View Full Version : Roguish Class/PrC with access to shadow based magic?

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-05-04, 06:37 PM
Anyone know any roguish class with access to shadow based or flavored magic?

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-04, 07:03 PM
Shadowdancer (DMG)? It's crap, but it's shadow-rogue-flavored crap.

If you want something that's actually good, go with a Shadow Hand Swordsage (Tome of Battle). Or you could just go into Assassin, I think they get Darkness and some similar spells. Maybe a Warlock dip for at-will Darkness if you want.

nedz
2015-05-04, 07:56 PM
Beguiler with Penumbra Bloodline ( Dragon Compendium) gets you Shadow evocation and Greater shadow evocation plus some other stuff.
Then dip some full casting PrC to pick up Shadow conjuration and Greater shadow conjuration via Advanced learning.
You already get Shadow Walk.

Is this enough ?

Psyren
2015-05-04, 08:07 PM
Are you familiar with Incarnum? You could go for Umbral Disciple - it's like Shadowdancer (and also gets HiPS) but doesn't suck as bad. It has essentia progression and even advances sneak attack.

DrMotives
2015-05-04, 08:12 PM
You can also use Arcane Discipline to add the Darkness domain spells to your list. Although there's 2 versions of that list, the FR version and the BoVD version. The BoVD version seems more actual darkness-themed, the FR version has stuff like power word kill, obscuring mist, and nightmare on it.

Thurbane
2015-05-04, 08:23 PM
Shadowblade (ToM)?

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-05-04, 08:29 PM
Shadowdancer (DMG)? It's crap, but it's shadow-rogue-flavored crap.

If you want something that's actually good, go with a Shadow Hand Swordsage (Tome of Battle). Or you could just go into Assassin, I think they get Darkness and some similar spells. Maybe a Warlock dip for at-will Darkness if you want.

Trying to avoid far east based classes due to the setting of the campaign being in a isolated cavern with a steampunk metropolis in it. End of the world hide underground etc. etc. etc.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-05-04, 08:31 PM
You can also use Arcane Discipline to add the Darkness domain spells to your list. Although there's 2 versions of that list, the FR version and the BoVD version. The BoVD version seems more actual darkness-themed, the FR version has stuff like power word kill, obscuring mist, and nightmare on it.

I do like that idea just need to find a darkness god that isn't evil.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-05-04, 08:33 PM
Shadowblade (ToM)?

Thought about it but it seems it is not a very good.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-05-04, 08:34 PM
Are you familiar with Incarnum? You could go for Umbral Disciple - it's like Shadowdancer (and also gets HiPS) but doesn't suck as bad. It has essentia progression and even advances sneak attack.

Looks promising but i'm not sure how to play it.

Lord Loss
2015-05-04, 08:41 PM
Would ToM's Child of Night fit the bill?

Troacctid
2015-05-04, 08:41 PM
I'd probably go with Beguiler. Very rogueish and lots of appropriate magic.

Trying to avoid far east based classes due to the setting of the campaign being in a isolated cavern with a steampunk metropolis in it. End of the world hide underground etc. etc. etc.

Shadowdancer, Swordsage, and Assassin don't have any far-east flavor.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-05-04, 08:44 PM
I'd probably go with Beguiler. Very rogueish and lots of appropriate magic.

Shadowdancer, Swordsage, and Assassin don't have any far-east flavor.

I should of specified from what I read about Swordsage seemed very monastic far east.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-05-04, 08:49 PM
If I do go Beguiler should I do a Rogue 3/ Beguiler 6 / Shadowcraft Mage 5/ Arcane trickster 5 ?

Troacctid
2015-05-04, 08:51 PM
I should of specified from what I read about Swordsage seemed very monastic far east.

It's basically flavored as a cross between a Monk and a Rogue/Assassin, with a little supernatural flair mixed in. I guess Monks technically have an Eastern inspiration, but if Monks are okay in your setting, Swordsages should be too.

If I do go Beguiler should I do a Rogue 3/ Beguiler 6 / Shadowcraft Mage 5/ Arcane trickster 5 ?

I wouldn't--losing caster levels is pretty bad. Just go Beguiler into Shadowcraft Mage, or even straight Beguiler 20. If you want sneak attack, you could dip a level of Rogue or Spellthief and go into Unseen Seer.

Lapsed Pacifist
2015-05-04, 09:17 PM
The PRC with the best name - Telflammar Shadowlord! (Sadly has entirely ludicrous entry requirements)

Pluto!
2015-05-04, 10:43 PM
Nightblade (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/ascension-games-llc/nightblade) sounds like it does what you're looking for.

Or Psychic Rogue (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) with Adjust Light and appropriate feats.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-05-04, 11:31 PM
Nightblade (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/ascension-games-llc/nightblade) sounds like it does what you're looking for.

Or Psychic Rogue (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) with Adjust Light and appropriate feats.

Nightblade is exactly what i'm looking for to bad i'm playing 3.5. Do you know or anyone how to convert it over and not be to OP?

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-04, 11:49 PM
Nightblade is exactly what i'm looking for to bad i'm playing 3.5. Do you know or anyone how to convert it over and not be to OP?

Probably just word-for-word. It's not gonna be any higher than T3 without getting full-casting. Might be strong, but not at all overpowered for most games.

Val666
2015-05-05, 12:23 AM
You can always go for Swordsage x/Warlock y. It's a funny combo with much tricks and utility. Even the Binder 1 dip could be added on top for more versatility :v

nedz
2015-05-05, 02:48 AM

Rogue 1 / Beguiler 4 / Unseen Seer X or Rogue 2 / Beguiler 3 / Unseen Seer X are better starting points.
The choice here is Evasion for a caster level, the former is available via a ring however.
X = 10 gives you 5d6 sneak
Add in Practiced Spellcaster to mitigate US's downside.