PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Iron Gods: You Are (Not) Alone In Character

Amazo
2015-05-05, 12:48 PM
Maatook sat impatiently and alone at the only occupied table in The Foundry. Despite all of her earlier pestering for Maatook to assist her with her idea to leave notices around town for would-be adventurers, even Val had left the hulking man to his thoughts. An errand runner from the Evercandle Inn had left them hopeful for as many as three interested individuals, but that was some hours ago. "Maybe they thought we meant the actual foundry?" she had proposed. She promised to be back soon after making sure their father's metallurgy foundry next door was still securely locked and free of their expected guests and retrieving some bedding from their home behind the two buildings for them if they did show. Even that must have been an hour ago, so Val may truly have abandoned him. His only company were the soft noises of a number of his father's inventions around the bar. A spinning arrangement of metal blades overhead to create a gentle, pleasant breeze. A faintly buzzing torches shedding their artificial light around the empty hall. Maatook remembered hammering the sheets of metal salvaged from the junkyard for his father. The wizard had thought covering up his windows entirely would be a brilliant way to demonstrate the utility of his new invention. His son still remembers fondly that afternoon of hard work alongside his sister as his much less physically capable father offered them a refreshment from the bar.

Just as the memories threaten to consume his senses entirely, his eyes spot someone casting shadows under the door. Indeed, outside the tavern, three individuals are approaching the building: as fate would have it, the same three potential rescuers the errand boy had foretold. The three spot each other first on their approach, but as they continue to move, it becomes clear they are all making for the same door. One of them moves with an airy lightness that only seems to be accentuated by her loose traveller's garb. Another seems ever ready to bolt into whatever action the situation may call for, a lifetime of conflict teaching him not to trust a situation based on what he thinks he knows. Finally, a woman obscured by a heavy cloak, her secrecy thankfully not robbed of her by the cold glow that occasionally graces the patterns across her face. Soon enough, the three are close enough that they must interact if they wish to reach their mutual goal of the door without appearing overtly suspicious to the others. It would seem introductions are in order.

IndianaO'Grimes
2015-05-06, 06:56 PM
The man is tall and slender, and his blue eyes bounce back and forth between the other two. His skin is pale, and his light brown hair reaches about halfway down his neck, with the front strands swept behind his ears. He wears a dark brown tunic, that looks slightly dark red in certain light, and his dark brown pants extend to his shoes. He wears a belt, through which a rapier and more than several daggers rest. Over his tunic, he wears a dark brown coat. His hand creeps to the hilt of his rapier, but he does not move to take it out.

So you two are part of the rescue party as well? His mouth lifts up into a smirk.

Well at least I know that I won't die alone. Name's Sherrin Hurne. He says, each word coming out of his mouth right at the heels of the other, while he extends his right hand to shake their hands.

Mr. Turniphead
2015-05-06, 08:46 PM
The hooded woman stops well short of the door as the other two people approach, her hand gesturing to the door politely. When the man speaks, she looks at him with a sort of startled surprise, as if not expecting to be acknowledged.

Bright green eyes scanned the other two searchingly. Talia was of average height, with a pretty face and pale skin, and moved with a precise grace as if she were about to start dancing. Now that she was visible from straight on, under her cloak she wore a loose white shirt underneath a snug dark leather vest over a pair of brown breeches. The cloak was a dark gray shade, and she wore boots that did not quite match after close inspection. Overall she gave off an air of heightened vigilance.

"If death is to take us all, then we will be doing little good for Khonnir Baine." Her voice was sharp and clear, with an odd lilt from an accent that seemed quite foreign.

She paused, then, realizing she should say more, "You may call me Talia."

Starbin
2015-05-07, 03:02 PM
Maatook sat, lost in reverie as he thought back to the loss of the flame. He knew his father would want to be at the forefront of investigating what was going on, but the warrior had hoped Khonnir would wait until the patrol had returned before going out again. Val probably thought he was mad at her, but Maatook knew his da' well enough to realize the man would not be stopped by something as simple as reason and logic - especially not where the well-being of the town was at stake. No, Maatook was angry at the situation - he felt powerless, unable to protect his family ... hell, even now he sat waiting for others to come, least he turn up missing, too!

As he wondered how long it would be, he saw shadows at the door and could hear muted voices on the other side. He waited for a few moments, but eventually his anxiousness got the best of him and walked across the room in just a few strides and flung open the door. Seeing the three figures, he paused for a moment, recognizing one of them, then he waved all three to enter. "No need to stand outside. Come in, come in. I hope you're here to help find my father?" To the man entering, he nodded, murmuring "Sherrin. Glad you could make it."

Once they came in, he introduced himself. "Hail and well met. I am Maatook, and my sister Val is somewhere about, trying to gather people for a search party. While I know Sherrin here, I do not know the rest of you..." He left the unspoken implication hanging ...

(OOC - Hopefully that doesn't push it too fast ... let me now and I can edit)

OrganicEvil
2015-05-07, 06:16 PM
"Malena Veith," the sylph said. Her voice, while soft and faintly musical, had a surprising depth to it, and though her time in Korvosa had dulled the corners of her Chelish accent somewhat, it was still quite pronounced. "I am sorry for your pain, Maatook, and for your family's. I did not know Khonnir Baine well, but he seems a good man, and a great talent in the Art, and I hope that we can--" She cut off with a delighted gasp as she entered the inn. "The air," she said as she gazed up at the rotating contraption on the ceiling. "It makes it move, even in here, and..." She paused, muttering under her breath and gesturing precisely with her left hand. "...Yes, as I thought," she continued. "Not magic. Something mechanical." She turned to Maatook. "It is beautiful," she said. "We will find your father, Maatook. The world is a better place for him." Perched on her left shoulder, Zalath shifted slightly.

Mr. Turniphead
2015-05-07, 11:46 PM
The android's lips twist distastefully as she follows the other two inside before she says, "Talia Rahn is my name." A slight dip of the head before she peers at Malena and her reaction to the ceiling fan. She then patiently waits for the other woman to finish speaking.

"Indeed, Khonnir Baine was kind to me at a time when I needed it most. I would be remiss to not repay that kindness now." She then pauses, coughing awkwardly as if unsure whether to proceed. Instead, she pulls her cloak tighter around herself and waits.

IndianaO'Grimes
2015-05-08, 03:24 AM
Yeah, sorry about Khonnir going missing, but I suppose it should be considered an occupational hazard for adventurers. Though it looks like he got his device working before he left. Sherrin states as they enter the room, looking at the machine fixed to the ceiling.

Did he get you or your sister to help with it? Speaking of Val, where is she? He pulls a chair from another table as they gather around the table and sets it to the side of Maatook, leaning back so that the chair stands on two legs while he slips a knife from his belt, flipping it up into the air and catching it while he waits for someone to reply.

Starbin
2015-05-08, 10:30 AM
Nodding in greeting, Maatook ushered he group in, smiling somewhat distractedly at their kind words and offers to help. At Sherrin's question, his smiled tightened. "Not that one, but I've worked with him on many other projects. As for Val, she's still looking around for help, I'm guessing. Anyway, thank you all for coming. I suppose we could wait a few more minutes and see if others are coming ... anyone thirsty?"

He glanced absently at the group, eyes darting to the door periodically, ready to get drinks and/or food for those gathered.

Curious - does Talia look like an android right now? Are androids accepted in Torch, or viewed with suspicion like the book states? Did Khonnir ever work with androids? It will 'color' how Maatook responds.

Mr. Turniphead
2015-05-08, 04:43 PM
"Yes, a drink would be most welcome." She says, looking at the large Kellid man. Her lip quirks down slightly as if she is pondering something.

"You are his son, yes? The resemblance is... uncanny." the android woman adds awkwardly. Seemingly unaware that Maatook was adopted. An attempt at small talk perhaps?

Amazo
2015-05-08, 05:49 PM
Curious - does Talia look like an android right now? Are androids accepted in Torch, or viewed with suspicion like the book states? Did Khonnir ever work with androids? It will 'color' how Maatook responds.

The existence of a free android represents a direct defiance against the will of the Technic League, whose tight economic control over the city Torch chafes at. While they may not be welcomed with particularly open arms, they can rest more easily in Torch than elsewhere in Numeria. Khonnir has definitely worked with androids before as it is the very microscopic creatures that run through androids' veins that maintain some of Khonnir's inventions in working order.

Starbin
2015-05-08, 09:12 PM
Looking up at Talia, focusing on her for the first time, Maatook's frown at her comment softened. "I think the word you are looking for is 'non-existant.' I am adopted. My birth parents were Kellid.

What can I get you to drink?

IndianaO'Grimes
2015-05-08, 11:36 PM
Sherrin smirks as Talia tries to compare Maatook with Khonnir. Well he definitely didn't get Khonnir's build. He waits for Talia to choose which drink she wants, then speaks up.

If you're getting drinks then I'll just have the usual. Sherrin replies as Maatook stands to get the drinks.

So what's the plan, or have you not decided on when you want to tear the caves apart? Sherrin asks, the hint of a smile upon his face.

Mr. Turniphead
2015-05-09, 04:36 AM
Talia's eyebrows arch with Maatook's response, her face flushing slightly. "A-ah... of course." She coughs softly, saying nothing until the Kellid man asks her what she wants to drink.

"Something to take the taste of my foot out of my mouth." she mutters.

Starbin
2015-05-09, 09:24 AM
Maatook shrugged his shoulders apologetically at the drink requests. "I ... uh ... don't pay much attentiom to the bar side of the Foundry. Uh, is it iron ale?". Barring any changes, Maatook went to the back and after a few long moments, he returned with a pitcher of water, one of ale, a caraff of red wine and some glasses all on a tray..

With a sigh, he sat down, letting the others get there drinks. He passed over Talia's awkwardness with a wave and turned to Sherrin. "I'd be there now if Val hadn't stopped me. Said we needed to be organized, not rush in. But this is our da', yeah?"

It was obvious he was anxious and tense.

Just biding time until someone with more background info comes in :smallsmile:

OrganicEvil
2015-05-09, 06:01 PM
"Oh," Malena said. "Drinks, yes. Water's fine for me, but the bird likes... Well, what's the strongest thing you have?"

Malena sat and filled a glass from the pitcher. "I know you are about your father, Maatook, but your sister's right. Rushing in won't solve anything. I do mean this in the best possible way, but, well, anything capable of keeping a wizard of Khonnir's obvious talent from coming home would flatten you." She took a sip of water. "No, we need to go about this intelligently. We will find him, but we help nobody by rushing in unprepared."

Starbin
2015-05-11, 02:11 PM
Maatook shook his head. "I don't know what the strongest is ... probably some firewater in the back. Give him some ale, though ... should be stronger than the wine."

He reached over to pour his own water, taking a long drink before setting down his glass and staring at Malina. "I know what the smart play is ... it just doesn't make me feel any better. But if you think whatever took my dad is so powerful, why are you here? I don't know what we find, but I need everyone who's going to be fully committed ... and not expecting us to fail!"

Maatook wasn't made, but he was passionate - a poor attitude going in might get them killed!

Mother's day was good - brunch, mall, movies ... all fun stuff! I guess I just didn't have anything really to say. I figure this is an opportunity for us to 'get to know each other' but I don't want it to slow the game down as we keep waiting for someone else to say something :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Turniphead
2015-05-11, 02:42 PM
"Yes, let us look at this logically... I think it is safe to say we may be it for the rescue party. So what will we need to get down there? Should we head to the town hall and speak to someone in charge?" She takes a sip of her water, before adjusting her hood carefully.

IndianaO'Grimes
2015-05-12, 07:30 AM
Iron Ale will be fine, Took.

At Talia's statement, Sherrin leans forward.Well, first of all, where was Khonnir last seen? On that expedition, right? So who went with him? How many people went down? Once we figure out possible reasons for his disappearance, then we can figure out what we might expect when we try to find him.

Amazo
2015-05-12, 12:48 PM
Anyone who had previously searched for rumors regarding the fate of other adventuring parties that attempted to explore the cavern besides Khonnir's expeditions learns the same chilling fact disseminated by the survivors of his first expedition: the three parties that entered before they did were all dead. Since there have been another two parties that have descended to explore who haven't returned in addition to Khonnir's second one, hope seems slim that he still lives, but if any of the people who went down there had the wit to survive this long while waiting for a rescue, it's Khonnir.

Starbin
2015-05-14, 07:11 AM
Maatook shook his head again. "I don't need permission to go find my father. Nobody else has returned alive, so there are no witnesses, but there are some written accounts from my father. Unless you have gills, we will need a boon or two from the priests, since there's a section 50' long and underwater. Besides that, the only thing I'm waiting for is enough folks to help me."

With a nod to Malena, he said, "I'm not a fool. I want to help my da', but rushing of to die doesn't help anyone. But I'm not going to wait for weeks, hoping that others build up enough courage to venture down there. The council has offered four thousand gold to anyone returning with proof about my da's fate, but I'm obviously not in this for the money. If this is all we have, then so be it."

I wanted Maatook's name to be pronounced 'Mah-Took' ... so the nickname most likely would be Took ... or M'took almost slurred together.

Of course, if everyone else DIED, four people might be a little light :smallsmile:

Reposted to rewicker M's statements.

IndianaO'Grimes
2015-05-19, 06:19 AM
With a nod at Maatook's words, Sherrin stands and deftly slips his knife back into his belt. If everyone is in agreement that we should go, then we'd better get moving. The longer we wait, the more chance harm will befall those in the caves, and none of us want that.

He pushes his chair back and turns to the door. Let's move

Amazo
2015-05-21, 03:06 PM
Your course of action decided, you stand from your seats with new purpose. The empty tavern seems less foreboding now, as if the throngs of visitors were merely taking a break from the place instead of abandoning it completely in the wake of Khonnir's disappearance. However, as you make your way to the door in relative silence, a terrified scream pierces the air coming from out behind the tavern. You can all tell the voice's owner to be female, but Maatook recognizes something more. It's Val!

Starbin
2015-05-22, 11:23 AM
Maatook was looking around, checking before locking up, when the scream came from the back. He recognized the voice and wasted no time in rushing out back, his weapon at the ready.

Sorry for the short post, but we know Maatook will go to her 'rescue' ... :smallbiggrin:

Amazo
2015-05-23, 05:53 PM
You rush past the bar to the back entrance of the tavern to respond to whatever elicited the scream. Throwing open the latch on the door and looking outside you see nothing immediately out of the ordinary as Khonnir's family's small stonework abode comes into view. However, at that moment, one of the stones of the wall facing you is smoothly and evenly pulled inward into the building, as if the setting and the surrounding stones weren't there at all to impede its egress. A brief flash of light shines from within, likely reflected from the sun overhead, but the intruder otherwise gives no clue about himself. You can hear scrambling, uneven footsteps rushing towards the home's door and you beyond it. A similar instant of unlatching halts whoever it is, but in a moment, you see Val standing in the doorframe, shaken and uneasy. "It's alive!" she shouts, pointing an unsteady finger back into the home. "And it's tearing our home apart!"

IndianaO'Grimes
2015-05-26, 06:30 AM
Sherrin rushes to the house along with the rest of the group, removing his rapier from the scabbard as he does so. At Val's words he cranes his neck to look inside, before moving into the house, to get a better look at what she's talking about.

Should we roll initiative?

Starbin
2015-05-26, 09:14 AM
Maatook sighed inwardly in relief at seeing Val alive, but outwardly he frowned. "What are you talking about, Val? What is tearing the house apart?"

With his long blade drawn and ready, Maatook moved towards the back of the house, watching closely for signs of whatever Val had seen. If something were trying to destroy what Khonnir Baine had built, he would show them the error in their decision.

Sorry about the delay - long weekend away, but I'm back and ready to go!

Weapon drawn as he moves forward ... not sure if we're in combat yet or not, but I'll throw done an initiative ... just in case :smallsmile:
[roll0] ... and a [roll1]

Status
AC: 16 HPs: 14/14
F +4 R +2 W +2
Effects: none

Amazo
2015-05-26, 08:39 PM
Maatook's answer comes from what he sees as he peers through an open window. He spots a five foot tall greyish metallic thing walking about on three spider-like legs ending in sharp points. The unusual legs give way to a smooth, somewhat humanoid torso save for its lack of a head. Small portions of its body are dented in while some dents actually puncture it, revealing what looks like tangled masses of colored twine within. Instead of a head, one red eye glows faintly from where a neck would normally be, staring directly at Sherrin two rooms away at the home's entrance. Despite Val's commotion and Maatook and Sherrin's presence, the creature does not make any overtly threatening movements. It turns to continue inspecting the wall it apaprently removed a stone from earlier. When it selects its next target, one of its fingers begins to spin, drilling like an arrowhead in flight. It brings the digit to the filling binding the stones together and files it away almost instantly before grasping its chosen stone with both hands and wrenching it free with ease. It turns away from Sherrin with its prize to set the stone atop what Maatook sees through a window to be a growing pile in the corner of the room. Then the creature turns to inspect the wall once again.

Val speaks up, "I told him he should've taken it apart when he had the chance! If he could see what this thing was capable of he never would have gone back down there!"

It's not quite necessary yet, as you can avoid a combat here if you play your cards right, but go ahead and roll it just so it's set up in case we need it.

IndianaO'Grimes
2015-05-27, 03:42 AM
Sherrin looks at the thing in wonder, standing in the doorway for a few seconds before being brought back to reality by Val. At her urging, he slowly moves into the house, attempting to get closer to the thing without making too much noise. What are you? he mutters, attempting to sift through his memory to recognise what the thing could be and find any weak spots. Could I use a Knowledge(Engineering) check to attempt to figure out what it is or find a weak point? If so, here's the check: Know(Eng): [roll0]

Amazo
2015-05-27, 02:21 PM
Though creatures like this are not particularly uncommon in Numeria, Sherrin has difficulty recalling any useful bits of information regarding this robot. Despite this, the thing does appear to have bits of its innard exposed through its broken form. Surely they must be important if they were hidden beneath the thing's armored skin?

At being addressed, the construct does not falter in its actions at all, but it does begin trying to communicate. Sherrin recognizes the foreign sounds and rhythms of the language as being one common amidst higher ranking members of the Technic League and the wealthy of Numeria.

Unfortunately it's not enough to identify the creature, but engineering would be it. Its exposed what-you-may-assume-to-be vitals are vulnerable to called shots (-2 penalty to hit), but you don't know what effect striking them will have.

Starbin
2015-05-27, 02:51 PM
Maatook growled, "Hells bells, how did that thing get here?" Moving forward cautiously, he tried to see if there was a switch or level he could pull or push or turn to shut the thing down. If not, perhaps a sword thrust into the exposed opening would do the trick ...

"Anyone know enough about these things to help?" He darted a quick glance, specifically aimed at Talia, before looking back to the ... thing.

Holding off attacking, but here's a perception check for anything of interest : [roll0] ... and I'm not sure if I have KS Engineering, since I can't access my sheet from work, but I'll look later.

Status
F +4 R +2 W +2

IndianaO'Grimes
2015-05-28, 06:32 PM
Sherrin calls out nervously Hey Maatook, are we going to take this down or are we going to try to stop it some other way?. His lack of knowledge removes some of the confidence he held in the tavern, and he desperately tries to stop himself from getting too anxious.

Starbin
2015-06-03, 10:40 AM
Maatook wasn't sure exactly how to deal with it, but he'd at least give it a chance ... given his father had apparently brought it back. "Hey, you, metal thing! Stop tearing up our house or I'll have to cut your arms off!" Moving to try and obstruct the machine, Maatook stood at the ready, hoping someone else might have a better idea, but not willing to let this thing keep destroying the house.

Hope someone else can speak Machine ... Maatook can't!

Status
F +4 R +2 W +2

IndianaO'Grimes
2015-06-04, 06:52 PM
Sherrin nervously looks to Maatook, before taking a few calming breaths, or attempts at calming breaths anyway, and lunging forward, aiming for one of the exposed parts of the robot.

So, a called shot aimed at one of the exposed wires.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Amazo
2015-06-05, 10:57 PM
Sherrin's rapier skitters harmlessly across the creature's iron carapace. Despite having exposed holes to aim for, the various scuffs, dents, and notches adorning its surface make guiding the point of his blade into one a more difficult prospect. The air in the room seems to sizzle with intensity as the machine's glowing eyes emit a much more fierce and luminous red. It's foreign gibberish grows distressed and perhaps angry by the turn of events as it brings its drilling fingers to bear against the two of you!

So here's where initiative starts, but Maatook can act on a surprise round if he wants. The robot isn't hostile until after those first attempts at harming it.

Starbin
2015-06-08, 03:35 PM
(OOC - I'm not sure what to do ... Maatook tried to talk to the thing, but I never got a response. None of us have the knowledge (or made the check) to figure out how to 'turn it off' so I guess we're bound for combat. If I misread something, let me know)

With the thing looking for all the world like a berserk creature and Sherrin already moving to attack, Maatook decided to stop playing around and act. With a flash of purpose, his arms swelled as he stepped forward and swiftly brought his blade down in an arcing blow, powered by his adrenaline ...

Rage, then attack (w/power attack).
[roll0], [roll1]
EDIT: (29 dam if 16 confirms and it can be critted)

Status
AC: 18 HPs: 14/14
F +4 R +4 W +4
Effects: rage (+4 Str/Dex, +2 Will [morale]); power attack (-1 att / +3 dam [untyped])

Amazo
2015-06-08, 05:09 PM
Maatook's mighty blow splits the steel of the thing's carapace along an unseen seam. The vicious grinding sound that accompanies the impact does nothing to dissuade him as his swing rends neatly through the delicate underlying circuitry. The robot has only but a brief moment to continue its shrieking in its foreign tongue before it loses the strength to stand entirely. With a series of metallic clangs, it falls, immediately motionless, to the stone floor. The absence of the red light previously issuing from its eyes is the final indicator that it is truly slain.

Val rushes back into the room to see the source of the commotion, hands empty of the few sheets she was holding onto when she opened the door in a panic earlier. She looks first at the corpse on the floor than to the weapon most likely to have caused the wound. The smile lights up her blue eyes before it reaches her lips. "You did it!" She exclaims. She offers a hug while continuing to explain with a bit of solemnity, "I was going to try to zap it with one of the cantrips dad taught me, but once those drills started going I lost myself. Losing this place right after dad getting lost, it all would've been the end of me." Her head inclines to Sherrin, "Thank you," then to Maatook, "Both of you..."

The lack of response was written-in actually. It only understood Androffan, like most robots, and it's malfunctions were making it particularly unresponsive.

IndianaO'Grimes
2015-06-08, 06:38 PM
Sherrin looks guiltily towards the pair. Well, I didn't really do anything, unless you count distracting it as something. Maatook did all the work. He turns to look at the machine. I'm assuming Khonnir would want to keep it, for scrap if nothing else. Turning to Maatook, he slides his rapier back into his belt. If we're going to find Khonnir, we should probably leave now.

Starbin
2015-06-11, 12:48 PM
Maatook dropped the tip of his blade with a heavy sigh, breathing heavily for a moment as he collected himself. Checking his blade, he sheathed it and went to check the inanimate body for a moment before nodding to Sherrin and helping to put the android in a safer place. Turning back to the others, he shook his head. "Well, if there's nothing else to worry about, I think you're right - we should get over to the Council and see if they have any further information. If everyone has their gear, let's get a move on ..."

Release the rage, help stow the body, check it for anything unusual. Then off to get this quest started!

Status
AC: 18 HPs: 14/14 Rage 5/6
F +4 R +4 W +4
Effects:

**Note - I'll be on vacation until next week, with limited posting. Bot as necessary!

Amazo
2015-06-12, 11:45 PM
With that, Malena and Talia join you in Khonnir's home with some sheepish looks on their faces. Lacking understanding of the need for some pleasantries, Talia speaks first and rather bluntly, "We won't be joining you from here on."

The wispy humanoid beside her appears irked by the forthrightness of it, but says nothing to correct her. With a hand to her quirked brow, she adds, "Yes, unfortunately we've found that undertaking any more dangerous courses of action than this would not be very beneficial to either of us." She shoots one last irritated glance at Talia before adding lightly, "For different reasons..."

Talia elaborates, "The discovery of technology beneath Torch means that word will eventually spread to the Technic League, who will no doubt come to collect it as tribute for the Black Sovereign. If I remain by the time they arrive, my personhood is in danger. They do not believe us to be in possession of what is called a soul." Her bitterness matches Malena's, but she seems to have grown resolute since walking in.

Malena's palm falls to idly stroke a spellbook hanging from a chain at her waist, beneath her cloak. "I'm afraid I can't be quite as direct with my reasons, but they are similar. Someone's looking for me too, and this will bring them running. We both need to make ourselves scarce if we want to hold onto our lives."

Val's heart sinks visibly into the pit of her stomach. She evidently can't believe that the one idea she had put so much stock into for rescuing her father had only managed to turn up one trustworthy man. Malena's grimace returns as she goes to offer a hand in consolation, but Val turns it away, almost in tears. "Then go!" she bellows. "Get out of his house if you're not going to help him!"

A tense but silent moment follows with the two women departing, the sound of their shoes the only sensory input of them remaining for a moment. The time hangs heavily, breathing almost seems too rude to interrupt with. Val lets out another anguished yelp before demanding of no one in particular, "Then what now!? I just wait? I can't lose you too, Took!"

Starbin
2015-06-15, 12:13 AM
When the women excused themselves from the quest, Maatook followed them to the door, wincing at Val's vitriolic response. He whispered to them, "There is no shame in self-preservation. I appreciate you speaking your mind now, rather than halfway through battle. Farewell ... and I hope you find sanctuary."

Returning to the room, he walked over and hugged his sister, patting her gently on the back. "Calm down. Stop mourning for me like I'm already dead. We are better off with fewer people who are committed than worrying about those of a half-heart. Now, let's see what the town council has to say ..."

Ready to move onward!

Status
AC: 18 HPs: 14/14 Rage 5/6
F +4 R +4 W +4
Effects:

**Note - I'm on vacation until Friady, with limited posting. Bot if necessary!

Amazo
2015-06-15, 11:30 AM
Val seems surprised at being reprimanded for her concern, but eventually nods in agreement with Took's assessment of the odds. She volunteers to stay behind and start making a few makeshift repairs to the home in light of the robot's alterations while Sherrin and her brother go to the town council's hall to get Khonnir's rescue well and truly underway. Without further delay, the two of you make your way towards the center of town to a building you have had no particular cause to enter previously but know quite well nevertheless. The building has as much of an official, nearly regal, bearing as can be afforded such an important municipal structure in a town of as relatively restricted means as Torch. Its outer walls are crafted, or at least plated, almost entirely with some alloy of starmetal, but even a casual eye can spot some sections made of much more mundane steel. Whether these sections are due to the eventual need for repairs on the building over the hundred years it has stood or because the prospectors' estimations of the vein of starmetal used in its construction were a bit generous, it is difficult for most to say for sure.

Regardless, your feet carry you up the few stone steps between the street and building's hand carved, tall wooden doors, each adorned with two square wooden reliefs of a hand holding a torch shedding a bright light. Despite their size, they open easily and inside you find the natural light of the tall windows of the building supplemented by candlelight at regular intervals even now during the middle of the day. Inside the spacious main chamber of the town hall, usually reserved for the council to debate legal matters publicly and to hear testimony and grievances from citizens, sits but a single aged dwarf woman. She wrings her hands idly as she sits awkwardly in one of the spectator's seats which ring around the space instead of at the council's table towards the head of the room. Even so, you know this woman is Dolga Freddert, the oldest member of the council and one of the few surviving founders of Torch. Upon seeing you, her hands still and she offers a polite smile as she addresses you. "Finally, someone between with half lick of courage between them. I was beginning to think I'd have to tell the others we'd have to start sending militiamen down there if no one took up the offer."

As she more closely examines who exactly has come calling, she adds, "And who should be more appropriate to lead the charge than our dear Khonnir's son himself. Good to see you, Maatook." She shakes his hand with gusto, but Took chafes under the recognition. "And, Sherrin, I believe, yes? I'd ask if you were still keeping out of trouble, but if you're here for what I think you are, you seem to have found another sort entirely." A small laugh accompany her smile and words, but you can see she is all business in her eyes. "How can I help you lads?"

Starbin
2015-06-19, 08:59 AM
Maatook nodded to the woman, a strained smile on his face as he extricated his hand from her vigorous shaking. "Well met, Dolga. We are here to look for my da and rumors have it there is a long stretch of the trail that is under water. We seek blessings to allow us to breath in water ... as well as any information you might have on the previous expeditions.

Also, are there no others ready to answer the call?" He glanced around in disappointment, then steeled himself for the journey ahead.

Back in action!

Status
AC: 16 HPs: 14/14 Rage 5/6
F +4 R +2 W +2

Amazo
2015-06-20, 10:34 AM
Maatook nodded to the woman, a strained smile on his face as he extricated his hand from her vigorous shaking. "Well met, Dolga. We are here to look for my da and rumors have it there is a long stretch of the trail that is under water. We seek blessings to allow us to breath in water ... as well as any information you might have on the previous expeditions."

"We've just the thing fer that need, young Took. Councilman Kyte's in possession of a metamagic rod that'll keep his casting of a water breathing spell going much longer'n normal. You'll find him at Crowfeather Palace, right on the way to the lake where the entrance to the cave is. Joram's in there running the purification plant like always now that Khonnir isn't around to make sure it's goin'. As fer the other parties, the only folks to come back alive from those caverns were yer da and his allies. They said they ran into some skulks, but that Khonnir managed to scare them off. That does mean that there's an entrance to the Darklands down there somewhere. I'd steer clear o' that if I had the chance. Besides them, we lost two adventuring parties, one of humans and one of halflings, and a bunch of the local street toughs, though we're not exactly mourning their disappearances..."

"Also, are there no others ready to answer the call?" He glanced around in disappointment, then steeled himself for the journey ahead.

"Bah, cowards, the lot of them. I even had the town criers start doing rounds this morning offering a 20% discount on anything they buy to help with the effort. I've not even had one soul come in and try to lie to me about it just for the free money! This thing's got people scared. Even the adventures coming in from out of town are just passing through, and without the torch, it won't be long before they just stop coming entirely if their special smithing needs aren't going to be met! I'll give you one of the notices if you need. We'll be paying everyone the difference on what the discounts for out of the treasury, but I'm sure some of the shopkeeps still won't be happy about it. Something with an official seal and signature ought to grease the wheels a bit there though."

Starbin
2015-06-23, 07:18 AM
Maatook nodded solemnly, knowing that the official seal would go a long way to forcing the merchants to keep their promises. He was frustrated that no one else had come to the call, but it simply meant that he needed to be that much more focused to ensure his da's return. "Sounds good, Dolga. I'm guessin' if were' it, then we'd best stop wasting time; hoping for more won't bring my da back any sooner. We'll take those documents, and we'll head over to see the Councilman before we leave. Thanks for all your advice ... and if you get the chance, could you check in on Val every so often? I don't know how long this will take, but with the tavern and house empty, I'm sure she'll be feeling lonely."

Turning to Sherrin, he adjusted his pack and nodded his head. "You ready?"

Ready to go - onward!

Status
AC: 16 HPs: 14/14 Rage 5/6
F +4 R +2 W +2