PDA

View Full Version : World Help Complex Tiers of Divinity in my setting

GoblinGilmartin
2015-05-05, 01:49 AM
So, I'm working on my 2.0 version of my homebrew campaign setting. I'm ironing out some ideas, writing things down, and it's going pretty well...but...

I have so many ideas for how Deities, divinities, and other celestial offshoots work in my setting, that I'm actually drawing up a flowchart for it all. I'll post an image of it when I'm "done" with it, but basically it goes vaguely like this in roughly descending power level:

-2 Creator gods
-the good creator god's four children (the sisters) and The evil creator gods demonspawn (called the Hunger)
-the aspects of the four sisters as perceived by mortal races
-True dragons (super powered divine demigod dragons created by accident), the Song (basically angels with an elemental twist)
-Immortals, once mortal individuals who have attained a state of godhood by becoming the embodiment of a concept, False Dragons (the vanilla dragons from the MM) who were mortals trying to attain godlike power, and failed in the best possible way)
-off to the side, a chaotic group of angel-like fae beings (picture angels, but with insect, usu butterfly wings), and a couple of extra dimensional entities trying to exert their power

It all makes sense, in my head and on paper within the lore of the setting (kinda), but I'm starting to feel like it's too much, and while I don't want to get rid of anything, I feel like there is a "better way" to organize them so as to not give players headaches.

Edit: Flowchart first draft http://imgur.com/OCgj3ke

Yora
2015-05-05, 06:12 AM
The question is probably what you're trying to achieve with this and how it matters to the players.

GoblinGilmartin
2015-05-05, 06:16 AM
The question is probably what you're trying to achieve with this and how it matters to the players.

for the most part. I just feel like I've put too many things together, and would it matter to the players? There'd be a lot more stuff, things, and hopefully excitement, but would it feel too crowded? Yes, It'll make for a fun game, but I'm also focused on making a coherent setting.

Yora
2015-05-05, 11:19 AM
An important part of coherence is to define the premise of the world. What are its themes and what are the kinds of stories the PCs will get involved in.
In a game in which the players fight alongside and against the gods for control of the cosmos, pinning down the nature of divinity can be very important. In a world in which the gods have no direct presence, such information is useless. It's not even really information, because it doesn't tell us anything, it's just data. Which even can be distracting.
There are even settings where priests play a very big role but the gods don't reveal themselves to almost all mortals. Such setting actually become greatly improved by not providing a true answer and instead it comes down to what people believe to be true about the gods and what their faith in those believes means for their lives. If the truth is written down somewhere,it actually harms the setting.

Sam113097
2015-05-13, 11:22 AM
An important thing to consider when creating a pantheon is whether or not your players will care about it. If the campaign is based around the gods, or your players love to find more about the world and uncover ancient lore, then go ahead and make an intricate pantheon with multiple levels and dozens of deities. However, it is important to remember that the players may interpret what you are telling them differently than you intended. They may become confused by an overload of information, or simply forget about the complicated pantheon.

QED - Iltazyara
2015-05-14, 10:15 AM
I think you're dealing with the wrong subject matter if you want coherence. I find, for the gods to make sense, you have to humanise them to some extent. And typically that just reduces their godliness in the long term.
Trying to make it understandable why the gods have the relationships they do, is somewhat futile (and best left up to interpretation) but not pointless. And going into detail on it certainly has purpose!

The flowchart is a good idea; helps you align relationships easily, who would work with who, what temple will be raided by a cult of which god, whose religious orders are closely connected to each other.
For me, the wardens of death (who serve a god who would rather everyone was dead, and stopped making a mess) are close allies to the disciples of life, (whose goddess is often referred to as the "nymph queen"). THey have completely opposing purposes, in the long run, yet they work together a lot. Why?

Even though their portfolios, domains and goals seem opposed, the goddess of life is the mother of the god of death. And for clarity's sake, they both want the world to stick around, and they both have their own ways of making sure it does.

Without doing what I did over a year ago, drawing out a chart of parentage, friendships and rivalries between the gods, I wouldn't have a number of interesting plot hooks and connections that I do now.
Even if a lot of the stuff you work on about deities doesn't go to the players, it's a lot easier to set up other, more interactive things, if you have a framework which everything is based on.
The player's don't need to know why their cleric's home temple was raided by clerics of two other deities; they just need to track them down and get back what was stolen.

And the final point is, even if you never find a use for it, if you enjoy working on the background long-winded exposition work, why stop? World building is as much for the GM as the players, just learn to summarise and everything will be good.