PDA

View Full Version : Help making an Ogre "Magi"

Ermanti
2015-05-04, 09:30 PM
A friend of mine is running a Dawnforge campaign. He has a lot of homebrew and is currently reworking the Warlock, and I thought it would be fun to make and Ogre Magi themed Ogre. Ogres in Dawnforge (and races in general) are a bit different in the setting, so I'll list the changes and options available to me. I wanted to go with a Warlock base, and he hasn't decided on all the changes, but a major bloodline is incorporated into the class, along with iterative attacks with both eldritch blast and hideous blow.

The current party consists of a level 6 enchanter, level 6 warblade, and a level 6 rogue. I was thinking of being a glass cannon and scout, with the titan bloodline for thematic reasons.

Ogre stats: +4 str, -2 dex, -2 int, -2 cha; lowlight vision, 40 ft base speed, humanoid type and medium size. Stat bumps at 3 (+2 con), 5 (+2 con), 7 (+2 str) and 9 (+2 wis) every odd level from 1-10 gain a racial talent, every even 1-10 gain a racial transformation

Racial talents:

+1 to hit with piercing melee and javelins, may not be taken twice in a row
1/day take a 20 on a str check and gain +10 untyped to it
+1 skill point per level, may only be taken once
Whenever an aoo is taken, push the victim back 5 feet, requires large size and may only be taken once
gain either blindfight, power attack, or improved unarmed strike as a bonus feat
1/day remove fatigued condition or lessen exhausted to fatigued
hurl rocks like a giant for 2d6 and 120 range, requires large
Catch rocks like a giant, requires large
increase carrying capacity by 50%, may only be taken once
bluff and hide become class skills, may take 10 while feinting or causing a distraction
+2 bluff and sense motive, +2 saves vs. compulsion, may only be taken once
immunity to intimidation and the shaken condition

Racial Transformations:

Darkvision
Large size, requires level 6
change humanoid (ogre) type to giant, requires large size and level 8
+1 natural armor, requires lvl 4, cannot be taken twice in a row
gain diehard, endurance, great fortitude, or toughness as a bonus feat
gain a swim speed
gain aquatic subtype, requires swim speed
gain sleep, darkness, invisibility, or charm person as a spell-like 1/day, taking it multiple times a new spell-like, not more uses
reduce a physical attribute by 2 to raise a mental attribute by 2
flight speed 40 (good), requires all 4 spell-likes
immunity to compulsion, requires chaotic alignment

As you can see, I have a few more options outside of feats and invocations. I can use any book and the only restrictions do not apply to my class/race combo anyway. 2 flaws are allowed, as is a single trait, 32 point buy. I want to get this character as close to an ogre magi as I can without sacrificing too much power and could use some help choosing between all the different options available to me. Thanks in advance.

DMVerdandi
2015-05-04, 10:18 PM
Race is handled. Base class is handled.

So you need... Feats, weapons/armor, and possible class progression?

As far as class progression goes, I would say... Take 3 levels of Warlock, 3 levels of wizard (Spontaneous divination/Eidetic spellcaster acf), and then progress with Eldritch Theurge. Then pick some other prestige class you qualify for to boost your spell casting more.

Final class would look like:
Warlock3/Wizard3/Eldritch Theurge10/xx4

As far as feats go, plan to become magical, so, make choices that reflect such.

Definitely pick practiced spell caster (Wizard) for your first feat. Maybe pick Collegiate wizard for your second.
Extend spell, other things, maybe some warlock specific feats.

As far as equipment goes, you aren't going to be hefting around any weapons or armor. If you want to be more martial, use weapon spells later on to give yourself, or go the eldritch glaive route.
Use spells for AC and other defenses.
Spend your money on things that boost spell casting and invocations.

End game has you with the equivalent of a level 13 warlock, and level 17 wizard (But can cast spells as level 20).

Ermanti
2015-05-04, 11:09 PM
I'm not worried about class progression, when my DM reworks a class, he makes it worth taking to level 20. We're all pretty hardcore optimizers (with the exception of the rogue, he just doesn't have the system mastery). With your build, I might as well just be a wizard, I would be less MAD and a much better character over-all.

I was looking for feat choices, invocation choices, help choosing between the above racial transformations and talents, and maybe stats. The two paths I am considering are melee and utility. He is allowing both eldritch blast and hideous blow to work with iterative attacks, so eldritch glaive is actually a little suboptimal considering my eventual +6 strength, oversized weapons, and maybe large size. Titan bloodline nets me power attack, cleave, the oversized weapons, another +1 str and +1 con (for a total of +7 str. and +5 con total), and some other miscellaneous goodies as well.

Sam K
2015-05-05, 04:47 AM
You have a str/con race and can use hideous blow with iteratives, it seems melee-lock is the way to go. Also it seems more ogre-like!

Hard to giva advice on anything since your DM clearly changed invocations quite a bit. Pick ones that work well with melee, and a couple that give you some flexibility. Avoid ones that allow a save, since your DC probably won't be that good.