PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Potion rules question

Farmerbink
2015-05-05, 10:37 AM
Talking Pathfinder, just FYI.

So here's my concern: everything I've ever read is that retrieving a stores item is a move action.

Drinking a potion is explicitly a standard action.

Are there any rules as written anywhere that make a distinction regarding where the potion is? I have, on numerous occasions, effectively used a full round action (+5-foot step) to retrieve and drink a potion. That's how it works, right?

(I've heard an argument that stuff in a belt pouch is "readied," and thus a free or swift action to retrieve. I can't find any rulings to support it, so here I am)

Maglubiyet
2015-05-05, 10:49 AM
http://cdn.epicski.com/d/d4/d4c41e11_Beer-Hat-Beer-Helmet-pic-3.jpg

Seems like one of these would count as "readied" (sorry, I couldn't resist).

I don't count a potion as requiring a "ready" move or retrieval. It's assumed you have combat-necessary items handy somewhere -- on your belt, in a pouch or pocket -- NOT buried in the bottom of your backpack. I only require a single standard action to drink/apply one.

As far as rules, I don't think it specifies anywhere whether you need to retrieve and then drink or just drink. It seems excessive to me to require the move action + standard action to use a potion.

Farmerbink
2015-05-05, 11:35 AM
As far as rules, I don't think it specifies anywhere whether you need to retrieve and then drink or just drink. It seems excessive to me to require the move action + standard action to use a potion.

For what it's worth, I agree that it seems excessive, and that it would make sense to have common or "emergency" items close at hand. However, what I'm more concerned about at this point is the rules, as written. It seems obvious, to me, when your hands are full of weapons, that you have to do something to "retrieve" the potion...

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-05, 11:45 AM
http://cdn.epicski.com/d/d4/d4c41e11_Beer-Hat-Beer-Helmet-pic-3.jpg

Seems like one of these would count as "readied" (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Reminds me of an idea from one of the third-party supplements I have (PC Pearls by Goodman Games) that suggests acquiring a baby goblin and have it ride on your shoulders, passing potions to you as you need them.

Yomega
2015-05-05, 11:59 AM
Well theres always this potion glutton (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/potion-glutton) to speed it up altho it conflicts with raw.

Source d20pfsrd (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/potions)
Activation: Drinking a potion or applying an oil requires no special skill. The user merely removes the stopper and swallows the potion or smears on the oil. The following rules govern potion and oil use.

Drinking a potion or using an oil is a standard action. The potion or oil takes effect immediately. Using a potion or oil provokes attacks of opportunity. An enemy may direct an attack of opportunity against the potion or oil container rather than against the character. A successful attack of this sort can destroy the container, preventing the character from drinking the potion or applying the oil.

A creature must be able to swallow a potion or smear on an oil. Because of this, incorporeal creatures cannot use potions or oils. Any corporeal creature can imbibe a potion or use an oil.

A character can carefully administer a potion to an unconscious creature as a full-round action, trickling the liquid down the creature's throat. Likewise, it takes a full-round action to apply an oil to an unconscious creature.
And the trait accelerated drinker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/combat-traits/accelerated-drinker) could help as well.

--

For potion glutton the only part that conflicts with raw is the "normal" section of the feat description not the feat itself.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-05, 10:09 PM
For what it's worth, I agree that it seems excessive, and that it would make sense to have common or "emergency" items close at hand. However, what I'm more concerned about at this point is the rules, as written. It seems obvious, to me, when your hands are full of weapons, that you have to do something to "retrieve" the potion...

I agree...in theory. But you've gotta balance the cost to the benefit. You're already giving up an attack, provoking an attack of opportunity, and you're providing your opponent with the chance to knock the potion out of your hand. All for what -- healing one round's worth of damage or a +2 deflection bonus?

Readying material spell components is a free action. That can involve pulling small eggs, pebbles, and vials of powder out of a pouch of some sort. I don't see why retrieving a flask of potion would be any harder.

Farmerbink
2015-05-06, 05:43 AM
I agree...in theory. But you've gotta balance the cost to the benefit. You're already giving up an attack, provoking an attack of opportunity, and you're providing your opponent with the chance to knock the potion out of your hand. All for what -- healing one round's worth of damage or a +2 deflection bonus?

Readying material spell components is a free action. That can involve pulling small eggs, pebbles, and vials of powder out of a pouch of some sort. I don't see why retrieving a flask of potion would be any harder.

I agree, it's a horrible trade. I'm not asking about whether it *should* work one way or another. In asking for any clear ruling either way, in Paizo-published text.

Ashtagon
2015-05-06, 07:32 AM
iirc, Complete Scoundrel or its ilk has some kind of potion-readying item, which if it exists s I think it does, would imply that standard belts still require move actions to draw a potion from.

Note that even a sword in its scabbard tied to a belt is still a move action to ready. It seems improbable that a potion would take less time than that.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-06, 08:04 AM
It's a good question. I can't remember ever seeing anything about it, and I've unsuccessfully searched since you posted this thread. They probably took it for granted, one way or another.

In defense of using a move action to retrieve and ready a potion:

RAW require a move action to retrieve a stored item.

In defense of not using a move action to retrieve and ready a potion:

Drawing ammo is a free action. I've never seen any rules that require you, for example, to take any action other than a standard action (attack) to throw a shuriken while wielding a 2h weapon.
Retrieving spell components from a pouch is a free action. A wizard could be carrying a staff and still only use a standard action to cast a spell with material components.

Flickerdart
2015-05-06, 10:51 AM
It seems obvious, to me, when your hands are full of weapons, that you have to do something to "retrieve" the potion...
Sheathing a weapon is another move action (unless PF changed that?), so if you're wielding two swords and want to continue being the owner of two swords, you'll need two move actions (one to sheathe, and one to draw the potion). If you're fine with being a one-sword wonder, you can simply drop your least favourite sword.

I would say that given the acrobatics an adventurer usually employs, any non-special container (one that doesn't explicitly call out that pulling potions from it is a faster action) would have to secure the potion so well that you do need the move action to unfasten the potion and pull it out.

Farmerbink
2015-05-06, 12:03 PM
Sheathing a weapon is another move action (unless PF changed that?), so if you're wielding two swords and want to continue being the owner of two swords, you'll need two move actions (one to sheathe, and one to draw the potion). If you're fine with being a one-sword wonder, you can simply drop your least favourite sword.

Sadly, this is just another reason that the rules just flat don't support dual-wielding. I've been trying to build an effective dex-based striker for the last week or so. Everything I try proves simply incomparable to a str-based striker. And now this.

#ughPaizo.

Deophaun
2015-05-06, 12:25 PM
(I've heard an argument that stuff in a belt pouch is "readied," and thus a free or swift action to retrieve. I can't find any rulings to support it, so here I am)
The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting has a potion belt that allows you to draw one potion a round as a free action.