8E6A28D7AD769A/
Aaaand we have MECtoids. Had grif Shredder rocket one and the nameless security drones just tossed nades at it for eternity

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162656038/D5DE8BC19FD518733216EF4618447D48078A2776/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162656161/A1FAE704CF6ED25E3F0F347E49F521024EF2A550/
They died how they lived, attracting fire away from people we actually care about.

The most advanced robotics from two different societies. Let's make them punch each other
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162656267/A89A27CA008D13C3E18159CD8F60EA76563639D0/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162656384/10D5E66B01E526743E38F33D2EF05EC23CBCBD49/
Mr. Rogers: "The aliens know where our base is and have sent ground troops in. This will totally never happen again. I mean it's not like they can just constantly send more troops. Also, I have blood on my sweater"

Zevox hit Col.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162656487/D5E6E3BF2F55AF7BDEF2BBD2C91E69A777C43665/
aaand lame. Extra crit damage vs better health packs

Also new medal
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162656612/2494A65A0F74BF36BF006C76979A8FDB894B6DDC/

Small UFO landing. TIME FOR INTENSE MURDER. Terror mission in Mexico as well. North America is down to 0 panic
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162656735/2FCD0B7DCA34E35A8F15680518940112FD2AFF11/

Of note: we captured a commander. Which means PSYCHICS. Also, tee hee
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162656866/9E5143EDD54F9D25984C34B26F53C2FB742FCBA5/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162657143/F2FFF18059CF3BB91802628C548343AF8E4D1F70/

Promotions
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162656984/E07DA2ED461C3527FF1B7AD83C1BDE09E11902A6/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162657269/0D12E565B983C832C537F68F4060CB74195A77B1/
shredder rocket vs double overwatch

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983162657397/C1366ADA90C016D2C00AA201776664ED7DE8EEC6/
doubletapdoubletapdoubletapdoubletap

We have ~700 credits

So ton of promotions.
Next research project once flight computer is done
Build psychic chamber?
What foundry projects to do?

Squark
2015-05-30, 11:12 AM
Promotions;
Moi: Shredder rocket. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on overwatch with that aim stat.
Eldest: Dense Smoke
Starbuck: He doesn't have snap shot, so Double tap is a no-brainer.
Zevox: Undecided. Neither is ideal.
Grif: Mayhem is probably a better choice. Do you really need a third rocket?

New Medal: +Will +Defense

Foundry: Ammo conservation for MECs, Double Equipment, and Unlocking level 2 MECs all sound good.

Research: UFO Power Source is required for both Titan armor and Firestorms, so I vote for that.

Also, Psychic time!

MCerberus
2015-05-30, 04:45 PM

Grif's nickname is "Crater". so yah.

also are we building a flame/backup punchbot for our new MEC trooper?

Grif
2015-05-30, 07:14 PM
Promotions;
Moi: Shredder rocket. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on overwatch with that aim stat.
Eldest: Dense Smoke
Starbuck: He doesn't have snap shot, so Double tap is a no-brainer.
Zevox: Undecided. Neither is ideal.

New Medal: +Will +Defense

Foundry: Ammo conservation for MECs, Double Equipment, and Unlocking level 2 MECs all sound good.

Research: UFO Power Source is required for both Titan armor and Firestorms, so I vote for that.

Also, Psychic time!

Is that even a serious question? :smallbiggrin:

Zevox
2015-05-30, 09:52 PM
Promotions:

Grif: Either one, honestly. I don't have a strong preference on this pick.
Me: I sincerely doubt a Support is exactly a crit machine, so I'm saying Savior. Guess I start carrying Medkits, either now or once we have the second item slot. Unless I already was, that is.
Eldest: Dense Smoke, as always.
Squark: More rockets, please.
Starbuck: Do I even need to say my vote for this one for you to know it?

Medal: Defense and Will, clearly.

Foundry: Tactical Rigging is a must-have. Ammo Conservation is also quite good, probably my pick for the second purchase.

Research: UFO Power Source sounds good. I'm guessing we'll want to get Firestorms up soon-ish.

RagingKrikkit
2015-05-30, 10:44 PM
Wait, bitch gets filtered now?

EDIT: No, so now I'm wondering what you put there.

MCerberus
2015-05-31, 07:38 PM
So big headline, we are super broke. Like 0 credits because I sold some EXALT guns to start one of the projects.

And Australia attracts more UFOs. You'd think that they'd want to avoid the doom spiders and various monsters.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983167115413/72ADBCFAAA315FF717565C256D0AE925786B46AE/

Squids: when you have all the meld you just have everyone in the squad stand around waiting.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983167115603/1FA2CAA7271EB3024E2F08E3C0B15D09C7F303A3/

Promos
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983167115744/462609F43330EF1D68E633AEFDC559334CEB4F17/
Free reaction shot on damage vs situational damage reduction

Image is being weird for Squark.
HEAT Ammo vs +defense per spotted enemy

Then the council decides to pop their face up and send us back to France. I'm not sure there's a massive mile-long dam in France, but here we go. We capture a Muton and Thin man, meaning we've got all the aliens currently on the board.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983167116040/D45EBE69962940360ED57F2DE6BCDD5BEF5C9D5C/
Grif: I just fought through dozens of aliens nothing can stop- DOORS, MY OLDEST ENEMY

Crazy French lady: "Get back from me, I'LL THINK AT YOU! I'LL THINK AT ALL OF YOU"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983167116152/5F54720B7C437E1DD4BD1B5FA1CC9C2E420833B2/

Crazy French lady: "Wait, you're good at murder? I LIKE MURDER."
She's mentally unstable, but is she mentally unstable enough for XCOM? Meh, let's inject her with steroids like all the other soldiers and see what happens

Promotions:
Here's Santa, becoming immune to crits with the power of Christmas cheer
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983167116400/3E18424714CCD36BB08435CD8CCD0383C38B58C6/

Binks
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983167116536/9A5E4CA771AC5B31E58412F495FF9DBC78EA8A24/

Also Annette is another support. We continue to be understaffed for assaults and snipers
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983167116699/3B8B4A5F2BAF815F4558B5CD6361D6E810233F1E/

Our new robotic XP sink hits Cpl
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983167116847/59B59C0891D05820293A4695F430E843ECEB83B1/

Yah, so the brokeness.
Literally 0 credits unless we find something to sell
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983167117008/FBE56107D176A9530E0A8F18D22EA6832D21E618/

Abductions
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530642983167117144/2B8AB66DCC901F07FB3334A44153CD0C9C11A604/

France gives us credits
Nigeria scientists
India a sniper

France is literally the only place with any panic rating
We'll have 6 sats by the end of the month

Zevox
2015-05-31, 08:38 PM
Hm, well, us being broke and France being the only one paying cash makes that seem like a no-brainer, but it occurs to me that we've acquired no scientists whatsoever so far, so maybe we want to go with Nigeria? Those research projects are only going to keep getting longer.

Promotions:
John: Free reaction shot on damage. Less situational.
Squark: HEAT Ammo. IIRC it got nerfed in Enemy Within, but its probably still good enough to grab with little question here.
Binks: Double Grenades, I think.
Slyguy: Overwatch Defense, given his awful, awful aim.

Binks
2015-06-01, 09:34 AM
Mission: Eh. I'm always partial to reducing panic when possible, and getting credits now is good I'd say. So I'll vote France.

Promotions:
John: Free reaction shots gets my vote
Squark: Heat ammo was always the choice in the base game with just Cyberdisks and Sectapods. Adding in MECnoids seems to make it even more of a default choice IMHO. So that gets my vote.
Me: Ahahahahaha! I vote Killer Instinct, but I'd say either of those is good. I am so happy looking at that upgrade tree...
McFly: What's the second ability? Looks defense related, so I'm going to vote for that (MEC overwatch aim doesn't seem that amazing, and MEC defenses are always good IMHO)

MOAR SATE...wait...6 not in use? Huh...I never thought I'd say this...but I think we have enough satellites for now. :smalltongue:

Squark
2015-06-01, 09:48 AM
John: Free reaction shot
Me: +Defense. Anything heat ammo could be useful against, I can't hit reliably. I'd be more useful as a tank.
Binks: Killer Instincts. Use his inventory slots for additional HP.

Mission: France, and then satellite-up Africa for more cash

Grif
2015-06-01, 09:48 AM
Cursed doors!

*shakes fist!*

MCerberus
2015-06-01, 06:14 PM
So france goes about as well as a low difficulty mission usually does. We now have 200 monies.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643440507572594/31C02C1165F6DB0D32FA8980DBC777735B8DA5F0/

MCFLLLLYYYYYY gets a promotion. extra damage vs interrogated aliens or damage reduction
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643440507572716/636D245B642F140993AD82301075BFF0E098EDC4/

Missive from Australia: they can finally defeat their ancient enemy, the emus if we give them weapons. Essentially turning alloys into cash
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643440507572836/DCC5A31677FCC69DB206889D8C96EC2EBD3E660E/

Time to upgrade a MEC
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643440507572962/AD25F2F3CBFC6F8FD7E465FDE38099F97A99C24A/

End of month stuff
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643440507573085/169A70FC71922F26EFB3E8F1A938828490DECB2C/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643440507573375/BE6728BAB3ACE487CD050600103D28A2EAE67BC2/

Also we need to decide who's getting PSYCHO TESTED
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643440507573220/837F3AB9186935C617889CB724202AF68B689862/
Zhang, Binks, French lady, and Starbuck are our blueshirts

So
6 satellites
1 promotion
Research
Foundry projects to improve equipment (medpacks/pistol/scope/arc thrower)?
MEC upgrade
Recruitment?
Officer training?
Build a second MEC? What kind?

Squark
2015-06-01, 07:52 PM
MEC Upgrade: Restorative mist every time.
Slyguy: Damage Control
Satellites: Cover Africa for the cash bonus and Asia for the panic reduction and discount. Put the last satellite on a high cash country. That being said, it might be a good idea to leave one or two countries in Europe without coverage so you can use Abduction missions for extra rewards.
Psi-testing: Anyone with High Will.
Research: It's Firestorm time!
Officer Training: Once you have Asia, it might be worth picking up any good ones. Foundry use should also probably wait for that continent bonus, but Medpac upgrades might be a good idea.
Other Cash use: A second MEC use might be nice, but we could also consider going into Gene modding.

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-06-02, 07:24 AM
Yay! I'm contributing!

MEC Upgrade: Restorative Mist.
Me: Damage Control. My aim is so low there's little point in me shooting things. Better to have me soak hot plasma to justify soaking the squad's XP :smallamused:
Satellites: Asia+Africa.
Psi Testing: Highest Will gets tossed in the purple nurple chamber
Officer Training: Once Asia is secure, sure.
Second MEC: How is this even a question? METAL IS SUPERIOR TO PUNY FLESH.

Binks
2015-06-02, 10:17 AM
Promotions: McFly - Damage Reduction

Satellites: Africa + Asia. I'll give into peer pressure :P

Research: Are Interrogations no longer free with South America's bonus? I vote new fighter craft to continue pushing towards something that can down the harder UFOs without dying.

Psych Testing: I'm going to vote for myself. 87 Will + ridiculous luck so far seems like a reasonable spot to put a bet on :P.

MCerberus
2015-06-02, 07:03 PM
EXALT, the only command structure known to be more incompetent and silly than XCOM. EXALT decided to drain our coffers right before the month ended. They took all of our 1 credit... and gave us 100 back. Also since nobody told me not to and we had 31 credits before EXALT showed up we've got 3 new squaddies, one of them a whiteshirt sniper, which we w

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643440511632130/6C7CF8F4CA8651447266FDF5B53914DA1EE8EE5B/

Squark: "I like explosions"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643440511632504/6F03AA333D8B3C5AE7EAC5F31EA90DEF4B83A75A/

Squark: "Michael Bay is a cinematic genious"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643440511632641/810FFA9226742402473E3359C2BB8C3B953229CF/

Grif has taught her well.

Yah, so the Rookie popped an EXALT squad by moving 3 feet from spawn, got flanked and crit. Meh. Whiteshirt sniper. I can't bring myself to care. He died looking at explosions
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643440511632782/64767764AE3D654FEF716687C9C59B6FD0A1D3CE/

Squark: "I'm out of rockets. SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643440511632896/660917968DF43CA525A2173DBA55A151D8504178/
"acceptable"

Krikkit hit Col.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643440511633069/3C4C449FAEF3928C4D795D2D55DF5C754DCCD71C/

Also none of the recruits were blueshirt heavies, so Orcus waits for mental override.

6 days until Firestorms complete, need new research.

Abductions
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643440511633217/621848B04853B86EBA18CAA53837FAF7BC4160A3/

Germany gives us Scientists, France money, Canada a captain

We've got about 1k credits after I spent a bunch.

We have:
Promotion
Abductions
Research
Build a nexus and go full coverage?
More foundry projects?
Gene lab?
Fist vs Fire and Boom vs heal for the new MEC.

RagingKrikkit
2015-06-02, 08:04 PM
Hmm. Killer Instinct is good, really good, on an assault, but at the same time, Low Profile could also be really handy for rushing into dangerous situations. What difficulty are we on, again?

Binks
2015-06-03, 10:16 AM
Promotion: Going to vote for Low Profile, because it's always nice to have and the +50% crits can be situational
Abductions: Voting Germany to finally get some scientists
Research: Firestorm

Build a nexus and go full coverage? - MOAR SATELLITES! (that's a yes :P)
More foundry projects? - What's available?

Not voting on the other two, because inexperienced.

Squark
2015-06-03, 11:44 AM
Promotion: Low Profile
Abductions: Germany seems a sound choice
Research: Assuming we have titan armor, Plasma weaponry seems like the next step from here.
Sattelite Nexus: Definately, but we might want to leave a European country or two uncovered to keep abduction missions popping and reap the rewards from them.
New MEC: Powerfist is the obvious choice. Healing Mist is tempting, but I have found the incredible distance the grenade launcher can fire to be useful for clearing large areas of cover.

MCerberus
2015-06-04, 12:26 PM
I think we're actually on normal or classic, not sure anymore.
Squark, we're researching Firestorm atm.
We haven't done any equipment upgrade projects or pistol

Grif
2015-06-04, 12:32 PM
I think we're actually on normal or classic, not sure anymore.
Squark, we're researching Firestorm atm.
We haven't done any equipment upgrade projects or pistol

We started with an Officer Training School. It's normal. (You have to build it first in Classic, which is a serious drain on resources.)

JohnTheSavage
2015-06-05, 12:59 AM
Promotion: Low Profile. Always useful and is AMAZING when used with the chameleon gene mod.
Abductions: Agree with the others, Germany's probably our best option since we already have a core of good soldiers and we're swimming in cash.
Research: Not really sure just what exactly the state of our research is, but researching the fusion lance gives our first Firestorms an end-all trump card in the sky.
New Mec: Can't beat the rocket-fist for style and ultility. I'm going to vote grenade launcher just for variety since I already have a mister.
I recommend building a gene lab as soon as possible so we can amp-up any psi soldiers we get.
If we can afford it and don't already have it, we should get tactical rigging in the foundry.

MCerberus
2015-06-06, 09:04 PM
So first, we got Sly Guy in his new explody-mech. There was a complication though.
Project Whatashame Event Log - Prototype 2
"Right, so the driver software installed for the grenade launcher is a little different"
"Well we muted our second trooper up until now"
"Not an option"
"How bad is it"
Subject 2: "Wow. Such explosions. Many punch."
"My god."
"There clearly isn't a god, or we would have done this"
Subject 2: "I can has promotion."

So abductions, nothing really interesting happened.

And then I forgot to do an intel scan
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643545659038978/228BA0C50733462058834B9626E8E9195C1DB585/

Meanwhile, in the ROOM OF MAD SCIENCE
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643545659039109/1418C37856D2AB64B33302C3CD9CBBAA656F81AC/
"Subjects are coming out of their power nap."
"How long did the psychic activation process actually take"
"3 hours"
"and yet"
"everyone needs a 9 day forced coma"
*facepalm*

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643545659039216/2748CA31518E2226FF38CCA301E6131CC5FBDE14/
"I have grown power beyond pistols. I have grown powerful enough to have my revenge. I AM BECOME PISTOL DESTRUCTION."

Also Binks, but he's like... only 95% as crazy
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643545659039330/79B0827C1C3B67B6221B8300B5F6B5F37554635E/

Wooh council gives us some free recruits! We just have to save them. Haven't seen what class they are, but they're going to be gifted blueshirts. Maybe Orcus actually gets into the game
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643545659039437/D9613AF7DC8E54C4872344D8B2D34C7661F1222E/

The gift of telekinetic power, the unlocking of the human mind. Let's use it to as a standard "kill stuff" weapon.
"But it's better than a pist-"
SHUT UP ZHANG
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643545659039557/3567FBDE316E78B7F6491C64FBACE2064D5F04FB/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643545659039663/D5F72673DA00419340CF1995C33F7EEE7E327657/
The aliens were keeping them locked in hibernation for days at a time! Only we're allowed to do that!

Abductions!
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643545659039769/8034E7CEFD2123E39249FF67C25F9BCA840453C8/
Mexico gives us Engineers
UK Money
Russia Science

Not Mexico puts the country into panic, other countries are fine especially Russia (pending covert op, free reduction). We do have one sat free.

Promotions!
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643545659038863/A3B8DCFF021DD7447FFF4046076C2FDA01955B3A/
Free close-range reaction shots vs Michael Bayness

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643545659038745/971A0F6F3209060F2F7E234C4990B728DB26BD35/
Jet boots vs turning into a wall

And here's the current state of our research and foundry from which we shall make decisions (current researching pew pew plasma lance to pew pew 2 shot aliens)
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643545659038401/3479A92695EB618D8CE9E8E2C11F065C8A542126/
We can research alien grenades, they're just all equipped right now

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643545659038575/8B9E4C3F11AFB1ED35CE03234F2B49C1A65E690D/

Promotions
Abductions
Foundry
Research

Squark
2015-06-06, 10:09 PM
Research: Plasma rifle followed by Guided Fusion Launcher, Plasma Sniper rifle, or Alloy Cannon
Foundry: Alien Grenades
Abduction: Head to Mexico for now. Save the satellite for emergencies
Promotions: Rocket Boots and Danger Zone. Becoming a wall is just asking to be hit by a sectopod mortar, and I won't hit anything with close combat specialist or whatever it's called, so those are the logical choices.

Regarding the "Furies," as they're known, they're all lieutenants (Sniper, Assault, and Support) with 7 HP each, wills around 70, and respectable aim. They can have their appearance and names customized, though, unlike Annette.

Binks
2015-06-08, 10:35 AM
Awesome. Figured I'd roll lucky on Psionics given how lucky I've been on everything else :P.

Mission: Mexico. No reason to waste the opportunity to acquire Engineers (the best currency in the (base at least) game) and reduce panic in the worse off location.

Promotions:
Squark - Close Combat. I love free close range reaction shots. I recognize the crappy aim makes them less effectual, but I can't not vote for that.
McFly - Given I'm not sure what turning into a wall constitutes, but assuming it lets him act as cover (and thus grenade bait when someone uses that fact), I vote Jet boots.

Foundry - I vote either Stealth Satellites (if you feel there's any risk in losing the sats), or SCOPE upgrade (if you don't). It's a boring but practical piece of equipment.

Research - Plasma weapons. Got to get those ready to go ASAP.

MCerberus
2015-06-08, 07:09 PM
Oh boy this is a long one, the combination of new recruits that don't need input for promotions and a general "research the plasmas k" order means that there were standing orders that lasted a while. Waaay back in Mexico...

Xcom decided that a poor Mectoid is decent psychic practice. 2 people start telling it that there are voices in its head. In the end, it couldn't understand this new reality. RIP in peace, mental punching bag
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941591834718/596EE05E01DAE222A19CF20F687112EE9B78B946/

Squark: Hey look an alien is moving. IMA SHOOT THE MELD
Immediately after:
Squark: I'M HELPING
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941591835162/3EB0291B12C447EB7601CB07221737E9835376B9/

Well everything died, that is actually helping.

Meanwhile, EXALT has lasers. Good of them to wait until we all had lasers so we couldn't steal theirs for free upgrades
"Hey guys let's all stand around in a big circle while all the explosion-specced agents explode us"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941591835470/BDC972B971ABA98D070020DE15952628094C03D6/

"Hey helicopter, drop me straight on top of them, what could go wrong?"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941591835598/60F4D5A1A9A557D3EA43B6A220BE325305E314AF/

Immediately after, Canada decides to disappoint me. Again.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941591835817/6656A3D4893656F154AAE111FE39D40AFCECE02C/

Somebody landed in, well I don't remember. Point being abductor UFOs are easy targets for raiding

"Our human agents tell us of their effective tactic of grouping up for rocket attacks"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595405381/8991A5A63B84EE1519C1C4013C69A32246CE2FDA/

Side note- we have fusion cores people, imagine if we had two super rockets per mission

SlyGuy: "THIS. IS. SPARTAAAAAAAA"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595405556/1F2AECBE21ABDFB71D13E7DBB912DBEDE71C133D/

Good mission. lots of pistol harvesting. About to get pistol research done.

Right, so "get the cell in Canada" means for XCOM "India". Another covert ops mission incoming
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595405922/5E6DA0DC3A57E15EBFED0AFAEAA223B3D7182A44/

End of the month hit. Which is good because 5 super-planes and the best weapon for them are expensive. Starting building the nexus and sats that can give us full coverage.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595406259/E1585F96C8736DD484D41C08C55537456B1A81B0/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595406114/D74ADF6F86047DC49391D99870E379DC32CECDEC/
Two of those guys we already knew were gifted. Santa, however, doesn't have mind-murder powers

Getting ready to take it to those jerks in Canada (your Hockey puck supply will be ours) when suddenly
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595406617/AE04809D694DAB96EB49A0E6C85B10BE37B28DEC/
A wild abductor appears.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595406889/186436A29532E761714494CD1E9627C5D9483E58/
I believe we call it a noob and sarcastically say "gg"

Heavy floaters are on the field now
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595407053/81BFF30ABC0FD01060E3CA299F8B6F58259FDF15/

Hey look one of those is at 7hp and on the ground we can easily...
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595407197/D5273693348E9C521561E1AA5F4D014B1882E1CC/
RNG, we meet again.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595407339/E1A7B5CBF8852728AE11DC9CBEE0B427F1F034FA/
This jerk liked to try and mind control people. Our manner of approval shown

Finally, we're going to investigate the dark secret society of the freaking Hudson Bay
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595407672/C3582F346BEF3EC4AC9A58E60CB0E73A79BD1513/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595407844/0CAAACEC638B4284D97278D54A54C3500DCEA3A3/
"This car is exploding, what can go wrong"

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595408022/079C63F2CE6DFC2505D96A1C17311ED842563A56/
Meanwhile, in the RNG seed

Abductions!
Canada gives us money, Russia an assault. We can launch a sat for France if needed.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595408371/8511C9E8FA6DF74253F4D631F9DECF1DEE819E54/

Promotions
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941591835337/B11A6474A383E8EEEAA2A24E713A3CA7176B2AA8/

Binks hit major, extra defense perk

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595407501/5B88FF324626B5E54E097BBA33FF21A0EDB22B48/
"Promote additional pylons"
That doesn't even make sense.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595408202/A1007F10E99FB9600BBC359F1177E695E45DB271/
More sprint vs more defense

Here's the current state of the foundry
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/530643941595406440/A585AC08C5FB0EED92A931A30E5EB31A3E9360B5/

Research wise, we've got a couple of plasma weapons to go. Then we can upgrade rockets, elyrium, beacon, skeleton suit, or some interceptor parts (but why).

Promotions
Abductions
R&D
Gene lab finally?
Fill empty space with workshops/labs?

Eldest
2015-06-08, 09:52 PM
I vote more sprint for me and the gene lab so I can hop on buildings. I need to get to chimneys after all.

Grif
2015-06-09, 03:33 AM
I'm kinda leaning towards no gene mods. At all. :smallbiggrin: We can do this without needing to resort to alien biotech! (Besides, I always thought the new uniforms looked kinda ugly.)

Binks
2015-06-09, 11:13 AM
Promotions:
Me: Inspiration. I never found panic to be worth anything, and inspiration at least helps prevent enemy mind control.
McFly: I vote for the regen one (had to look up what the gear symbol meant)
Eldest: I vote more defense

Mission:
Canada. We don't really need another assault IMHO and panic seems roughly even.

R&D:
Finish Plasma, then Elerium to head towards Titan Armor. And only a little part of that vote has to do with wanting to see how many HP I have while in Titan Armor :P.

Gene Lab: No vote either way from me, I don't know if they're necessary or not.

Once we have enough satellite coverage and all the main buildings (which it seems we do, aside from maybe the Gene Lab and hypercomm) I vote we plop down a roughly even workshop/research lab grouping, making sure to prioritize building stuff for the teams first and just use excess cash for it.

MCerberus
2015-06-12, 06:05 PM
Meanwhile in Canadia
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429822792/2700D70DF9DBF058684971C28B54EA57E81BF534/
Squark hits something. IT'S A MIRACLE

Flyguy can't
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429822939/427E8E925370CAF328E839F4DAE336EA3003BA58/

Stop killing
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429823066/D64503A045CE9E7884FE0CB626463878F54E2729/

Robots
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429823172/D24B4B474B30CB2ED44BFE38326099BA75F2A3C7/

So that caused panic in the France, so I just launched a sat because honestly we can go full coverage this month
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429823398/428201D84C33F854830DB57BD5AB586BF65557C5/

The EXALT continues to be annoying.

We need new music, it's getting dull in the skyranger
McFly: "We could always"
IF YOU FINISH THAT THE WAY I THINK-
McFly: "Guile's theme goes with everything"
*facepalm*
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429823525/EE9BDB52B8FB605E769F86A79253AF44D9C2253B/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429823652/3C78F9281B56002006F3971C0036D186121EB951/
WHO PUT THAT THERE?

Because only EXALT has helicopters that don't just pick a random corner of the map and park *glares*
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429823775/4D02CFA59DF5F8C73B1CDA6A3A9E26A87591DF60/

But yah, being right next to an assault is a terrible idea
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429823901/5196BBA763A737AD619E34A2E7B34DCA7E2D8397/

Necessary rocket is necessary
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429824008/BD944A689134393EE7C9B42FC4ABCC4E4F1146E5/

Then the council wants to give us money for newly obsolete weapons
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429824129/87CE4B2C8A860DACD4323ADA13C8E4CD443A0CDD/

Meanwhile, IN THE SCIENCE ROOM
Where science happens.
And because we spent over 200 credits to make terrible references to one soldier's callsign
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429824259/858430214812258F2A3315D63E481CD88DA3B9F7/

"Sir, why are we doing this again?"
Wordplay
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429824370/1E2509FD49C620497030364C0055ECD04DA12BA9/

"I am become a basketball god"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429824497/B0D4E5C13EBF38D743C7F67977017F9BB2117F52/

EXALT, what are you doing
EXALT, STAHP
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429824607/BDF3CBBD06C2FDD6EB852DDC355431EB4A60AA98/

Oh boy, and in Siberia
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429825484/1808449E337E297A5D837C7940AC98BB942DC172/

And our covert agent shows just how useful those fancy pistols are
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429825592/E38EFB7627C9C1345F12AECCDA548C1C89BB55B6/

If we make an accusation, we have a 50/50 chance
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429825703/D2F701D2A6DDDCDCCE0A6BFFD5C09D5B3524A463/

The council decides that they want to help with xp grinding
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429824778/8021F446324F6A1EABA27ADB698CA0993167A721/
What happen?
McFly: "Someone set us up the bomb"
Launch all plasma.

Mission of nothing but Thin Men. *uncontrollable laughter*
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429824892/9C750607F1E3E116EDA2738DAF61AD0F51CD564E/

Well, so let's have all those guys group up in convenient grenade range
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429824989/8254808E3798A59825B91C72D321C44D6E9D1980/

McFly: "It keeps happening!"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429825100/95D88225F317140E78CF17DEED82A50AE245CD1A/

There was also a terror mission. But nothing important happened and we have enough spoiler boxes

Promotions! Most of them are for disposables so I get to decide on a lot of the stuff so ha
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429823282/0646A607CCABA9696CBED8EBB458E14AC63E458E/

More rockets vs more AoE damage. Truly a choice which tries the soul
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163429825242/5704618F5E1AEC1CDF0B9FD370D58A8F71F9D696/

Pretending there's even a question at the top
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163432990592/7CFF68A25D1E98B9BBB54A000C2C2121BC65D4FA/

Abductions!
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378163432990787/48E1305F17B2A149D486E82EEE31B5595E2DCF04/
Money from Germany
Sniper from UK
Science from Mexico

So. Promotions
Current research path for Elerium and Titan armor
Do we do pistol/medpack foundry?
WHO WANTS TO BE A GENETIC FREAK?
Go full coverage or leave a country uncovered?
Wait for one more EXALT mission or MILITARY INVASION

MCerberus
2015-06-12, 09:15 PM
Also we need an official Skyranger playlist or Slyguy is going to keep blasting meme-related stuff. The terror mission ride was 2 hours solid of Leekspin.

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-06-15, 04:53 PM
Hey, Leekspin is an excellent mood-setter! Also, I approve all that sexy robot-on-robot beatdown goodness.

Medkit Foundry is worthwhile. Pistols on the other hand... eh.
I don't even know what happens if we falsely accuse of acountry of harbouring EXALT. Let's find out! *shakes magic 8-ball* Egypt!
Promotions:
Psi Inspiration. Stack a couple of those and even Ethereals will bow down to our superior mind-powers!
More rockets over bigger splash.
After carefully thinking it over, I think I'll vote for Telekinetic Pfff-hahahaha. Almost finished that with a strait face. Mind Control, HO!
Edit: Forgot to vote on where to the Abduction mission. Money won't be a problem with near-full coverage, there's only so much more science to do and we seem to have plenty of troops sooo lets just pick the highest enemy density and kick ass.

Binks
2015-06-15, 05:10 PM
Ah. Hello Exalt friend. Goodbye Exalt friend.

Promotions:
Me - Heck yes Mind Control! Get in my brain! :P
Krikkit - Inspiration
Squark - As a long time supporter of less explosives, more gun I vote for the non-rocket option

Research:
Titan armor is top priority still I'd say

Coverage:
I prefer full coverage myself

Exalt:
I prefer being 100% certain, but I acknowledge they're being very annoying.

Squark
2015-06-15, 06:00 PM
Squark - As a long time supporter of less explosives, more gun I vote for the non-rocket option Unfortunately, the question is not guns vs. explosives, but More explosions vs. Bigger explosions, since I don't have a suppression ability.

Binks
2015-06-16, 10:32 AM
Unfortunately, the question is not guns vs. explosives, but More explosions vs. Bigger explosions, since I don't have a suppression ability.
Oh, is that the +suppression and +rockets burst upgrade? If so, then I will swap my vote to more explosives. Thought it was something else.

JohnTheSavage
2015-06-16, 11:37 AM
I don't even know what happens if we falsely accuse of acountry of harbouring EXALT.

The country immediately leaves the council. Let's not do that.

Magentawolf
2015-06-16, 01:06 PM
Thin Men with 3hp, that's adorable!

(I've been playing far too much of the Long War mod.)

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-06-16, 01:33 PM
The country immediately leaves the council. Let's not do that.

Oh, wow. I don't know what I was xpecting, but definitely nothing that extreme. Talk about touchy.

Cristo Meyers
2015-06-16, 01:38 PM
Oh, wow. I don't know what I was xpecting, but definitely nothing that extreme. Talk about touchy.

Do the Aztecs count as being able to play Mexico in Civ? I'm guessing yes, since the game hasn't ruled Mexico out, but it just seems odd to me.

MCerberus
2015-06-17, 06:05 PM
So first thing we do is start running into the most aliens possible. To jolly old England et what!
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378425089764667/983D3C568323D003A256A75CC31D530FA9F7AB8A/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378425089764863/2647BC5E7E60C9B23BC6784741615F1038C5355B/

Berserkers vs MECs, or "no u"

End of month comes around and WHEEEEEEEE
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378425089765022/07914DA5CD883388AAA41F57CA6836D64AFDF7D4/
We have full coverage and Plasma-using Firestorms. Air war is officially won.

And because it's less than a day until the month rolls around:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378425089765310/6B8A8CA7253915CDB72F39EBC02616A378157841/

Luckily sending a trooper in to start a covert op throws us a bone
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378425089765434/320996990C8CCB6B2DE188A4F2B983AA5E19410B/

Current state of R&D
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378425089765694/840AE1E442FDF4FDD95A6981A6BCC05BF1643CE0/
New project!
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378425089765203/3335EFD66D63EC6C6C06A841648CAB385CF4FC89/

Also! New robot upgrades!
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378425089765577/B608BED827F37A177F1981308FDB7F845BEF3B67/

UFOs show up occasionally, but we're at the 'curbstomp' level right now.

But hey, it turns out EXALT was hiding in Mexico, poisoning our precious Agave supplies. It was they who truly threatened pancake and tequila Friday!
So I load up the transport with "from the beginning" forum troopers FOR JUSTICE

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378425089766217/E541494FD85D13C34BD3A0DC4706C7D7CBDE3C65/
"Your move creeps."
It's going to be hard for them to move when we stomp their legs in.

An important note: I saved the skull and throne. I am king of XCOM, and our command room is sort of depressing
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378425089766217/E541494FD85D13C34BD3A0DC4706C7D7CBDE3C65/

So what happens when you have lasers and carapace armor vs Col. troopers with Titan armor, psychic powers, and plasma. The body count was impressive.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378425089766480/18603478D043D0E8FD7F8E00644C39D98442D3BF/
And so it ends. I'm reminded of the grim fate of the annoying small dog from the Looney Toons cartoon, had it been hit by a truck. Or something. We don't have a poetry department.
We should get one.

And the best part is this was a completely secret mission.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378425089766588/BE238DFDAD3A723E4520BF4CA13963B2106CF4C1/
nobody could have seen us. Completely incognito.

We're saving the art, by the way, XCOM needs some class
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378425089766675/6AF3832A4996FAC986A7D0C56434F73EDA8023D1/

SlyGuy maxxed rank at some point, we're between situational damage reduction and free reaction shots
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510378425089765955/DD6E18BE625CE3AAA860A2B43378F3BC4B49E077/

So promotion
Research
Improved ARC thrower for with which to capture ethereals, elites, and heavy floaters?
EMP vs Mines for our two MECs
Still need "volunteers" for our X-Men cosplay that's getting WAAAY too real.

Binks
2015-06-18, 10:25 AM
SlyGuy - I vote for free reaction shots. The late game is more rocket tag than tanking (at least as far as I've seen without MECs but with SHIVs) and being able to take an extra shot is worth more than some situational DR IMHO.

Research - I always have loved Hyperwave, just for telling you what aliens are on the ship in advance. With the choices being basically that, Archangel (great, but we seem to be more reliant on close-in attacks than snipers), or EMP Cannon (we have fusion lances, but could still be useful) I vote we progress the story with Hyperwave research.

Improved Arc Thrower is great and we should get it ASAP.

I vote EMP for MECs. Mines seem...iffy, and being able to stun with the MEC seems like fun.

What Gene mods (if any) does my guy have? I'm up for getting a few if you're looking to mutate people. Mainly a skin mod, and maybe the pupils one assuming it works with Rapid Shot.

EDIT: I looked it up and pupils does apply to Rapid Shot, so that could be a lot of (cheap) fun :).

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-06-18, 12:09 PM
Me: Reaction shots. There's precious few things in the game that can hit a Paladin for a third of its health, and none of those things are the sort of thing you let live long enough to attack you.
Research: Gonna second Hyperwave
Improved Arc thrower is always good.
EMP for the MEC-3. Proximity launcher is fun but the EMP turns Sectopods into oversized metal piņatas.

Squark
2015-06-19, 01:21 PM
Definitely Improved Arc Thrower
Promotion: Reaction Shot. The damage reduction only really works on insane with a minimum HP build.
EMP is good for anti-mechs, while Proximity is good for clearing cover.
Research: Plot time!

MCerberus
2015-06-22, 10:04 PM
To start with, Binks gets to use some of that meld we keep around for ill-defined reasons.

TO THE TUBES!
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512227809/405086B704FD004EFE8BA6968337CDF5766776F7/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512229218/1EF7FF4C1D53775B912E46F793E9752DC8E206CD/

I've been meaning to ask, what's with the crazy xray filter on the security cams in the gene lab?
Binks: I CAN SEE EVERYTHING
but can you see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?

UFO lander. Because SOMEBODY in Russia was drunk on duty on vodka.
... I'm being told that's racist. He was drinking brandy
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512228044/D17AA185CEB1F44FDDA42673C80F99A079F7FF57/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512228203/F14EED102037A6D3734117B9C2A31FDA24FF97D6/
Hey we caught a heavy floater.

And finally, McFly completes his long quest to punch all kinds of all things.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512228427/F9ADCFFE5A7122514F5248945D18BD6C56554858/

Council mission pops up. Because all the panic levels are sooo high
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512228427/F9ADCFFE5A7122514F5248945D18BD6C56554858/

All we need to do is move the VIP slowly and kill all the spawns as they
VIP: "I'M SCARED! RUNNING INTO THE OPEN WILL HELP

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512229001/426A8AFFBACC602D4330562282D28632AC507DC5/
Well that happened

And luckily, the aliens follow it up with a terror attack in Mexico. Because Mexico is where everything happens
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512229396/D21752EFB101F4B9E77AF9148EA5288D8E96E7D5/
And they always attack vacation spots

RNG shows us that everything will always miss
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512229574/EB268285E3324097CD157022C1E6A54D9062BCD8/

UFO shoot down. Grif has a new toy to explode the universe with. Also we manage to grab an elite for "happy fun time"
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512229899/C80101A92FDCD16E6B900EC2B36B92B92221C054/

Research status and stuff
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512230077/7A96BB0F0BF69780885BF98A1179E163DA6A01C3/
We are literally out of research until THE ORB is gotten and psi-armor

In the meantime, I've used all our weapon fragments to do ALL THE FOUNDRY. Honestly it's because our resources are to the point where nothing matters
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512230520/A7AF66495DF89B5203DE5A362B09C2C9836A1A96/

We're also doing a terrible job managing panic levels
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512230244/4A7FB396ACE0CB7A607CFE2BD2762FB58C087C79/

The plot happens
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512230657/40DD044DF36B6403CA29FE6C96613A5381C284D9/
Science team, what are you doing?
"Well this is a beacon right, so let's just run power through it so all the aliens know where we are"
That's a terrible idea
"Too late, hey we caused an earthquake

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512230792/9C663B9DCCE7C1C73ADD94E9C383B97142B928A8/
We capture the ethereal in the meantime. HAPPY FUN TIME FOR ALL

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/510379051512230918/FF8081EEAFD3285EB6D0731A7B56B734EF94816F/
"Hey guys, remember how we almost destroyed the base with the last idiotic plan with alien artifacts?"
You're doing the same thing aren't you
"No, we're planning on rubbing a psychic agent against it."

End game people!
It's either Krikkit or Binks as the volunteer

MEC trooper slot: SlyGuy or John
Sniper: Starbuck
Assault: Krikkit or Binks
Heavy: Squark or Grif
Support: Zevox or Eldest
6th slot: Wild card!

Last call to become an abomination unto nature. So far it's only Eldest and Binks
We'll get some psi-armor before we go for the gifted forumers
Also, importantly, we need to decide on what music to play on the drive over.

Binks
2015-06-23, 11:04 AM
I volunteer to...uh...volunteer!

I've always loved the feel of the endgame. The panic levels drop to nothing, the gear and research get maxed out, and you suddenly find yourself with nothing to do except finish things. You spend 90% of the game rushing around trying to carefully balance a dozen spinning plates and suddenly half the plates are gone and the rest seem to almost balance themselves.

Also, in unrelated news, I picked up the expansion during the summer sale, mostly because of seeing how much fun the new toys looked in this thread, and I quite enjoyed it. So thanks for showing me it was worth it :smallbiggrin:.

SlyGuyMcFly
2015-06-23, 03:30 PM
Well obviously I volunteer myself for the MEC slot. As Ambassador Robo Deathpunch to the Alien Invader Scum, I have a duty to board the Mothership and ensure that I have, in fact, punched all the things.

As for what to play... what to play... Well it's the last op, so let's have something lively but in actual good taste (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpmVUEjagg) shall we?

I've always loved the feel of the endgame. The panic levels drop to nothing, the gear and research get maxed out, and you suddenly find yourself with nothing to do except finish things. You spend 90% of the game rushing around trying to carefully balance a dozen spinning plates and suddenly half the plates are gone and the rest seem to almost balance themselves.

True that. XCOM's endgame is basically a fun stomping ground where you control an entire squad of Commander Shepards.

JohnTheSavage
2015-06-23, 06:11 PM
Well, If SlyGuy's taking the MEC slot, I volunteer myself for the wildcard slot. Double MECs!