PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Goliath Ranger

DireSickFish
2015-05-05, 09:16 PM
Going to be doing Elemental Evil and really want to use a race that comes from the book. Figured I'd give the Goliath a shot. Let me know what you think of my ranger build. We will be starting level 3 and I think I can build him to be good at clearing out mooks. We will be using point buy.

Race: Goliath
Class: Hunter Ranger 3
Str: 17
Dex: 8
Con: 16
Int: 10
Wis: 14
Cha: 8

AC: 14 (It'll be 19 once I get Heavily armored at lvl4 and find some fullplate)
HP: 31
Background: Urchin
Languages: Common, Giant, Primordial

Skills: Athletics (from Goliath), Sleight of hand (from Urchin), Stealth (from Urchin), Investigation, Perception, Survival

Stones Endurance
Powerful Build
Mountain Born
Favord Enemy: Elementals
Natural Explorer: Mountain
Fighting Style: Defense
Primeval Awareness
Hoard Breaker (for more mook killing with my two handed weapon)

1st lvl spells known: Hunters Mark, Absorb elements, No idea for the 3rd spell, any ideas?

I plan on using a Maul for big hits. I'll take Heavily armored to get my STR to 18 and get me a halfway decent AC at lvl4. Then I'll be taking Great Weapon Fighting at 8 so I can get 4 attacks in a round against various targets if I'm killing things. I'll probably do Multiattack defense at lvl7 but Escape the Hoard is tempting.

Please no spoilers about Elemental Evil. I would appreciate some feedback on the build.

Giant2005
2015-05-05, 09:56 PM
Goodberry is an excellent third spell for you to choose.
As for everything else... Just go with it man. The build is far from optimal and can never be optimal with the combination of race, class and background you have chosen but you have obviously chosen based on concept and you shouldn't deter from that. Your character will work just fine and that is all you need it to do.

Gwendol
2015-05-06, 03:23 AM
I'd consider a reach weapon to extend your kill zone. You should be able to trigger horde breaker more often that way too. Why sleight of hand? Knowledge Nature, or Acrobatics seem like a more natural choice.

Here's a good ranger guide: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?374666-Not-All-Who-Wander-are-Lost-A-Ranger-s-Guide

My suggestion for spell is either goodberry, cure wounds, or ensnaring strike. You will eventually want to end up with one healing spell and ensnaring strike.

noce
2015-05-06, 03:56 AM
Stealth with 8 dex and disadvantage from heavy armor seems worthless...really, even my grandma is going to spot and hear you :P
Except for the background, everything else is fine and I really like goliath rangers :)

Rhaegar14
2015-05-06, 04:00 AM
As for everything else... Just go with it man. The build is far from optimal and can never be optimal with the combination of race, class and background you have chosen but you have obviously chosen based on concept and you shouldn't deter from that. Your character will work just fine and that is all you need it to do.

While this is true, I have to ask about the choice of Urchin for background. It's completely out of line with the character mechanically, and thematically doesn't make much sense for a Goliath. Can you elaborate on this character's backstory a bit?

Gwendol
2015-05-06, 04:19 AM
Stealth with 8 dex and disadvantage from heavy armor seems worthless...really, even my grandma is going to spot and hear you :P
Except for the background, everything else is fine and I really like goliath rangers :)

Yes, I did pick up on that too, while forgetting to touch on it. Stealth is very good for an archer ranger, less so for someone planning to hammer enemies with a maul wearing full plate. It's not worthless (the die still has the greatest impact after all), but other skills will give you more mileage.

DireSickFish
2015-05-06, 07:26 AM
While this is true, I have to ask about the choice of Urchin for background. It's completely out of line with the character mechanically, and thematically doesn't make much sense for a Goliath. Can you elaborate on this character's backstory a bit?

As a young Goliath out on the streets of whatever-city-this-adventure-takes-place he was mercilessly picked on for being different and not fitting in with the other kids. Malnourished with no folks made him an easy target. He nevery really fought back. Until one day the Zhents saw a him and thought "Hey we could use him to hit things really hard". Being the first people that showed anything close to compassion he joined gladly. they trained him to be the brute that he is today. The Zents may have been using him but he got a place to fit in the world in return. He still lacks confidence but is otherwise a good warrior.

That's the back story I'm running with, if another background sounds like it'd fit and be better mechanically I can swap it out.

Giant2005
2015-05-06, 07:36 AM
As a young Goliath out on the streets of whatever-city-this-adventure-takes-place he was mercilessly picked on for being different and not fitting in with the other kids. Malnourished with no folks made him an easy target. He nevery really fought back. Until one day the Zhents saw a him and thought "Hey we could use him to hit things really hard". Being the first people that showed anything close to compassion he joined gladly. they trained him to be the brute that he is today. The Zents may have been using him but he got a place to fit in the world in return. He still lacks confidence but is otherwise a good warrior.

That's the back story I'm running with, if another background sounds like it'd fit and be better mechanically I can swap it out.

Wel that backstory has two different periods where he could have honed his skills: On the streets as an urchin or as a soldier for the Zhents.
It makes more sense to me for him to have the Soldier background. The skills suit his strengths better which makes it the mechanically superior option and more thematic too imo. It doesn't make so much sense that he would spend so much time and effort honing his dexterity-related skills while sucking at it every step of the way.

DireSickFish
2015-05-06, 12:43 PM
I'm wondering of starting with a level in something that gives me heavy armor proff then going ranger would be better than waiting to take the feat. A War Cleric or Fighter as my level 1.

Soldier background could work, I'd need to swap Athletics for something else as I'm already getting that via my race.

Mindtour
2015-05-06, 01:10 PM
I'm wondering of starting with a level in something that gives me heavy armor proff then going ranger would be better than waiting to take the feat. A War Cleric or Fighter as my level 1.

Soldier background could work, I'd need to swap Athletics for something else as I'm already getting that via my race.

Starting Fighter would get you the Heavy Armor proficiency and a fighting style (GWF), then taking your levels in Ranger would net you a different fighting style at Ranger2. (Defense for +1 AC?)

Dontdestroyme
2015-05-06, 05:12 PM

I don't really think it's worth it, but If you can move some stats around to not have negative dex that would be good for you.

Then you'll be one level behind on ranger, and by the time you hit Ranger 3 and became a hunter you'll be level four and would of had heavy armor from a feat anyway... Plus you probably won't have enough money to have plate anyway until around then.

Gwendol
2015-05-07, 01:38 AM
Yeah, you can safely dump INT. It's a near worthless stat for anyone not using it for casting. "5e: D&D for dummies edition"

Mandragola
2015-05-07, 03:45 AM
Trouble with multiclassing is that you have a minimum dex requirement to become a ranger.