PDA

View Full Version : Rare Magic Item

JNAProductions
2015-05-05, 04:49 PM
8th level campaign. I get to start with 2 rare magic items. Due to various other reasons, I've settled on a +2 shield for one (AC 27 with it), and I'm currently using a +2 Longsword for the other.

Does anyone have any better ideas for what weapon to use? Mountain Dwarf Barbarian, if that's relevant.

Ralanr
2015-05-05, 04:52 PM
If you're bear totem rager and a resistance ring is rare or lower, I'd recommend a ring of psychic resistance.

BRC
2015-05-05, 04:54 PM
8th level campaign. I get to start with 2 rare magic items. Due to various other reasons, I've settled on a +2 shield for one (AC 27 with it), and I'm currently using a +2 Longsword for the other.

Does anyone have any better ideas for what weapon to use? Mountain Dwarf Barbarian, if that's relevant.

How are you getting 27 AC in fifth edition? Remember, things that change the AC calculation (Like armor, the Mage armor spell, or the Barbarian's Con-to-AC ability) don't stack.

JNAProductions
2015-05-05, 04:56 PM
18 Dexterity, 24 Constitution, +2 AC from a Divine Boon, +2 Shield

10+4+7+2+4

It's a high power campaign.

Ralanr
2015-05-05, 04:58 PM

10+4+7+2+4

Aren't you level 8...how do high powered campaigns work?

JNAProductions
2015-05-05, 04:59 PM
Starting statline of 18s, max stat is 24.

2 rare magic items.

2 Divine Boons.

And a few other goodies I've forgotten, probably.

BRC
2015-05-05, 04:59 PM

10+4+7+2+4

It must be.

I think you can do better than a +2 longsword for your weapon. Maybe an elemental damage effect?

Also, you're starting with super maxed out Con and a very high dexterity. Is your point buy obscenely high enough that you also have 18 strength, or is your Dex higher than your str. If you're dex is higher, it might be worth it to go for a finessable weapon.

JNAProductions
2015-05-05, 05:02 PM
+4 to their maxes, actually.

And yes, it is. I pruposely made a high AC character just so that way I'd be unkillable. (Helps that I'm also the healer of the group, so me living means everyone else lives too.)

20 Strength.

Ralanr
2015-05-05, 05:04 PM

And yes, it is. I pruposely made a high AC character just so that way I'd be unkillable. (Helps that I'm also the healer of the group, so me living means everyone else lives too.)

20 Strength.

Barb healer...doctor fist is in.

BRC
2015-05-05, 05:04 PM

20 Strength.

You're starting with a divine boon, a 20, an 18, and a 24, and two rare magic items, and you're ALSO the healer?

This campaign confuses and scares me.

I'm tempted to recommend you pick up some sort of utility item. Something that can let you fly maybe?

JNAProductions
2015-05-05, 05:06 PM
You're starting with a divine boon, a 20, an 18, and a 24, and two rare magic items, and you're ALSO the healer?

This campaign confuses and scares me.

I'm tempted to recommend you pick up some sort of utility item. Something that can let you fly maybe?
No, I start with a 24, a 20, four 18's, two Divine Boons, two rare magic items, and the Cleric's Life Domain (with full casting progression).

Yeah, I'm sorta scared about what I'll be fighting too.

Any advice for a rare utility item?

Wartex1
2015-05-05, 05:07 PM
Sunblade would be good, and you could also alter your stats to boost your DEX, since Sublade counts as finesse. It's basically a +2 finesse longsword that emits light and deals an extra d8 of damage to undead.

BRC
2015-05-05, 05:09 PM
No, I start with a 24, a 20, four 18's, two Divine Boons, two rare magic items, and the Cleric's Life Domain (with full casting progression).

Yeah, I'm sorta scared about what I'll be fighting too.

Any advice for a rare utility item?
Something that can let you fly.

You know, unless you use the 100,000,000 gp I'm assuming you also start with to just buy yourself a Pegasus or something.

Edit: One more thing, if you're casting spells in combat, pick up the Warcaster feat, so you can cast without dropping your weapon or shield.

Wartex1
2015-05-05, 05:10 PM

You know, unless you use the 100,000,000 gp I'm assuming you also start with to just buy yourself a Pegasus or something.

We're only starting with 2000gp.

Ralanr
2015-05-05, 05:10 PM

Edit: One more thing, if you're casting spells in combat, pick up the Warcaster feat, so you can cast without dropping your weapon or shield.

So either cape of flying or boots of flying.

BRC
2015-05-05, 05:11 PM

Go with a cape, far more stylish.

JNAProductions
2015-05-05, 05:12 PM
I've already got a 25' jump and permenant Spider Climb, so flying is honestly not super needed.

I think I might do the Sunblade.

BRC
2015-05-05, 05:14 PM
I've already got a 25' jump and permenant Spider Climb, so flying is honestly not super needed.

I think I might do the Sunblade.
What do your ranged options look like?

If you've got good ranged attacks, or you're exclusivly going to be fighting in enclosed spaces, you can probably skip flight. If not, considering the boosts the DM is giving you, expect to be fighting things that can fly. You don't want to be stuck on the ground waving your very shiny sword helplessly while the enemy flies around above you.

PhantomRenegade
2015-05-05, 05:17 PM
Flame tongue is a rare weapon (any sword).

Its a flaming sword that deals 2d6 fire damage, it also gives light, which is nice.

The sunblade is also a fun pick, in addition to what was said before its of note that it also gives out light, but keep in mind all sunblade damage is radiant damage, so depending on the setting that might be good or bad.

Edit: Also, i have no idea how your characters spellcasting works but if you're worried about having enough slots for healing a pearl of power will let you regenerate a spell slot up to level 3 once per day, it is a uncommon wonderous item though, dunno if you have a limitation on those.

JNAProductions
2015-05-05, 05:19 PM
Flametongue is nice. It's a lot better damage, and combined with Reckless Attack I will not be missing that +2. (And with AC 26 now [no +2 Shield, but Ring of Protection] enemies will be missing a lot even with advantage.)

BRC
2015-05-05, 05:21 PM
Flametongue is nice. It's a lot better damage, and combined with Reckless Attack I will not be missing that +2. (And with AC 26 now [no +2 Shield, but Ring of Protection] enemies will be missing a lot even with advantage.)

If you're dropping the shield, why not go for a two-handed weapon? Barbarians crit mechanics encourage them to use weapons with big damage dice.

Wartex1
2015-05-05, 05:22 PM
That +2 does add to damage, and fire damage is heavily resisted. Plus, 1d8+2 is an average of 6.5, which is only .5 less than 2d6.

JNAProductions
2015-05-05, 05:24 PM
If you're dropping the shield, why not go for a two-handed weapon? Barbarians crit mechanics encourage them to use weapons with big damage dice.

I'm keeping the shieled-just not a +2 Shield.

Sunblade: 1d8+7 (11.5)
Flamteongue: 1d8+2d6+5 (16.5)
Flametongue (resisted): 1d8+1d6+5 (13)

Madfellow
2015-05-05, 05:45 PM

No, clearly what he needs is a magic hammer that grants flying and shoots lightning. :smallsmile:

Battlebooze
2015-05-05, 06:23 PM
Starting statline of 18s, max stat is 24.

2 rare magic items.

2 Divine Boons.

And a few other goodies I've forgotten, probably.

:roach:

Mumble Mumble. Must not bitch about other peoples ideas of fun.

Wartex1
2015-05-05, 06:26 PM
:roach:

Mumble Mumble. Must not bitch about other peoples ideas of fun.

Then you realize that we're not going up against level-appropriate encounters.

Battlebooze
2015-05-05, 06:31 PM
Then you realize that we're not going up against level-appropriate encounters.

I didn't say anything. :D

Though if I did...
I'd say, you're just making play balance more difficult for yourselves. Super characters need super challenges, which it seems you're doing. Sounds like a whole lot of work to me, but have fun!

Bellberith
2015-05-05, 06:51 PM
I didn't say anything. :D

Though if I did...
I'd say, you're just making play balance more difficult for yourselves. Super characters need super challenges, which it seems you're doing. Sounds like a whole lot of work to me, but have fun!

The HP they would need to compensate for the damage they would be taking from appropriate encounters would be alot... That is what makes the balance of it difficult. Since anything strong enough to hit them like Giants and Dragons would also be 1-2 shotting them.

To add something here, i highly recommend using Cloak of Displacement. With that high AC giving all enemies disadv on attacks is amazing.

With Cloak of Displacement something would need a +20 attack to even hit you reliably. Anything less and they will miss more than half the time. And it would virtually eliminate the possibility of getting hit by mooks from a random crit. since they have disadv.

2015-05-05, 06:57 PM
I won't pretend it's the most optimized option, but a Horn Of Valhalla is stupid cool.

JNAProductions
2015-05-05, 07:00 PM
The HP they would need to compensate for the damage they would be taking from appropriate encounters would be alot... That is what makes the balance of it difficult. Since anything strong enough to hit them like Giants and Dragons would also be 1-2 shotting them.

To add something here, i highly recommend using Cloak of Displacement. With that high AC giving all enemies disadv on attacks is amazing.

With Cloak of Displacement something would need a +20 attack to even hit you reliably. Anything less and they will miss more than half the time. And it would virtually eliminate the possibility of getting hit by mooks from a random crit. since they have disadv.

Yes. So much yes. All the yes.

Thank you!

Bellberith
2015-05-05, 07:02 PM
Yes. So much yes. All the yes.

Thank you!

No problem, the biggest thing you need to worry about now is getting hit by spells and AoE effects. Since now with the cloak nothing short of the Kraken, Tarrasque, or Tiamat (or some random homebrew creature) will be able to reliably hit you in melee.

Slipperychicken
2015-05-05, 07:03 PM
How about a mantle of spell resistance? Advantage against all spells will be very handy if your DM starts throwing dominate effects at you. In a "high power" game, it's usually either monsters with big numbers and/or everyone gets to be a high-level spellcaster.

JNAProductions
2015-05-05, 07:06 PM
Okay, currently I've got a Mantle of Spell Resistance and a Cloak of Displacement.

Can you wear a mantle and a cloak together?

Bellberith
2015-05-05, 07:07 PM
Okay, currently I've got a Mantle of Spell Resistance and a Cloak of Displacement.

Can you wear a mantle and a cloak together?

No, but im willing to bet with your DM you can probably get him to change the item slot. and make it a ring of spell resistance instead.

iTreeby
2015-05-07, 09:47 AM
No, but im willing to bet with your DM you can probably get him to change the item slot. and make it a ring of spell resistance instead.

pg 141 of the DMG sayeth " A character can't normally wear more than...one cloak. you can make exceptions; a character might be able to... layer two cloaks". so the dm would probably just let him do that instead of re-slotting an item.

I would vote for a ring of spell storing so you can have more concentration spells spread out in the party

Yagyujubei
2015-05-07, 09:57 AM
ah someone beat me to the cloak of displacement, with AC like that its the obvious choice.

EDIT: and logically, you should absolutely be able to wear a cloak and a mantle together. a duster with a mantle is essentially the same thing as that in one piece. just say the mantle falls over your shoulders to just above your elbows, and the cloak is a full cape/cowl.

that's real world physics and not game mechanics though

JNAProductions
2015-05-07, 03:58 PM
Yeah, DM said no. So I ended up going with Ring of Protection and Cloak of Displacement. (+5 minimum in saving throws.)

Bellberith
2015-05-07, 05:45 PM
Yeah, DM said no. So I ended up going with Ring of Protection and Cloak of Displacement. (+5 minimum in saving throws.)

As stated earlier in this thread, technically you can layer cloaks.... Unless he still wants to say no, it is rules legal.

JNAProductions
2015-05-07, 05:50 PM
*Shurg*

He said no, and I'm not gonna press it. Look at everything else I'm getting. Look at it! LOOK AT IT! :P

Honestly, I don't need to press it.

Occasional Sage
2015-05-07, 10:42 PM
doctor fist is in.

In... where?