PDA

View Full Version : Missing arm flaw consequences?

Reprimand
2015-05-05, 10:39 PM
I'm considering playing a character with only one arm as a flaw for flavor can I get a list of things I can't really do with one arm or items I'll miss out on etc?

The character is a spellcaster but the DM ruled that I can still use somatic components normally.

Aegis013
2015-05-06, 12:22 AM
Lose a ring slot, Arms slot is questionable.

With one arm you can't two hand weapons (only really matters on a caster at very low levels for crossbows or the like), it'd be very difficult to reload crossbows, or wield weapons that normally require two hands, such as bows. You might be proficient if you're an elf or something, and you might be able to talk your DM into letting you use it in the manner of a footbow, but that's questionable as well.

Holding an object and retrieving a material component would be difficult (metamagic rod, potion, +1 warning quarterstaff, whatever might be in hand), you also wouldn't have a free hand for casting if you were holding an object.

I'd guess you'd take a circumstance penalty to climb, use rope, and maybe some other skills. Might get a circumstance bonus to escape artist though.

There's really not a definitive answer here. Just see what you and your DM generally come up with, or adjust on the fly as needed during the game.