PDA

View Full Version : Blood of the Dragon III

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Diachronos
2015-05-05, 03:42 AM
Their preparations complete, Vaex and Stark return to the tomb entrance with their companions to await the inevitable attack.

For a long time, there's nothing but silence coming from the tunnels. After nearly an hour of waiting, though, the distinctive roar of the dragonfire trap going off can be heard, as well as the faint moans and rattling of undead coming from that direction. "Sounds like they're finally here. Are you all going to stay down here, or see about securing the palace itself?"

Before anyone can answer Wendy, a muffled roar can be heard, and the ground shakes as if something just struck the earth, with bits of stone and dust falling from the ceiling. Shouts can be heard up the stairs behind them, as well as Gathard's voice calling the city guard to arms.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-05, 09:47 AM
Stark doesn't hesitate. "Ash, you're up!"

The two souls fuse and Ash grits his teeth. "I smell bait. Leaving this place unguarded is a terrible idea. The Sunveil must be defended at all costs. Taalia, Vaex, Nyktox. I entrust this task to you. Tiana, come with me. We're going to deal with whatever is upstairs ourselves."

Prehysterical
2015-05-05, 12:45 PM
The coolest thing about a dragonfire trap is how it goes off every 1d4 rounds, just like a real dragon. :smallcool:

Vaex makes sure that his crossbow is loaded before pulling the oil of grease out of his backpack. "Sensible idea. Try not to set the whole castle on fire."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-05, 12:53 PM
Ash grins. "Hmm, now there's an idea. I wouldn't mind seeing what kind of punishment Serana would give me for that." He gives Vaex a thumbs up as he heads up the stairs.

Diachronos
2015-05-05, 01:26 PM
Tiana heads upstairs with Ash, her hands flexing as she readies for combat. Lux follows after them, and when the trio reaches the top of the stairs they find a chaotic fight breaking out. Some of the soldiers have turned on their comrades, and Gathard is fighting off a pair of flesh golems at the palace entrance while shouting for the others to get a hold of themselves.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taalia and Nyktox ready themselves, and before long a horde of undead begins to shamble up right tunnel toward them.

Prehysterical
2015-05-05, 01:41 PM
As the undead begin to turn the corner, Vaex throws the grease bottle at the floor on front of their feet before readying his crossbow.
Rules are as per the Grease spell, 1st level
Since Vaex's Dex is so high, I'm not even going to bother rolling.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-05, 02:21 PM
Ash quickly tosses a bolt of fire at the strongest looking undead guard, before calling to Gathard. "The cavalry has arrived! (Abyssal) Tiana, help him deal with those golems! (Common) Lux, let's put these souls to rest!"

Scorching ray: [roll0] versus touch. In theory the undead should be flat-footed as well seeing as Ash just came up the stairs.
Damage: [roll1]

Diachronos
2015-05-05, 06:42 PM
The vial shatters against the floor, and its contents quickly spread to cover the tunnel floor in slippery oil. The undead slip almost as soon as they set foot on the puddle, quickly forming a pileup that slows their progression.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tiana runs to help Gathard with the golems, while Lux readies herself to start channeling healing energy into the soldiers that have turned on their comrades.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-05, 06:48 PM
Ash raises his staff. "Stand aside, warriors of the Nightveil. You can leave these creatures to your new archmage."

Once the soldiers get out of the way, Ash bathes the entire hall in black fire, catching the entire crowd of undead.

Casting fireball from my staff. Enemies need to make a DC 23 Reflex save or take [roll0] damage.

Diachronos
2015-05-05, 06:54 PM
Some of the undead drop from the spell, but a few others are still standing and turn their attention to Stark. They begin moving toward him, which leads Lux to step between Stark and the soldiers; the ones that aren't being controlled move in front of her, forming a wall of swords and shields.

Gathard glances over his shoulder at the melee. "I trained you lot better than this! Are you going to let the Initiates control you?!"

Prehysterical
2015-05-05, 06:57 PM
"Nyktox! Forseti! Open up with the flames!" Vaex runs forward, his blood surging, and almost gags in surprise when he breathes a cone of acid over the sprawling undead.
15 foot cone, [roll0] acid damage
DC 16 Reflex save to take half damage

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-05, 07:03 PM
Ash pushes Lux out of the way. "Stand aside. Someone frail like you does not belong on the battlefield. And as for you lot," he says to the guards, pointing his staff directly at them as it charges up, "I'm pretty sure I told you to get out of my way."

Once the group has dispersed, Ash fires a blast of black flames from his fingertips.

"Hey! Don't you think we're using too much of that power? It's dangerous!"

"There's no time. We need to take care of this lot so we can go downstairs."

Casting black burning hands [roll0]

Diachronos
2015-05-05, 11:08 PM
Nyktox and Forseti join Vaex in blasting the tunnel with their breath, and the passage is quickly filled with acrid smoke as the flames and acid decimate the horde.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lux gives Stark a disapproving look, but she keeps to the side, as do the soldiers. The rogue undead collapse under Stark's spell, but a couple get back up and keep moving toward him.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-05, 11:10 PM
Ash frowns, drawing a bit of fire into his hand and blasting it forward, striking all of the undead and hopefully burning them up.

Flame Arc. Ref Save DC 15 Half.
[roll0] damage

Diachronos
2015-05-05, 11:19 PM
The last of the turncoat soldiers drops, only for Tiana to come skidding across the floor on her back after getting slammed by one of the golems. Lux drops to a knee beside her to heal her wounds, while Gathard severs the arm of the offending golem. "How goes the fight down below, Frostfell?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-05, 11:22 PM
Ash helps Tiana to her feet after Lux heals her. "I'm not sure. We'll be heading down to help them just as soon as we're done here. Now then, let's see how these golems like it when we're the ones teaming up on them!"

Know (Arcana) on flesh golems: [roll0]
Do they have any weaknesses/resistances? Are they immune to magic?

Diachronos
2015-05-05, 11:28 PM
Stark can tell that it's a construct, but not what specific abilities these golems have. He does recall that some constructs have immunity to most magic, but he's not sure if these ones do.

Gathard shakes his head. "I have this under control. If you could check the courtyard behind the throne-" The golem slams Gathard into a wall, but he retaliates with a fierce strike that splits the golem's head in two. "I'd appreciate it. If you can, grab one of the clerics from the chapel, we need someone who can counteract the channeling that's turning the guards against one another."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-05, 11:30 PM
Ash nods. "Lux, please go and find a cleric to help these men. Tiana and I will investigate the courtyard." He leads the demon girl away by her hand, heading to the throne room and the courtyard beyond.

Diachronos
2015-05-05, 11:33 PM
Lux nods and runs to find a cleric, while Stark and Tiana head to the courtyard.

The area appears to be secure, but the guards gathered there are visibly on edge and looking nervously at every entrance, a couple even pointing their weapons at the two of them before lowering them with a stammered apology.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-05, 11:34 PM
Ash crosses his arms. "Calm down men. Now, give me a report. Tell me what you've seen since Serana left the palace, and why you're so upset right now."

Diachronos
2015-05-05, 11:44 PM
"Th-the Corpse King's leading an attack on the city, why wouldn't we be nervous?!"

One of the soldiers, a more experienced-looking woman, smacks the recruit on the back of the head. "There's nothing to report, Sir. No signs of invasion other than the front entrance, and General Gathard and his men have seen to it that none of the invaders made it this far."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-05, 11:46 PM
Ash raises an eyebrow. "What's your name, soldier?" he asks the woman.

Diachronos
2015-05-06, 11:42 AM
She salutes Ash. "Private First Class Cassandra Oran, Sir."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-06, 12:23 PM
Ash raises an eyebrow. "Still a private, hm? I think you've got some leadership skills. Make it through this alive, and I'll talk to General Gathard personally about making you a sergeant."

He crosses his arms. "Now listen up, everyone. If you are undead, you are in danger. The Initiates have successfully taken control of the undead in General Gathard's own unit. If you are undead, you are a risk to yourself, to your fellow officers, and to your country. I want all undead personnel to return to the barracks and have an officer lock you in a cell. If you have objections, get over them." He narrows his eyes, daring anyone to say something to him.

"Private Oran, my associate and I are going to investigate the courtyard personally. Please keep watch and alert us if there is any danger."

He walks past her with Tiana and heads into the courtyard itself, looking around for any signs of trouble or intrusion.

Diachronos
2015-05-06, 11:24 PM
Cassandra shakes her head. "No need for that, sir. The undead troops are all veterans and either at the walls or with the General, we're just the newer recruits." She steps aside to let Stark and Tiana into the courtyard.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-06, 11:28 PM
Ash freezes up. His eyes return to their normal color and Stark grimaces. "'At the walls'? ...Oh crap. The people..."

He looks at Cassandra. "Have you heard anything from the walls since the attack started? Any response at all? If the undead in Gathard's command fell under the influence, the veterans at the walls may have as well. Any scouts report in?"

Diachronos
2015-05-06, 11:32 PM
She shakes her head. "No, the only contact we've had was before the attack began."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-06, 11:35 PM
Stark groans. This was more than likely way worse than he originally thought. "Alright I need a volunteer to go out and scout the walls and see if there's anything strange going on. If you encounter hostiles do not engage, just return immediately back here and inform me or the general directly. If there's a problem, one of us will handle it ourselves. Please."

Prehysterical
2015-05-07, 09:03 AM
Vaex gags and spits to remove the acidic residue from his mouth. Well, wasn't expecting that. Falling back and readying his crossbow, Vaex asks Wendy, "You got any alchemist's fire to set the oil ablaze and buy us a little more time?"

Diachronos
2015-05-07, 10:03 AM
One of the soldiers nods and darts for the front of the palace. Cassandra looks at Stark. "Sir, do you know how the fight is going in the tombs?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wendy nods and pulls out a flask of alchemist's fire, tossing it into the oil slick. After a moment, she looks down the left tunnel, where Gwynn had been setting up the razor wire trap. "She should have been back by now..."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-07, 10:06 AM
Stark grins. "We set up a bunch of traps and I left three of my best people in charge of security. I don't need to go down there to know the fight is completely one-sided. Now then, Tiana. We have a job to do."

He heads out into the courtyard to check for any signs of intrusion or damage.

Diachronos
2015-05-07, 01:30 PM
Stark and Tiana find that the courtyard has been heavily fortified, though nobody is present amidst the fortifications; it appears that this is set up for the defenders to fall back to if anyone breaks through into the castle.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-07, 01:32 PM
Stark nods. "Nothing out of the ordinary here. Back to help Gathard then!"

He runs back to the hallway where Gathard is fighting the golems.

Prehysterical
2015-05-07, 04:58 PM
"By Dahak's unholy breath," Vaex swears. "You all hold down this area here. I'll go see what the situation is." Vaex scuttles to the left tunnel, eyes peeled for trouble.
[roll0]

Diachronos
2015-05-08, 01:30 PM
Stark and Tiana return to the entrance hall, where they find Gathard standing over the two now-dismembered golems and Lux tending to the injuries of the soldiers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It doesn't take long for Vaex to find Gwyn. She's backed against the wall, one hand wielding a shortsword while the other crackles with electricity. The razor wire lies on the tunnel floor, one end stuck into the wall and the other lying a few feet from the drow's position.

She glances over as Vaex approaches, before lashing out and stabbing a zombie through the throat. "They showed up sooner than I was expecting, I didn't get a chance to finish putting the wire up."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-08, 01:35 PM
Stark frowns. "General, you can expect a report from one of your privates soon. I asked him to go scout the walls and make sure the Initiates haven't interrupted the ranks there as well. Lux, come on. We need to get back downstairs and back Vaex up."

He leads the girls downstairs to meet up with the rest of the party.

Prehysterical
2015-05-08, 02:53 PM
Shouldering the crossbow's sling over his shoulder, Vaex picks up the loose end of the razor wire carefully. "Can you hold them off for a few more seconds? I can get the wire up and then you can cross over. The wire will slow them down."

Diachronos
2015-05-08, 03:31 PM
Gathard turns to Stark. "I sent him on my mount, so he should be arriving before too long. I trust that the courtyard is secure?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gwyn nods after a moment and moves in toward the horde, clearing her way with a bolt of lightning that arcs into the crowd of undead. "I hope you can work fast, Vaex. My spells are running out faster than our attackers' horde is."

Prehysterical
2015-05-08, 03:44 PM
Instead of wasting breath on a reply, Vaex gets to work on arming the trap.
[roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-08, 03:57 PM
Stark nods. "I didn't see a single thing out of place, General."

Diachronos
2015-05-08, 04:24 PM
Vaex easily wedges the peg into place, and Gwyn dives underneath it as soon as the kobold signals that it's ready. She and Vaex retreat a few yards from the wire, and as they look back they can already see the hordes being literally cut down as they walk into the wire. A few torsos continue to drag themselves toward the two of them after falling to the floor, but at a much slower pace than they'd been walking at.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gathard nods. "Good. I think they've stemmed the flow of invaders at the gates, but I'm going to hold position here until Her Majesty orders otherwise. Go reinforce your companions in the tombs, we need to make sure they haven't gotten through the wards that keep the dead from being animated."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-08, 04:25 PM
Stark nods and heads downstairs with Lux and Tiana to find Vaex.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-09, 02:45 PM
Stark approaches Vaex underground and frowns. "Things aren't going so well topside. How are you doing down here?"

Diachronos
2015-05-09, 03:10 PM
"We're holding them. And apparently Vaex can spit acid now."

Prehysterical
2015-05-09, 03:42 PM
"Never mind that. See that pile of helpless undead over there? They need a funeral pyre."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-09, 03:47 PM
Stark looks annoyed. "I have studied all my life to master the delicate and intense art of bending the Weave to my will, I would appreciate it if you would refrain from using me as an oversized matchbox."

Despite his protests, Stark walks over to the group of undead, says a short prayer to the Keeper, and ignites their corpses.

Diachronos
2015-05-09, 03:58 PM
With everyone grouped up again, Taalia sits down on the stairs. "Stark, how bad are things up there? Did they break through to the castle?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-09, 04:02 PM
The archmage rubs the back of his head. "Just a few stragglers. Nothing the general can't handle. The real problem is that they're turning the undead on us. Undead guards are obeying the Initiates rather than their own will. ...Taalia, stay close to me." He gives the dhampir a worried look.

Prehysterical
2015-05-10, 03:06 PM
"This magic... Is the Corpse King responsible? Or are there lesser spellcasters that we can target to eliminate the effect?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-10, 03:12 PM
Stark shakes his head. "It's not magic, it's an ability that clerics of dark gods have, allowing them to use their control over the Plane of Negative Energy to pull at the strings that keep undead alive, and jerk them around like marionettes. Kill the clerics, solve the problem, but I can't find them anywhere."

Diachronos
2015-05-10, 08:46 PM
Wendy thinks for a moment. "The ability they're using doesn't have a very wide range, so they'd have to be relatively close to the undead to get control over them. The control lasts outside of that range once they're under control, but until they get that control they'd have to be within about 30 feet."

"They'd probably want to keep an eye on their minions as well to direct them if needed, so they might not have gone too far."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-10, 08:47 PM
Stark scratches his head. "I'm sorry, I don't believe we've met before. And you are?" he asks politely.

Diachronos
2015-05-10, 08:54 PM
Wendy gives him a nervous smile. "I'm Wendy, one of the head engineers in Nightveil. The other drow is my sister, Gwyn."

Prehysterical
2015-05-10, 09:12 PM
Vaex hesitates for a second before proposing, "They might not have seen me yet. I could sneak around and see if anyone is acting suspicious. I can be pretty hard to notice when I want to be."

Diachronos
2015-05-10, 09:18 PM
Nyktox nods. "What about when you find them, though? Are you going to try taking them on your own, or should one of us stay close to help out?

Prehysterical
2015-05-10, 09:33 PM
"I'd like to say that I can take them out on my own, but I think Pyretown proved that that was a lie. Forseti can come along with me. He's still small enough to hide well and he can fly back quickly if I feel like I need assistance. If they see Stark, Tiana, or Taalia up there, they will get suspicious and keep a low profile."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-10, 09:34 PM
Stark frowns. "A dangerous plan, but we don't have many other options. Go ahead, Vaex. But run at the first sign of trouble."

Prehysterical
2015-05-10, 09:41 PM
Vaex scuttles off without another word, heading for the courtyard. He sticks to the shadows as much as possible. Looking back to his young ward, he holds a claw up to his snout to warn him to silence.
Perception: [roll0]
Stealth: [roll1]

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-10, 09:43 PM
Stark turns to the two drow girls. "Right. With Vaex heading out, I will be taking over security for these tombs. I am Archmage Stark Frostfell. A pleasure to meet the both of you, and were we under less dire circumstances I'd happily engage in polite small talk. For now, show me where the enemy has broken through. They're about to suffer like no other." He raises his staff, his eyes glowing dangerously.

Diachronos
2015-05-11, 07:37 PM
Gwyn remains at the stairs while Wendy leads Stark toward the right-most tunnel. "Vaex and the other dragonkin cleared the first wave, but more are sure to come from this direction."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vaex and Forseti head through the palace, though they only find guards scrambling to their positions along the way.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-11, 07:47 PM
Stark looks down the hall and calls Tiana over to him. The two of them begin searching down the tunnel for any signs of where the enemy broke in from.

Prehysterical
2015-05-11, 08:12 PM
Vaex begins to become frustrated at their inability to find the perpetrators. "My young pupil, you've seen this castle from the air. If you wanted to watch everything, where would you go?"

Diachronos
2015-05-11, 08:27 PM
Stark and Tiana move on ahead of Wendy, and eventually come to a larger hall filled with stone coffins. A handful of skeletons and zombies are milling around, but don't pay much mind to them... or to the small group crowded around one of the coffins at the opposite end of the hall.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forseti thinks for a moment. "Um... Probably the south tower. It has a really nice view over the city!"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-11, 08:48 PM
Stark walks over to the coffin and examines it, as well as the individuals standing around it.

Prehysterical
2015-05-11, 08:53 PM
Vaex makes his way to the tower, letting Forseti guide him.
If needed, I can roll Stealth check in the OOC thread.

Diachronos
2015-05-11, 09:48 PM
As Stark and Tiana approach, one of the figures bolts upright and turns to them. "Who are you? What are you doing down here? This area is off-limits!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vaex and Forseti make it up to the southern tower, where a balcony overlooks the city. Signs of fighting can be seen at the three gates, but the soldiers appear to be keeping most of the fighting from spilling into the city proper.

Prehysterical
2015-05-11, 09:51 PM
Once again trying to make himself inconspicuous, Vaex scans the area for signs of unusual activity.
Sense Motive: [roll1]
Stealth: [roll2] (keep forgetting about size modifiers)

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-11, 10:40 PM
Stark raises his staff and gives the man a cold look. "In this entire castle, the only place that's off limits to me is Serana's bedchamber. I am Stark Frostfell, Archmage of the Night Veil. I stand on Her Majesty's War Council. I am charged with the defense of the Sunveil and this tomb. You will show me respect."

Intimidate: [roll0]

Diachronos
2015-05-12, 08:41 PM
Vaex spots a congregation in one of the city squares down below. While it's too far away for him to make out what's being said, one of the handful of people standing on a raised platform appears to be trying to rile the rest of them up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The group looks at each other... and they start laughing. "Stark Frostfell? You mean that upstart lapdog of the Circle? You expect us to believe you're on the same level as Rhaegos?"

One of them turns to look at Tiana as she walks toward them. "And what's your deal, hellspawn? Are you the 'Archmage's' pet or some-" His words cut off as Tiana punches him square in the face.

(Abyssal) "They're breaking open the tombs." She points at the feet of one of the men; sure enough, there are a bunch of chisels and hammers, as well as dust and bits of stone from the coffin they're standing around.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-12, 08:44 PM
Stark chuckles. "(Abyssal) Alright. Well. I'm going to kill them without any other questions...don't tell Taalia about this."

He raises his staff and the serpent's mouth opens. "I would say something like 'doubt me again, at the cost of your life', but your lives are already forfeit."

Using 3 more charges from my staff to cast fireball. [roll0] fire damage to everyone in the AOE (trying to catch them all but avoid Tiana and myself), DC 23 Ref Save Half.

Initiative, if it becomes necessary: [roll1]

Prehysterical
2015-05-12, 10:22 PM
Making a rant in the middle of an invasion would be disruptive, Corpse king cultist or no. Spreading his wings, Vaex glides down to a nearby rooftop with Forseti following.

Diachronos
2015-05-13, 03:43 AM
Tiana evades Stark's fireball, while the cultists are nearly knocked over by the blast. One of them rips off his cloak to reveal a set of platemail, and he draws his sword as he moves in to attack Stark. Another draws a crossbow and fires at Stark.

Tiana steps up and launches a pair of vicious blows upon the group, focusing on the third cultist and the one with the crossbow.

Cultist 3 moves to attack Stark with his bastard sword!
Attack/Confirm: [roll0]/[roll1]
Damage/Crit: [roll2]/[roll3]

Cultist 2 fires his crossbow at Stark!
Attack/Confirm: [roll4]/[roll5]
Damage/Crit: [roll6]/[roll7]
Also, if the attack hits, Stark needs to make a DC 12 Fortitude save or take 1 Con damage and 1 Wis damage.

Tiana's Fury of Bros!
Attack 1, against Cultist 1:
Attack/Confirm: [roll8]/[roll9]
Damage/Crit: [roll10]/[roll11]
Attack 2, against Cultist 2:
Attack/Confirm: [roll12]/[roll13]
Damage/Crit: [roll14]/[roll15]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vaex and Forseti arrive at the square to find a small group preaching to the gathered citizens, talking about how dark times are upon them and that their only hope for salvation is to rebel against the queen. The crowd appears unsure, as if they're not certain if they should believe him or go find a guard to lock him up for trying to incite rebellion.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-13, 11:09 AM
Stark's insides are essentially carved out as he staggers back and disappears from sight.

Got no choice here. Gotta cast invisibility and go get Lux, Taalia and Nyktox from the entrance. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Prehysterical
2015-05-13, 12:25 PM
Vaex glides down to the street level, holding a hand out to warn Forseti to stay back. Mingling in with the crowd, Vaex pipes up, "So, let me get this straight: your response to a crisis is to demand that people overthrow the Queen? What then? I suppose the Corpse King just comes knocking at the gate and everyone's all friends?" The kobold really wants to just a bolt in the man and be done with it, but that might send the wrong message to the crowd.
Sense Motive: [roll1]
Diplomacy (more for the crowd than the dissenters): [roll2]

Diachronos
2015-05-13, 06:21 PM
(Abyssal) "Stark! Stark, where did you go?!" Despite the panic in her voice, she turns to finish off the two cultists she'd been attacking. The remaining man swings wildly into the space where Stark had been standing, only to curse when his sword finds no target.

Tiana:
Flurry hit #1 (against cultist 1): [roll0]/[roll1]
Flurry damage: [roll2]/[roll3]

Flurry hit #2 (against cultist 2): [roll4]/[roll5]
Flurry damage: [roll6]/[roll7]

The one cultist manages to stagger away from her before being struck, and presses a hand to his side to mend his wounds.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vaex's words don't seem to sway the crowd at all, and the dissenter simply laughs before speaking again. "Who will you trust, good people of Nightveil? This foreigner, who no doubt holds nothing but scorn for our way of life, or one of your own?"

Prehysterical
2015-05-13, 06:27 PM
Crest up in indignation, Vaex flaps his wings to stand on the edge of the stage. He points to the gates and shouts, "Your Queen is out there, fighting an undead that even the Gravekeeper won't claim, and all you can think to do is whisper behind her back? I may be a foreigner, but I seem to be more loyal to Queen Serana and the Tundra than you are!"
[roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-13, 06:48 PM
Stark sighs, unable to abandon the girl even at the cost of his own life. He appears behind the knight. "(Abyssal) I'm here Tiana! Just trying to catch him off-guard!"

He points his finger and a bolt of fire flies out and slams into the knight's back.

Casting scorching ray. The knight is denied his Dexterity bonus to AC against the attack.
Ranged touch: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-13, 09:39 PM
Stark looks the knight in the eye as the man turns to face him. In fear for his life, and to save Tiana, his power bursts out of control!

"The Weave is mine to command! You doubt that I'm on the same level of Rhaegos? So what? You are but a child before my arcane power! And it's time someone put you in time out! But first, let me take away your shiny little toy there!" He snaps his fingers and the katana in the knight's hand explodes.

Casting shatter here. One non-magical object of up to 60 pounds explodes with no saving throw. Based on his to-hit and damage, I'm guessing you statted this guy up with a magic sword, but I will point out that as the shatter spell is intended to help against powerful warriors at this level, perhaps you over equipped him.

Diachronos
2015-05-13, 09:52 PM
The knight starts to move in, but jumps with a frightened shout as his sword practically explodes in his hand. Tiana takes the moment of confusion to finish off the remaining caster.

Actually, it's just a masterwork bastard sword. The guy just has really good stats.

Flurry of Blows 1:
Attack/Confirm: [roll0]/[roll1]
Damage/Crit: [roll2]/[roll3]

Flurry of Blows 2:
Attack/Confirm: [roll4]/[roll5]
Damage/Crit: [roll6]/[roll7]

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-13, 09:57 PM
Stark fires another bolt of flame to his chest.

Ranged touch [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Diachronos
2015-05-13, 10:06 PM
The man turns and begins to run as fast as his legs can carry him... but he finds himself face-to-face with Tiana. The tiefling cracks her knuckles and aims a punch square at the man's face.

Swift action to trigger Strength Blessing, gaining a +2 to melee attacks.

Attacking using Flurry of Blows and Pummeling Style, so all successful attacks are added into a single hit.
Attack 1: [roll0]/[roll1]
Damage: [roll2]/[roll3]

Attack 2: [roll4]/[roll5]
Damage: [roll6]/[roll7]

Alas, her attack glances off his armor...

Diachronos
2015-05-13, 10:09 PM
The dissenter looks nervous as the crowd begins to rather loudly agree with Vaex. One of them even steps forward and shouts that the queen had given his family shelter in the castle when their farmhouse was burned down in a bandit raid.

The man glares at Vaex. "What are you trying to do here, you little lizard? Are you trying to trick these people into living as blind servants to that undead harlot?!"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-13, 10:33 PM
Stark grins and blows a blast of fire across the enemy soldier.

Okay. If I can't roll well then I'll hope he rolls poorly. Burning hands, [roll0] Ref DC 21 Half

Diachronos
2015-05-13, 10:39 PM
Reflex save: [roll0]

The man howls in pain and throws up his hands. "I-I surrender!"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-13, 10:44 PM
"Surrender? Hah! Kill him, Stark."

Stark steps forward, one hand coating itself in black fire. But he shakes his head and frowns. "Tell me who you are," he says, extinguishing his hand and grabbing the knight by the collar.

Diachronos
2015-05-13, 11:13 PM
The man whimpers and glances over at the two surely-dead cultists. "I-I'm just in this for the money, I don't know what they're trying to do!"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-13, 11:17 PM
Stark grimaces. "A sellsword? Hmm...guess I can't fault you then. Sorry, but there is still punishment for sellswords on the wrong side of a war. You'll be dealt with appropriately after the whole mess is over. Were there any others down here in this tomb?"

Prehysterical
2015-05-14, 03:47 PM
The dissenter looks nervous as the crowd begins to rather loudly agree with Vaex. One of them even steps forward and shouts that the queen had given his family shelter in the castle when their farmhouse was burned down in a bandit raid.

The man glares at Vaex. "What are you trying to do here, you little lizard? Are you trying to trick these people into living as blind servants to that undead harlot?!"

A smug smirk comes over the kobold's snout. "'Harlot'? Why, that doesn't sound very patriotic at all." Vaex mockingly taps a claw to his chin. "I wonder... How much of this uprising you speak of is for the people, and how much is for some personal agenda of yours?"
Don't know what exactly applies here, so let the good dice roll!
Bluff: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]
Intimidate: [roll2]

Diachronos
2015-05-14, 07:22 PM
"I-I don't know, this was the group I got assigned to and I didn't see anybody else come in before or after us." He glances over at Tiana, who is rather unceremoniously finishing off the two unconscious men.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The man's face reddens, and he motions to the two cloaked figures with him. "You're too smart for your own good, you little newt. You should've stayed out of this." The cloaked figures throw off their robes, revealing armored skeletons with ethereal blue flames filling their eye sockets.

Prehysterical
2015-05-14, 07:32 PM
Vaex throws a scaly palm to his brow and sarcastically replies, "Oh no, whatever shall I do?" Flapping his wings, Vaex pauses for a split-second to shout "Roast them!" to Forseti before making for a nearby rooftop.

Diachronos
2015-05-14, 07:39 PM
Forseti grins and opens his mouth, unleashing a jet of fire at the dissenter and his skeletons before turning to join Vaex.

Reflex saves for the fire breath:
Skeletal Champion 1: [roll0]
Skeletal Champion 2: [roll1]
Dissenter: [roll2]

Damage is [roll3], 1/2 on a DC 15 Reflex save (if the Dissenter passes, he takes none)
Forseti can't use his fire breath for [roll4] rounds

Forseti: [roll5]
Skeletal Champion 1: [roll6]
Skeletal Champion 2: [roll7]
Dissenter: [roll8]

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-14, 07:41 PM
Stark sighs and nods, taking the knight unceremoniously by the arm and leading him upstairs to General Gathard. Once he gets up there, he hands the knight off. "Got a man who needs questioning. Apparently he's a sellsword. He was trying to break open the tomb with a couple of his mates. How have things been going up here?"

Diachronos
2015-05-14, 08:12 PM
Forseti flies off to join Vaex, now out of the skeletons' reach. The dissenter curses, before giving Vaex a sickening grin. "Alright, then. You don't want to fight, let's see out the locals do!" The skeletons jump down off the platform and begin to stalk toward the crowd.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gathard's glare can practically be felt as he looks at the sellsword. "He'll be dealt with appropriately. There were a few more flesh golems that broke through, which is leading me to believe that there are cultists hiding out in the city to attack from behind the squads holding the gates."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-14, 08:20 PM
Stark nods. "Vaex should be dealing with any threats either in the city or along the walls. I will go directly to the Sunveil now and make sure there aren't any unforeseen threats. Keep up the good work, General."

He heads back downstairs and asks Wendy to take him directly to the Sunveil. The best way to defend it is to be right next to it after all.

Prehysterical
2015-05-14, 08:56 PM
Swearing viciously in Draconic, Vaex shouts, "Everyone run!" He fires at the dissenter with his crossbow.
Expending one use of Mythic power to make the dissenter flat-footed, regardless of evasion or awareness. Which means SNEAK ATTACK!!!
+1 attack from Suprise Strike, bypasses DR
+1 attack from higher elevation
A: [roll0]
D: [roll1]
C: [roll2]
CD: [roll3]
SA: [roll4]

Diachronos
2015-05-14, 09:40 PM
Wendy shrugs. "The Queen and her Council are the only ones who know how to get into the room containing the Sunveil."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The dissenter growls and clutches at the bolt before jumping off the platform and fleeing into the alleys. The skeletons continue to advance toward the fleeing crowd.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-14, 09:54 PM
Stark frowns and heads upstairs again. "General, could you tell me how to get into the chamber where the Sunveil is held? I'll be very careful it doesn't get damaged, but I have a nagging feeling that if someone isn't directly watching it something terrible might happen right under our noses."

Diachronos
2015-05-15, 10:39 AM
Gathard looks over at Stark. "I can take you as far as the entrance, but the chamber of the Sunveil itself can only be opened her the Queen or the full Council is present. Even if I wanted to allow defenders inside, there is no way to get inside without them being here."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-15, 10:47 AM
Stark nods politely. "Just the entrance then. I'll guard it with my life."

Prehysterical
2015-05-15, 01:28 PM
Uttering his own growl, Vaex makes the difficult choice of protecting the crowd over pursuing the instigator. Dropping his crossbow, Vaex glides down to the ground and draws his rapier. He places himself between the undead and the people to buy them time to escape. What a stupidly heroic thing to do...

Diachronos
2015-05-15, 05:42 PM
Gathard motions for the remaining soldiers to form up at the castle entrance and starts leading Stark in the direction of the Sunveil's power source. "Do you intend to defend it alone, or would you prefer to bring your friends with you?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forseti lands next to Vaex, growling menacingly at the skeletons.

A loud bang sounds from the alley that the dissenter had fled into, and a few moments later Khamer Duskmantle emerges from the alley, carrying the man by the collar and looking like he'd just been in a fistfight with a dragon.

The skeletons' swords crackle with lightning as they move in to attack Vaex and Forseti!

Skelly 1 is attacking Vaex, Skelly 2 is attacking Forseti.
Skelly 1 attack: [roll0]/[roll1]
Skelly 1 damage: [roll2]/[roll3] plus [roll4] electricity

Skelly 2 attack: [roll5]/[roll6]
Skelly 2 damage: [roll7]/[roll8] plus [roll9] electricity

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-15, 06:19 PM
Stark shakes his head. "This task is too important for pride to get in the way, General. Lux, Tiana, and Nyktox will all accompany me, and if you don't mind, I would hope you could have someone lead Vaex and Forseti here when they return."

Diachronos
2015-05-15, 06:24 PM
"What about Princess Taalia? Will you have her at your side as well?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-15, 06:29 PM
Stark shakes his head. "I'm sorry to ask, General, but could I leave the task of guarding the princess up to you? With Her Majesty fighting off such a terrible beast, and the presence of golems in the castle, I think the strongest warrior should be making sure she stays safe. ...Not because I want to, but because I owe that much to Serana."

Prehysterical
2015-05-15, 06:33 PM
The sight of the blade slamming into Forseti's scales overrides all sense and strategy in Vaex's mind. He slashes at the skeleton with his rapier, roaring with a much deeper voice than usual.
Well, this is going to suck.
A: [roll0]
D: [roll1]
C: [roll2]
CD: [roll3]

Diachronos
2015-05-15, 08:51 PM
"Normally I would agree with you, but I need to be near the front lines where I can direct my men if the need arises. Defending Princess Taalia myself would put her in greater danger than she would be with you."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vaex's rapier glances off of the skeleton's bones as he attacks. Forseti retaliates at the one that had struck him, before the two skeletons attack the pair again.

Forseti's attacks:
Bite: [roll0]/[roll1]
Damage: [roll2]/[roll3]
Claw 1: [roll4]/[roll5]
Damage: [roll6]/[roll7]
Bite: [roll8]/[roll9]
Damage: [roll10]/[roll11]

Skelly 1 (Vaex)
Attack: [roll12]/[roll13]
Damage: [roll14]/[roll15] plus [roll16] electricity

Skelly 2 (Forseti)
Attack: [roll17]/[roll18]
Damage: [roll19]/[roll20] plus [roll21] electricity
Should probably clarify, the electricity damage is dealt on any successful hit

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-15, 09:06 PM
Stark looks down hesitantly. "But, I'm...." His voice trails off. What were the words that died in his throat? Not strong enough? Inexperienced? Too weak?

This wasn't the time to run out of steam. He was a hero, after all. Stark slaps his cheeks with both hands to pump himself up. "I understand, General. Neither the Sunveil nor Her Majesty will come to harm while they are in my care. By your leave." He salutes the man and goes with his escort and the rest of the party to the entrance of the Sunveil room.

Prehysterical
2015-05-15, 09:23 PM
Vaex is easily able to avoid the skeleton's attacks, but his concern for Forseti quickly grows. "Forseti, fly away and get help! I'll keep them busy!"
Rolling Aid Another to give Forseti +2 AC while he withdraws
Attack (DC 10): [roll0]

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 12:21 PM
Gathard nods, and after gathering everyone up leads them to a set of heavy metal doors in the tombs. "We should be able to keep the invaders at bay for the most part, but some may still slip through. I doubt anything that makes it this far will be much of a challenge to you all, though, especially after what it would have to go through to get here."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forseti retreats from the fight, stopping just long enough to send another blast of flame at the skeletons before retreating to the rooftops.

Khamer drops the unconscious dissenter and draws a rapier from his bag, motioning to the remaining citizens. "Everyone, please return to your homes and advise your fellow Tundrans to do the same. The streets are not safe at this time."

The skeletons step in for another attack on Vaex!

Forseti's breath weapon: [roll0], can use again after [roll1] rounds.

Reflex saves, DC 15:
Skelly 1: [roll2]
Skelly 2: [roll3]

Skelly attacks:
Skelly 1 hit: [roll4]/[roll5]
Skelly 1 damage: [roll6]/[roll7]
Skelly 1 electricity damage: [roll8]

Skelly 2 hit: [roll9]/[roll10]
Skelly 2 damage: [roll11]/[roll12]
Skelly 2 electricity damage: [roll13]

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-16, 12:33 PM
Stark leans against the wall, putting pressure on his bleeding shoulder. "(Abyssal) Thank you, Tiana. If I had tried to take those three on by myself, they would have killed me for sure. I'm glad you were with me."

He keeps an eye on the hall, but one of his eyes constantly darts back to Taalia. He has to keep her safe, he has to.

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 12:49 PM
Lux and Taalia press their hands to Stark's wounds, mending the damage that was done to him. Tiana simply nods and glances down each passage of the tunnel.

Taalia looks up at the metal doors they're guarding. "I don't quite understand this... removing the Sunveil would harm the vampire citizens of the country, but my mother is protected from the sun and sunlight would just weaken the Corpse King... Why would they be going after the Sunveil?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-16, 12:56 PM
Stark frowns. "The Corpse King is a god, after all. Maybe He can nullify your mother's protection?"

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 01:10 PM
"I doubt it, the gods are almost never able to undo one another's power and my mother's protection comes from the Gravekeeper Himself."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-16, 01:16 PM
Stark shrugs. "Well, the Sunveil still needs defending. Maybe no one will attack it, but it's too critical to the people of the Nightveil for us to leave it unprotected while we're under attack."

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 01:45 PM
"Agreed." Taalia and Lux loop their arms through his while Nyktox sits down against the door. "Where do you think Vaex disappeared to?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-16, 01:52 PM
Stark frowns up at the demoness. "(Abyssal) Listen, you know that when I used my magic to disappear, it wasn't because I was leaving you behind, right? I was just trying to catch the man off guard. I didn't rescue you just so I could abandon you at the first sign of danger. You're my friend, Tiana."

His eyes open at Nyktox's question. "There's likely some trouble on the wall, or at least in the city, that he's dealing with. I'm sure he'll be back before too long. For all we know, maybe Forseti just saw something shiny and Vaex is trying to reign him in."

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 01:57 PM
Tiana looks back at Stark. (Abyssal) "I know. From how badly you got hurt, it was probably a better idea than standing around in the open."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-16, 02:14 PM
Stark pays close attention to her, worried.

Sense Motive on Tiana: [roll0]

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 02:52 PM
She seems more upset that he got hurt than his sudden disappearance in the fight.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-16, 02:57 PM
Stark sighs, figuring if she wants to talk she'll reach out to him. He lies in wait for any sign of an enemy or Vaex.

Prehysterical
2015-05-16, 03:18 PM
The skeletons, working in mindless conjunction, land twin blows upon Vaex. His leather armor stops the blows from outright putting him down, but the slashed kobold knows that he cannot last much longer. Flapping his wings, Vaex turns and flies back to their original rooftop. He glares daggers down at the undead as he tries to think of how to deal with them.
Using withdraw as a full round action to fly back to the roof without provoking AoO's.

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 03:28 PM
The skeletons move to pursue Vaex, but stop to look down as something rolls on the ground between them. The small, spherical object bursts in a blinding white light, and the blackened bones of the skeletons fall to the ground.

Khamer walks over toward the building Vaex and Forseti gad retreated to. "Glad I still had the one bomb left... are you two alright? Where are the others?"

Prehysterical
2015-05-16, 03:30 PM
Peeping down at Khamer, Vaex shouts, "Forseti's been hit badly! Last I saw Stark and your niece, they were helping to secure the catacombs leading to the Sunveil. Who knows where they could be at this point..."

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 04:42 PM
Khamer nods when he sees the injured pair, and pulls out a couple of potions. "Here's hoping they're still there, I have a message from the Queen. Come down here, I'll get you patched up and we can head back to the castle."

Prehysterical
2015-05-16, 04:54 PM
Flapping down in front of the alchemist, Vaex snatches a potion and feeds it to Forseti. He waits to see if the dragon's wounds are fully healed before taking any for himself.

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 05:36 PM
The potion appears to heal Forseti back up to full health. After Vaex drinks his potion, Khamer begins to lead the two of them back toward Castle Duskmantle. "With how things are turning out, it might be about time to bring out Gustav..."

Prehysterical
2015-05-16, 06:26 PM
As they move along, Vaex avoids the obvious in favor of the even more obvious question. "How did you manage to escape the Corpse King?"

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 07:21 PM
"I... honestly don't know. One moment he's smacking me around like a cat with a wounded mouse, and the next the Queen and her Council are showing up to attack Him. Tharas opened a portal back to the city while Rhaegos was fighting with the dragon, and Her Majesty asked me to get you all out of the city."

Prehysterical
2015-05-16, 08:20 PM
"'Toying with his prey...' That sounds like Martiviraurix all right. But why do we need to get out of the city? Does the Queen need us to start looking for the other chosen one right now? There's still all these damned undead to contend with. No offense."

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 08:23 PM
"That, and..." He trails off, visibly hesitating. "I didn't hear the exchange myself, but Her Majesty seems particularly concerned with getting Taalia out of the city. I fear the Corpse King may be targeting her."

Prehysterical
2015-05-16, 08:33 PM
"But why her, specifically? Isn't Serana the real threat to his power?"

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 08:36 PM
"That's what confuses me. Serana is far more of a threat to him than the Princess is, so I don't know why he'd be bothering with Taalia. Unless..." He stops, and Vaex and Forseti can practically hear the gears turning in his head. "We need to get back to the castle, now."

Prehysterical
2015-05-16, 09:13 PM
Vaex hustles forward with Khamer, asking, "Are you going to tell me what's going on, or are you going to do that stupid warmblood thing where you don't finish your sentences?"

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 10:13 PM
"Something in the prophecy that Lord Nightraven and I found. I desperately hope I'm wrong, but if I'm right, then... Martiviraurix and the Corpse Kings are fragments of the Void."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-16, 11:01 PM
Stark keeps a watchful eye out while he is molested by the two girls vying for his affections. After a good bit of nothing happening, he finally says, "Taalia, you and I should talk for a moment."

He stands up and leads her to the edge of the room, giving her a serious look. "Listen, I can't shake the feeling that something awful is going to happen. I...asked the General if he would look after you, but he said his attentions would be too divided. Still...I'm worried that I won't be strong enough to protect you. Maybe it'd be better if you locked yourself up somewhere safe, like your bedroom or the war room. Somewhere near lots of guards and with a lot of exits for you to make an escape if necessary. And away from the Sunveil and the rest of us, who are likely all targets of the Corpse King's minions."

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 11:05 PM
Taalia frowns and shakes her head. "I'm not going anywhere, Stark. Danger or not, the royalty of the Veiled Tundra aren't like the monarchs of other lands. If there's a threat to our home, we don't sit back and tell others to fight and die for us; we fight on the front line. That's how the Dread Kings and Dread Queens have always ruled, and that's how I intend to get through this."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-16, 11:08 PM
Stark looks at her with pained eyes. "And in doing so, you're putting me through the same worry and concern that you have for your mother right now. We still don't know anything about this Xinia person or what she's capable of. If it comes down to it, I'm prepared to sacrifice my life to cover your retreat, as Khamer was before, but having you in harm's way while Serana's safety is unknown is dangerous."

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 11:15 PM
Taalia puts her arms around Stark in a tight hug. "I know, and I'm sorry. But I can't run and hide from this. Not when everyone I know and care about is out there fighting."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-16, 11:50 PM
Stark gives her a serious look. "I-...that is..." He blushes and turns his head, scratching at his neck awkwardly. "I rely on writing poetry and songs to express my feelings...not just because I want to try and be worthy of a noble woman, but because it's really hard for me to be straightforward about what I'm thinking normally. Right now I'm feeling a lot of emotions...I'm worried about Serana, I'm scared of Martiviraurix, I'm angry at Xinia and I'm feeling worthless. Like I can't protect anyone, even from low level grunts. But the biggest, loudest emotion I'm feeling right now is that...well...after we make it through this I...if you want to, I mean. I think you and I are...but is this really the right time? It might be the only time..."

Diachronos
2015-05-16, 11:55 PM
Taalia puts her finger to Stark's lips. "You're not the only one who doesn't know how to feel. But right now we can't afford to let our emotions control us. When - not if, when - we get through this, we're all going to take the time to sort through all of this and figure out how this mess with you, me, and the other girls is going to play out."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 12:03 AM
He hesitates, then says, "Taalia, I don't feel this scared or worried about losing anyone else. Not even Lux. I just want you to know that. I need you to make it through this."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 12:09 AM
"S-Stark..." Her cheeks redden and she shakes her head. "Y-you're not thinking clearly, you're worried about protecting me like Mother and General Gathard want you to. Lux and the others... you said that you wanted to take some time and make sure you've given everyone a chance..."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 12:23 AM
Stark shakes his head. "No! I...I need to say this. I thought that maybe the other girls deserved a chance to earn my affections, but to be honest...they can't earn what I don't have. I can't deny this. Taalia. I have already given my heart to you." He gets down on one knee before her and takes her hand, kissing it. "I am no prince, certainly. I am not even a knight. But I...I will stay by your side. I promise you that."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 12:46 AM
"Stark..." She doesn't say anything for a moment, but smiles after a bit. "That means a lot to me. I promise, I'm not going to leave you, for any reason."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 12:50 AM
Stark nods and stands up, giving her a kiss and then escorting her back to their stations. After sitting her down he walks up behind Tiana and places a hand gently on her shoulder. "(Abyssal) You know, no one is happy when their friends are upset. You beat those cultists up, no problem. Just because I charged in like an idiot and got a few scratches is no reason to get frustrated with yourself. You don't owe me anything, Tiana, so you should focus on protecting yourself and keeping yourself unharmed. Getting back to that monastery and finding out who you really are should be your priority."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 12:53 AM
(Abyssal) "I'm used to getting hurt. But I don't want to go back to being is... isol... not being able to be part of the group. I can't talk to anyone other than you, and if you die then... I might as well be back in that prison..."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 12:58 AM
Stark blinks. "(Abyssal) I see...I didn't realize you felt that way. Alright, well, how about I work with you and teach you how to speak the common tongue? If we work on it every night, you should be able to start talking in a few weeks!" he offers with a smile.

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 09:41 AM
Tiana doesn't answer for a moment, but she finally smiles. (Abyssal) "I would like that. It'll take a while to pick up though, won't it?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 09:45 AM
Stark nods. "(Abyssal) Yes but I will make sure you can learn. I want you to enjoy the world and make lots of friends. Also, Qari will probably stop being so scared of you when she can understand and realize how nice a person you are."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 09:51 AM
The tiefling tilts her head. (Abyssal) "She's... afraid of me?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 10:13 AM
Stark nods. "(Abyssal) Yeah, don't you remember? Every time I've had her help you get dressed she says you did something or reacted in a way that conveyed you were angry with her."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 10:31 AM
Tiana looks confused. (Abyssal) "I'm not, though... why would she say that?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 10:34 AM
"(Abyssal) Because she can't understand what you're saying, and well, to be honest, with all the scars and the muscle and the way you don't wear feminine outfits, you do look a little imposing," Stark admits. "(Abyssal) Of course, I know that you're not scary, but that's why it's important to help you learn how to speak correctly. That way you can talk to others and they'll realize you're just a normal person who wants to get her memories back."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 10:40 AM
(Abyssal) "....Is it because I chased her out of the bedroom and down the stairs back at the resort?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 10:44 AM
Stark blinks in surprise. "Did you think that part wasn't scary until now? I thought she could understand Common? Qari was terrified back then!" he thinks to himself.

"(Abyssal) That's certainly part of it. Normally, if someone like you, a strong gladiator type who can't communicate, runs at someone else with a mean look on her face, it means you're trying to hurt them. I think Qari is completely justified in being scared of you after that."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 10:48 AM
(Abyssal) "She squeezed me into a shirt that was uncomfortable and kept pulling my hair."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 10:53 AM
Stark frowns. "(Abyssal) Yes, dear, but that doesn't give you the right to chase her. And what were you hoping to accomplish by doing that? Getting her to stop? You didn't chase her until after she had finished. The only thing your actions did was scare her!"

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 11:15 AM
Tiana bows her head. (Abyssal) "I couldn't think clearly back then. Everything was just a big mess in my head. I don't know why I can think straight now when I couldn't back then."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 11:23 AM
Stark smiles. "(Abyssal) You're healing. You lose more and more of Wrath each day and gaining back more and more Tiana. I barely recognize you from the demon who watched me punch myself in the crotch inside a cage."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 11:42 AM
Tiana laughs and leans against him. (Abyssal) "I still don't get why you did that. Was it that important to show you didn't want to hurt me?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 11:50 AM
Stark wraps his arm around her and nods. "(Abyssal) If I couldn't get you to trust me, I couldn't rescue you."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 12:12 PM
Tiana rests her head on his shoulder. (Abyssal) "I guess that's true. I probably would've torn your arm off and beaten you with it if I thought you were trying to use me."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 12:22 PM
Stark chuckles. "(Abyssal) Yeah. You were so passionate and...feral. You didn't even mind walking around with your breasts exposed."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 12:23 PM
She shrugs. (Abyssal) "I still don't see what the issue is other than that other people get upset about it."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 12:25 PM
Stark chuckles. "(Abyssal) Taalia is jealous and she doesn't want me looking at you instead of her," he explains.

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 02:20 PM
Tiana gives him a curious look. (Abyssal) "Why would she be jealous? Or want you to not look at anybody else?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 02:56 PM
Stark thinks about how to best explain it. "(Abyssal) Taalia knows that you are much prettier than her. Your physical appearance is much more pleasing to look at, and it makes her feel insecure about herself. She also has romantic feelings towards me, so she wants me to pay attention solely to her."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 03:04 PM
Tiana doesn't seem to understand what he's saying very well. (Abyssal) "She thinks I'm trying to take you from her? Is that bad?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 03:08 PM
Stark tries to explain. "Well, you know how there's only one Queen? It's like that. Taalia wants to be my queen, and if she is my queen, then no one else can be."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 03:24 PM
(Abyssal) "So... you're actually a king? Doesn't that mean you get to decide if you can have more than one queen?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 03:32 PM
"(Abyssal) No, well, it's not like that. Yes I could decide to have more than one girl but if I did Taalia would refuse to be one of them because she wants me all to herself."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 03:38 PM
(Abyssal) "...It sounds like a big confusing mess to me."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 03:53 PM
"(Abyssal) Basically I need to do anything Taalia says, avoid doing anything that makes her angry, and also do things that she doesn't tell me to do but makes her happy. I have to devote my time, energy, money, and life to her."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 03:57 PM
Tiana frowns. (Abyssal) "Sounds a lot like what the people at the resort had to do... Are you sure you want that?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 04:00 PM
Stark laughs. "(Abyssal) An interesting analogy. But I care about Taalia. I want her to be happy. So yes, that is what I want. I mean, it's that or continue being alone, and no one wants that."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 04:32 PM
Tiana blushes a little and slowly shrugs off Stark's arm. (Abyssal) "Right... no one wants to be alone..."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 04:33 PM
Sense Motive- [roll0]

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 04:37 PM
Stark looks a little confused at her but laughs it off, putting his hand at his side. "(Abyssal) Taalia doesn't dislike you or anything, she just knows she can't compete with your body. If you flaunted your body more like you used to, and maybe acted a bit more like Taalia does, well then I doubt I'd be able to even take my eyes off you for a moment, and she knows that."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 04:38 PM
Tiana nods and looks down at the floor, her tail lashing back and forth against the wall.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 05:33 PM
Stark frowns but lets it go. He sits down between Lux and Taalia again, waiting patiently for Vaex.

Prehysterical
2015-05-17, 07:21 PM
A sinking feeling makes its presence known in Vaex's gut. "That would explain how Martiviraurix got here... And let me guess, the Void knows about me and the others? Wants to snuff us out like a cheap candle?"

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 07:27 PM
"That's the general idea. This is all speculation, mind you, I could just be delusional, but everything fits together with the information that we have." They reach the castle gates, where Gathard lets them in and directs them toward the tombs. "Her Majesty wants me to take you all through the Graveyard to get out of the city, but there's something I need to do first. If the city's under attack, it needs all the defenders it can get."

Prehysterical
2015-05-17, 07:36 PM
The dragon fire in Vaex's blood nearly freezes as Khamer mentions the plan. "You're going to take us through the Realm of the Dead? Isn't that going to be a problem for those of us still breathing?"

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 07:48 PM
"Not exactly. The Gravekeeper prefers that only the souls of the departed pass into His realm, but a handful of His followers, mainly the Duskmantle family, have been gifted with artifacts that allow us to pass through the Graveyard. There are dangers, of course; entering without a specific destination or purpose tends to end badly for those who enter that plane, and the lights in the fog are a serious danger if you stray from the designated path... but it will be safer than trying to flee the city on foot or leaving through the use of arcane magic."

Prehysterical
2015-05-17, 08:00 PM
Vaex's mouth opens to protest, but he shuts it as he realizes that they have no better options. He keeps an eye out for potential trouble as they look for Stark and the others.

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 08:05 PM
Khamer and Vaex find the others within minutes. Nyktox jumps up and grins. "I was starting to think you'd gotten in over your head!"

Khamer is nearly knocked over as Taalia throws herself at him and hugs him tightly. "Sorry to make you worry like that, my dear. I guess I was a little too reckless that time." Looking up at the metal doors, he grins. "Couldn't resist volunteering to guard the Sunveil, could you?"

After prying himself from his niece's grasp, Khamer turns to address them all. "We don't have much time. I have to get you all out of the city as quickly as possible. Kuhl'Ner'Zug isn't after the Sunveil, he's after you. Please, follow me. We need to get to my workshop, that's where we'll be leaving from."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 08:11 PM
Stark narrows his eyes as he stands up. "And Her Majesty? Rhaegos? Tharas? Why are you alone, Khamer?"

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 08:29 PM
Khamer frowns. "Because I am nothing but a nuisance to the Corpse King, even in the weakened state he's in now. To be honest, I'm surprised that I'm standing here right now. It's likely the only reason he didn't kill me outright is because he wanted to torment me before finishing me off."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 08:31 PM
Stark sighs. "Fine then. Take the others and run. But I'm not going anywhere. If I need to make a quick escape, I have magic to do that. I'm going to stay here and meet this Xinia in person. I need to know why a necromancer would turn against the Keeper."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 08:34 PM
Khamer puts a hand on Stark's shoulder. "I don't think you understand what's happening here. The Corpse King and Martiviraurix are after the heroes in the prophecy. This isn't a matter of the Corpse King's worshipers, this isn't a matter of plots against the Veiled Tundra, this is a matter of the world's survival."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 08:38 PM
Stark smacks Khamer's hand away. "Don't you patronize me, old man! You just said that! Of course I realize what's going on here. But someone is organizing the cultists I ran into before, and if that person isn't Xinia then they likely know where I can find her."

His eyes catch Taalia's and he clenches his fist and turns away. "...Fine. Lead the way. I'm right behind you."

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 08:42 PM
Khamer starts to lead them down the hall, but a voice from behind makes him stop.

"You need not seek me any longer, young man. Although I hope that you'll allow a moment for polite introductions before giving in to the rage that the Flameking's son is known for."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 08:44 PM
Stark turns in surprise to look at the source of the voice.

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 08:53 PM
At the end of the hall is a young woman with long black hair, her violet eyes regarding Stark with a mix of curiosity and caution from behind her glasses. She's cradling a heavy-looking tome in her left arm, while her right moves up to brush a strand of hair from her eyes. "I hear that you are one of those responsible for disposing of that raving madwoman Nerine. To be honest, I have to thank you; if she'd been allowed to try carrying out the task that was assigned to me by the head of the Black Depths Initiates, who knows what disaster she'd have caused?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 09:06 PM
Stark blinks in shock, and then snaps his fingers. He raises his hand and a ball of flame appears, twisting and growing until it shapes itself into his staff, which drops into his hands. He swings the staff around him and a circle of flame appears, wrapping itself in a ring around himself and the mage. Without turning his gaze from her, he states coldly, "This is between the two of us. Don't worry, I'm not stupid enough to die here. Now get lost!"

He steps forward. "Quite rude of you, to request polite introductions and then not even state your name. I am Stark Frostfell, Archmage of the Nightveil. And let me make one thing perfectly clear: I don't care how beautiful a form you take in my presence, you are nothing more than a monster. Anyone who would dare sully the sacred tradition of the Circle of Magi by turning her back on the sacred edict that magic must serve mankind but never rule over him...is my enemy."

Prehysterical
2015-05-17, 09:54 PM
The confidence with which the woman reveals herself unnerves Vaex. When Stark rings himself and the woman in flame, Vaex starts tugging silently on Khamer's robes. We have to go.

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 10:44 PM
The woman looks legitimately impressed at Stark's summoning of the staff. "Ah, the power of the lost world. Impressive, you truly are the ones spoken of in prophecy."

She bows and adjusts her glasses. "My apologies, I haven't yet introduced myself. I am Xinia, servant of the Void. While I agree with your Circle's belief that magic should be used to better the world, I do not hold myself to their closed-minded creed. I seek to restore balance to the world, at the request of my Lord and Master." Before Stark can retort that, she raises a finger to silence him. "Do not mistake my intentions; I fully understand your importance to the events transpiring at this time, and I will not interfere with your goals anymore than necessary. I do ask, however, that you do the same."

Khamer nods to Vaex for them to go ahead. "I need to make sure the boy doesn't get himself killed... this woman's much more powerful than she looks."

Xinia is about to speak again when she lets out a pained cry and clutches at her head, her book falling to the cavern floor with a dull thud. "Y... yes, Lord..." She takes a deep breath and picks up her tome, before raising her hand in front of herself with her palm facing at Stark. "My apologies, but my Lord wishes for your deaths. I must obey his commands." Her hand glows with a bright blue light. "Lightning Bolt."

Lightning Bolt for , Reflex DC 18 for half.

Nyktox:
Taalia: [roll2]
Lux: [roll3]
Tiana: [roll4]
Khamer: 1d20+13
Forseti: [roll5]

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-17, 10:47 PM
Stark glares at the witch as she speaks. "You wish to restore balance to the world? Necromancers are supposed to be patrons of death, tasked with laying hostile spirits to rest and allowing those who would voluntarily pledge their allegiance beyond the grave to serve for eternity. You have defiled your position...not to mention I can taste how foul the Weave is around you. ...Don't try and pretend like you're innocent. Your heart is as black as your hair, Xinia. But if your intent is not to stop us, then I suppose I can honor that and look the other way for now..."

She reacts violently and drops the book, and Stark, despite himself, rushes to her side, dropping his staff in the process. "Xinia! Are you okay? Is this negative feedback? Let me help you!" He closes his eyes and begins to draw some of the Weave surrounding her into him, trying to stabilize her. There is a spark of black and red light as their magic mixes inside Stark and he coughs, jumping back as she straightens up.

She fires a bolt of lightning directly into his chest.

"Idiot. You got careless there, 'hero'," Cinderhulk's voice echoes in his mind. Stark flips backwards and lands on his feet, gripping his glove. "You...are sending some mixed signals here," he comments drily, picking his staff up.

Prehysterical
2015-05-18, 11:18 AM
It's only through Vaex's viper-quick reflexes that he avoids being completely fried by the lightning. It's obvious this woman's magic will be the death of them if they stay much longer. Looking at Nyktox and Forseti, he mouths, "Go." He starts pushing Taalia away from the spectacle.

Diachronos
2015-05-18, 11:35 AM
Khamer joins Vaex in ushering the others away, though he lingers to keep an eye on Stark.

Xinia stumbles a little from the lingering effects of Stark's connection. She blinks a few times before straightening up. "'The Weave'? Is that what they call it in this world? Or what they call it in this time... it's hard to keep track of which world I'm in..."

After the lightning strike, Stark sees odd images in his head. Xinia as a girl, leafing through an apprentice-level text late at night while a handful of other similarly-dressed girls try to sleep in the same room. Her displaying her magical prowess during an exam, impressing her instructors and even the headmaster of the institution. Passing through a gateway into a realm inhabited by what appear to be humans with body parts made of solid black metal.

And then war. Explosions of magical energy as spells come into contact with twisted, black-skinned creatures led by a mass of the same dark energies that make up the creatures themselves. Xinia becoming separated from her group and surrounded by the abominations as they slowly close in while her magic runs dry. Finally being pinned to the ground and forced to watch as their leader takes physical form, her vision fading as a white light is plucked from her chest and absorbed into the beast...

"As for your accusations, I am no necromancer. I have no desire to further the goals of the fanatics that call themselves the Black Depths Initiates, only to obey my Lord's command and aid in his revival."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-18, 11:41 AM
Stark holds his staff carefully, his other hand gripping the burning flesh in his chest. "I see...so you're not from this world. I suppose that I can't fault you for not obeying our customs then. I'm sorry, Xinia, I didn't mean to get so angry. But I don't understand, if you're not from this world, then why would you attempt to revive the Corpse King? Is He really a god in the world you come from too?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-18, 12:41 PM
Xinia sees a flash in her mind as she staggers back. Stark, only about fifteen years old, standing his ground as his two friends back up into a mountain wall. A manticore, drawing closer, its tail spikes glinting in the sunlight as it bares its fangs, looking at them hungrily.

"Stark, what are you doing? If we run, we might be able to find Professor Cyrus, and he could defeat this monster no problem!"

"There's no time for that! Maybe you fell asleep in Magical Beasts, but I didn't. The second we turn our backs to that thing is the second we go down with three tail spines sticking out of our spines. Monsters like this only respond to magical power."

Looking back at the two of them, Stark slowly, carefully loosens his glove, letting the serpent's eye see daylight. It starts to glow and Stark glares at the monster. "All fire bends to my will!" he yells, slamming his hands to the ground. A geyser of fire erupts and knocks the manticore off its feet. The monster backs off, deciding that these three aren't worth the trouble.

Stark's friends jump around him. "That was amazing! How did you do that?" "Oh, just a little something I've been working on in my spare time." "Wow, you really saved us back there." "Yeah, Stark, you're a hero!"

Stark blushes and rubs the back of his head. "Well, I don't know about all that..."

"That spell was just like a volcano...hey, 'Volcano'! That sounds pretty cool!"

"Yeah, Stark, I'm gonna call you The Volcano from now on!"

Stark blinks, and grins. "'The Volcano', huh? I like the sound of that..."

Diachronos
2015-05-18, 02:57 PM
Xinia's eyes widen slightly when Stark mentions her being a foreigner to this world, but quickly regains her composure when he asks about the deity. "Kuhl'Ner'Zug is little more than an undead fish that absorbed a tiny fragment of divine power and now believes himself to be a true god. He is barely a deity in this world, let alone any others. I only have need to free the portion of my Master that dwells within him; after that, he is merely essence to be consumed by the Void once my Master is revived."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-18, 03:00 PM
Stark is silent for a moment, then closes his eyes. The ring of fire around them extinguishes. "If that is your goal, then I suggest you focus on it, while harming as few innocent people as possible. And you also better make yourself scarce. The Dread Queen will not share my lenience."

He turns around and runs off with Khamer.

Diachronos
2015-05-19, 12:51 AM
Xinia clutches her head again as Stark turns to leave with the others, and as they round the corner another bolt of lightning strikes the wall behind them.

Khamer leads them out of the tombs and into another wing of the castle. Opening a set of heavy wooden doors, he ushers them in before closing the doors and locking them; the group now finds themselves inside a massive workship. "Hopefully she didn't follow us, I'd rather not face her as drained as I am now..."

He heads over to a side passage. "Nyx, we've got work to do. Serana wants Gustav out in the streets, and then we're heading to the Graveyard." His pseudodragon familiar flits out, a worried look on his face. Whatever he says through their telepathy causes Khamer to frown. "Yes, I remember what happened last time! That's one of the reasons I don't let armed guards in here anymore! If it's just us, he shouldn't act up like before."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-19, 01:00 AM
Stark grips his staff as he walks. "That seemed like some kind of enchantment magic...is Xinia really cooperating with this 'lord' of hers voluntarily?" he mutters to himself, looking down at the glove on his hand. "Let's hurry. I need to do some research. Nyktox, Tiana, stay in front of us and dispatch any cultists that may be lurking about. Vaex, keep your eyes peeled for any archers or mages that might seek to take us out from a vantage point. Lux, give everyone some lightning resistance in case we're followed. Princess...just don't get yourself in any trouble." He keeps looking over his shoulder...a part of him almost hoping the witch was following them.

Diachronos
2015-05-19, 09:35 PM
Stark doesn't see any sign of Xinia as they head to Khamer's workship.

The vampire pulls aside a large canvas, revealing what appears to be a massive stitched-together construct of sorts. It lacks a head, instead having multiple eyes around its neck and shoulder area, and the front side of its torso is almost entirely composed of a large maw filled with fanglike ribs. Four arms end in serrated talons, and a pair of tattered wings lie limp beneath the creature.

"Now, let's see... everything's in place, the stitches are holding... All that's left to do is wake him up."

Nyktox lingers by Vaex and Forseti, and the two dragonkin are giving the construct wary looks. "Does he... usually make things like that?"

Taalia frowns at Stark. "Don't treat me like I need to be coddled, Stark. I'm just as capable of defending myself as the other girls, and with a more level head than you've shown."

Khamer utters a curse and slams his fist on the workshop table. "Of course that would happen. The rust lord bits are burnt out, he's not going to be able to power them with just the animation magic!" He turns to the party. "I don't suppose one of you has something capable of outputting electrical power, would you?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-19, 09:39 PM
Stark closes his eyes and his brand starts to glow. His hair color changes, a black streak sliding down his bangs as he opens his eyes. Ash sighs and looks at Taalia with annoyance. "Still as noisy as ever, I see. Do what you want then." He shrugs and walks with Khamer, finding the construct very interesting. "Hmm...I see. Does this thing actually fly, or are those wings more of a decorative choice?"

Diachronos
2015-05-19, 09:48 PM
"He does, yes. When he's active, at least... I kinda regretted the decision the first time I animated him, we had to chase him out onto one of the glaciers floating in the North Sea." Nyx grumbles something, which earns a scowl from Khamer. "I know you think Gustav's more trouble than he's worth, but the city doesn't have much for heavy offense outside of Archmage Rhaegos. And you can't honestly tell me that seeing him coming out of the city gates wouldn't make an army think twice about attacking."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-19, 10:29 PM
Ashe snaps his fingers. A small ball of fire appears in his open palm. "I can't create electricity, but I can provide heated air. Will that help at all?"

Diachronos
2015-05-19, 10:47 PM
"Unfortunately not. Gustav had rust lord tendrils in his mouth, they need a proper electric charge to function."

Forseti nudges Vaex's leg. "Don't you still have those gems from the Tower?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-20, 01:05 AM
Ashe shrugs and walks over to the fiend kin. "(Abyssal) Well hello there, little minx. Stark's taking a nap right now, so let's you and I have a chat, shall we?" His hand glows and he touches her arm, granting her the cunning of a fox.

Diachronos
2015-05-20, 01:07 AM
Taalia is glowering at Stark's back as he talks to Tiana. The tiefling gives him a confused look. (Abyssal) "What about? We talked plenty earlier, was there something else on your mind?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-20, 01:30 AM
Ashe grins, running one hand through the black lock of his hair, brushing it out of his face. "(Abyssal) Oh, that's right. We haven't met yet, have we?" He takes a step forward, grabbing Tiana's wrist and bringing her hand to his lips. "(Abyssal) My name is Ashe. I'm a combination of Stark's...let's say 'emotions' and Cinderhulk's personality. It's my pleasure to meet you." He straightens up and looks her over. "(Abyssal) My, the outside world has not been kind to you. Honestly, I prefer the way you dressed and carried yourself when you were caged to this...lie." He gestures to her outfit. "(Abyssal) Heh. You know, Taalia wouldn't let anyone tell her how to dress or act. Taalia would just behave however she wanted. And Taalia would take whatever or whoever she wanted. But I guess that's just one more reason why you're not as worthy of my attention as she is, huh?"

Ashe is saying all this with the assumption that Tiana's Int is in fact still 10 or higher, so that she can process all this and feel normal emotions

Diachronos
2015-05-20, 01:44 AM
Tiana pulls her hand free, her cheeks reddening as she turns away. (Abyssal) "W-what are you talking about? What's this about taking what or who I want?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-20, 01:47 AM
Ashe chuckles as he gives her a look. "(Abyssal) There's that cute face...you're starting to look as hopeless and confused as you did when we first met. All I'm saying is, if it seems like Taalia has something you want, you could always just...take it from her. Do you understand?"

Prehysterical
2015-05-20, 02:29 PM
Looking down at Forseti after his question, Vaex smacks his own scaly forehead. "Of course!" Digging through his pack, Vaex fishes out the shock gems and shows them to Khamer. "How many of these do you need?"

Diachronos
2015-05-20, 06:24 PM
Tiana shakes her head. (Abyssal) "I don't want to take things from people, not after what was taken from me."

Khamer's eyes widen at the sight of the gems. "Where did you find these?" He plucks one of the gems, carefully examining it in the light. "Amazing... these gems are generating their own power, not drawing it from another source. And with the output, one of these will easily outdo the rust lord parts I was using before!"

Prehysterical
2015-05-20, 06:29 PM
"I got them from deactivating the trap columns guarding the exterior ramp of the Crag Tower. You're welcome, by the way. It was only like standing in the middle of a storm while holding an iron rod over my head and up to my ankles in water."

Diachronos
2015-05-20, 06:32 PM
"I will definitely have to take a look at the tower once this is all over with. Thanks for bringing these, Vaex." He pries open Gustav's mouth and begins messing with something inside, the only sounds of his work being the grating of bones and metal and the squishing of flesh. "Okay, just need to stick this in here, and... there we go!"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-20, 06:51 PM
Ashe gives her a curious look. "(Abyssal) That's an odd stance to take. You hurt people, even though people hurt you constantly. How is that different? You killed both of the cultists in that tunnel without even blinking. But you don't want to steal from anyone? That's kind of a messed up moral system you've got there."

Diachronos
2015-05-20, 09:25 PM
(Abyssal) "I don't... like hurting people. It brings up bad feelings."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-20, 09:28 PM
Ashe tilts his head. He crosses his arms and leans back against the wall, his playful expression gone. "(Abyssal) Then don't. No one's forcing you to. We're going to see your dojo. Why don't we let you stay there with your master and your old friends? You won't have to hurt another person ever again. Forget the prophecy, forget the Black Depth Initiates, forget Stark and the others. Just go home and be happy. That's an option for you, Tiana. If you want it."

Diachronos
2015-05-20, 09:31 PM
Tiana shakes her head. (Abyssal) "I don't want to leave you all. I feel... like I belong with you and the others."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-20, 09:40 PM
Ashe stands up off the wall and gives her a serious look. "(Abyssal) If that's your choice, then suck it up and get over it. You're going to have to hurt people. No one likes doing it. Not even the bad guys. Believe me, if we could all sit around a table with a pot of tea and discuss the pros and cons of bringing the Corpse King back into this world I'd be the one serving crumpets in a frilly apron, but that's not how ideology works. They're prepared to kill to realize their ambitions, and we have to be prepared to kill in order to stop them."

He sighs and looks over at the construct. "(Abyssal) Things just got a lot more complicated too. That woman...Stark is going to try and 'save' her. And that means risking his neck and possibly breaking it. If that happens, you're the only one who's strong enough to protect him. Well, you and whoever this 'Guardian' person is. If you're not willing to hurt people to keep Stark safe, then you might as well stay here in the castle."

Prehysterical
2015-05-20, 09:53 PM
Vaex places a hand on Forseti's neck, nudging the both of them back from the abomination before them. Interestingly, however, Vaex is able to pick every twentieth word that Stark and Tiana are speaking. Are the words just somehow clicking in his mind after enough exposure?

Diachronos
2015-05-20, 10:10 PM
Tiana growls. (Abyssal) "I'm not a weakling, Ashe. I'm going to come with you, and anyone who tries to hurt Stark or the others is going to feel my fists. I'd rather harm people who attack us than stand by while people I care about are in danger."

Khamer is busy arranging black gemstones around the construct. "Just about ready... there! Time to wake him up." He goes through the motions and incantations of casting a spell, and bolts of black energy spark from the gems and into the construct.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-20, 10:21 PM
Ashe raises an eyebrow. "(Abyssal) The people you care about? Plural? How could you have any feeling at all for Taalia or Vaex or Nyktox, you've never even spoken to them!"

The sound of the construct whirring to life cuts him off. Ashe chuckles and turns around to watch, his hand grabbing Tiana's tail and stroking the spaded tip absent-mindedly.

Diachronos
2015-05-20, 10:39 PM
Ashe's hand on the spaded tip of her tail drew out a high-pitched squeak from Tiana, and the appendage almost immediately tore itself from his grip and curled around to her other side, her cheeks burning red.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-20, 10:55 PM
Ashe chuckles at her. "(Abyssal) Oh you are a delight," he comments, then stretches and yawns. "(Abyssal) Eh, I need to go though. Maybe I'll see you later, little girl."

Ashe closes his eyes and the black streak in his hair fades to red. He closes up his robe and tightens his glove. Stark opens his eyes and regards Khamer with impatient annoyance. "If you're going to get us out of the city, you should probably do so as quickly as possible, old man."

Diachronos
2015-05-22, 12:17 PM
"Yes, yes, we'll be departing in a moment. I need to make sure he's fully functional before I set him against the cultists." As the construct clambers to its feet, Khamer touches its leg, and the two of them seem to stare at each other for a short time. The construct finally nods and trudges out of the workshop, its heavy footfalls causing the floor to tremble with each step.

Khamer begins digging through one of his desks and pulls out an ivory symbol of the Gravekeeper. "Everybody gather around, I haven't tried bringing a group this big through the portal before." He closes his eyes and clutches the relic tightly, and moments later a rift seems to slice open behind him. The other side appears to be a mass of pale blue fog, with flickering lights in the distance.

Prehysterical
2015-05-22, 12:28 PM
"Whatever you see in there, don't stray. Otherwise, we might never see you again," Vaex admonishes Forseti gently.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-22, 01:13 PM
Stark watches as the portal opens. He takes Taalia's hand and they step through the portal together.

Diachronos
2015-05-22, 08:05 PM
As Stark and Taalia begin to enter the portal, a deep rumbling can be heard from above. Moments later, part of the workshop ceiling collapses as Serana crashes through it, looking severely beat-up. She climbs to her feet and picks up her scythe as the possessed dragon's head smashes through the hole her entrance had made. "I grow tired of playing, leech. It's time you and your half-breed child join your mortal husband in the afterlife."

Serana hefts her scythe. "Maybe it is my time, but I'll see you returned to the dark hole you crawled out of first, beast."

The dragon lunges for her, only to have its snout pinned to the floor by a mighty downward swing of the scythe. The queen turns to the group. "I thought you all were getting out of here. Move, now."

Khamer begins to push them all through the portal, despite Taalia's protests. After Tiana and Lux are herded through, he begins pushing Taalia and Stark into the passage. Kuhl'Ner'Zug breaks free of the scythe and pounces on Serana, knocking her against the wall with his wing before slamming his clawed talon down onto her, drawing a ragged gasp from the queen.

"Mother! Mother, please, let us help you!"

Serana shakes her head. "You have to go, Taalia! What happens to me doesn't matter, you need to survive!" She is picked up by the dragon and tossed into the air, and Khamer forces everybody through the portal just before Kul'Nehr'Zug's jaws clamp down on the vampire.

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-22, 08:14 PM
Stark watches in horror as Serana is devoured alive...sort of. He instinctively raises his hand, and it starts to glow with black fire, but then he is shoved through the portal.

Stark looks around the inside of the rift, trying to get his bearings. "The Weave is so thick here...it's like wading through pure magic. This is even more oppressive than being in Rhaegos's presence. Illusions and evocation...even transmutations and conjurations must occur naturally here. Magic without a caster...without a purpose. This is the type of wild sorcery that leads to abominations and blood magic. We need to get out of here as quickly as possible. The divide between this world and The Abyss is very weak, and if a Pride demon senses my or Lux's presence it could be catastrophic. ...Taalia, I know you're upset but we have to move!"

Diachronos
2015-05-22, 08:25 PM
Taalia shakes her head and throws herself at the portal, only to be stopped rather forcefully by Khamer as he steps through. "I'm sorry, Taalia... but your mother is right. I hate to do this after everything she's done for me, but we're just going to have to trust that she can handle herself."

Looking around at the party, he pushes his glasses up his nose. "I may as well be blunt about where we are. This is the Graveyard, the realm of the Gravekeeper Himself. Kul'Nehr'Zug can't follow us here very easily, but we need to move so you can find the Guardian."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-22, 08:32 PM
Stark grabs Taalia's hand. "Look at me. If you want to hate me for being insensitive, go right ahead. But Serana asked me to look after you. And she also wanted me to save the world from the Void. That's what I'm going to do. And you're coming with me...conscious or not!"

He raises his staff and drops into a low fighting stance that Tiana instantly recognizes as hers. He holds the staff in both hands threateningly. "I will find the Guardian, conquer every tower, crush the Void, and save Xinia, and I'll do it all with you at my side. So wake up and start walking, or you'll see the power of a hero firsthand!"

Prehysterical
2015-05-22, 10:22 PM
Vaex gazes at Stark in an unimpressed manner. "No but seriously, let's get out of here. This place is making my scales crawl." The greenscale settles into his typical scouting pattern as they move forward.
[roll0]

Diachronos
2015-05-23, 09:28 AM
Taalia pulls her hood up and pushes by Stark. Khamer sighs and puts a hand on the mage's shoulder. "Don't be too hard on her, Stark. As far as she knows, she's now lost both of her parents to the Corpse King. And I get the feeling she's going to need you more than ever before too long." Removing his hand, he gestures for Nyx to take the lead, and the mists surrounding them part slightly to make a path.

Vaex can't see more than a few feet in front of him thanks to the thick fog, though he does manage to spot some flickering blue-white flames scattered about in the fog.

Khamer moves to the head of the party and turns to address them. "There are a few things you should know about this realm. Don't stray into the fog, or you might never find the path again. And definitely don't follow the lights. The ones who manage the souls of the dead are pleasant beings, but the realm's guardians don't take kindly to those who don't belong here, and in the fog you're free game to them."

Nyktox growls and flexes his clawed hands. "What sort of guardians are they? More undead?"

Khamer shakes his head. "I haven't seen them before, and if I'm lucky I won't have to until my soul passes into this realm."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-23, 09:40 AM
Stark sighs. At least he got her moving. Stark quickly takes a head count, making sure Vaex, Tiana, Lux, Nyktox and Forseti were all accounted for. He felt a little bad about leaving Qari behind, but if Serana was really...gone...then Qari could at least look after little Kyo. Perhaps it was better that she wasn't traveling into the Beastlands with them.

The archmage puts his staff away and slowly follows the group. Serena's actions didn't make any sense at all to him. If she knew that the dragon's true target was Tiana, why did she have them wait for Khamer? She could have simply ordered Stark and the others to run. If this place was somehow necessary for escape, Rhaegos or Varas could probably have opened the portal more easily than Khamer did, and Garthad would have been able to tell them how to get through, most likely. Or Rhaegos could simply have teleported them all to the forest directly. Why did Serana go through so much risk?

He looks up at the hooded dhampir. There would be plenty of time to be a good boyfriend and let her cry on his shoulder once they were out of danger but it still upset him to see her sad like this.

Stark catches up to Lux. "If Vaex had seen anyone attacking Nightraven Manor, he would have told you," he comments. "Your parents are probably just fine."

Diachronos
2015-05-23, 09:50 AM
Lux nods and gently grabs Stark's arm, nodding toward Taalia. "I'm more worried about her right now. Mother and Father are smart people and with the Council defending the city they're not likely to be in danger, but Princess Taalia... do you think she's going to be able to keep going after what we just saw?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-23, 09:54 AM
Stark frowns as he looks at her. "Serana prepared her for this. In the back of her mind, Taalia has been dreading the possibility of her mother's death since Serana gave her that sword. Because this didn't happen out of the blue, Taalia is a bit more able to handle the shock. I think right now she's more upset that her mother chose to sacrifice herself to cover Taalia's retreat than she is that her mother is dead. I'll take care of her, Lux, don't worry."

Diachronos
2015-05-23, 11:12 AM
"Prepared or not, it's not going to be easy on her." She sighs and watches the dhampir as she trudges after Nyx and Khamer. "You've already chosen her, haven't you?"

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-23, 11:14 AM
Stark sighs and then nods. "I have, but that might not matter anymore. She may want nothing to do with me after this."

Diachronos
2015-05-23, 12:28 PM
"I doubt she'll hate you over that. It's more likely she'll just be upset with everybody until she's had a chance to calm down and come to terms with what happened."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-23, 12:33 PM
"Yeah, I guess you're right." Stark replies. Lux had completely misinterpreted what he meant, but there was really no point in correcting her, so he just pretended like she made him feel better before catching up to the front of the group.

"Are you okay?" he asks Nyktox. "Stupid question, I guess. I'm sorry, we were so busy checking the walls of the city, we didn't have a chance to make sure your female friend was safe. Do you know if she made it out of the Nightveil okay?"

Diachronos
2015-05-23, 12:53 PM
Nyktox looks up at Stark. "I doubt Keila and the others would've had much trouble getting out. The troupe's good at leaving a place quickly when things go badly." He sighs, his crest drooping slightly. "I just wish I'd had a chance to say goodbye to her before we'd left."

NeoSeraphi
2015-05-23, 01:00 PM
Stark places a comforting hand on Nyktox's shoulder. "Hey, no worries. We'll see them again. Probably soon, I bet. Maybe she's heading the same direction we are?"

Prehysterical
2015-05-23, 02:18 PM
Vaex looks up at Stark and says, "If that is your idea of a joke, Stark, it's in poor taste. Hopefully, she is smart and heading back home to warn her own people about the coming storm." Vaex swipes a claw at the fog, frustrated at its ability to thwart his senses.

Diachronos
2015-05-23, 02:36 PM
The fog seems to cling at Vaex's hand when he swipes at it. Nyktox shrugs. "If they left, they're probably heading back to the south toward the Conclave. I don't know if we're heading in that direction, though."