PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help me check my math on my custom magic item

lytokk
2015-05-05, 07:40 AM
So, I'm a warforged artificer, and while one bracer slot is taken up by a wand sheath, I'm a little lost on what to do with the other bracer. So I've come up with a custom wondrous item that I'm going to pitch to my DM, but I'd like my math checked first. It will allow me to use CL 3 shocking grasp 3 times per day and CL burning hands 2 times per day. So its looking like

Shocking grasp 1 (SL) x 3 (CL) *2000 = 6000
Charges per day = 5/3
so 3600 for first effect

Burning hands 1 (sl) x 3 (cl) x 2000 = 6000
Charges per day = 5/2
so 600 = 2400

Since the burning hands is the cheaper enhancement it gets the x1.5 price modifier making it 3600

so its worth 7200. exp cost is 288 and gold cost is 3600. right? Its not something super useful in later levels but since we're only level 4 and even though I'm primarily a blaster I get into melee a lot. Also its nice to keep something with an area effect around.

lytokk
2015-05-05, 11:37 AM
Anyone? I just want to make sure I've got this all right before I present it to the DM. He doesn't know the item creation rules and basically told me that if I wanted to be an artificer, I'd have to learn all the rules myself.

heretic
2015-05-05, 12:04 PM
Your math is fine, but each character only gets one bracer slot, not two.

lytokk
2015-05-05, 01:06 PM
I thought it was technically two as normally both bracers have to be worn for the bracer to be effective. The wand sheath only occupies a single arm.

Hiro Quester
2015-05-05, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure you can have a wondrous item like this in your right bracer slot and a totally different bracer-type item in the other. Usually bracers are a pair or nothing kind of deal. I'd say your pair of bracers could put one effect in each hand easily, though.

But would it be better to just put a wand sheath in each forearm, since the rule just says it sits in your forearm "occupying the space of a bracer". So theoretically you could wear two of those.

Then use a different wand in each forearm. Added bonus for when you get to higher levels and might want a different effect that scales better and that you might use very often (e.g. "upgrade" to a wand of heriocs that's still very useful at higher levels).

lytokk
2015-05-06, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure you can have a wondrous item like this in your right bracer slot and a totally different bracer-type item in the other. Usually bracers are a pair or nothing kind of deal. I'd say your pair of bracers could put one effect in each hand easily, though.

But would it be better to just put a wand sheath in each forearm, since the rule just says it sits in your forearm "occupying the space of a bracer". So theoretically you could wear two of those.

Then use a different wand in each forearm. Added bonus for when you get to higher levels and might want a different effect that scales better and that you might use very often (e.g. "upgrade" to a wand of heriocs that's still very useful at higher levels).

Well, I had planned on making a dual chambered wand sheath, but It may be easier to just put it in a second arm.

The problem with making these bracers into gloves was that I had been planning on putting on a battlefist, and I'm not even sure what slot that takes up. Its a spiked guantlet, (hand) that covers the arm (bracer) and its a weapon which isn't a slot but still, possible third slot. Unless I could put these enchantments onto a battlefist? Is there even a weapon in existance with the ability to cast spells/day?