PDA

View Full Version : Karmic Strike + AoO + Disarm or Trip = ???

Rubik
2015-05-05, 02:10 PM
Okay, so your character has the Karmic Strike feat, which allows you to reduce your AC by 4 in order to make an attack of opportunity against any foe who hits you. Simple enough.

But attacks of opportunity explicitly take place before the actions that provoked them.

So what happens if you use your attack of opportunity to, say, disarm your foe of the weapon he's using to hit you? What if your weapon has a stunning effect on a critical hit that he fails his save against? What if you kill him using your attack of opportunity?

If your AoO reduces your opponent's attack's effectiveness, or it disables or kills him prior to his making his attack, does he still provoke the AoO you used to disable or kill him? Would this cause a paradox which creates a black hole in the distant past that destroys the Prime Material Plane, causing the entire multiverse to spin out of control, killing everything that is, was, or ever will be in a flurry of obliterated catgirls?!?!

...my head hurts. :smallfrown:

Flickerdart
2015-05-05, 02:16 PM
If the action that provoked becomes illegal, it fails. Your AoO is not undone.

Rubik
2015-05-05, 02:21 PM
If the action that provoked becomes illegal, it fails. Your AoO is not undone.Oh.

Well, that's okay, then.

Deophaun
2015-05-05, 02:38 PM
If the action that provoked becomes illegal, it fails. Your AoO is not undone.
It doesn't actually fail. The target is free to change his action once the action he was going to take becomes illegal, because he hasn't done it yet. So he is free to draw another weapon as part of that move action and hit you with that.

paranoidbox
2015-05-05, 04:11 PM
I have always interpreted Karmic Strike's attack of opportunity to take place at the same time as you getting hit. It doesn't entirely make sense to me otherwise: You may make the AoO because the opponent hits you but then do it before he actually hits you?

In addition, both the name and the flavor text in the CWar suggest that you get the AoO because of the hit you somewhat voluntarily took.

Btw, I don't see the rule that says AoO's "explicitly take place before the actions that provoked them"... Could you, or anyone, quote me the rulestext to this?

Flickerdart
2015-05-05, 04:44 PM
You may make the AoO because the opponent hits you but then do it before he actually hits you?
All AoOs are like that.

paranoidbox
2015-05-05, 05:17 PM
All AoOs are like that.

#notallAoOs