PDA

View Full Version : How did you change from your previous edition to 5e?

Chadamantium
2015-05-02, 11:16 PM
I'm curious on how you made the transition. Did you just start a new game? did you work it into the story? Did everyone just make their character over and pick up where you left off?

I made it part of my 3.5 plot(well it was already happening but the transition fit in so perfectly. So my players were fighting a big bad trio who were going around the world creating giant holes and cracking the planet. Unbeknownst to them, the trio was breaking the world to harness the energy source of it to destroy an elder evil(the meteor one, Ragnora?), they remake the world as they saw fit. Well the players beat the big bads, find the real plot and finish destroying the world, using the similar methods(they commissioned drills be made and one time they used the big bads sacrifice a town method). the magical energy was then flowed into a conduit to blast away Ragnora. Finally they get to remake the world however they like which will be the setting for 5e with my own flair. Alot of magic was used to destroy the elder evil and remake the world which led to there not being enough magic for everyone thus 5e's low magic feel.

So that's mine what's yours?

asorel
2015-05-02, 11:29 PM
We started a new game within the same world, though a few centuries later. Our old 4e characters were remembered in history for their great and noble...sacrifices to the cause of Lord Vendinari, Lord Protector of Klaatu Verata The Klaatu Empire. Additionally, due to the actions of a certain Cleric with a penchant for ill-advised recipes, soup has now been banned by international treaty as a weapon of mass destruction.

Tenmujiin
2015-05-03, 12:36 AM
One of our players convinced us to try 4e (we had been playing 3.5 for a few years before that) after 3 or so sessions we decided we couldn't stand 4e and I suggested that we try 5e (the PHB had just been released) instead of going back to 3.5 and we prefered it. The 4e game never got far enough for us to care about transitioning it.

Naanomi
2015-05-03, 12:39 AM
We'd been running shorter 3.5 e6 or one shot games for a while, 5e was a revival into bigger campaigns that we hadn't run in a while. The simplicity of the rules helped us rope in new players that helped that process.

RedMage125
2015-05-03, 01:44 AM
My transition from 3.5e to 4e was a lot more complicated.

Here (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2615726) is the rundown of that transition.

For 5e, I didn't really change much. It was a really easy transition from 4e to 5e.

ghost_warlock
2015-05-03, 05:22 AM
We didn't. Our Star Trek game, using the Last Unicorn system, came to an end and a few weeks later I started DMing a 5e game. When the 5e game comes to an end, we'll be playing either a Mutants and Masterminds game or a 4e D&D Spelljammer game. People in the group have also thrown in some ideas for Alternity campaigns, but I doubt anything will ever materialize.

Vortling
2015-05-03, 09:29 AM
We waited until our prior 4e campaign had come to completion and then started a new campaign in 5e. I guess that counts as not transitioning.

Ralanr
2015-05-03, 09:40 AM
We played pathfinder before, but our DM was on study abroad the first semester and last year we mainly just did small quests since we finished a campaign too close to start a new one with the given time.

We pretty much started new, played several one on one sessions in an ambiguous world we slowly built up together and continued on. Aside from a few fumbles on adjusting of course. We're gonna pick up our campaign after the summer, though only my character of the original party is still in the story (one is graduating, one didn't like her classes play style and decided to get back into melee (she wasn't a fan of shifting) and the rest decided to change their characters for RP reasons).

5e is the first time my group has put their characters actions before their own, even if they know it might not be best. Hell I found myself throwing someone down a pit when my group was discovered. I would have talked my way out of it, my barbarian doesn't have a deceptive sharp tongue.

It's pretty fun.

TheOctopus
2015-05-03, 09:59 AM
I picked up the Starter Set and ran an impromptu game using the included adventure at our FLGS. So far, we haven't played any more 5E yet, though. We've been too busy with Pathfinder and Savage Worlds.

Talyn
2015-05-03, 03:26 PM
We had finished our 4e campaign a good while back and were actually about 3/4 of the way through a Hunter: the Vigil campaign when the playtest came out. The player who was prepping to DM next just prepped the new campaign in 5e, and we started it when the Hunter game ended.

JackPhoenix
2015-05-03, 03:54 PM
Started a new game, but mostly due to the school issues of one of my players whose character was kinda critical to the plot of my previous campaign. It is supposed to be only a "trial" run to try the new edition with the rest of the players until she can return and the story will continue.

In the same (older) Eberron campaign, I plan to include some time-trave sheannigans (it's a little complicated, but the current group (afflicted with the Church of the Silver Flame) will get a chance to "live" in the heads of few people who took a part in the events leading to creating the church some 700 years prior. The characters will get some information needed in their current timeline, and the players will play the members of the ancient group, using 5e. Again, only a temporary affair before returning to the regular campaign.

Safety Sword
2015-05-03, 05:18 PM
We were playing 3.5 in my regular group. I got myself some 5E books because I wanted to teach my young kids about D&D. The rules are simpler and the maths is lighter. That turned into a second group.

I took my 5E books to my other group and they decided to switch after reading the PHB.

Dropped our 3.5 campaign like a hot rock. I guess we were ready for a change!

Chambers
2015-05-03, 09:22 PM
We switched rules sets and kept on playing. We were 16th level in 4e and so we made 16th level 5e characters. No change in the story or break in the world, just switched the systems out. My 4e Berserker (MC Warlord) / Warpath Berserker became a Barbarian 13/Fighter (Battlemaster) 3 and he's a beast of a tank. :smalltongue:

The other characters managed to translate their characters fairly well also. The Avenger became a Shadow Monk, the Iron Soul Monk become a Monk of the Open Hand, the Swordmage became an Eldritch Knight and the Thief became a Rogue (Thief) / Fighter (Champion). The Lazer Cleric is now Cleric of Light.

I think changing systems to 5e has breathed new life into the campaign. Previously the plan was to jump up to epic levels in 4e and rush through the end of the campaign, having a few sessions at 22nd, then jump to 24, 26, and so on. Now we have more time to play the end of the campaign because the higher levels of 5e aren't as totally screwy as the higher levels of 4e are. None of us were really looking forward to the slugfest that is epic level 4e, so changing over was a good choice.

Tvtyrant
2015-05-03, 09:30 PM
We were playing a 3.5 E6 game with some elaborate house rules, which were meant to allow for epic fantasy feeling without ruining the day to day balance of the game. We abandoned it after the party completed a battle in a hurricane where they lost their airship but destroyed an alien Death Knight's spaceship, and then the death knight chased them through the underdark into an undead plant hivemind.

The game ended and we decided to try 5E, because it seemed like it might fix the issues we were facing with game balance. I don't find that it did that, but it did make encounters way quicker to make.

TrollCapAmerica
2015-05-03, 10:14 PM
Hmm ill relate a few

AD&D to 3.5- I brought an apocalyptic end to my universe circa 2005 when we finally decided to give 3.5 a shot. the game I started in the backyard with my childhood friends came to an awesome epic fiery end that tied together tons of loose ends and old enemies into one giant megaplot that ends with several PCs becoming the new pantheon of deities for my 3.5 setting.Damn shame most of the PCs couldnt remember half the sub-plots and people that still hated them though

3.5 to PF-Really all that happened was I cherry picked my favorite PF stuff and just dropped it into my 3.5 setting [Which was our old AD&D setting much later after 3.5 versions of our old adventures happened. PCs never figured it out heh heh]

3.PF to 5th-It hasent really happened yet and if it does at all it might just be an AU rather a replacement. Maybe every version of D&D is a different dimension that are reflections of each other. So if my AD&D Paladin with the +6 Holy Avenger hopped over to the 5E dimension he would be a Devotion Paladin and if my Epic Dwarven IotSFV Wizard went into the AD&D universe he would be Yog-Sothoth

Joe the Rat
2015-05-04, 10:55 AM
Not sure if this helps: They exited the dungeon under a new ruleset.

Mine was going from BFRPG (A B/X clone) to 5th - an increase in structure and complexity, even with all of the insane add-ons we were using. It took all of two houserulings to get them up to speed: The elf fighter-magic user became High Elf (racial analog) Fighter, borrowing a spell slot from the Wizard level he'd pick up at 2 so he could still cast sleep, and the Monk got to keep his halberd proficiency.

We have other options on the books for races, classes, etc., some of which might need a retool, but I'll burn those dice and cast that bridge if it ever comes up.

It did inspire a rename for the campaign.

Mr.Moron
2015-05-04, 11:03 AM
We started totally fresh. New game with new characters and a new setting nobody had any prior experience or connections with.

DragonBaneDM
2015-05-04, 11:08 AM
My girlfriend and her friends play 3.5. My friends and I play 4th edition. Me starting a 5E Eberron campaign was a good compromise.

Asmotherion
2015-05-04, 11:18 AM
At the time 5e came out, we were playing D20 classless. So, we just made a new campain, and I like it even more than classless. :3

My girlfriend and her friends play 3.5. My friends and I play 4th edition. Me starting a 5E Eberron campaign was a good compromise.

If you DM you miss the chance of having your girlfriend's rogue character sneak attack nearly kill you just for the fun of it >_> XD