PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Spell: Entangling Field PEACH

Syrinth
2015-05-04, 03:26 PM
So we're starting an E6 campaign soon, and one of my favorite things to do as a wizard is make custom items/spells. This wizard is focusing on battlefield control/buffing so I had an idea for a spell to use to buy the party time.

This spell took some inspiration from Obscuring Mist and Web as its forbears but I'm still unsure of it and hoping you guys could give me your opinions. Too weak, too strong etc.

Entangling Field
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 1 (maybe 2?)
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 20 feet
Effect: 20+5 ft./2 levels radius shell of energy 5 ft./2 levels wide
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will partial, see text
Spell Resistance: No

A reflective field of energy springs into existence around you. The sphere warps and distorts light passing through it, making it difficult to determine exact details from either side. The sphere provides cover to those separated by it. If there is at least 20 feet of distance between you, the cover bonus is doubled. Creatures entangled by the barrier receive neither concealment or total concealment.

This barrier resists intrusion, anyone entering it must make a Will Save or become entangled and prevented from moving. They can break free of the effect by spending 1 round and making DC 20 Str check or DC 25 Escape Artist. Once loose (either by making the initial Will save or a later Strength check or Escape Artist check), a creature remains entangled, but may move through the field at half-speed. If you succeed on the initial save, but later re-enter, you must make a new save.

Vs Obscuring Mist
-It does not shut down LoS as Obscuring mist does, nor does it provide a flat % chance to miss. Obscuring Mist is more powerful in terms of making combat difficult.
-Allows a bonus to Ref. saves
-Allows everyone to see what's going on, or at least the general sense of it.

Vs Web
-Easier to cast as it does not require anchor points.
-Easier to attack through as there is not a physical object blocking you, nor are you usually prevented from taking advantage of their entanglement.
-Harder to entrap an opponent against their will.
-Will save makes it easy to catch fighters, not much easier than Web though, since Ref is also bad for them.
-The fact that the entrapment triggers on their turn forces them to possibly lose two turns. Failing the initial Will save on their turn, then taking 1 round to break the entanglement.

Vs Both
-Unaffected by fire
-Much smaller area of actual effect.