PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Path of the Warden - Barbarian path option [PEACH]

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-05, 06:44 AM
Path of the Warden
Your rage is a force of nature, a primeval savagery that echoes the mightiest tempests and fiercest wildfires. Your rage connects you to the magic that suffuses the natural world, and through its influence you stand as a champion of the wilds.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/594caae4b062b4a755ae00bf670ea147/tumblr_no8fn7VK5F1rkqhfbo1_1280.png

Spellcasting
By 3rd level, your rage has opened your mind to the magic of the world. You gain the ability to cast spells.

Cantrips. You learn two cantrips of your choice from the druid spell list. You learn an additional druid cantrip of your choice at 10th level.

Spell Slots. The Warden Spellcasting table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

Preparing and Casting spells. You prepare the list of spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the druid spell list. When you do so, choose a number of druid spells equal to your Wisdom modifier + one third of your barbarian level, rounded down (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

The Warden Spellcasting table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your druid spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting Ability. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your druid spells, since you learn your
spells through your connection to the natural world. You use your Wisdom whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Wisdom modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a druid spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell Save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Ritual Caster. You can cast a druid spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared.

Soul of the Wilds
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, your rage not only strengthens your muscles but also your resolve. When you enter your rage, you are able to maintain concentration on spells you have already cast, though you still cannot cast spells while raging. Additionally while raging, you have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.

Warden’s Presence
By 6th level, your rage embodies your role as a champion of nature, and wild beasts are loathe to earn your enmity. Whenever you enter your rage, each beast within 30 feet of you that can see or hear you must make on a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC. On a failed save, a target is frightened for 1 minute or until it takes damage. It can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

If the creature is frightened for the entire duration, it loses the will to fight and attempts to escape or otherwise end hostilities.

Nature’s Guardian
Starting at 6th level, your rage imbues the surrounding land with your own vitality. While raging, the land within 15 feet of you becomes enriched, dying vegetation is restored to its original health, and flowers bloom. Additionally, moving through nonmagical difficult terrain caused by plant life costs you no extra movement while raging.

Rage of Elements
At 10th level, your rage embodies the natural forces of the world. Whenever you enter a rage, choose acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. Your weapon attacks deal damage of that type instead of bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage and ignore resistance to that type for the duration of your rage.

Primal Strike
By 14th level, you gain the ability to infuse your attacks with the untameable fury of the wilds. Whenever you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack while raging, you may expend a spell slot to add an additional effect to the attack, as shown below.

1st-level slot or higher. The creature must succeed on a Strength saving throw against your spell save DC or be knocked prone if it is Large or smaller.

2nd-level slot or higher. As above, and the creature has disadvantage on the saving throw.

3rd-level slot or higher. As above, and the creature takes an additional 2d8 damage of the type you chose with your Rage of Elements feature.

4th-level slot or higher. As above, and each creature within 5 feet of the target is also affected by the primal strike.

Wartex1
2015-05-05, 09:17 AM
Looks nice, but maybe you should limit it to two or three schools like the other quarter-casters.

pibby
2015-05-05, 11:17 AM
I think this subclass would do just fine without spellcasting to be honest, the abilties are pretty good on their own save for the ones that rely on the spellcasting element. If it stays the way it is I think that Soul of the Wild is way too good. You need to cut the advantage on concentration and saving throws. Primal Strike also seems a bit too good, especially when the effects stack. I'd personally like it if Nature's Guardian purified the land and thus rids the area around the barbarian of unnatural rough terrain.

Wartex1
2015-05-05, 11:29 AM
I didn't notice the CON save part of Soul of the Wild.

How about just have you maintain Concentration indefinitely during rage? However, you make all Concentration checks that you would have made during the rage at the end of it.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-05, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the input y'all!

Looks nice, but maybe you should limit it to two or three schools like the other quarter-casters.

I thought about it, but schools of magic are really a more wizardly way of thinking of things. Since the core barbarian is already a competent combat class, the spells are intended to help the interaction and exploration pillars more. And I figured the limited preparation would help make it differentiate it further from the Eldritch Knight.

I think this subclass would do just fine without spellcasting to be honest, the abilties are pretty good on their own save for the ones that rely on the spellcasting element. If it stays the way it is I think that Soul of the Wild is way too good. You need to cut the advantage on concentration and saving throws. Primal Strike also seems a bit too good, especially when the effects stack. I'd personally like it if Nature's Guardian purified the land and thus rids the area around the barbarian of unnatural rough terrain.

I dunno, I don't think the advantage on Concentration is so bad. It's slightly earlier than when a character could get it with the Warcaster feat, but without any of the other benefits of that feat. Additionally, since you're on 1/3rd-Caster progression you don't really get access to anything obnoxiously powerful. Entangle, Faerie Fire, and Fog Cloud are the concentration spells to which you have access until 7th level; by then, it's reasonable to expect a caster-like character to have taken Warcaster. And if they're focused on concentration, they'd be 1 level behind the Warden until they took Resilient (Constitution) at 8th level. Discussing the ability as reasonable when comparing it to two feats is probably a sign of... something, lol. But I feel like the limited spell access helps temper it significantly. Besides, you're only preparing maybe 3-5 spells as you level. (Granted, at 7th level you get access to way more quality concentration spells, but they require some planning since you can't rage until after you've cast them.)

Yeah Primal Strike seems powerful, but at the same time you're limited on the number of times you can even attempt to use the higher-slotted abilities. You can only add additional damage twice until 16th level, and the knock-down effects aren't so ridiculous for the cost that they're a problem. And the burst effect doesn't even factor in until 19th level, and you're doing it once per long rest.

I really like the idea of a miniature land's stride. I was trying to make the ability more about flavor and not make it so... mechanically useful haha, but that doesn't seem too big.

I didn't notice the CON save part of Soul of the Wild.

How about just have you maintain Concentration indefinitely during rage? However, you make all Concentration checks that you would have made during the rage at the end of it.

Having to keep track of all of the times you're hit and then rolling a half-dozen times at the end doesn't seem particularly exciting.

jkat718
2015-05-06, 05:20 PM
Having to keep track of all of the times you're hit and then rolling a half-dozen times at the end doesn't seem particularly exciting.

Rather than "roll all of your Concentration saves at the end of Rage," just word it "If you fail a Concentration check while raging, your spell ends once you are no longer Raging, rather than immediately. Additionally, you no longer make Concentration saves until your Rage ends."

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-06, 06:06 PM
Rather than "roll all of your Concentration saves at the end of Rage," just word it "If you fail a Concentration check while raging, your spell ends once you are no longer Raging, rather than immediately. Additionally, you no longer make Concentration saves until your Rage ends."

Hmm, that's definitely a solid alternative.

meltodowno
2015-05-06, 08:31 PM
Cantrips. You learn two cantrips of your choice from the druid spell list. You learn an additional druid cantrip of your choice at 10th level.

Doesn't match the table (table only shows one additional cantrip)

Preparing and Casting spells. You prepare the list of spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the druid spell list. When you do so, choose a number of druid spells equal to your Wisdom modifier + one third of your barbarian level, rounded down (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Again, doesn't match the table with the spells known section been included ?

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-06, 08:47 PM
Doesn't match the table (table only shows one additional cantrip)
The cantrips are fine; you learn 2 at 3rd level and 1 at 10th level.

Again, doesn't match the table with the spells known section been included ?
This... is an oversight from an older version. Oops. I'll get a new table up soon.

meltodowno
2015-05-06, 08:54 PM
Oh yeah, misreading on the first part there, my bad.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-12, 05:30 AM
Adjusted Soul of the Wilds and Nature's Guardian.

Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, your rage not only strengthens your muscles but also your resolve. When you enter your rage, you are able to maintain concentration on spells you have already cast, though you still cannot cast spells while raging. Additionally while raging, you have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.
Keeps the spell concentration aspect I liked, without giving advantage on ALL Constitution saves and checks made during a rage.

Starting at 6th level, your rage imbues the surrounding land with your own vitality. While raging, the land within 15 feet of you becomes enriched, dying vegetation is restored to its original health, and flowers bloom. Additionally, moving through nonmagical difficult terrain costs you no extra movement while raging.
Incorporated the miniature Land's Stride into this ribbon.

jkat718
2015-05-13, 11:53 AM
Starting at 6th level, your rage imbues the surrounding land with your own vitality. While raging, the land within 15 feet of you becomes enriched, dying vegetation is restored to its original health, and flowers bloom. Additionally, moving through nonmagical difficult terrain costs you no extra movement while raging.
Incorporated the miniature Land's Stride into this ribbon.

The difficult terrain should only be "from plant or vegetative matter" or something similar. How does healing plants help clear out broken rocks?

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-13, 03:39 PM
The difficult terrain should only be "from plant or vegetative matter" or something similar. How does healing plants help clear out broken rocks?

Good call, edited.