PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Interesting Exotic Light Weapons

LoyalPaladin
2015-05-04, 11:48 AM
Welcome to Monday, Playground.

One of my buddies is rejoining a campaign we are playing and he has been away for a long time. He is creating a Hellbred (Soul) Swashbuckler/Duelist, and he asked for my assistance in building it.

We're level 9 currently, so he has gone 6 Swashbuckler / 3 Duelist. His feats are: Dodge Mobility Spring Attack Exotic Weapon Proficiency (________)
With all this in mind, what sort of light exotic weapon could you recommend? As a player, he loves exotic weapons. But he would like it to be flashy and functional.

Bonus points if you can give me some great feat ideas or other cool stuff for this sort of build.

RolkFlameraven
2015-05-04, 11:57 AM
Do they have to be light or just finessable? Because Elven Thin/Lightblade would be my thoughts if its just finessable though the lightblade is still a light weapon IIRC.

LoyalPaladin
2015-05-04, 12:01 PM
Do they have to be light or just finessable? Because Elven Thin/Lightblade would be my thoughts if its just finessable though the lightblade is still a light weapon IIRC.
It has to be one handed, otherwise that would have been a great option...

GilesTheCleric
2015-05-04, 12:09 PM
For a base weapon, the most functionality you'll get are bonuses to trip/grapple/disarm, unless you go for one of the popular op picks like the quickrazor. Here's some that hopefully qualify regardless.

Braid Blade Dun120 35
Japute Drag331 72
Nekode PH 117
Ribbon Dagger Dun118 42
Sharktooth Gauntlet Drag315 41
Steel Fins Und 64
Dragonsplit MM4 151 (I think there was something cool you could do with these?)
Flutterblade Und 64
Ghost Spike Drag348 86
Ribbonweave RoE 172
Whip, Stingray Sw 107
Spiked Chain (of course)
Scorpion Chain, Drow RoE 172

Most of those should be finessable.

LoyalPaladin
2015-05-04, 12:17 PM
For a base weapon, the most functionality you'll get are bonuses to trip/grapple/disarm, unless you go for one of the popular op picks like the quickrazor. Here's some that hopefully qualify regardless.

Braid Blade Dun120 35
Japute Drag331 72
Nekode PH 117
Ribbon Dagger Dun118 42
Sharktooth Gauntlet Drag315 41
Steel Fins Und 64
Dragonsplit MM4 151 (I think there was something cool you could do with these?)
Flutterblade Und 64
Ghost Spike Drag348 86
Ribbonweave RoE 172
Whip, Stingray Sw 107
Spiked Chain (of course)
Scorpion Chain, Drow RoE 172

Most of those should be finessable.
I'll forward those to him! The Dragonsplit looks interesting.

Red Fel
2015-05-04, 12:20 PM
Seconding Elven Thinblade. It's basically a finessable longsword; one-handed, good damage, but finesse on top of that. It also keys off of any feat that requires a rapier or longsword (e.g. Weapon Focus).

Also adding a suggestion for a Kaorti Resin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) weapon. Basically, take an ordinary weapon, make it from Kaorti Resin, and it requires EWP specific to that weapon. They're made of a flexible, stretchable, yet razor-sharp substance that gives them a bonus to disarms and an increased critical multiplier.

So, you know. Whip-sword.

Seerow
2015-05-04, 12:26 PM
For a duelist type I like the Broadblade Shortsword, but that's because I tend to play my duelists with a focus on active defense (combat expertise and all of the various odds and ends that boost it). Barring that the Elven Thinblade is probably your best bet. Kusarigama or whatever it's called might be a weird choice but as a light tripping reach weapon it has a lot to recommend itself.

LoyalPaladin
2015-05-04, 12:29 PM
Seconding Elven Thinblade. It's basically a finessable longsword; one-handed, good damage, but finesse on top of that. It also keys off of any feat that requires a rapier or longsword (e.g. Weapon Focus).

Also adding a suggestion for a Kaorti Resin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) weapon. Basically, take an ordinary weapon, make it from Kaorti Resin, and it requires EWP specific to that weapon. They're made of a flexible, stretchable, yet razor-sharp substance that gives them a bonus to disarms and an increased critical multiplier.

So, you know. Whip-sword.
That will probably be what he picks, knowing him. Haha.

For a duelist type I like the Broadblade Shortsword, but that's because I tend to play my duelists with a focus on active defense (combat expertise and all of the various odds and ends that boost it). Barring that the Elven Thinblade is probably your best bet. Kusarigama or whatever it's called might be a weird choice but as a light tripping reach weapon it has a lot to recommend itself.
I'll throw those in the pot as well! Kusarigama will probably give the thinblade a run for it's money.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-05-04, 12:57 PM
I'd go with a Kusari-Gama, DMG page 144-145. It's basically a chain with a blade at the end, it deals slashing damage and has reach but can still hit adjacent targets. You can trip with it, and it gives you a +2 to disarm.

I'll also strongly recommend switching the build to Swashbuckler 3/ Feat Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue) 4/ Duelist, taking Rogue at levels 1, 3, 5, and 7 and Swashbuckler at levels 2, 4, and 6.

If he switches to Gray Elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#grayElf) he'll get a bonus to Dex and Int, and be able to take Improved Weapon Familiarity (CW) instead of Exotic Weapon Proficiency to get proficiency with any exotic weapon with Elf/Elven in the name (Thinblade, Lightblade, Courtblade, etc.), including Kaorti Resin versions of those weapons.

LoyalPaladin
2015-05-04, 03:44 PM
I'd go with a Kusari-Gama, DMG page 144-145. It's basically a chain with a blade at the end, it deals slashing damage and has reach but can still hit adjacent targets. You can trip with it, and it gives you a +2 to disarm.

I'll also strongly recommend switching the build to Swashbuckler 3/ Feat Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue) 4/ Duelist, taking Rogue at levels 1, 3, 5, and 7 and Swashbuckler at levels 2, 4, and 6.

If he switches to Gray Elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#grayElf) he'll get a bonus to Dex and Int, and be able to take Improved Weapon Familiarity (CW) instead of Exotic Weapon Proficiency to get proficiency with any exotic weapon with Elf/Elven in the name (Thinblade, Lightblade, Courtblade, etc.), including Kaorti Resin versions of those weapons.
Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I will link him this whole thread. Haha.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-04, 06:39 PM
Kusari-gama (DMG) is one of the strongest exotic light weapons, IMO, being a reach weapon that can also strike adjacent foes. It's better for sheer lockdown than the spiked chain because you can TWF with them, but since it isn't two-handed you lose out on some damage output. Also I've been ninja'd twice, woops.

Regarding the Elven Thinblade/Lightblade, they are in no way worth a feat. The Lightblade is a kukri stepped up one damage die, and the Thinblade is a rapier stepped up one damage die. Both of them deal, on average, one more point of damage than their martial counterparts (which OP's character is proficient with, due to those Swashbuckler levels). That small of a modification (+1 average damage, +2 max damage) is clearly a bad decision when you note that Weapon Specialization (+2 minimum damage, +2 average damage, +2 max damage) is generally considered a poor pick as well. Picking EWP for bigger damage dice is a mistake. What makes some exotic weapons good is their other properties.

RolkFlameraven
2015-05-04, 06:52 PM
Aren't there two different Kusari-gama? One that is two-handed and one that, somehow, isn't? Witch is the 'real' one? As this is a duelist it has to be a one hander. Or am I completely off base and WotC really thought that you could wield one of those things effectively one-handed?

Then again dire-fails exist so they probably did :smallfrown:

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-04, 07:01 PM
Aren't there two different Kusari-gama? One that is two-handed and one that, somehow, isn't? Witch is the 'real' one? As this is a duelist it has to be a one hander. Or am I completely off base and WotC really thought that you could wield one of those things effectively one-handed?

WotC, in their infinite wisdom and knowledge, decreed that you hold the kusarigama by the weighted end and swing the blade around like a madman. Question not their decision, for they surely know what is right.

This is probably a typo, but I'm going to start calling dire flails "dire-fails" from now on.

Necroticplague
2015-05-04, 07:09 PM

To my knowledge, there is only one kusarigama, located in the DMG. It's basically a spiked chain, except it's light instead of 2-handed. How exactly one is supposed to wield a kusarigama one-handed is beyond me, but thems the rules.

RolkFlameraven
2015-05-04, 07:10 PM
So they decided that the weapon was used in the opposite way it was, and that somehow made it one-handed? Wonderful, just wonderful.

as for the dire-fail... no, not a typo at all... :smallredface:

darksolitaire
2015-05-05, 01:24 AM
Oriental Adventures Kusari-Gama is an two handed double weapon :smalltongue:

Hellborn_Blight
2015-05-05, 04:29 AM
Eagle's Claw is a good light exotic weapon. It's from Sandstorm, does 1d6 with a 18-20 crit range, and you get a +1 bonus on Sleight of Hand checks made to conceal an eagle’s claw on your body. But it is really good if you pick up the feat Eagle's Fury from the same book that gives you a bonus flurry attack with it at a -2 to all attacks for the round.

Darrin
2015-05-05, 12:57 PM
Eagle's Claw is a good light exotic weapon.

Seconding Eagle's Claw + Eagle's Fury. Also:

Cutting Wheel + Wind and Fire [Style] (Secrets of Sarlona) for cumulative bleeding damage.

LoyalPaladin
2015-05-05, 01:04 PM
Seconding Eagle's Claw + Eagle's Fury. Also:

Cutting Wheel + Wind and Fire [Style] (Secrets of Sarlona) for cumulative bleeding damage.
These are all awesome suggestions. He's making it a soulstealing weapon.

hamishspence
2015-05-05, 01:14 PM
To my knowledge, there is only one kusarigama, located in the DMG. It's basically a spiked chain, except it's light instead of 2-handed. How exactly one is supposed to wield a kusarigama one-handed is beyond me, but thems the rules.

I imagine it as something like one of Kratos's Blades of Chaos, in God of War.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-05-05, 08:32 PM
I imagine it as something like one of Kratos's Blades of Chaos, in God of War.

The Anarch Razors are in Dragon issue 328, page 68-69, they're basically an artifact that must be bestowed on a character by the gods, and can never be removed except by the god who granted them.

If you're going the TWF route, Claw Gloves from the Garb of the Hunting Cat in MIC act as +1 punching daggers, you can attack with both on a spring attack or charge, and if you have two pieces of the set whenever you hit with both of them you deal extra rend damage.

hamishspence
2015-05-06, 01:07 AM
The Anarch Razors are in Dragon issue 328, page 68-69, they're basically an artifact that must be bestowed on a character by the gods, and can never be removed except by the god who granted them.

Yup - but for a lower-level, non-magical version, dual-wielding kusari-gama seems like it would capture some of the theme.