PDA

View Full Version : Reaping Mauler question

Holocron Coder
2007-04-18, 11:46 AM
I was looking at the Reaping Mauler from the Complete Warrior, when I noticed that something didn't quite make sense. Why are the two abilities Sleeper Lock and Devastating Grapple dependent on his wisdom modifier for setting the DC? Shouldn't it be the Strength modifier?

Basically, I'm asking if there was errata or dicussion over this. Alternately, if someone could come up with a decent reason to use Wisdom, that would be nice as well.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-18, 02:00 PM
Fluff:
It is not just about applying Strength to the target, it is also about technique and knowing just were to squeeze.

Mechanics:
Balance.

Tweekinator
2007-04-18, 03:34 PM
Wisdom works mechanically as balancing mechanism, adding a little MAD to the build, and Wisdom, as well as all the abilities dependent on light or no armor, lends it to a monk prestige class.

I can't see a clear fluff reason. I don't think it's knowing just where to squeeze, that seems like an Int thing, but maybe instinctively reacting to the movements of the pinee.

Holocron Coder
2007-04-18, 04:40 PM
I can possibly see a balance side to the whole deal, but a normal fighter would have a DC 15 - 19, even at 20th level. It seems somewhat nerfed.

Fluff-wise, knowing the "technique" would be more of the training the class gets, not the Wisdom. Wisdom is more inherent. You ARE that strong, you ARE that intelligent, you ARE that charismatic, you ARE that wise. General wisdom wouldn't lend itself to "how to best knock someone out through grappling" IMHO.

But yeah, I guess crunch makes sense...

Person_Man
2007-04-18, 04:42 PM
I agree with Silvanos. I'm also guessing that Reaping Mauler was written to be a Monk PrC. Thus its abilities are linked to Wisdom, even though crunch wise it would be a far superior PrC if they were linked to Str.

If you want an uber grapple PC, I have several Justicar builds floating around.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-18, 08:41 PM
yeah, the monk idea makes the most sense. boy what can't monks use wisdom for?