PDA

View Full Version : Spellstitched

JellyPooga
2007-04-18, 09:59 AM
I asked in Quick RAW:

Q.290 The Spellstitched template. Is there a Level Adjustment? According to Complete Arcane, no. Does any other book suggest otherwise, or is it 'free' (apart from the XP cost for the 'Spellstitcher')?

and got the reply:

A. 290

Spellstitched creatures do not have LA's, because they are not deemed suitable as player characters.

If that's the that case, why does the Spellstitched template have rules for crafting Spellstitched creatures if they are not suitable for player use? Specifically, why does it state that an Undead Spellcaster can Spellstitch themselves?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-18, 10:19 AM
NPCs can be undead spellcasters too.

Level Adjustment

This line is included in the entries of creatures suitable for use as player characters or as cohorts (usually creatures with Intelligence scores of at least 3 and possessing opposable thumbs).

Assassinfox
2007-04-18, 10:44 AM
Is there an echo in here? o.O

I agree, it seems stupid to put crafting rules for it if they're only meant for NPCs. If they were meant for only NPCs, the DM doesn't need to keep track of xp and feats and crafting costs. Just wave your hand and go "Okay, he's spellstitched."

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-18, 10:58 AM
The Craft Construct feat was also put in the MM and not the PHB.

Some DMs actually track costs for their NPCs, but in this case the CR adjustment is of course enough in most cases with Spellstitched.

If you are comfortable playing with custom races/types and allow players to be undead you can always house rule an appropriate LA if you want to include Spellstitched.

Ramza00
2007-04-18, 11:18 AM
Lord_Silvanos is wrong. With his logic there would be a LA of --.

Level Adjustment isn't mentioned at all either for or against, thus you can't say a PC can't play a spell stiched creature. Furthermore it says the

is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal undead with a Wisdom score of 10 or higher (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

thus in theory you should be able to add the template to a PC.

Note the costs of spell stiching
1,000 gp for carving or tattooing materials in addition to 500 XP × the undead creature’s Wisdom score.
If you want a wisdom of 19 so you can cast 6th lvl spell like abilities that would be an XP of 9,500 almost the cost of 2 wishes. Spell stiched creatures are effectively given an extra item which is fused to their skin and it can cast spells.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-18, 11:30 AM
The MM says that the LA line is included if the template/creature is suitable for use as PCs and cohorts.

It is not included for the spellstitched.

I never said that a PC creature could not be a legal target or that it would be unbalancing, I simply quoted the MM.

Jasdoif
2007-04-18, 07:02 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#readingATemplate

Generally, if a template does not cause a change to a certain statistic, that entry is missing from the template description.

That suggests that the lack of a level adjustment entry means the level adjustment is unaltered by the template.