PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Kitting out a non-combat wizard

Milodiah
2015-05-04, 10:08 AM
So, I'm currently working on an NPC wizard who will serve somewhat as an antagonist for the PCs in the upcoming segment of the campaign (in the "I happen to own the allegedly totally crooked business you're investigating, Shadowrunny kind of way). He's a professional abjurationist who goes around safeguarding businesses, and he is absolutely not a combat mage of any kind...but at the same time he's gotta have something to protect him, he's a comparatively high level wizard in a bad part of town.

So, that's why I'm here. What would a 12th level wizard (abjuration school with leanings into illusion, enchantment/necromancy barred schools) with disposable income be packing in terms of a self-defense setup, given that he uses most if not all of his actual spell slots per day to "install" magic security. He has Craft Wands, so he can make his own for that, and has easy access to most mid-tier magic items should he want them.

As a caveat, he has a warblade bodyguard who follows him around polymorphed to pass off as his cat familiar (yep, tibbit bodyguard, deal with it), but he's still 3 levels higher, and might as well pitch in if his life is ever seriously in danger.

GilesTheCleric
2015-05-04, 10:10 AM
Typical item picks. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19198737&postcount=15), because I'm too lazy to re-do all that formatting.

Milodiah
2015-05-04, 10:11 AM
Wow, nice turnaround. Thanks for that, plus you reminded me of something I totally forgot even in the first sentence...those wonderful "extra spell slot" items like pearls of power.