PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How to Make a Munchkinned Wizard

GreatWyrmGold
2015-05-03, 06:53 PM
In a story I'm writing, one of the characters is a wizard. Since the universe the character comes from runs on D&D rules, I figured it would make sense for one of the protagonists to be a bit of a munchkin, and the wizard was a natural choice. (I hear divine casters are even better, but munchkinry just fits a wizard's personality so much better than a cleric's...and a cleric which doesn't spend a certain portion of his strength on healing his party members isn't terribly likely, either.)

Here's the thing. I'm obsessive, so I want to make character sheets for all the characters to make sure I don't do anything too impossible. Another thing: I suck at munchkinning.

Constraints:
1. The character is an elf.
2. Should be a wizard, or at least a wizard-like class that is a wizard as much as the other party members care. Prestige classes are fine.
3. Nothing stupidly obscure, but non-core is perfectly fine and encouraged. (It helps them feel like more munchkinny even if it isn't.)
4. Nothing that no sane GM would accept. In addition, nothing that would break the story too much.
5. The character is currently at level 11, but the build should have room to grow, because with a few centuries of life left, there's going to be some level-ups.

Does anyone have advice?

Doctor Awkward
2015-05-03, 06:57 PM
You're welcome. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?404670-1st-tier-casters-defend-vs-everything&p=18985343#post18985343)

GreatWyrmGold
2015-05-03, 07:08 PM
You're welcome. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?404670-1st-tier-casters-defend-vs-everything&p=18985343#post18985343)
...Impressive. that was not only fast, but quite helpful. A bit limited, though, and dangerously close to breaking the story.

Tvtyrant
2015-05-03, 07:20 PM
Craft Contingency for always going first, never getting hit. I like collegiate wizard and elven generalist to double spells gained at level up. Uncanny forethought allows you to cast spontaneously, requires spell mastery. I like spellbooks, but taking Eidetic Spellcaster makes you immune to spellbook loss.

Doctor Awkward
2015-05-03, 07:22 PM
It does have quite a bit of story-breaker power, to the point where only blatant stupidity on his part could actually hope to defeat him.

There are a number of things you'd probably have to write around in order to make him a respectable character in a story. Chief among them, in my opinion, is his ability to attack his enemies with an Astral Projection from his completely unassailable demiplane. I'd suggest either removing that aspect of the setup entirely, or find a creative way for the other characters to overcome it.

I'd suggest doing that for any parts you don't like. Just cut them out, and see if you still like what's left.

As far as his capabilities there is almost nothing that he cannot accomplish. And if by some miracle there is, he can almost always just turn into something that can.

dextercorvia
2015-05-03, 09:05 PM
You can do a lot worse than Elven Generalist Domain Wizard5/Incantatrix6

For Feats, I like Uncanny Forethought (requires Spell Mastery -- Retrain another feat into Spell Mastery at 11, and your early Spell Mastery into something else). A lot of people like Spontaneous Divination with Wizard 5, and it is strong. I like to pick up the Domain Granted Ability ACF from CChamp, which states: "If you take levels in a class that grants you a domain choice (such as cleric), you gain the full benefits of the domain in addition to the other domains available to you from that class." Domain Wizard offers a domain choice, so you get the full benefits of the cleric domain you chose for the Granted Ability, which include domain slots, and spells on your list.

Of course, you want Extend and Persist. You get Iron Will from the Otyugh Hole in your backstory. Some fun spells to persist include Bite of the Wereboar, followed by Scintillating Scales. Friendly Fire is a great one, too.

GreatWyrmGold
2015-05-04, 05:32 AM
Craft Contingency for always going first, never getting hit. I like collegiate wizard and elven generalist to double spells gained at level up. Uncanny forethought allows you to cast spontaneously, requires spell mastery. I like spellbooks, but taking Eidetic Spellcaster makes you immune to spellbook loss.

You can do a lot worse than Elven Generalist Domain Wizard5/Incantatrix6
For Feats, I like Uncanny Forethought (requires Spell Mastery -- Retrain another feat into Spell Mastery at 11, and your early Spell Mastery into something else). A lot of people like Spontaneous Divination with Wizard 5, and it is strong. I like to pick up the Domain Granted Ability ACF from CChamp, which states: "If you take levels in a class that grants you a domain choice (such as cleric), you gain the full benefits of the domain in addition to the other domains available to you from that class." Domain Wizard offers a domain choice, so you get the full benefits of the cleric domain you chose for the Granted Ability, which include domain slots, and spells on your list.
Of course, you want Extend and Persist. You get Iron Will from the Otyugh Hole in your backstory. Some fun spells to persist include Bite of the Wereboar, followed by Scintillating Scales. Friendly Fire is a great one, too.
Those all sound pretty good. The only problem is I don't know what most of them are. Could you provide some sources?

It does have quite a bit of story-breaker power, to the point where only blatant stupidity on his part could actually hope to defeat him.
There are a number of things you'd probably have to write around in order to make him a respectable character in a story. Chief among them, in my opinion, is his ability to attack his enemies with an Astral Projection from his completely unassailable demiplane. I'd suggest either removing that aspect of the setup entirely, or find a creative way for the other characters to overcome it.
I'd suggest doing that for any parts you don't like. Just cut them out, and see if you still like what's left.
As far as his capabilities there is almost nothing that he cannot accomplish. And if by some miracle there is, he can almost always just turn into something that can.
I'd prefer to avoid needing to write around the character.

Red Fel
2015-05-04, 05:50 AM
Those all sound pretty good. The only problem is I don't know what most of them are. Could you provide some sources?

Collegiate Wizard: Feat, Complete Arcane; gives you bonus spells.

Elven Generalist: ACF for Elf Wizards, Races of the Wild; one of the benefits is getting an extra highest-level spell.

Eidetic Spellcaster: ACF, Dragon Magazine; prepare spells without a spellbook.

Incantatrix: PrC, Magic of Faerun (3.0), Player's Guide to Faerun (3.5); lets you cheese out metamagic.

Otyugh Hole: Magic location, pay money and receive the Iron Will feat.

Bite of the Wereboar, Scintillating Scales, Friendly Fire: Spells. Don't feel like looking up a source.

dextercorvia
2015-05-04, 08:49 AM
Collegiate Wizard: Feat, Complete Arcane; gives you bonus spells.

Elven Generalist: ACF for Elf Wizards, Races of the Wild; one of the benefits is getting an extra highest-level spell.

Eidetic Spellcaster: ACF, Dragon Magazine; prepare spells without a spellbook.

Incantatrix: PrC, Magic of Faerun (3.0), Player's Guide to Faerun (3.5); lets you cheese out metamagic.

Otyugh Hole: Magic location, pay money and receive the Iron Will feat.

Bite of the Wereboar, Scintillating Scales, Friendly Fire: Spells. Don't feel like looking up a source.

Thanks, Red. Note that the Magic of Faerun version of Incantatrix is less good, and was updated by the PGtF version.

Bite of the X line and Scintillating Scaless are in Spell Compendium. Friendly Fire is in Exemplars of Evil along with Uncanny Forethought.

Segev
2015-05-04, 09:05 AM
Worth noting that the game-breaker stuff for the first linked build is mostly higher level. Level 11 couldn't, for instance, Astral Project or have a personal demiplane, let alone Shapechange.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-05-04, 09:20 AM
I'd prefer to avoid needing to write around the character.
You, ah, might not want a character who's entire schtick is "can do anything with a standard action" then. A sorcerer might be easier, since you'd actually have a limited list of spells known to work around.

GreatWyrmGold
2015-05-04, 10:08 AM
You, ah, might not want a character who's entire schtick is "can do anything with a standard action" then.
I'm planning not to do so. It'll take a lot more levels and crazy munchkinerry than I intend to include to pull that off...

The sources are nice. Thanks, y'all!