PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next An Interpretation of PF's Magus

pibby
2015-05-04, 10:51 PM
http://golarion.altervista.org/images/5/53/Magus.jpg

Here is the google docs for the magus (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lGLiRa4ApIsIu57ZakwzZf2a5MWyHxw0FJKQpuG8e18/edit?usp=sharing)

This is a first draft so I'd like to hear the forum's praise or complaint. I do plan on playtesting it over the summer in a friend's campaign if he'll let me but I'd like to know what other people outside of my circle think. Despite the lack of playtesting, I did compare its damage progression with other classes and it more or less fits along the rogue's consistant sneak attack progression from this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?375185-Class-Comparisons-for-Ranged-Damage) thread.

As a brief overview, the magus is not simply a wizard fighter but rather a combatant who incorporates magic with his fighting and vice versa. As a token ability he attacks with both his magic and his weapon on the same turn.

Although the original concept had 3/4 casting I decided to reformat the magus's spell progression to that of the warlock's. Making the magus a half caster didn't seem right (considering the half casters now were 1/3 casters back then) and having him as a full caster would mean that I would need to give him a weak spell list and weak at-will damage like a bard.

I didn't include the spell list below because I think that is the feature that probably is going to go through the most frequent changes so you'll have to look at the google docs for that.

-----------

Levels
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Cantrips Known
Spell Slots
Spell Level

+2
Spellcasting, Arcane Bond
1st

+2
Arcane Pool, Magus Path
1st

+2
-
2nd

+2
Ability Score Increase
2nd

+3
Extra Attack, Persistant Arcana
3rd

+3
Magus Path
3rd

+3
-
4th

+3
Ability Score Increase
4th

+4
Knowledge Pool
5th

+4
Magus Path
5th

+4
Greater Spell Access (6th)
5th

+4
Ability Score Increase
5th

+5
Greater Spell Access (7th)
5th

+5
Magus Path
5th

+5
Greater Spell Access (8th)
5th

+5
Ability Score Increase
5th

+6
Greater Spell Access (9th)
5th

+6
Spell Recall
5th

+6
Ability Score Increase
5th

+6
Ulitimate Magus
5th

Class Features
As a magus you gain the following abilities.

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per magus level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per magus level after 1st

Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Simple weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Intelligence
Skills: Choose two from (a mix from the Fighter and Wizard list)

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
• (a) a shortbow and 20 arrows or (b) a short sword
• An arcane focus
• (a) a scholar’s pack or (b) an explorer’s pack
• Leather armor, any simple weapon, and two daggers

Arcane Bond
You may perform a ritual done during a short rest to combine your arcane focus with a simple weapon or a weapon that your Magus Path gave you proficiency in. After that your arcane focus and chosen weapon become the same object. You may also deconstruct your Arcane Bond back into the arcane focus and weapon. This process can be done during the same short rest you combine the arcane focus with another weapon.
You may change the range of any spell with an attack roll you cast to the range of the Arcane Bond you are holding instead if you channel the attack through it. For cantrips you use the Arcane Bond’s damage dice instead of the cantrips’, but for other spells you replace the weapon’s dice and use the entirety of the spell instead. The Arcane Bond’s attack modifier and extra damage also benefit the spell on one attack roll it uses.
At level 5, you may cast a cantrip through your Arcane Bond in place of an attack once per turn.
At level 11, once per turn when you hit an enemy with a cantrip while holding your Arcane Bond you may treat that enemy as if it was vulnerable to the damage type that the cantrip deals unless the enemy is immune or resistant to that damage type.

Spellcasting
For now refer the the wizard’s Spellcasting feature as it is the same for the magus except that the magus gets spell slots back on a short rest. Debatable if its spell slots should stack with the Warlock’s (most likely yes). Wizards can copy spells from the Magus and vice versa but only with spells from their own class list.

Arcane Pool
You get a number of Arcane Pool points equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). These points are used for your magus class features and can be refreshed on a Long Rest. At 5th level these points refresh on a Short Rest.

Persistent Arcana
Spells you cast from the magus spell list that have concentration for up to 1 hour instead have concentration for up to 8 hours when the magus casts such a spell on himself. You may cast Magic Weapon and Elemental Weapon on magical weapons but the bonus attack to hit from weapon and the spell does not stack.

Knowledge Pool
While you are preparing spells you may in conjunction memorize a number of spells from the Wizard list equal to your Intelligence score modifier (minimum 1). You still can’t memorize more spells than you normally can. They must be spells you are capable of casting and no higher than 5th level. (Perhaps should take Arcane Pool points?)

Greater Spell Access
At level 11, the magus gets one 6th-level spell slot to cast a spell through. This spell slot can be recovered on a long rest.
At higher levels, you gain more spell slots of this sort: one 7th-level spell slot at 13th level, one 8th-level spell slot at 15th level, and one 9th-level spell slot at 17th level. You regain all uses of your spell slots from Greater Spell Access when you finish a long rest.

Spell Recall
If a magus lost concentration on a spell he may spend 1 Arcane Pool point to cast it again without using a spell slot if he lost it between his turn and his last turn. This spell casted is not a new spell but the spell that was lost so it persists as if it was never disrupted.

True Magus
You always succeed on Concentration checks for your spells.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/_/rsrc/1395512182247/images/magus_comm_by_yamao-d5ooj32.jpg

Magus Paths
When the time comes the magus must choose a path that favors his fighting style and abandon other martial trainings that he can incorporate with spellcasting. He may still make Arcane Bonds with weapons that don’t suit his path but doing so bars him from using his subclass’s abilities.

Bladebound
You get proficiency in martial melee weapons, medium armor, and shields. Your Arcane Bond must be a melee weapon in order for you to spend Arcane Pool points on these subclass features.

Combat Focus
You can spend 1 Arcane Pool point to add your proficiency bonus to Concentration checks for a spell you just casted.

Spell Combat
At level 6, you can cast a spell that takes an action as a bonus action by spending 1 Arcane Pool point. This spell’s level cannot be any higher than 5 or half of your magus levels rounded up whichever is lower.

Critical Spell
At level 10, when you cast a spell with at least one attack roll you may spend 1 Arcane Pool point to count all confirmed attack rolls as critical hits.

Black Blade
At level 14, you acquire a Black Blade that has come into your hands by some means determined by your DM. It is a sentient +0 magical weapon that takes the form of any melee weapon you desire after a long rest and can only be destroyed by specific means also determined by your DM. It’s Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores are the same as yours as its alignment. It’s special purpose is to serve you so it is quite rare or unheard of for a Black Blade to have conflict with its master. The other features for this sentient item can choosen by you or the DM or even at random.

http://www.killershrike.com/Fate/Fae/Pathfinder/Characters/Iconics/Landrin/Landrin.jpg

Arcane Archer
You get proficiency in martial ranged weapons. Your Arcane Bond must be a ranged weapon in order for you to spend Arcane Pool points on these subclass features.

Imbue Spell Arrow
When you are casting a spell while holding your Arcane Bond you can spend 1 Arcane Pool point to change the damage type of the spell to a new one. The new damage type must match a damage type of a single attack cantrip you know. If the spell has more than once instance of damage you may choose which instances.

Keen Eyes
At level 6, you may spend 1 Arcane Pool point to gain Advantage on ranged attack rolls for one action when you are holding your Arcane Bond.

Piercing Spell
At level 10, when you are holding your Arcane Bond and cast a spell that requires a save against damage, you may spend 1 Arcane Pool point to add all bonuses except the proficiency bonus (as proficiency bonuses do not stack) granted to your Arcane Bond’s attack to the DC of the spell.

Hidden Quiver
At level 14, you gain access to an invisible quiver from which you can always draw from and never runs out of ammunition. After a long rest choose from acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison, or thunder. The arrows you draw from your invisible quiver for that day deal damage of that type.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/_/rsrc/1418153118394/images/Pathfinder-Darius-by-Yama-320.png

Kensai
You gain proficiency in the use of short swords and scimitars. As a Kensai you body is tough giving you an AC of 13 + your Dexterity modifier when you are not armored. Your Arcane Bond must be a simple melee weapon, a short sword, or a scimitar in order for you to spend Arcane Pool points on these subclass features.
If you are holding your Arcane Bond you may channel your spells through your unarmed strikes. You can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of your unarmed strikes when delivering spells this way. Cantrips delivered in this way treat the unarmed strike as a 1d6 damage dice and deal extra points of damage equal to the magus’s Intelligence modifier.

Canny Defense
You may spend 1 Arcane Pool point as a reaction to add your proficiency bonus to your AC until the start of your next turn. This can be done after an attack against you has been declared but before a hit is confirmed.

Hyper Anticipation
At level 6, you may add your proficiency bonus to any saving throw you must make by spending 1 Arcane Pool point as a reaction. This bonus can be added on top of any save you are already proficient with.

Elemental Affinity
At level 10, you can spend 1 Arcane Pool point to gain resistance to a damage type that matches the damage type of a cantrip you know for 1 minute.

Elemental Blast
At level 14, you may launch bolts of energy with martial might. While holding your Arcane Bond you may as an action cast an attack cantrip through it to do a ranged attack. For this instance your Arcane Bond is treated as if it was created with a ranged weapon with a range of 30/60 and a damage die of 3d6.

Giant2005
2015-05-04, 11:38 PM
I am a little concerned with how much your class infringes on the territory of the Warlock (It has the same spellcasting system with a better spell list and better gish abilities) but more than that, I am unsure how it works at all.
Specifically, does the level 5 aspect of the Arcane Bond ability allow you to use the Cantrip's actual damage, or are you still limited to swinging your weapon for its usual damage just with some glowy effect?

pibby
2015-05-05, 08:16 AM
I am a little concerned with how much your class infringes on the territory of the Warlock (It has the same spellcasting system with a better spell list and better gish abilities) but more than that, I am unsure how it works at all.
Specifically, does the level 5 aspect of the Arcane Bond ability allow you to use the Cantrip's actual damage, or are you still limited to swinging your weapon for its usual damage just with some glowy effect?

I figured someone would bring up the warlock's spellcasting progression. I also felt the same the way when I initially thought about it which was why I had it designed as a half-caster at one point. However I came to the conclusion that the warlock's spellcasting progression shouldn't be exclusive to the warlock. Because that's like saying the sorcerer infringes upon the wizard because they too have the same spellcasting progression and more or less the same list of spells. If anything was going to be exclusive I made the Warlock's Invocations his thing. So to avoid infringing on that I didn't give the magus his Magus Arcana which when you think about it are filler abilities since pathfinder's design philosophy was to never have dead levels, even for a spellcaster.

The level 5 aspect lets you cast a cantrip as an attack in the Attack action as opposed to casting it as an action. I wouldn't dismiss the fact that a magus's weapon can deal full damage to ghosts or the fact that he can still attack an ooze with a slashing weapon and not split the ooze in half. Sure this can be done with a cantrip by itself but the fact that you can use a physical stat to attack as opposed to a mental stat reduces the strain of having a MAD gish which is a problem bladelocks have.

As it says in the google docs I still need to reduce the spells in the list to match the count the warlock has and despite having good subclass abilties that scale I had them share the same resource pool as a penalty and as their exclusive "gimmick".

My writing skills are pretty bad so I might have made some class abilities sound more complicated than they really are (or maybe they are complicated and I never thought that was the case since I used to play a lot of pathfinder).

EDIT: I should probably put the entire class in the OP as opposed to a link and have spoilers after the class abilties to explain their design philosophy.

Giant2005
2015-05-05, 08:20 AM
The level 5 aspect lets you cast a cantrip as an attack in the Attack action as opposed to casting it as an action. I wouldn't dismiss the fact that a magus's weapon can deal full damage to ghosts or the fact that he can still attack an ooze with a slashing weapon and not split the ooze in half. Sure this can be done with a cantrip by itself but the fact that you can use a physical stat to attack as opposed to a mental stat reduces the strain of having a MAD gish which is a problem bladelocks have.

You didn't really answer the question. Does the Cantrip still just deal weapon damage at that point?

EDIT: The reason I ask is... I have no idea how this class can keep up in damage with a Rogue. All of its damage seems to come from resource expenditure.

pibby
2015-05-05, 09:58 AM
You didn't really answer the question. Does the Cantrip still just deal weapon damage at that point?

EDIT: The reason I ask is... I have no idea how this class can keep up in damage with a Rogue. All of its damage seems to come from resource expenditure.

Yes the Cantrip still does weapon damage and resource expenditure for sustained damage is a part of most classes. I didn't mean that it can figuratively keep up with the rogue, I meant that its damage progression averages that of the rogue; it's either some points below or above depending on level.

If you look at the fighter's (eldritch knight's) curve in the Average Damage Without Sharpshooter graph its damage is mostly below the rogue's (arcane trickster's). It only gets above the rogue's average damage at level 13 when the fighter gets access to haste but only at that level. I suppose the magus's damage progression is more comparable to the fighter's, making me a liar, but the rogue's damage progression is the easiest to model around and compare since it is the most linear.

Although the magus doesn't gain access to fighting style, they do gain access to magic weapon and elemental weapon which adds to their attack modifier and damage. Haste is even an option for them at level 5 making them the only class that can consistantly attack 3 times without two-weapon fighting.

If I make their at-will damage as strong as the warlock's then I'll need to modify the Arcane Bond to not count as a weapon except when it is a target by monsters and spells so that it can't be affected feats like Sharpshooter or Polearm Master. I don't want the magus to overshadow the martial and half-caster classes after level 10 since they're supposed to get better at-will damage and full-casters get 6th-9th spells (yet Bards tend to defy that).

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-05, 04:59 PM
A different approach to filtering the Magus into 5e could be as an Arcane Tradition of the wizard.

The Magus is a storied tradition of sword and sorcery, a mage that values both the academic study of magic and martial prowess.

Bonus Proficiencies
You have proficiency with simple melee weapons, martial melee weapons, and light armor.

Spell Combat
Starting at 2nd level, your study of martial combat has given you the ability to attack with both spells and weapons. When you cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action, you can make a single melee weapon attack as a bonus action. You don’t add your modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.

Weaponborne Spell
Starting at 6th level, you learn to cast magic through your weapon. Whenever you cast a spell that requires a melee spell attack roll, you can instead make a melee weapon attack roll. On a hit, the target suffers both the effect of the weapon attack and the spell.

You can use this feature a number of times per day equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum once). You regain expended uses of this ability after a long rest.

Improved Spell Combat
Starting at 10th level, you now add your modifier to the damage of the bonus attack granted by your Spell Combat feature. In addition, you have advantage on the attack roll of that bonus attack if the target failed a saving throw against one of your spells since the beginning of your last turn.

Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 14th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Wartex1
2015-05-05, 05:35 PM
A different approach to filtering the Magus into 5e could be as an Arcane Tradition of the wizard.

The Magus is a storied tradition of sword and sorcery, a mage that values both the academic study of magic and martial prowess.

Bonus Proficiencies
You have proficiency with simple melee weapons, martial melee weapons, and light armor.

Spell Combat
Starting at 2nd level, your study of martial combat has given you the ability to attack with both spells and weapons. When you cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action, you can make a single melee weapon attack as a bonus action. You don’t add your modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.

Weaponborne Spell
Starting at 6th level, you learn to cast magic through your weapon. Whenever you cast a spell that requires a melee spell attack roll, you can instead make a melee weapon attack roll. On a hit, the target suffers both the effect of the weapon attack and the spell.

You can use this feature a number of times per day equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum once). You regain expended uses of this ability after a long rest.

Improved Spell Combat
Starting at 10th level, you now add your modifier to the damage of the bonus attack granted by your Spell Combat feature. In addition, you have advantage on the attack roll of that bonus attack if the target failed a saving throw against one of your spells since the beginning of your last turn.

Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 14th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

I agree with this. It's simple and elegant.