PDA

View Full Version : Draconic summoning?

Atypical_Necro
2015-05-03, 08:22 AM
In the campaign I'm currently running I decided to run the BBEG as a summoner, but I've been looking for ways to beef up her creatures. She worships a dragon god, so I was toying with the idea of creating a feat for her that applies the half-dragon template to her summoned creatures. Would this be too much? Paired with the Augment Summoning feat it would grant her summons a +12 to Strength against my party, who generally prefer a straightforward fight. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-03, 08:50 AM
Maybe just apply the Draconic template (Draconomicon, I think) to creatures that would normally have the Celestial or Fiendish templates?

ShurikVch
2015-05-03, 08:57 AM
Not an answer to the question, just a note: I'm absolutely sure - I'm seen something (feat? CF? ACF?) which allow follower of Tiamat to summon chromatic dragons via Summon Monster spells

Urpriest
2015-05-03, 05:46 PM
Not an answer to the question, just a note: I'm absolutely sure - I'm seen something (feat? CF? ACF?) which allow follower of Tiamat to summon chromatic dragons via Summon Monster spells

Some of the Dragon Magazine articles about the various deities have alternate summoning choices, could be from there.

There are also Dragon Ally spells, but that's a bit weird for an NPC.

DrKerosene
2015-05-04, 02:44 AM
There are also Dragon Ally spells, but that's a bit weird for an NPC.

Those are the ones that require you have a pile of gold ready before even trying to negotiate with the summoned Dragon, right? Might make for a good anti-climax if the summoner angers the Dragon.

I'd mimicthe Alienist and, epending on the level of your players, I would go with swapping Celestial/Fiendish for Draconic/Half-Dragon, probably on reptilian creatures.

This is probably the worst option, but maybe Draconic Grafts? Kinda like if Fleshwarper was Dragon themed instead of Aberration.

Crake
2015-05-04, 03:35 AM
to be fair, greenbound summoning gives summons something like a +3 template as well, so a feat that gives your summons the half dragon template isn't so bad by comparison.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-04, 03:56 AM
to be fair, greenbound summoning gives summons something like a +3 template as well, so a feat that gives your summons the half dragon template isn't so bad by comparison.

Ed Bonny, the designer of the feat, designed it as a +2 metamagic feat (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?128424-What-have-i-missed-about-Greenbound-Summoning/page5&p=2195156&viewfull=1#post2195156). This was omitted in the text, but that's because LEoF is a poorly edited pile of spaghetti. Playing Greenbound Summoning without a level increase is like requiring monks to spend a feat for proficiency with unarmed strikes - it may be RAW, but it's completely stupid and the RAW is only the way it is because of an accidental omission.