PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Creation of Famous Characters

Asmotherion
2015-05-04, 01:24 PM
If you are a bit like me, you pass hours trying to bring your favorite characters from anime/manga/novels/other into D&D reality. Sometimes to have them make a guest star apearance in your campain, sometimes to make them part of the campain as antagonists/party members, and other times just for the fun of it.

So, here is my take of Jarlaxle Baenre, my favorite character in the Forgoten Realms Series. I know Trickster Rogue might have been all he needs, but he is deadlier as an Illusionist 3/Assasin 17

As an Illusionist 3, he gains the following benefits:

-Has a spellbook: Jarlaxle is known to combine magic with fighting in his unique fighting style.
-Gets the Minor Illusion cantrip for free
-Arcane Recovery, so that he gets some more spells per day

Cantrips: Fire Bold, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Friends
1st level spells: Magic Missile, Fog Cloud, Alarm, Alter Self, Color Spray, Disguise Self, Charm Person
2nd level spells: Invisibility, Cloud of Daggers, Blindness/Deafness, Darkness, Misty Step, Blur

He gets to profit of almost all the rogue benefits, such as uncanny dodge and adding profficiency bonus, has a sneak attack that deals +8d6 dammage, and, combining it with his illusion spells (such as invisibility/blindness/Darkness/Disguise Self/Friends/Charm Person) he can ensure a terible assasin strike that can deal up to 40d6 damage. One of his signature features is his teleportation, thus the misty step, as well as his displacement effect, thus blur. The rest is there to give him versality

Maybe he could crossclass well into a bard too... If you have any suggestion, I'm all ears.

Also, please post your characters :)

Easy_Lee
2015-05-04, 01:49 PM
Jarlaxle had never demonstrated innate magical ability, only understanding of it. I'd peg him as a thief rogue, no more, no less. And he'd need to be a thief to be able to use both arcane and divine wands, as he's been shown to do.

For one from the same novel series, I think Drizzt is pretty simple. Take the ranger Hunter archetype and apply it to a full fighter. Give him TWFighting style, defensive duelist, evasion, hoard breaker, multiattack defense, and whirlwind attack and you got yourself a Drizzt.

Ralanr
2015-05-04, 02:07 PM
Jarlaxle had never demonstrated innate magical ability, only understanding of it. I'd peg him as a thief rogue, no more, no less. And he'd need to be a thief to be able to use both arcane and divine wands, as he's been shown to do.

For one from the same novel series, I think Drizzt is pretty simple. Take the ranger Hunter archetype and apply it to a full fighter. Give him TWFighting style, defensive duelist, evasion, hoard breaker, multiattack defense, and whirlwind attack and you got yourself a Drizzt.

What about his partner?

Easy_Lee
2015-05-04, 02:13 PM
What about his partner?

Kimmuriel? We don't have a psion class yet. If you meant Drizzt's Guenhwyvar, she's summoned with a magic item and acts independently, so he's pretty clearly not a beast master.

Ralanr
2015-05-04, 03:27 PM
Kimmuriel? We don't have a psion class yet. If you meant Drizzt's Guenhwyvar, she's summoned with a magic item and acts independently, so he's pretty clearly not a beast master.

I meant the cat. I forget that they have a set of those items.

D.U.P.A.
2015-05-04, 03:32 PM
Drow already have some innate spellcasting ability, so even Jarlaxle could do some basic Drow magic.

Yagyujubei
2015-05-04, 04:43 PM
yeah jarlaxl gets his magic from items. one of my favorite moments involving him is from the sellswords trilogy when someone casts detect magic while looking at him and entreri, and while he see's a dagger and sword glowing brightly on entreri's person looking at jarlaxl makes him go temporarily blind from how bright his various magical auras are.

I would actually give him that new swashbuckler archetype though and swap elegant maneuver for use magical devices, and master duelist with thief's reflexes.