PDA

View Full Version : [ic] Sullen Kingdoms!

Vonwalt
2015-05-05, 08:06 PM
The Sullen Kingdoms

It's been a long and uneventful journey across the Grass Sea for you, your companions, and the rest of the travellers and merchants on Maester Van Doorn's caravan. When you set out from Ayut Kang, the caravaneers told you all sorts of horror stories about gnoll attacks and red-haired wildmen, but you've seen none of that excitement. The only break in the monotony was a sandstorm, and even that only delayed the caravan by a day while guards and ostlers dug the wagons free. Now you are within sight of your destination, but something seems to be going wrong...

"See that smoke on the horizon? That's Krepost," says the thickset cook loudly as he slops porridge onto tin plates. It's about 8:00 in the morning, and the four of you are in the common area next to the cook-wagon, along with twenty or so other early risers. "Soon be out of this blasted grass and back to civilization, if you can call it that. I reckon only two or three hours, once we get back on the-"

He is cut off by a shout and a scream from the tail end of the wagon train. Everyone looks at once. There's a plume of dust rising over one of the last few wagons, and people are milling around. Beyond that, there's a much, much larger plume of dust rising over the horizon.

People begin shouting over each other and running around in a panic. The caravaneers start trying to ready their wagons, but the whole process is hampered by panicking passengers, and the camp area you're in quickly devolves into chaos. You can see similar scenes breaking out all along the snaking fifty-wagon train.

What do you do?

evyldead
2015-05-08, 08:48 PM
Hecarim stands and rush's to help the people, he starts leading the people to the caravan he was in as it was the one safest as he could see. As he is better focused on defending one caravan rather then many at a time. He screams "Come here in the caravan and I'll protect you!"
Hecarim tries to see beyond the sandstorm to see what is in the sand if anything.
[roll0]

Faolan7
2015-05-08, 09:39 PM
Tymir draws his rapier and runs toward the closest plume of dust.

Vonwalt
2015-05-08, 10:31 PM
Hecarim, the dust is far away, and you're not totally sure what's in it, but you have seen a sandstorm before. This huge dust cloud on the horizon is not one. And it's getting closer.

evyldead
2015-05-09, 11:46 AM
Hecarim gets a little closer to the sand storm coming but stays close enough to the caravans where he can run to them.
Readying to attack anything that comes near us that is not anyone on the caravans.

Devilfish
2015-05-09, 08:22 PM
"uurrrrrrrrrAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-UGG!" (http://www.tubechop.com/watch/5894733)

The only way to quell this shouting was with a single, more dominant roar.
Couldn't get it working, intimidate roll here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19231576&postcount=945)
(24 oh god)Urdosh ended in a firm huff, drawing his glaive and thrusting a finger at the cook.

"DON'T let them take my donkey."

This caravan was in a discord-- a moment of weakness. It needed a strong figure to show it what's what. Urdosh stomps off in the direction of the elf and the human; at least someone here looks ready to stand ground.

"You two! What do you make of this?"

Vonwalt
2015-05-09, 08:45 PM
Tymir: As you draw closer, you can see a fight going on. The last wagon of the caravan has at least one broken wheel, and twenty or so caravan guards are desperately defending it against a larger number (perhaps thirty?) of gnolls and humans. The dust plume seems to have been kicked up by their horses, most of which are wandering idly through the grass a little farther away from the battle. At this point, no one has seen you, but if you get closer, the bandits are very likely to notice.

Urdosh: The nearby people stop screaming and shouting, and most of them turn to look at you. The cook nods hastily and runs to where your donkey is tied up. Even the folk climbing into Hecarim's wagon poke their heads out and wait to listen to what you have to say.

Nevershutup
2015-05-10, 11:10 AM
Gelandr looks towards the incredibly loud roar emanating from a half-orc, and makes his way there as he casts Mage Armor on himself.

If he gets within earshot, he calls out, "We appear to be under attack. Perhaps we should mobilize any guards or capable fighters and assist that wagon, and prepare for whatever is in that cloud." As Gelandr says this, he appears to be calm and formulating a plan even as he speaks.

Devilfish
2015-05-10, 01:00 PM
Urdosh looks the elf over, who stays eerily calm at the horizon of danger. Urdosh does not understand the elves or their glowing armors, which springs from the air at their beckon and call. This is elf-strangeness to him; not readily trusted. Nevertheless… there is conquest in the air, and the stranger’s words are good.

“You heard him!” he glowers over those (mesmerized?) by his roar. “They have come for you, hoping you would scatter like kittens. I say instead take to ARMS, all of you!

“And to me…”

Urdosh turns from the crowd, motioning for the elf to follow him. "There is fire to your eyes and bladesongs through your teeth. I hope they see us through this, Flicker-Eyes."

How far are we to the action?

Vonwalt
2015-05-10, 02:33 PM
Probably about a hundred yards. Tymir, of course, is closer, maybe only forty or fifty yards.

Urdosh, you get a mixed reaction to your speech. People are calmer now, and moving in an orderly fashion, but most of them are still running away. Wagons are beginning to pull away from the front of the caravan and head down towards the city.

However, a few guards do detach themselves from the press of people and start running towards the end of the caravan. Most are Maester van Doorn's personal guard, but a few are true mercenaries, extra security hired by one of the merchants. Looks like all told there's another fifteen warriors by your side.

(Or rather, past it. They're running to join the fighting, not taking orders from you.)

Faolan7
2015-05-10, 04:16 PM
Tymir pulls out his bow, then runs with the guards until he's 20ish feet away from the fray, and if possible, starts shooting the attackers.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Vonwalt
2015-05-10, 04:33 PM
Tymir: Your arrow strikes true, hitting an already wounded gnoll in the back of the head and finishing him off. The rest of the bandits turn, surprised, and are met with the caravan guards.The battle is now not nearly so one-sided, but you've drawn the attention of some of the bandits.
A particularly large, red-haired woman breaks free from the press and points her axe at you, Tymir.
"Kill the archer and 'is friends! Ve have only to vait until Karlaq arrives!"
She, followed by a pair of sword-wielding gnolls, starts heading in your direction.

We're going to do block initiative, so everyone who wants to get involved in this fight roll, I'll take the highest result, and you'll all act at the same time. Same is true for your enemies.

Nevershutup
2015-05-10, 05:24 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Gelandr runs towards the fight (Double move) with the comment, "Let's hope whatever's in that cloud is something we can handle."

Can I roll knowledge checks for tactics, to attempt and direct the soldiers? Also, how close am I to Big Red? If I'm closer than 30ft., then I instead stop off at thirty feet.

Vonwalt
2015-05-10, 05:30 PM
You can roll knowledge checks to attempt to assist the battle, but I'm going to say you gotta spend a move action to actually yell out complex orders and carefully assess the situation. After a double move, you'll be a little behind Tymir, thirty-five feet from Big Red and her dogfriends.

Devilfish
2015-05-10, 06:00 PM
Initiative:

The caravan is moving like a pack towards the fray. Urdosh doesn't form any words, something low and guttural frothing out of him instead.

He breaks out into a full sprint like a crazed jungle cat.
Run action. Sprint straight towards the fight to put myself between the gnoll-crew and Tymir. I'll end 5 feet in front of him, if possible.

"Nice shot."

Attacks of opportunity, if warranted:
Attack: [roll]1d20+6
Damage:
Damage:
Damage: [roll3]
Combat reflexes, woo~

Edit; I really need to proofread my rolls before I hit submit. Attack rolls here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19234929&postcount=951)

evyldead
2015-05-10, 10:27 PM
Hecarim stands his ground as he hears the elf starts to order some plans in motion. Hecarim thinks to himself "Elves still think they can bark orders at people, hmph, lets see how this plays out."

Hecarim follows the half-orc staying behind him as Hecarim can hit at a distance.

Vonwalt
2015-05-10, 11:49 PM
Urdosh: One of the gnolls tries to run past you, only to get totally surprised and smashed to the ground by your weapon. He looks dead. Big Red and her other bodyguard alter course and close with you. The other gnoll swings his sword wildly, missing you and nearly falling over, but Big Red appears to be an experienced fighter, and she clocks you soundly with her axe for [roll0] damage.

This close, you can smell sour milk on her breath, and you notice that her skin below the neck and above the wrists is covered with an intricate pattern of tattoos.

The rest of the party is free to act; all of you are easily within range, and none of you but Urdosh are engaged in melee.

Devilfish
2015-05-11, 10:48 AM
He sees her coming, the woman with blazing hair. Her powerful frame mesmerizes him, and for a moment he imagines another life with her. Her war shout is song to him, and her swing is good.

That's when the axe hits and he wants nothing more than to chop her right in her big stupid face hrrrrgg.

Urdosh: 17hp

Faolan7
2015-05-11, 05:18 PM
Initiative: [roll0]
I thought I'd put it in now.

Tymir, thinking it wise to stay back, backs up 30 feet and shoots the still-standing gnoll.

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

OOC: Would you prefer me doing my attacks in spoilers? Also, how do you name the spoilers?

Vonwalt
2015-05-11, 07:09 PM
(like this: [**SPOILER=whatever you want it to be named]whatever you wrote[/SPOILER**] but without the asterisks) Doing them in spoilers is fine, but you don't have to.

As far as your attack goes, your arrow flies past Urdosh, the red-haired woman, and the gnoll to little effect.

Nevershutup
2015-05-11, 09:44 PM
Gelandr, sliding to a halt, begins casting another spell, supplementing its power with his own pool of raw arcane energy. As he finishes casting the spell, 2 bolts of force energy fly from Gelandr's hands, unerringly striking the Red Woman.

Damage Roll: [roll0]

Actions Breakdown:
Cast Magic Missle
Augment Spell with Arcane Reservoir, increasing CL by 1.

Vonwalt
2015-05-11, 11:41 PM
Gelandr, your missiles strike true, and the Red Woman recoils, her arms suddenly bloody. She snarls wordlessly and prepares to strike once again.

Hecarim, you're up, and after you it's her (and her compatriot's) turn.

evyldead
2015-05-12, 10:09 PM
Hecarim sees the half-orc gets hit. He runs over within 10ft reach of his attacker and goes to trip her to help a lending hand.
Trip- [roll0]
Hit if she is tripped- [roll1]
Damage if hit- [roll2]

Vonwalt
2015-05-13, 12:22 AM
Your trip attempt fails, and the Red Woman laughs wildly. There is an edge of fear in her voice, though, and she glances back at the battle beyond, where her friends are hard-pressed. Beyond that, the dust plume grows ever larger. Her eyes widen and she turns back to you, feints, and tries to sidestep towards Gelandr. Anyone who wants can roll perception to try and see what she saw.
Her gnoll friend bares his teeth and snarls"Respect the Foolish Dog, worm!", attacking Urdosh with his bronze sword for [roll0] damage.
Urdosh and Hecarim, both of you may make attacks of opportunity against the Red Woman, as she dives away from you in the general direction of Gelandr.

Faolan7
2015-05-13, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure if order matters a whole lot, but...

Tymir backs up 10 ft and fires another arrow at the gnoll.

Attack: 1d20+5
Damage: 1d6
I have no idea why it isn't working, but here are my rolls from real life:
Attack: 11+5=16
Damage: 5

Do I need to track my arrows? If so, I'm at 17 now.

Vonwalt
2015-05-13, 05:13 PM
you have to not have spaces in the rolls! 1d20* also yes, please keep track of your arrows. You can recover up to half the ones you've used if you have a little time to search the battlefield for them.

as far as that shot goes, you'll hit the gnoll and wound it, leaving an arrow sticking out of its matted, hairy shoulder.
However, technically it is still the Red Woman's turn; just waiting on the results of the opportunity attacks against her.

evyldead
2015-05-13, 10:50 PM
Hecarim takes the second chance to trip her through the AoO.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

I can't believe I just got the max roll for the Trip and I roll so poorly for attacking ... At least I'm doing my job and keeping her there haha. Let me know when she tries to get back up, amother trip on the way.

Vonwalt
2015-05-13, 11:23 PM
Rather than running to attack Gelandr, the Red Woman faceplants as her foot catches on Hecarim's polearm.

Devilfish
2015-05-14, 12:55 AM
Urdosh howls at the gnoll as the second blade brings him to one knee. He cannot keep this up. His blood runs hot and his temper is searing, and just when the pain is about to become unbearable, fate lends him a sympathetic hand.

"Thank you," he bellows at Hecarim, before the frenzy takes over.

[roll0]
Perception: A passing glance at what the Red Woman saw- before fury robs him of all care [roll2]
Setting my dodge bonus to the remaining Gnoll, btw

Urdosh: 13 Temp HP

Vonwalt
2015-05-14, 01:07 AM
The Red Woman is prone and unarmored. Urdosh stabs down, dealing her a vicious wound and sending her into unconsciousness. the gnoll suddenly looks much less confident than it did a moment ago, especially as Tymir's arrow whizzes past its ear.

Urdosh, a moment before your rage takes you, you see that the dust cloud beyond is neither natural nor as distant as you thought. A great number of horse soldiers--it seems all the horse you've ever seen--are riding down towards the caravan. Five hundred? Six hundred?

More?

Your best guess is that they are still at least half an hour away, but if they reach the caravan, it'll be a massacre.

Urdosh, Gelandr, and Hecarim, it's your turn to act normally. There's one gnoll in melee with Urdosh still, and there's a confused melee involving twenty caravan guards vs fifteen or so bandits thirty feet beyond.

Nevershutup
2015-05-14, 07:37 PM
How many horses/wagons/people are left?
Are the guards close to winning?
Can I make out what is in the cloud?

Perception if necessary: [roll0]

Vonwalt
2015-05-14, 08:03 PM
You can make out what is in the cloud, although perhaps not as well as your Half-Orc friend. Hundreds of riders, human and gnoll alike, bearing down on the caravan.

As far as the fight around the last wagon, your side is now winning, and outnumbers the bandits two to one, with 30 guards fighting 15 raiders. The guards are close to winning, but the raiders are fighting to the death.

The rest of the caravan has split and is now moving away in disarray. there are 20 or so wagons still sort of in gridlock or just slowly moving; each of them has at least five people and six horses to wrangle. The rest (28 wagons in all) are speeding down towards the town. One of them has overturned and been abandoned.

Nevershutup
2015-05-14, 08:34 PM
Gelandr takes all of this in qnd sees that he needs the guards' aid to effectively save these people, as there's no way to do so with just the three other men around him.

"There are hundreds more on their way! We need the guards' help to get these people away!"

At this, Gelandr heads towards the front of the wagons, staying within 120ft. of the guards and fires off another augmented Magic Missle, targeted at the two most wounded looking gnolls.

Actions:

Attack with Magic Missle (2/5 1rst lvl) augmented by one Arcane Reservoir (4/6) point for an increased caster level.

Rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Vonwalt
2015-05-14, 09:23 PM
Gelandr, your missiles easily finish off two already-wounded gnolls, and the guards cheer. One of them breaks away from the group and starts helping a panicking farmer to hitch up his horses.

Still to go: Urdosh, Hecarim.

Devilfish
2015-05-14, 10:35 PM
Most people misunderstand rage. Rage does not make one stupid; rage makes things simple. In most cases, it simplifies the means to why one entered the rage- namely how best to tear the nearest enemy to the consistency of tomato paste.

This is no different for our half-orc protagonist. His next decision is simple.

Is he near enough to the wagon train or its horses to flee?
Or will the riders overtake the position- where he will have to make his stand? `-`

Vonwalt
2015-05-14, 10:52 PM
Urdosh, your perception check was high enough to see that you have about half an hour until the great horde of horsemen arrive. You can see a looooong distance across this flat land, and although they are riding, they are not riding fast.

Also, in regards to the distance from the caravan: the nearest wagon is forty feet to your left. The driver has just managed to get his horses hitched up, but the cart in front of him has something jammed under its wheel, and he can't get around.

Devilfish
2015-05-14, 11:07 PM
A simple decision. (http://www.tubechop.com/watch/5946517)

Urdosh takes a 5 step backward to put him within his glaive's striking range.
OOC: These rolls, man >.o
I'll hold off on the results to post the rest of my character reactions

Vonwalt
2015-05-15, 11:30 AM
This stupid gnoll is too fast for you, Urdosh. He's dodging like his life depended on it, and considering that he has an arrow in his arm, it probably does.

Hecarim, the gnoll is within your reach. What do you do?

evyldead
2015-05-15, 10:51 PM
Sorry it took me so long to reply, work schedule real tight this week.

Hecarim sees that this gnoll is dodging the half-orc really well. He grins and sees an opportunity to hit the gnoll.

Trip- [roll0]
hit- [roll1]
damage- [roll2]

(If Hecarim has hit the gnoll and killed him then he is doing this) After that, he hears people saying something about many many people coming and not the friendly kind either. He stands his ground with the Half-orc and yells "Get everyone moving forward!"

He looks at the Half-Orc and says "If we get out alive. First round on me."

Vonwalt
2015-05-16, 12:00 AM
Hecarim, you fail to trip the gnoll, but it doesn't matter as your backswing shatters the dogman's ribs and knocks it out. For the moment, you are left alone, but there are still eleven raiders engaged in bloody combat ahead- the closest is 30 feet.

Your enemies lie dead or dying around you, but ahead, there is battle. The wagons are mostly moving now, albeit slowly. The wagon train snakes down the gentle slope towards Krepost, shouts, curses, and nervous horse-whinnies rising above it. And on the horizon, the distant dust cloud grows slowly closer.

What do you do?

Devilfish
2015-05-16, 10:44 PM
Urdosh grins wickedly as the human strikes down the gnoll that'd avoided him. He decides he likes this human. He decides he likes several of these men, who have joined his charge.

"Their reinforcements ride slowly and cannot help them!" he calls to Flicker-Eyes. "We can help the guards by conquering them all!"

"Help me decapatate the dog-man," Urdosh suggests to Hecarim much more calmly; almost unnervingly so. "But keep the woman alive; lest we have questions..."

Faolan7
2015-05-16, 11:24 PM
Tymir launches another arrow at the nearest gnoll.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Vonwalt
2015-05-16, 11:29 PM
Tymir launches another arrow at the nearest gnoll.

[roll0]
[roll1]

These rolls are truly a mystery

evyldead
2015-05-16, 11:59 PM
Hecarim looks at the Half-Orc and says"I appreciate the modesty but we have to get out now." Hecarim grabs the woman an takes her back to the wagon.
"Tie her as we go with the caravan my new found friend."

Faolan7
2015-05-17, 12:50 AM
These rolls are truly a mystery

Gosh dang it! I'm sorry! I previewed the post, and I guess it changed my rolls.

Vonwalt
2015-05-17, 01:26 AM
Gosh dang it! I'm sorry! I previewed the post, and I guess it changed my rolls.

It's all good! The roll thing is super finicky.

Tymir, your arrow takes a gnoll by surprise. She shrieks and keels over. A few of the other raiders look your way, but they are too embroiled in the bloody melee to actually come and attack you right now.

Urdosh, you can easily decapitate the unconscious gnolls if you like. Hecarim is already dragging the Red Woman away towards the wagon, but it's slow going; she is large and heavy.

Hecarim, you can see the cart now; the cook is standing nervously nearby, clinging to the reins of a donkey. The wagon driver, a female dwarf in a headscarf and leather jerkin, is shouting at him. "I don't care who told you to hold the donkey! We have to get into the city as soon as we can! You stupid man!" Behind them, the wagon is half-hitched, and another dwarf woman is trying to attach the next ox with limited success.

Gelandr, what are you doing while this is happening?

Devilfish
2015-05-17, 08:02 AM
Urdosh siezes the Red Woman from Hecarim and heaves her over his shoulder with an exhausted huff. He tears away the face wrap from his mouth taking in deep gasps of air, trotting to the cart while his rage abandons him. Bloodied, exhausted, and coming down from a 22 strength score, he unceremoniously deposits Big Red in the back, and turns to the dwarven couple.

"I am employing you as our personal chef and company," he says, flipping them a coin of pure gold. "And you can serve us our first meal in Krepost. Do NOT make it porridge," he suggests in a familiar tone. He trusts this will satisfy them for now, as he awaits his allies' actions.
Changed my own actions to keep me from stealing the spotlight :smallredface:
"I'll be back in one second," Urdosh dismounts towards the gnoll, glaive lazily dragging behind him...

Coup de Grace: 1d10+4

Nevershutup
2015-05-17, 12:43 PM
Gelandr nods in appreciation as the two fighters take down the lone gnoll, and fires off volley of missles into the melee, again at the weakest ones, hoping to end the battle soon, so that they might make their escape.

Actions:
Enhanced Magic Missle (CL3) (1/5 1rst) (3/6 Arc. Reserve.)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Vonwalt
2015-05-17, 02:38 PM
All right. Gelandr, what with your magic missiles and Tymir's constant sniping, the rest of the raiders quickly fall. The caravaneers break away, leaving the overturned wagon and shouting breathless thanks as they run past.

Urdosh and Hecarim, the dwarfish woman eyes the coin suspiciously before shrugging. "All right, hop on. We're leaving as soon as we can get these thrice-bedamned oxen hitched. Your elf friends can come too if you like."

Faolan7
2015-05-17, 10:33 PM
How many arrows did I lose with the "constant sniping"?

Tymir puts away his bow and jogs over to Urdosh. "Um, are you okay? I can try to find some bandages for you, if you'd like."

Vonwalt
2015-05-17, 11:13 PM
Tymir, I believe you'll end up with a total of 17 arrows remaining, after you recover some of your shots.

Nevershutup
2015-05-18, 08:55 AM
Gelandr, surveying the battlefield, declines the wagoneers' offer of a ride.

"Thank you, but I think I'll take one of these now unused horses here. Or several, as the owners no longer have need of them."

With that, he gathers the spoils from the gnolls and Red, and pilee them by his allies.

"We all aided with the fighting, so if there is anything there that interests you, feel free to take it, otherwise I'll gladly take care of it."

Once more, Gelandr goes off again, tying five of the horses' reins to form a train of sorts (this legitimately works, I don't know if anyone else has any experience with horses). Once this is done, he collects whatever his allies have not grabbed and stows it on the horses.

Devilfish
2015-05-18, 10:21 AM
The elf that he'd run to defend is now aiding him. Urdosh understands this sentiment within an warparty- but it is a strangeness unbeknownst to his tribes to recieve this from a stranger. Maybe this is what the humans call gratitude. Maybe they had formed a bond through the fight. Maybe Urdosh is bleeding profusely, and his thoughts are hazy and strange. All are equally likely.

The half orc nods breathlessly, collapsing onto his cart like a bed. "This gnoll had an arrow in him when we fought," he motions to the disembodied head at his feet. "Your marks are good, elf-man. What is your name?"

Flicker-Eyes returns for a moment with the spoils of the fight, and sets to arranging their own horse train. Urdosh does a double-take, and contorts his brow in amusement.

He must not know of elves well enough.

He can hardly tell two of them apart.
I'll get to meeting everyone formally soon enough; your respective fighting prowesses are the only way Urdosh will stick around you all, anyway =p

Vonwalt
2015-05-18, 12:04 PM
With that, he gathers the spoils from the gnolls and Red...

Once more, Gelandr goes off again, tying five of the horses' reins to form a train of sorts...

At this point, no one has actually searched the Red Woman, and she lies unconscious in the wagon, some distance from you.

The horses are easy, though. They are well-trained and used to being handled, and you can easily gather up a few to follow you.

evyldead
2015-05-19, 09:04 AM
Hecarim helps load up and helps get the caravan on the move.

Sorry work and life been stressful lately. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Faolan7
2015-05-19, 04:46 PM
Tymir runs up and down the caravans asking if anyone has bandages they can spare, and if he finds any, he returns to Urdosh and bandages him up.

It's all good my friend. :smallsmile:

Vonwalt
2015-05-19, 05:44 PM
Yeah, don't worry about it.

Bandages are easy to find, and soon those of you who were wounded are bandaged, and in the case of the Red Woman, stabilized. The dwarf caravan driver shouts her oxen into startled movement and the wagon lurches down the hill towards Krepost, passing slower wagons and walking guards as it goes. Gelandr easily keeps pace with his train of horses, and the four of you can converse and get to know each other as you like before...

The gates loom above you, their huge wooden doors open wide to receive the deluge of people and animals coming in. Everything here is made of wood: the walls, the houses, the towers, the bridge over the river Ymer, which runs through the center of the fortress-city... Everything is delicately fretworked and detailed as well, carved with images of various fanciful monsters and dwarfish text. Gelandr, you may not recognize the exact process, but you can feel the magical power imbued in the wood. The walls are much stronger than they appear.

Your caravan is stopped just inside by an officious-looking dwarf in a huge bearskin cloak. He is flanked by a heavily armored pair of knights: A half-orc and a human, each clad in mail and carrying greatswords. They've got those wing things on their backs.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/234/9/6/Heavy_Polish_winged_Hussars_by_CG_Zander.jpg

"Ah, Yulia. What is your business here in Krov?"
"You know my business, Markus." she says shortly. "Now let us in. In case you haven't noticed, the Foolish Dog is coming down on this city in force."
"Quite," says Markus. He looks in to the back of the wagon and nods towards you all. "All right, go on in. I caution you to be wary, strangers. The Foolish Dog is not the only threat on the roads right now. These are bad times in Krov."

With that, the wagon rumbles onward into the center of Krepost, until Yulia stops it on the edge of a large square. The Red Woman groans in her sleep.
"You're safe enough now, I suppose. Thanks for the help getting out of there. Me and mine'll be staying over there at the Goatherd's Rest. You can do whatever you like." she turns away from you and walks off towards the large inn building, its front sign decorated with goat skulls.

What do you do?

Faolan7
2015-05-19, 11:02 PM
Tymir runs after Yulia, "Can you tell me about the Foolish Dogs? I'll pay for your meal."

Vonwalt
2015-05-19, 11:10 PM
She stops to let you catch up. "Free meal? All right, come on in."

The inside of the Goatherd's Rest is full of people; it's probably about lunch time now. Probably half of them are various caravan passengers and workers, all looking tired, dirty and sweaty after their narrow escape. The other half are mostly soldiers, it looks like; there's a lot of groups of dwarves and humans all wearing the same colors, or with shields painted with the same design. There's even a few hobgoblins dressed in furs and carrying longspears in one corner at their own table, quietly drinking hot tea. The atmosphere is loud but not rowdy, and it's easy for you to follow Yulia over to a table. It'll cost you a gold piece for a good meal for both you and her, Tymir.

What are the rest of you up to? Krepost is a border fort, but it's also a midsize town. There's shops, a large garrison building and keep, several stables, and what looks like some kind of library or museum. Or of course, you could follow Tymir in to the Inn and see what he learns about the Foolish Dog.

Devilfish
2015-05-21, 05:00 PM
To the party::

Urdosh has finished binding the red woman (Take 20) and has just inspected his wounds. A small coyote which he keeps as a guard dog had licked them clean for him, and now pants contently at his feet. The half-orc sits upon his cart like a throne, his glaive a scepter in his hands. He does not lord over you, but it is an imposing posture nonetheless.

“I am UHR-DOSH, from the tribes behind the sands,” he speaks with the low rumble of a coming storm. “I have travelled six fortnights before the caravan, in pilgrimage towards the land of ogres, where I will find and seize their strength for my own. My companions, this donkey and dog, have proven their merit to me…

And now you all have fought well before me.

“I will not- I WILL NOT- travel with weakness in my midst… and thankfully I shall not have to.”

Speak your names, strangers; that I may know my warparty.”

To the Red Woman::

Big Red might awaken to the sound of a rabid coyote growling in her face. It is at this point she might notice the sizable half-orc immediately before her, sharpening a spear nonchalantly. The gnoll’s head sits lopsided at his feet.

“Speak,” Urdosh asks of the raider calmly. “I won’t bother to ask again.”

Anyone may join in my interrogation, if they’d like.
(I can also say I’d addressed the group before Tymir entered the bar, if you’d like to get in on introductions =))
To the Cook:

"Actua-y, zish shtuff ish pretty goo'!" Urdosh speaks with a mouth full of porridge. "You can make it whenever you like!"

Nevershutup
2015-05-21, 07:16 PM
Gelandr looks towards the other elf, Tymir, and notes the direction he heads.

To Urdosh, Gelandr replies, "My name is Gelandr. While I would like to stay and chat, I would like to browse the markets of this establishment; I have some horses to sell, unless you would like one."

Vonwalt
2015-05-21, 08:18 PM
Gelandr, you can see what looks like some kind of livestock market over on the other side of the square, where horses and oxen are milling around. That'd probably be a good place to sell your horses.

Urdosh, the Red Woman looks at the head, then up to you with a quirk of her mouth. "Of what would you have me speak, Orc? Shall I tell you of my travels in the Grass Sea? The first time I kissed? Perhaps I could tell you the names of my mother's horses." She smiles, then coughs and spits a little dried blood on the ground. "Pardon my rudeness. Someone seems to have hit me with something."

And as for Tymir Food arrives quickly to your corner table, and as you eat Yulia tells you about the Foolish Dog between sips of tea and mouthfuls of bread.
"The Foolish Dog, right, that's a Gnoll name, sort of. Supposed to keep evil spirits from finding them. They all have names that translate like that; Idiot, Bad Breath, Lonely One, and so on. No Gnoll from the Grass Sea uses their true name unless they're real stupid or real confident.
That's not what they mean here, though. The Foolish Dog is a tribe, or maybe just one gnoll, who's got some pull in the Sea. Normally, the gnoll tribes fight each other all the time when they're not fighting the humans, but you saw the numbers out there. Five or six hundred raiders means five or six clans, human and gnoll alike. That hasn't happened since the Bleeding. This Foolish Dog, whoever they are, is a warlord, you mark my words. They're uniting the nomads against Krov."
She takes a long sip of tea.

Nevershutup
2015-05-22, 08:23 AM
If Urdosh wants a horse, Gelandr hands one of the horses over to him.

Then Gelandr searches the horses, checking their saddles, etc. (Do the horses have saddlebags and riding saddles, and anything else?) Gelandr empties the saddlebags of the horses if they have them, except for the one he seems to find to be in the best shape, loading all of the loot, both from the saddlebags and from the gnolls, using his pack to carry everything that does not quite fit, and then tying the pack to the saddle
(Get everything from the other horses onto the best horse).

Gelandr then appraises the rest of the horses, to make sure he won't be cheated out of his gold. Gelandr then proceeds to the market to sell the horses.

Vonwalt
2015-05-22, 01:30 PM
Your thorough search of the saddlebags affords you 72 gold's worth of coin in various denominations: Krovish crowns stamped with a stylized pine forest, Adhayran square coins, walrus-ivory pieces from Tvarlis, nonagonal silver coins you've never seen before, and so on.

You also find three badly blown glass bottles of alcohol, a composite shortbow and 19 arrows, five daggers that seem more like tools than weapons, a throwing axe, and 8 days worth of rations.

The horses themselves seem pretty good. They're light horses, combat trained, all with saddles and saddlebags.

Devilfish
2015-05-22, 02:23 PM
The half-orc holds the reigns quizzically in his hands. He admits that he knows how to turn a beast from atop a cart, but not from atop its back. He hands the horse back to Gelandr and insists to put it towards his share of the profit. Urdosh keeps an eye on the pair of elves and the human, intent on following them after a brief business meeting he is scheduled to attend...

Urdosh smirked, impressed by the raider's spunk if nothing else. He turned to her now, a courtesy in this little arrangement of theirs.

"Your warhost. Very large, very powerful. Too big to be preying on peasant caravans- this is known."

His attention drifts again, and he gives the severed head a playful jab or two.

"How many are you? How does a human come to fight beside a knoll?

One final stab, before curiosity leaks to his voice.

"What do you band together wage war with?"

Vonwalt
2015-05-22, 04:34 PM
"I cannot speak for the rest of the clans that now follow the Foolish Dog, of course, but my people came for the plunder. The settled lands are rich, and I would my arms were ringed with gold. The Gnolls, though, fight for some greater cause, a vision of their leader."

She shrugs. Well, some of them. The Foolish Dog's own tribe believe in whatever vision he has, but the others he bullied or cajoled into joining his alliance, and now he keeps us to his side with promises of plunder. Myself, I do not know his plans, beyond crossing the river and raiding south Krov. Nor do I know his numbers. Alchiq commanded my party, six hundred or more, and he is but a lesser lieutenant. What else would you know?"

Nevershutup
2015-05-23, 01:49 PM
Gelandr sells the horses (except his, of course), and returns to Urdosh, and proffers him the bottles of alcohol he found. "I'm not much of a drinker myself, and I though you might enjoy this more than I. I've also a few knives and a throwing axe if you want any of them. Also, here is your share of the gold."

With that done, Gelandr sits down nearby to listen to this interrogation.

The horses are each worth 124gp, with the saddles and saddle bags. I don't know if, as is the general rule, I'm selling them at half price though.

Each party member's share, when Gelandr meets them, will be 1/4 (Horse money) + 23gp

Additionally, Gelandr is waiting to sell any of the weapons for the moment, because some of his party members may want one.

Vonwalt
2015-05-23, 03:49 PM
Half price is correct, although you can make a diplomacy, bluff, or handle animal check to increase your profit.

evyldead
2015-05-23, 08:43 PM
Hecarim looks around at the party speaking who they are and decides to join in. "My name is Hecarim. Skilled polearm fighter, trained under my father. Magical lessons from my mother but I still can't cast which is sad.. But my family and town was raided by," He looks towards the elves, "Elves."
I care little for most Elves. But prove your worth and I will be at peace with you and protect you with my life if need be."

As for the interrogation, Hecarim is just listening in on what the Red Woman is saying, and he walks over when he heard her say that was one of the smallest groups.
"What is your name?"

After she answers with her name(If given or not doesn't matter still asking this haha.) "How many "groups" are there if yours was the smallest?"

Faolan7
2015-05-23, 09:05 PM
"What was the Bleeding?"

Also, I haven't touched my food, in case that's important.

Vonwalt
2015-05-23, 09:41 PM
"You may call me Malaq, if you like. Sadly, I am not so knowledgeable of the captains as all that. In the north, Alchiq's peers are Khutun the Gray; Varag, who was once my mother's enemy; Ugly Voice, who is a gnoll witch; and Tuyen. I know nothing about him. Over them all is Furgan Rot-tooth, who has at least a thousand gnolls. His elite guard as well stands with him, mercenaries from many lands."

Vonwalt
2015-05-23, 09:47 PM
And to Tymir:

"The Bleeding? Yes, I forget, you did not have that in the south. A bad time in Krov's history. The dead rose, the dead ruled, and human, dwarf, and goblin all strained under the yoke of the blood-drinkers. Only your kin escaped into the far north, so I was told in school.

But it did not last, not least because the raiders came up out of the Grass Sea and fought. They say Von Drakhenborg himself killed a hundred gnolls in one battle before their chief's witch thrust a wagon-spoke through his rotted heart.

Of course, that was long ago now. More than a thousand years."

Faolan7
2015-05-27, 05:35 PM
"Thank you." Tymir stands and nods his head. "I should go join my companions. Farewell, for now." Then he walks out the door, leaving his food behind.

Vonwalt
2015-05-27, 09:49 PM
Tymir, Yulia nods to you, gives you a thumbs up, and says "Tell your friends to get that nomad off my cart, hey?"

Outside, you see the rest of your party gathered around Malaq, the Red Woman. She's telling them about all the different raider warlords she knows.

Devilfish
2015-05-28, 10:48 PM
Urdosh smiles at Gelandr and gladly accepts the drinks. He truly will never understand elves, and why they would pass up such a thing.

(It is no matter; after all, he and Hecarim had agreed on a round, once they got out of this. The orc tosses him the second bottle warmly upon his approach.)

"On second thought," he begins, "I think I'll need that horse back."

A great enemy lurks at the borders of Krov, and many have fled from the attack to the safety behind its walls; not one half-orc, apparently.

The fighter breathes in the wind, and looks out at them. Exhilaration shoots through him as he imagines the coming fight. He takes it this moment of absolute calm outside the ramparts, one silence before the storm.

He smacks the horse on its hinds, and sends it running out towards the barbarian horde.
Atop its saddle is the tied-down knoll head
And URDOSH is painted broadly across its side.

Let them come.

"You have answered us WELL, Malaq! Continue, I shall not find a second horse.

"In truth, teach me: what is it that unifies you on the battlefield? How do you tell friend from foe?

"Teach me to blend in among you, Malaq-- and I am done with you."

I feel like I'm losing the LOUD and GUTTERAL part of his character; I'll find some way to make up for it in the future :smallwink:

Vonwalt
2015-05-29, 05:26 PM
Malaq kind of looks at the four of you blankly. "Being a gnoll would be a good start," she says. "Dying your hair red? Flags and heraldry are for settlers. Metal armor, too. Not enough metal for anything but spear-tips."

Devilfish
2015-06-01, 04:55 PM
"Red dye... studded leather armor..." Urdosh notes aloud, preparing a mental list. "That should do easily. Thank you, Malaq. I've no use for you anymore."

The half orc rises from his seat, resting the glaive heavily across his shoulders. A long breeze blows across the scene, and the air is thick with silence between the two. He stares at her, as if his eyes were filled with deliberation... But really, there is hardly a decision to make in his mind.

There is no need for another mouth to feed. Urdosh tightens his grip

He promptly takes two steps forward and boots her in the chest off his cart.

"Ask her whatever you please," he suggests to his allies, stretching out on the new space afforded in his cart, "we'll drop her off by the guards afterwards, and be rid of her. Let them deal with this."

He senses the brief tension in the air.

"Wut. You didn't think I was gonna..."

Faolan7
2015-06-02, 12:47 AM
That was amazing.

Tymir squats beside Malaq and politely asks if he may have her money.

I'm not sure which check to use, but I'm pretty sure it would either be bluff or diplomacy. My modifers for each are the same, so here's my roll, but I'd like to know which one I should use.
[roll0]

Vonwalt
2015-06-02, 05:32 PM
Diplomacy, if you want to be polite; she's tied up and she can't exactly stop you from just taking it. She appreciates the gesture though, and laughs as you go through her purse of gold. That's 35 gold pieces from her, and a couple of little woven charms made out of grass and thread that she asks to keep.

Urdosh, she takes your kicking in good stride, tucking and rolling to avoid getting injured when she hits the ground.

Faolan7
2015-06-05, 09:54 PM
Tymir grins "Thank you." then gets up and asks Gelandr "Y'know those swords you got from the gnolls? Mind if I have them?"

Vonwalt
2015-06-07, 01:19 AM
KREPOST
You all are currently on the edge of the market square, surrounded by arguing wagoneers and off-duty soldiers. the market is full of dwarfs and men buying and selling ordinary goods; in particular, there is a large horse-market full of various draft animals.

To your left is the Inn, which is again packed with soldiers, some of whom have staggered drunkenly out into the street and appear to be readying themselves for a fight.
Across the square is a large stone fortress or castle, its wooden doors half-open and flanked by guards. There is a series of notices, handbills, and posters nailed to one door, and as you watch, a dwarf in a breastplate comes out and nails another one.

To your right is a line of small shrines and temples to various gods, heavily featuring the dwarfish pantheon but including small shrines to every major religion. In front of one is a mourning party, a woman beside herself with grief sobbing on the cobblestones, while the rest of the party stands uncomfortably back from them.

Faolan7
2015-06-07, 10:36 PM
Tymir walks past the mourning group quickly and to the noticeboard and examines it carefully.

Thank you! I'll try to explore more in the future.

Vonwalt
2015-06-09, 12:06 AM
No worries at all! I kind of forgot that it's not as easy or immediate to ask questions over the text forum as it is in real life. If you're ever not sure what's going on or I've explained something badly, just ask me to describe the scene!

The posters are for a number of different things; the most recent one is a bounty on someone called "Marina the Gray," a human bandit leader of some kind. Apparently, she's been attacking caravans bringing supplies to the soldiers in the city.
Next, another bounty on a "shadowy figure" seen at a ruin north and east of the city. An archaeologist called Osterman from your home kingdom in the south claims to have been attacked by some kind of evil spirit or assassin while investigating the ruins. It's got his contact information, i.e. the name of an inn in another part of the city.
There's a very vague poster with a sort of caricature of a witch, promising rewards for any information about someone called the Burnwitch, last seen near Mossvald (which is some ways up the river to the west).
Then there are a number of propaganda flyers and more mundane advertisements. Join the city guard! Buy meat from Karnsteen's! that sort of thing.
Behind all of those are two much stranger things. One is an excellently drawn figure of a beautiful woman emerging from a pool of water. Beneath it is the name of what you assume to be some local lord: Baron Jadomir Kiren.
The other is actually carved into the door; it's a very crude map of a crossroads with an X to one side of it and the name of a town (Bitberg) scratched above.

Faolan7
2015-06-12, 01:08 PM
I'm gonna go... Also, since Gelandr's gone, can we pretend he gave the short swords to me?
Tymir examines the picture of the woman closely, and after, asks the guard(s) who Baron Jadomir Kiren is.

Vonwalt
2015-06-12, 01:33 PM
Yes, short swords for you! Also, since we're not in combat, as long as you don't go too far afield you can act whenever. No real turn order right now.

The woman is very beautiful, human or half-elf. would you make a nature check for me? (or if you don't have nature, an intelligence roll)

Regardless of that result, once you ask the guards, they both chuckle, and the one on the left, a fresh-faced human lad, answers you.
"Saw the poster, did you? The Baron drew that himself. I guess you must be from out of town, because everyone around here knows the story. It was ten years ago-"
"Fifteen, now," says the other guard.
"-Fifteen years ago, fine. The baron, he's lord of a castle in the woods, east of here, and a little village, but then he was just the son of the old baron. Anyway, he was riding through the woods when he came across a spring with this woman in it. What happened between them, who knows, but he's loved her ever since."
"Been obsessed with her, more like," says the other guard. "He's offering a huge reward for anyone who can find news of her. And he neglects his duties as Baron as well. He was supposed to send a troop of armsmen to the city for the muster, but they ain't come yet."

Faolan7
2015-06-12, 03:37 PM
Intelligence: [roll0]

"Oh. Thank you!" Tymir says as he flips a silver coin to the guard who talked, then runs off to the market.

Vonwalt
2015-06-12, 05:34 PM
In regards to your intelligence check: the picture has some subtle detailing on it that indicate to you that this woman is not either human or elf but something else. It looks like she has gills, and certain other things about her are odd. Perhaps she is some sort of merfolk or water fey?

The market is packed with people of all races, loudly talking laughing, and engaging in commerce. Most of this business is decidedly mundane farmer's market type stuff (carrots, potatoes, hay and wheat and draft animals) but two stalls stand out to you as unusual. One is a heavily armored wagon that has the side folded down and a series of small bottles arrayed on racks, while the other is a deep purple tent. It's got a small sign by it that says "Enchantment."

Was there anything in particular you were looking for in the market?

Faolan7
2015-06-13, 07:14 PM
OOC: Nope. Just wandering around.

Tymir walks over to wagon with bottles, but glances at his coin pouch before he starts walking. At the wagon, Tymir begins casually examining the bottles.

OOC: I feel bad going so often, so I'm going to wait for Urdosh to do something

Vonwalt
2015-06-13, 07:15 PM
No problem! I sent them a message; hopefully they're still around. I'm a little worried that I haven't heard from them or Evyldead...