View Full Version : Lord of the Forest

Ruethgar
2015-05-05, 05:48 PM
Verden Floran: Life-Shaped Treant Druid 1
Small Construct(Life-Shaped)
Hit Dice: 1d8+2(20 hp)
Initiative: -3
Speed: 20ft
Armor Class: 16 (+1 Size, +3 Dex, +2 Armor)
Full Attack: Unarmed +1 melee (ld2+1)
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: Masterwork Branches and Bark, Set Bonus(Sprout(Widen Grass Twin: Standard 24squares of grass) 1/day, Plant Renewal(Occular Ray Burst Downpour Widen: Two Full Round Actions Plant Renewal on all within 45ft Downpour within 90ft for 1 round) 1/day, and Nurturing Seeds(Occular Ray Burst Widen: Two Full Round Actions Cast Nurturing Seeds on all within 45ft) 1/week)
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +5
Abilities: (32 pt) Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 12
Skills: Knowledge(Life-Shaping) +2, Craft(Life-Shaped) +4, Handle Animal +5, Heal +7
Feats: Love of Nature, Unreactive, Hidden Talent(Minor Creation), Greenbound Summoning, Ashbound Summoning, Extend Spell
Environment: Forest
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: By Class Level
Level Adjustment: +0
Alternate Features: Plant Companion, Focused Animal, Domain Druid(Plant)

Traits: As Construct

No Low-Light and Darkvision
No Immunity to Mind-Affecting, Poison, Sleep, Paralysis, Stun, Disease, Death, Necromancy, Crits, Fort Saves, Massive Damage, Non-Lethal, Ability Damag&Drain, Fatigue, Exaustion, Energy Drain
Can Run normally
No natural healing
DC 20 Spot to distiguish it from an animal or magical beast
Takes 1dmg/spell level from defiling
Can be hit with living and construct specific spells
Can be raised but not resurrected
Destroyed at 0 hp
Ability to Enchant: Bark as armor and two branches as weapons

Plant Companion
Medium Plant
Hit Dice: 3d8+6(19 hp)
Initiative: -6
Speed: 30ft
Armor Class: 15 (+5 Natural)
Full Attack: Slam +1 melee (ld4+1)
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: Plant Qualities, Link, Share Spells, Evasion, Evolution: next lvl Large Size, Prodigious Charisma
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 12
Skills: Listen -4, Spot -4, Hide +4, Move Silently +0
Feats: Unreactive, Inattentive, God Touched, Divine Channeling, Magical Training, Precocious Apprentice
Environment: Forest
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: By Effective Druid Level

Looking for suggestions to compound the ability to control and create greenery. Taking a Legacy Stronghold Item Familiar would give me an enchanted woods that, with Familiar Form, I could jump into. I could eventually command my awakened plants, but I'm looking for something a little sooner than awaken to use the command/rebuke plants on. Also PrC, class and feat suggestions are welcome. I traded out wildshape for a better companion. That and Natural Bond would give me a 5 level leeway on a PrC that doesn't advance my companion.

Edit: Fixed some numbers errors. Changed from Plant Growth to Sprout. Although homebrew(though it was PF for some reason), it is a less powerful spell and does more explicitly what I intended to be the effect of the combination of those abilities. So now 1/day he can create one of any sapling out of nothing(fey cherry, mmm) and 1/week can ensure it survives most common ailments.

drack
2015-05-05, 05:53 PM
Um, what about it? Or is it homebrew that you made a thread for in the wrong section? :smallconfused:

Ruethgar
2015-05-06, 04:32 PM
As the original post states, I am looking for advice on how to make a character able to create and control the forest given the base character stated. I've been making E6 characters so long I'm a bit out of practice on being able to keep up a theme over 20 levels when the gist is done in 6. So I was looking to the playground to suggest PrCs and other options to improve my abilities and continue to advance the theme of a plant focused druid sort of character. One issue if finding plants to Command(via Plant domain from a Domain Druid alternate feature). There is that race from Unapproachable East, but I was wanting something a little less sentient(and thus willful), I can grab Leadership for those later.

Edit: Any suggestions at all?

drack
2015-05-06, 07:36 PM
OK, but I'm still unsure. You say you want to advance control of the woodlands, at first I thought you meant ability suggestions for a homebrewed critter, the requests for PRCs are starting to make me think it's a character with classes, perhaps the above is a base race for it? there was also a mention of pathfinder. I confess, I'm far more knowledgeable about 3.5 then pathfinder myself, though I'd be curious to see what people suggest down the line. (Is this a pathfinder character?) :smallbiggrin:

Ruethgar
2015-05-06, 08:52 PM
It is a 3.x character. It is not a homebrewed critter, just an unusual race from a oft unused book. The above is the character himself at level one. The mention of PF was because the Sprout spell used to be(mistakenly) on the Pathfinder website, however it is homebrewed from the Wizard boards. For purposes here, it makes a single seed age one year into a sapling. Plant Growth can be swapped in as a 1/week instead if homebrew is out of the question, but I wanted it a little more balanced so chose Sprout for now.

Edit: Sprout is the only unofficial content currently involved.

drack
2015-05-06, 09:47 PM
Ah, and by mastery of the forest you mean controlling plants such as via the control plants spell which makes difficult terrain, entangles, or... I forget the third option, and other battlefield control or do you mean more along the lines of literally having plant and animal soldiars with their own stats? :smallconfused:

Either way I'll tell you a straight druid would work plenty well, but as I said I'd be interested to see what sort of PRCs folks suggest. :smallbiggrin:

ZamielVanWeber
2015-05-06, 10:53 PM
What si life-shaped from?

Ruethgar
2015-05-07, 07:29 AM
Life-Shaping is from Dark Sun. It is essentially a living construct that you can customize on creation. I used it because the character could literally be made into a tree and not a humanish plant like a Volodni or one of the plant fey. I used the Savage Species rules further enforced by GitP suggestion to determine LA as the Lifeshaping Handbook says they are playable, but was scant on the details.

As to Drack's inquiry, any and all of the above. I have started a list of appropriate options(mostly spells) to those ends. One issue is the creation of new vegetation. Apart from the Dragon Magazine Grass Growth Side Effect, Rejuvenate, and Feather Token Tree I can't really find ways of expanding or creating a forest. There are a lot more spells that promote growth than create life.

Crowd Control: Control Plants, Entangle, Plant Growth, Briar Web, Wall of Thorns, Animate Plants

Creature Feature: Greenbound Summoning, Plant Companion, Awaken, Animate Wood, Command Plants, Liveoak, Changestaff, Animate Plants, Shambler

Utility: Tree Shape, Nature's Rampart, Wood Shape, Tree Stride, Transport Via Plants, Transmute Metal to Wood, Segojan's Armor, Tree Healing, Allegiance of the Land, Acorn of Far Travel, Druid Grove

Forest Creation: Feather Token Trees, Life Shaping, Rahn-rath, Clear Water, Plant Growth, Create Oasis, Create Water, Nurturing Seeds, Plant Renewal, Rejuvenate, Wild Lands

Deadline
2015-05-07, 11:51 AM
Well, there's the Verdant Lord prestige class from the 3.0 Masters of the Wild book. Full caster progression, gains nourishment from the sun, can wildshape into Treants, can animate trees x/day, and as a capstone it turns you into a plant. It sounds like it could be a solid choice for this concept.

Edit - It also requires two feats from the same book that grant you turning and rebuking abilities over plants.

drack
2015-05-07, 07:52 PM
The spell druid grove lets you store a spell in each tree of your forest for easy access so long as your forest is with you.

Genius loci (ELH monster) can make your forest literally alive

genius loci (the spell) can put elemental spirits (elder elementals of the base four elements) and make them guardian spirits of your forest.

Verdigris and Verdigris Tsunami epic spells create a forest instantly. True epic spells are silly things and few folks use them, but they're oftly thematic at times. I'm going to use them in a level 20 game I'm running for thematic effect.

Now I'm sure there are plenty of great shapeshifting classes out there that I'm probably not the best person to tell you about.

Blighters wither forests, but even if you just dip a level killing forests for a mile or more is quite an impressive somewhat-forest-themed thing to do. kind of counteractive but it could be fluffed as a sign of your character's ire.

create bogun is a fascinating little spell.

gotta post in some threads. :smallbiggrin:

Ruethgar
2015-05-08, 01:49 PM
Genius loci being sorc/wiz or epic is a little difficult to work with. Similarly for the waves of epic greenery(not to mention that they don't last). Could definitely go for a Bogon assume the DM is reasonable in altering the spell requirements since Command and Control Plants switched, same could be said of Verdant Lord.

drack
2015-05-09, 09:14 PM
Genius loci being sorc/wiz or epic is a little difficult to work with. Similarly for the waves of epic greenery(not to mention that they don't last). Could definitely go for a Bogon assume the DM is reasonable in altering the spell requirements since Command and Control Plants switched, same could be said of Verdant Lord.

You said through level 20. :smallbiggrin: Level 9 spells fit into that.

Ruethgar
2015-05-09, 11:50 PM
Yes 9th level spells are included, but getting a 9th level wizard spell is problematic as what would most certainly be a druid build. Yes I could buy a casting or few, but finding an item or wizard of a high enough level can be problematic in practical play if one's not in the party.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-05-10, 05:16 AM
The Horn of the Wakened Forest (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040919a) lets you create permanent forests, among other things.
It's a minor artifact though.

drack
2015-05-10, 01:52 PM
Yes 9th level spells are included, but getting a 9th level wizard spell is problematic as what would most certainly be a druid build. Yes I could buy a casting or few, but finding an item or wizard of a high enough level can be problematic in practical play if one's not in the party.

Perhaps, perhaps not. There are at least seven ways to skin a cat, it'd probably be easiest to go with a straight druid and roll random spells off the list (as most all druid spells could be fluffed as a master of the forest doing them), but you're asking around and taking some time to design your character, now what if some poor lad would have given you the perfect non-druid suggestion but now finds himself scared off because you've now stated that you only want druid specific suggestions. :smallsmile: I try to keep an open mind and toss out any suggestions that may fit.

The Horn of the Wakened Forest (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040919a) lets you create permanent forests, among other things.
It's a minor artifact though.

Ooh, that's a fun one. :smallbiggrin:

Ruethgar
2015-05-10, 08:36 PM
The Horn would be perfect and attainable by Druid or Wizard level 12(though wizard relies less on Dragon content). Give away your divine rank to the nature god of your choice once the artifact(or maybe a couple) is made and rebuild your feats to something a little more useful than seven or so item creation feats.