PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Boomerang Halfling Feedback

ComaVision
2015-05-03, 06:07 PM
Hi Playgrounders!

The campaign I was DMing (finally) wrapped up today so I get to play again in a couple weeks! I've offered to pick up the trapfinding/stealth role as nobody else seemed to want to. I've wanted to do a boomerang character for a while so I'm going to try doing it like that (despite knowing something like an Unseen Seer would be better).

The campaign is starting at level 3 and ending at level 10-15, which is why my build currently ends at 15.

My rolled stats with modifiers are:
10 Str
19 Dex
13 Con
15 Int
10 Wis
11 Cha

Build:
http://i.imgur.com/f9pjqYc.png

Group is mid-OP. I was shooting for Tier 3 but I think I'm pretty soundly a high Tier 4. I was hoping you guys had some suggestions.

Things I want to avoid:
Aptitude enchantment

Things I want to have:
Trapfinding
Boomerangs

Anthrowhale
2015-05-03, 06:33 PM
For improved offense, I'd suggest Master thrower 5 => Weak Spot, plus Martial Monk [Power Throw]. This means you use touch attacks and can take advantage of them by dumping BAB for damage. Since the daze DC scales with damage while Touch ACs generally don't scale, this is highly advantageous at higher levels.

ComaVision
2015-05-03, 06:50 PM
For improved offense, I'd suggest Master thrower 5 => Weak Spot, plus Martial Monk [Power Throw]. This means you use touch attacks and can take advantage of them by dumping BAB for damage. Since the daze DC scales with damage while Touch ACs generally don't scale, this is highly advantageous at higher levels.

Thanks for the reply. The reason I didn't go that route is because I lose the Dex to Damage from Targeteer while using Weak Spot, so I have to use 5-ish points of Power Throw just for parity.

On second thought, I'll probably be fine to use more than 5 by level 13 anyway. It would help against the crit immune enemies that I don't get my Dex bonus against too. Good suggestion.

Anthrowhale
2015-05-03, 08:24 PM
...I lose the Dex to Damage from Targeteer while using Weak Spot...

I don't follow. Weak Spot says:

the master thrower does not apply her Strength bonus to the damage.
You have no strength bonus.

You should also look towards your defenses. I'd suggest an Antimagic Torc as a panic button or tactical play. It interferes with buffs cast by allies, but sometimes you just want to nerf enemy magical attacks & defenses above all else, and you can do that very well while still being able to attack.

ComaVision
2015-05-03, 09:11 PM
I don't follow. Weak Spot says:

You have no strength bonus.

You should also look towards your defenses. I'd suggest an Antimagic Torc as a panic button or tactical play. It interferes with buffs cast by allies, but sometimes you just want to nerf enemy magical attacks & defenses above all else, and you can do that very well while still being able to attack.
Targeteer lets me use Dex instead of Str, so I think a fair reading would presume I lose that. I'd still keep the damage from Dead Eye.

Anthrowhale
2015-05-03, 10:08 PM
Targeteer lets me use Dex instead of Str, so I think a fair reading would presume I lose that. I'd still keep the damage from Dead Eye.

I'd rule otherwise.

torrasque666
2015-05-03, 10:18 PM
I'd rule otherwise.
Wait, didn't you just say that he has no strength bonus? The text for the Vital Aim ability says that you replace your Strength Bonus with your Dexterity Modifier. If you have no bonus to begin with, you have nothing to replace. And even then, hell, he takes one point of STR damage and he can't even use the ability.

heavyfuel
2015-05-03, 10:27 PM
Also: something something, martial monks can't use their feats, only select them from a non-existent list. If you want to follow RAW by allowing martial monks to get feats they don't qualify for (lv1 Weapon Supremacy wut), you might as well follow RAW all the way through and go full-dysfunctional.

ComaVision
2015-05-04, 01:34 AM
Lol I'll check with my DM if I go the Martial Monk route. Any other thoughts for bumping the idea up to T3?

ComaVision
2015-05-04, 01:14 PM
For some reason, I didn't realise Boomerang Ricochet had a BaB requirement. I'll have to take that later on, and I'll only take one level of Targeteer so I can get in to Master Thrower quicker. I'll update the imagine in OP when I can.