PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Slurs and Stereotypes

Mr. Mask
2015-05-05, 11:57 PM
In your setting, scifi or fantasy, what slurs and stereotypes exist between different groups?

One I have is that goblins are considered baby eaters, despite having no history of eating babies, as far as anyone remembers.

VoxRationis
2015-05-06, 12:33 AM
In my current setting, elves are known as cowards who only fight when the odds are overwhelmingly in their favor. (Which is true, owing largely to their being immortal but lacking an afterlife.) They also have gained a reputation as scheming, duplicitous sorts in recent years.

Milo v3
2015-05-06, 12:37 AM
People in my setting joke that dromites are terrified of shoes, since people step on ants.

goto124
2015-05-06, 01:09 AM
Filthy Mudblood!

Sith_Happens
2015-05-06, 01:48 AM
Filthy Mudblood!

Hey, what did earth gensai ever do to you?

Marlowe
2015-05-06, 02:06 AM
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/Joncharlesspencer/GenasiCry.jpg

Rhaegar14
2015-05-06, 04:39 AM
"Devilspawn" is a pretty popular slur for Tieflings in the setting my group is playing right now. We also borrowed "knife-ears" from somewhere for Elves, which are largely hated in the nation the campaign takes place in.

Marlowe
2015-05-06, 05:46 AM
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/Joncharlesspencer/devilspawn.jpg

Joe the Rat
2015-05-06, 07:45 AM
"Devilspawn" is a pretty popular slur for Tieflings in the setting my group is playing right now. We also borrowed "knife-ears" from somewhere for Elves, which are largely hated in the nation the campaign takes place in.I've seen knife-ears used for githyanki (they are sometimes described as being serrated).

The only one I've got is one clan of Dwarves being called "perverts," due to their deviant tendency to use arcane magic. The Mist Elf (from the typical "mysterious mystic isles") is called "fish-boy" based on the smell, but that's more personal than racial.

Hmmm, I think I need more slurs.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-06, 08:19 AM
It's not PC for a PC to notice race.

goto124
2015-05-06, 08:31 AM
From a PC's point of view, there are two races:

1) PCs
2) NPCs

:smallbiggrin:

Palegreenpants
2015-05-06, 08:39 AM
I've seen knife-ears used for githyanki (they are sometimes described as being serrated).

The only one I've got is one clan of Dwarves being called "perverts," due to their deviant tendency to use arcane magic. The Mist Elf (from the typical "mysterious mystic isles") is called "fish-boy" based on the smell, but that's more personal than racial.

Hmmm, I think I need more slurs.

'Knife-ears' originates from Dragon Age, actually. They call the Elves many insulting things.

DragonBaneDM
2015-05-06, 08:51 AM
Metal monkeys was a slur my DM had a tielfing NPC call a sect of warforged the other day.

goto124
2015-05-06, 09:17 AM
Meat monkeys are what the warforged refer to the humans as.

GungHo
2015-05-06, 09:43 AM
The Witcher (books and games) also has examples of many slurs. Many of which are not repeatable here.

dysprosium
2015-05-06, 11:15 AM
In my current campaign world (based on the War of the Burning Sky adventure path) orcs are sometimes referred to as 'tuskers.'

Anonymouswizard
2015-05-06, 11:23 AM
For my GURPS fantasy setting:

Mongrels for humans.

Elves are called bureaucrats, due to them having a very organised culture. Also occasionally goldies in reference to their skin tone, as my elves are Chinese.

Dwarves have a stereotype of going boom.is is more a unfortunate side effect of having many alchemists, and a culture where they only own what they can carry. No really slurs specifically directed at them, as they are well integrated with humans.

Demonface to a troll's back. Orcs are likewise called pigmen occasionally.

Changelings are called 'betweeners', if someone knows what they are. Otherwise it's more along the lines of witch or demon.

Shapeshifters are called furries, witches, devilkin, beasts, and a great many others.

Gemini Lupus
2015-05-06, 01:45 PM
In my world, the iconic d&d character names are slurs. So calling a Dwarf Tordek, an Elf Mialee, etc are akin to calling Germans "Gerry" or Vietnamese "Charlie." I feel like it gives the world a more authentic/natural feel. And it gives those names/characters a place.

Slipperychicken
2015-05-07, 12:15 AM
Elf = Knife-ears, nancy-boy, sissy, lembas

Orc, Goblin, Troll = Greenskin

Tiefling = Horns, Rojo (red), demon-spawn

Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome = Midget, shorty

Xuc Xac
2015-05-07, 01:16 AM
Isn't calling a tiefling "demonspawn" or "devilspawn" like calling someone born out of wedlock a bastard?

hamishspence
2015-05-07, 02:11 AM
I can just imagine a tiefling villain (who prides themselves on their fiendish heritage) - chiding enemies for using the wrong one:

Paladin: "Die, hellspawn!"
Tiefling: "Abyss-spawn, you idiot. Get it right."

Slipperychicken
2015-05-07, 02:18 AM
Isn't calling a tiefling "demonspawn" or "devilspawn" like calling someone born out of wedlock a bastard?

As long as they feel bad when you say it, it doesn't really matter what you're saying.

I've been thinking about calling humans "monkeys", but the situation hasn't come up in-game yet.

Marlowe
2015-05-07, 02:36 AM

It's more like calling someone whose surname starts with "Fitz-" a bastard.:smallwink:

VoxRationis
2015-05-07, 04:10 AM
As long as they feel bad when you say it, it doesn't really matter what you're saying.

I've been thinking about calling humans "monkeys", but the situation hasn't come up in-game yet.

Who's calling them monkeys? All of the other PHB races (3.5; 4th and 5th shook things up a bit) are just as firmly in Hominini as humans are. Neotenized facial structure (except for orcs), bipedalism, even that unflared ribcage which is actually found only in H. sapiens.

hymer
2015-05-07, 04:54 AM
Who's calling them monkeys? All of the other PHB races (3.5; 4th and 5th shook things up a bit) are just as firmly in Hominini as humans are. Neotenized facial structure (except for orcs), bipedalism, even that unflared ribcage which is actually found only in H. sapiens.

Slurs don't have to be biologically accurate, you know. And people using slurs are often prone to hypocrisy.

In Thedas (the Dragon Age setting, so named because that's what it is) 'shemlen' is elvish for 'human', while 'shem' is an elvish slur on humans. Fereldans (a human culture) usually get hit with dog-loving metaphors.

Orcs of Middle-earth have been known to call the Rohirrim 'horse boys', and Numenoreans 'Tarks' IIRC. Fair-skinned humans in general were called 'whiteskins' by Orcs, as well.

Altair_the_Vexed
2015-05-07, 06:23 AM
In my setting, there are a bunch of common stereotypes that get thrown around by the ignorant and bigoted.

Halflings are thieves, and paedophiles - cause they look like children, right? If kids ever go missing, halflings get lynched.
Dwarves are dirty, and took our jobs. Coming over here with their "engineering" and efficient "work-ethics" *spits*. Expect to see mobs of unemployed workers attacking dwarven engineering projects.
Elves are sexually deviant and lazy. Look at them - how can you even tell if it's a girl or a bloke? Cause they don't care. Never see them do anything in a hurry, either, always lounging about playing music or dancing.

Humans? Well, they're stupid bigots, for a start. And they breed like flies. With anyone.

Please excuse these in-character slurs! I'm just exploring racial tension themes through the fantasy medium.

Worgwood
2015-05-07, 06:36 AM
A friend who I played Warcraft RPG with for awhile referred to the draenei as "cobblestones", which was a clever throwback to their lore.

More setting-neutral, some of my group call dwarves "earthworms", elves "fairies" and "tree rats", and thereon. And I always kind of thought "halfling" sounded like enough of an insult on its own, to be honest.

goto124
2015-05-07, 06:48 AM
Kender....

Marlowe
2015-05-07, 06:50 AM
Come to think of it, my characters have a bad habit of referring to Kobolds as "Chicken-Lizzies".

chainer1216
2015-05-07, 06:56 AM
We have a couple players prone to playing dwarves in our group so other than humans they are a pretty common sight, as such we've heard a couple slurs here and there.

The worst is "digger" though even admitting we used that a couple times makes me feel really guilty, due to it rhyming with real world bigotry.

Lost in Hyrule
2015-05-07, 08:39 AM
It's not my setting, but Centaurs in Guild Wars call Humans 'Two-Legs'. I absolutely love how much spite they muster when saying it, despite it sounding silly to me!

Kantaki
2015-05-07, 09:41 AM
Das schwarze Auge(The Dark Eye) has some nice ones (some are rather setting specific)

Just from Memory there are this four:
rose-ear (human, elven slur)
blackfur (orc)
redfur (goblin)
beardmumbler (dwarves, elvish slur)

Every one thinks elves are arrogant, know it all treehuggers, elves see the others as impatient children that are bound to follow a path they recognice as a mistake, since it once almost led to their doom. (Thats DSAs Explanation for hippie-elves- the high elves went the way of all Empires and only the back to nature guys survived).

hamishspence
2015-05-07, 09:51 AM
It's not my setting, but Centaurs in Guild Wars call Humans 'Two-Legs'. I absolutely love how much spite they muster when saying it, despite it sounding silly to me!

"Four-legs good, two-legs bad"? :smallamused:

Bulldog Psion
2015-05-07, 09:54 AM
I wrote a short fantasy story once in which an insect-like, chitinous species referred to the humans they conquered with epithets such as "sack-body," "soft-guts," "slime-mouth," and the like. All based on the humans' relative external squishiness.

goto124
2015-05-07, 10:14 AM

Do all two-legged creatures look the same to them?

Atanvarno
2015-05-07, 10:20 AM
In a campaign of mine, on first contact with humans the civilized races classified them as a surprisingly large and numerous goblin variant.

So they called them Moblins.

Lost in Hyrule
2015-05-07, 12:10 PM
No, the centaurs aren't thugs, but they were actively being enslaved by humans. So they've come to spite them. One of them joins the party, and says of another human "If she had fur and two more shapely legs, one might think she was born of Centaur blood."

Jay R
2015-05-07, 01:48 PM
One of the best examples can be found in Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man, between the high priest and the highest level wizard.

"So ... how are things in the godbothering business?" said Ridcully.
"We do our humble best. How is the dangerous meddling in things man was not meant to understand?"
"Pretty fair, pretty fair."

Sith_Happens
2015-05-07, 07:41 PM
How about calling dwarves "dorfs?":smallwink:

Mr Beer
2015-05-07, 10:26 PM
My party (completely unprompted by me) refers to as elves "Tree-lovers", only the way they say it, it rhymes with "Tree-truckers".

roko10
2015-05-08, 01:19 AM
How about calling dwarves "dorfs?":smallwink:

That's just a term of endearment.

IZ42
2015-05-08, 06:53 AM
I find it fun to have Goliaths refer to EVERY OTHER race as "shorty", or "shortstuff" or shine variation thereof.

Reathin
2015-05-08, 08:46 AM
I have a cleric who hates, hates HATES druids and will take any opportunity to belittle, degrade, harm, subvert or otherwise cause damage to anything druidic she can get her hands on, preferably with some good old fashioned, Talos-approved lightning. Slurs came out of her mouth just about every time they were referenced (she considers druids more of a culture than a profession, so I'm pretty sure it counts as slurs).

Tree hugger, tree humper, moss brain, dim-witted hyper-passive contrarians, stagnants, reekers (as in reeking smell), etc.

hamishspence
2015-05-08, 09:49 AM
I have a cleric who hates, hates HATES druids and will take any opportunity to belittle, degrade, harm, subvert or otherwise cause damage to anything druidic she can get her hands on, preferably with some good old fashioned, Talos-approved lightning.

Be interesting to see what happens when this character runs into a Talos-worshipping CE or CN druid - who sees lightning bolts and forest fires as all that is best in nature.

TheCountAlucard
2015-05-08, 12:05 PM
Stereotypes, you say...? :smallamused:

Assamite: They fell too far from the tree to have a place in our world.
Followers of Set: Oily *******s. I have to wonder what they're hiding if what they don't mind showing you is so heinous.
Gangrel: They fight well, and they're willing to go to the wall for what they believe in. Maybe we'll join them if they leave the Camarilla. Or maybe we'll leave first....
Giovanni: I'm not sure what their angle is, but if it involves dealing with the dead, it can't be good.
Lasombra: Swing first and ask questions later when dealing with these Kindred, or they'll talk you into slitting your own throat.
Malkavian: They're completely bat****, but at least they don't immediately hate you based on who you are.
Nosferatu: Geh! Still, they hit as hard as we do, and they know everything, so it's probably best just to be civil with them. After all, the poor *******s need all the friends they can get.
Ravnos: Touch my **** and I'll rip out your ****ing heart, *********.
Toreador: Have any of these Kindred ever actually done anything? Or do they just snipe at each other every night?
Tremere: It's like someone Embraced a bunch of D&D geeks and told them their spells were real.
Tzimisce: Take 'em or leave 'em. The one I met seemed more trustworthy than most of my Camarilla "Kindred," but I can't help but think it's because she wanted something.
Ventrue: These fascist *******s are complete hypocrites, just like anyone else with a bit of power to throw around. My sire says they ****ed us over a while back. Paybacks are hell, mother****ers.
Caitiff: I have a couple of friends among the Clanless. We are the only clan that treats these unfortunates as equals.
Camarilla: The lesser of two evils - at least they're better organized than the Sabbat.
Sabbat: Then again, there's something to be said for decisive action.
Assamite: Jackals playing at being lions.
Brujah: So much fury for so little gain.
Followers of Set: They stink of disease worse than most of us do. Then again, we're all corpses.
Giovanni: Who cares? What do they have to do with us?
Lasombra: Honest *******s. Competent *******s. *******s nonetheless.
Malkavian: Either they know the greatest secrets, or they've played us all for fools. Whichever, I keep my distance.
Nosferatu: Wise observers and useful allies. Still, I wouldn't chose to lair in a pest-hole.
Ravnos: That these honorless bitches dare to claim kinship with us is an insult.
Toreador: Pointless waste.
Tremere: They are not vampires, try though they might. The reckoning has merely been postponed.
Tzimisce: Pointless waste.
Ventrue: Their foolish power-games keep the others preoccupied, and so we tolerate them for now.
Caitiff: We bear the blame for many of these wretches. Ultimately, though, they must make of unlife what they can.
Camarilla: A blood-wind harbinges the coming hurricane; perhaps it's time to leave the shack before it crashes down arouad us.
Sabbat: We stay and go, spare and kill as we choose, O Black Hand.
Assamite: So. That's done, then.
Brujah: I want to like your average Brujah, but his skull's just so ****ed thick that he can't crack it open and get at the good stuff he doesn't even know he's got in there. So forget him.
Followers of Set: I can't understand them. Aren't they mad yet? Don't they understand what they've seen? *******. *******....
Gangrel: They aren't animals, no matter people say. Look under the skin of the corpse, then look under the layer of beast-thought, and what do you find? A secret worse then man, corpse or animal? Yes? Yes!
Giovanni: What price did these idiots pay for their inside gossip? It's yesterday's news, anybody can find if it they listen, and the Giovanni have sold their souls for it so they can call it their "biig secret." Feh.
Lasombra: (An explosion of helpless, hysterical giggling, swelling up into full-throated laughter.)
Nosferatu: They just about mortified enough of their own flesh to blast through the wall of delusion from the other side of perception. They're onto something but who knows if there'll be anything left of them when they get there?
Ravnos: Call us deluded? Go look at Ravnos for a while.
Toreador: Puppets who pull their own strings, or offer them to anybody who wants to make them dance.
Tremere: They. Are on. To us.
Tzimisce: Penguins. They decided they like the water so much, they traded in their wings for flippers. And they were so close...
Ventrue: They will never accept it, no matter who tries to hand it to 'em. Well, don't say we didn't warn you.
Caitiff: From their number will the Herald emerge.
Camarilla: It's like The Haunting of Hill House, but you can't wait for the ending, where they wake up and realize what they are!
Sabbat: It's more fun when you don't try so hard.
Assamite: This is bad. This is straight-up, ****ed-up bad. Roll around in sewage; maybe they won't wanna bite you.
Brujah: They talk a lot about equality and egalitarianism and other bull****, but they flinch like the rest.
Followers of Set: What have they got that we need? Money? Hah. Fancy clothes? Hah. A comfortable apartment? Hah. Lovers?!? Hah!!! Can't corrupt what's already filthy, gardenslugs.
Gangrel: They understand - more than the others do, at any rate. We don't talk much, and the silence speaks volumes.
Giovanni: You know that odor that comes off my skin after a good rain? That Giovanni I met had that coming from the inside. I smelled it coming out of her mouth when she sucked up to me about "partnership."
Lasombra: Mean, mean *******s. Can't even trust the shadows when you are around 'em. They won't go down first or easy, I'll tell ya that now.
Malkavian: There's a nasty smell on the wind, and it's not us. Watch 'em, observe what they do. When you can't see 'em anymore, run or hide.
Ravnos: Easily dismissed. Way, way too easily dismissed. I'm beginning to think we may have made a bad, bad mistake here...
Toreador: These pusbags sure make themselves easy to have, don't they?
Tremere: You really thought abracadabras and eye of newt would let you dive in the deep end of your Jyhad? Idiots. Have fun in Hell.
Tzimisce: In theory, I can appreciate their conceit of being monsters through and through. Unpretentious, in a way. In practice, they're ****ed-up *****es, and I hate 'em.
Ventrue: Little Lord Fauntleroy sat on a throne, Little Lord Fauntleroy died there alone.
Caitiff: Kick or be kicked, Lickboy. I know which one I'm going to do.
Camarilla: Come on down here and give me that order again, Mr. Prince. Yeah, didn't think so.
Sabbat: Do they really think that what they do is liberating?
Assamite: There is beauty in what they do, make no mistake, but it is a beauty best observed from a distance.
Brujah: On the first night, their passion terrifies. On the second night, their passion fascinates. On the third night, their passion inflames. After that... frankly, their passion begins to bore.
Followers of Set: It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.
Gangrel: As charmingly untamed as a tiger; as worthy of consideration as a housecat.
Giovanni: They dress splendidly and are charmingly manneder. Why, then, do they frighten me so?
Lasombra: Their Miltonian conceit is dreadfully provocative, or provacatively dreadful but they take it all so seriously.
Malkavian: The frectured kaleidoscope of their thoughts is enchanting at fist glimpse. Gaze at it too long, though, and one grows prone to terrible headaches.
Nosferatu: Odious beats! And to think that they are allowed in the halls of culture! Oh, how gauche...
Ravnos: The subjects of many delightful stories - well, dreadful so long as one does not also feature in the tale.
Tremere: One deals with the butcher and the bureaucrat because they provide useful conveniences. One graciously acknowledges services efficiently performed. One does not, though, invite the hired help to the soiree, nor take kindly to party-crashers.
Tzimisce: To experience this clan's alien fruits would be almost worth the price. Remember well that "almost," dear.
Ventrue: Every masterwork must have its frame; every bust must have its pillar. This the Ventrue understand, and they perform their functions admirably.
Caitiff: Really. Who let them in?
Camarilla: Through its auspices may Kindred and kine harmoniously coexist, each benefiting from the other's presence.
Sabbat: Why would I wish to spend eternity wallowing in gore?
Assamite: What is there to say? If they have thwarted our sorceries, then we have no choice but to erase them from the face of the planet as quickly as we can - or convince others to do it for us.
Brujah: Time has been cruel. When first we met, the Brujah were the scholars of our kind. Now they have crumbled to a sorry state, and we have taken up the flame of knowledge in their stead. It is only fitting, but it somehow seems wasteful. No matter.
Followers of Set: Damn them! Always prying with their slitted eyes and forked tongues, and always slipping back into the darkest corners, smiling the whole timr! What do they know?
Gangrel: These beasts feign loyalty, but are all too willing to hand us over to the Tzimisce if an excuse presents itself. We must be certain always to remain stronger than these hyenas who blame us for their old, poorly healed wounds.
Giovanni: They have made some rather impressive inroads into the arts, in a narrow-minded, limited sort of way. Still, it would seem that necrophilia as unhealthy for the undead mind as it is for the living.
Lasombra: For all their pretense of sophistication, their willingness to lie down with the Tzimisce clearly reveals their true savagery.
Malkavian: Their prattle of "insights" unknown to us grows tiresome very quickly. But however poor dinner guests they may be, they are seers of exceptional clarity. There's a trick to such perceptual shortcuts, and we can yet descover it.
Nosferatu: Some tasks are too noisome even for us, and the Nosferatu make appropriate lackeys to these ends.
Ravnos: They may be themselves magicians after a fashion, but give me 10 minutes with one of these charlatans and we shall see whose art has the true power.
Toreador: They are Aesop's grasshopper; we are the ant. They thinl to justify their immortality with their art and their parties, cold times are coming sooner than they think.
Tzimisce: One of the first lessons we all learn is that these Old World monsters still want nothing more than to rend our flesh from our bones. If that is the tune they prefer, we shall see how they dance when their rotting mansions are burning down around them.
Ventrue: These creatures obsess over control but have no sensibility for the finer points of power.
Caitiff: The other clans scorn our lineage, yet look how many of these bastard childe? they create.
Camarilla: There is strength in a tower, no matter how decrepit some of the bricks be.
Sabbat: They fancy themselves free? Fools.

Assamite: Nobility once belonged to this clan, but they have cast aside their honor in pursuit of wanton diablerie.
Brujah: Old wounds scar the Rabble. These hotheads cultivate buried hatreds better than the harpies do. Still, we must be tolerant - centuries of failure must surely be difficult to bear.
Followers of Set: Their association with serpents is more than appropriate, for their poison infects all whom they taint with their presence. Do not allow them in your domain.
Gangrel: They are as trustworthy and useful as well-bred dogs. We send them forh when it is time for hunting, then call them back to the kennel when more subtle tasks beckon. In this way does everyone fulfill their role.
Giovanni: There are none so base as those who would raze the pillar of stability to further their own twisted interests.
Lasombra: For time out of mind have we dueled with these self-styled Keepers. It is a small comfort to see they cannot achieve for their Sabbat what we have garnered for the Camarilla. All the capering and bloodsports in the world cannot disguise inadequacy.
Malkavian: The price they pay for their supposed enlightenment far exceeds its benefice. Still, learn from them what you may.
Nosferatu: These pitiful creatures still pay the debt earned by their sires so many nights ago, though through no fault of their own.
Ravnos: Exercise the wisdom of the ancient kings when dealing with these vulgar deceivers.
Toreador: Truly, their great passion must be a curse, for Kindred lack the ability to create what they may only impotently observe.
Tremere: It is good that they favor stability, otherwise their depredations might outweigh their utility.
Tzimisce: Are there any left? How quaint!
Caitiff: One can choose neither one's parents nor one's sire, so bear them no ill will unless they earn it.
Camarilla: This is both our honor and our penance.
Sabbat: Infantile and unruly, the Sabbat abandons any hope of redemption.
Assamite: Useful tools, though a bit too... independent of late.
Brujah: Their fiery passion, once harvested, makes a wonderful means through which to use them toward your own ends.
Followers of Set: Hmm... How best to keep them in Egypt?
Gangrel: Easily excited; terrible, monstrous foes. Agitate them and turn them loose on your enemies.
Giovanni: The tree that does not branch hides rot within.
Malkavian: Madness sometimes offers insight, but usually simply obstructs those who would glean its benefit.
Nosferatu: Useful as flies on the wall when you need them, but Nosferatu tend to draw too many flies themselves. Ravnos: Rather than deal with them directly, it's best to goad them somewhere else and let whoever dwells there address the problem.
Toreador: They possess the most tortured of unlives, and devious minds often lurk under their flighty facades.
Tremere: Inelegant, yet effective in their own way. Their continued existence certainly keeps the Fiends' attentions constructively channeled.
Tzimisce: Valorous allies and venomous rivals, often simultaneously.
Ventrue: Their potential is dissipated by their weakness. They squander their curse by lurking among mortals.
Caitiff: I find it unimaginable that any of these survive past the initial disappointment of learning what they are.
Camarilla: Acceptable, if you're talking about a kine institution. If you're a blood-sucking devil of the night, though, why hide train those upon whom you prey?
Sabbat: If it would merely listen a little better, it would almost lie worth the effort we invest in it.
Assamite: Once again the Turks howl outside the gates. The Final Nights must surely be nigh.
Brujah: Like ourselves, they have been unjustly toppled. Unlike ourselves, they have not adapted well at all.
Followers of Set: A worm, some say, can be cut in two, or even minced, yet each piece will wondrously grow whole once more. Can the Setites do likewise, I wonder?
Gangrel: Already the hunting hound paces its kennel. Soon it shall come and lick the feet of its old master.
Giovanni: Why do they obsess over states of being that, as immortals, we need not deign to trouble ourselves with?
Lasombra: They are shadows in truth - menacing but ultimately ephemeral. Still, ofttimes it is easier to accomplish tasks under cover of cloaking darkness.
Malkavian: The aphorism that genius and madness lie close at hand was assuredly coined by a Lunatic wretch who wished to concoct an excuse for his infirmity.
Nosferatu: No matter how one twists, they always return to their original state. Fascinating.
Ravnos: No one merits fiercer punishment than the uninvited guest.
Toreador: So lovely, so pliable, like dolls! Their most charming gift, though, is in the screaming.
Tremere: They wished for immortality; now they have it. Realize, upstarts, that agony properly administered can make an instant seem like an eternity, and that an eternity of eternities is a long time in which to suffer.
Ventrue: If one chooses, improperly, one can at least uphold one's error with dignity. The Ventrue embody much that is noble about the Damned, and so, when the time to destroy them comes, we will allow them to die the long way, with honor.
Caitiff: Most were created rashly; as such, few are of any use save as objects of study.
Camarilla: The cauldron in which the Ancients hope to cook a bloody stew. When it is tipped over, the others will see, and thank us.
Sabbat: Flawed, but our greatest - and only - hope nonetheless.
Brujah: Whatever gods we shared in the past, we have nothing in common now.
Followers of Set: To sup with snakes is to invite their poison to your table.
Gangrel: I would almost forsake the tainted blood of animals, but my need is great.
Giovanni: Let them traffic with their dead, but never suffer than to stain pair domain with their debased presences.
Lasombra: Untrustworthy and vulgar - but they are nonetheless game of our best employers.
Malkavians: Their blood brings madness when it stains our lips. Avoid them, lest you be tainted with their derangement.
Nosferatu: Their hideousness hides a semblalace of honor and, thus, they are fools.
Ravnos: I find the sounds of their exsanguination more musical than their ugly [snip] songs.
Toreador: A pursuit of beauty is luxury and, therefore, wasteful.
Tremere: We shall never again bear the indignity of their sorcery. The only good Tremere is the one you kill on the road back to Haqim's bosom.
Tzimisce: I am surprised that our mutual hatred for the Warlocks doesn't make us better bedfellows. It is irrelevant, however, as these relics mean nothing to the modern night.
Ventrue: Though they give us leave to practice our rites in cities they control, it was nevertheless the Blue Bloods who contrived to place us under Clan Tremere's curse.
Caitiff: Worthless chaff, fit only to be separated from the wheat. They are rarely missed, though their weak blood does us little long-term good.
Camarilla: Their nights are numbered, and we shall never forget the shackles they placed upon us.
Sabbat: Too callous and classless, and so dead-set against heeding their elders' advice that they remind one of adolescent children.
Assamite: It seems that our brothers have forgotten all their teachings at the merest taste of a drop of vitae. And what implications this has....
Brujah: They have forgotten more lessons than they've learned. Once worth a touch of respect, now... nothing, really.
Gangrel: Cunning in a savage sort of way, but lacking even the common sense of a wild dog. They have nothing we require, and are valuable only as an,abject lesson in control.
Giovanni: Dangerous rivals, although they balance such crassly material priorities along with their search for enlightenment.
Lasombra: Children of the void, though still fresh from the mother's teat and new-weaned on stolen vitae. Only the eldest among them have any idea of exactly what power they evoke.
Malkavian: Dangerous. They are the keepers of truths perhaps even older than we. Fortunate that the other clans are foolish enough to dismiss the mad ones' prophesying as delusion and rambling; were they wise enough to listen, Set's time might well have come before we were ready.
Nosferatu: A not-so-subtle reminder of what we all are, and why it is pointless to play at anything else.
Ravnos: Concern yourself not with the wandering adolescents of this clan; they are foolish and ignorant of their true lineage. It is the head of the rakshasa that bears watching, and its eyes have opened again.
Toreador: Such ardor is... admirable. I could become drunk on a Toreador's passion, and might drain him dry trying to fill myself with it.
Tremere: How like a precocious child, with spectacles perched so seriously on his nose and a heavy book in his lap! Ah, but this little darling might eventually prove dangerous, and so requires a patent's gentle guidance....
Tzimisce: Self-titled dragons who nonetheless crawl nightly on their bellies and feast on dust. They are crafty, but not so crafty as we.
Ventrue: They dislike us and spread slander against us, for they cannot accept that we are elder and of greater birth than they. Abide a while yet, and their rule will stop persecuting us soon enough.
Caitiff: Like the others, save more easily led. Their thin blood betrays the Cainites' essential weakness.
Camarilla: For all its skill at crafting Masquerades, it cannot see through its own veils.
Sabbat: A frightful mask does not a monster make. It simply makes a victim easier to spot.
Assamite: Their recent change in disposition makes me nervous.
Brujah: So much noise, and yet so little signal.
Followers of Set: Although they hail from the lands of the dead, there is little we can glean from them without tainting ourselves in the process.
Gangrel: Ultimately forgettable; we rarely cross paths.
Lasombra: They'll stab you in the back, but that's because they know how Kindred games are played.
Malkavian: The insight they offer is rarely worth the excruciating company they provide; I wonder if the "madness" is a simple sham to reduce their foes' defenses.
Nosferatu: This blighted clan has proved dangerously adept at uncovering secrets. Make no enemies among them, lest: you became the subject of their attentions.
Ravnos: No good can come of a Kindred who claims lies as his sire.
Toreador: Effete and indolent, the Toreador nonetheless wield appreciable assets.
Tremere: Slippery as eels, the Tremere are guilty of the same crime as we, yet they mire themselves in the same politics that damn them.
Tzimisce: An arcane, if outdated, evil.
Ventrue: They spend too much time cultivating their image as martyrs to get involved with something that truly matters; they lack direction.
Caitiff: Inconsequential and poorly bred; they are more mosquito than vampire.
Camarilla: Large, foolish and predictable. Like [snip] government.
Sabbat: Smaller, more foolish and less predictable. Like [snip] government.
Assamite: They've become even worse ghuts than ever before. The only good thing about them is that now the other clans hate and fear them so much that you can easily get plenty of cold bodies between yourself and one of these devourers.
Brujah: Go ahead and let them rattle their cages. If they bend the bars, we'll follow them out - and if the zookeeper shows up, they're the first to go.
Followers of Set: What is everyone so afraid of? Even a deal with the Devil isn't so bad if you read the fine print. Snakes can't poison me, and I don't have a soul to lose. Then again, if thought the same as me, I wouldn't have "preferred customer" status. So let 'em cringe.
Gangrel: Ourpoor cousins, if that's possible. They dig themselves holes in the mud and drag their matted ***es into the city only when the Camarilla whistles 'em up. Lapdogs gone feral, and who needs that kind of pet?
Giovanni: A family as much as a clan, same as us. Give 'em space, and maybe they'll do the same. If they don't, pack 'em off to hell. They'll be happiest there, anyway.
Lasombra: They look pretty soft, but these are some hard *******s, that's for sure. They ain't the new kid on the block, and they don't play kid games. (shrug) You gotta respect that.
Malkavian: They see too damn much and don't buy into anybody's delusions but their own. Don't like them, not one bit.
Nosferatu: Their eyes and ears are just too damn sharp for their own good. Be a shame if something... happened to those catacomb crawlers.
Toreador: Poet shirts, wine and roses, leather jackets, artsy tattoos. Kill me if I ever start acting like one of those limp****s.
Tremere: Our fellow sorcerers, conjuring up solid results to own shadows. Of course, they haven't half the edge we do - I'd be more afraid of my cousin's ghost-fire than the clumsy pyrotehnics of a Warlock.
Tzimisce: There are some real impurities in these *****es' blood. I say Caine took a shine to a monster sometime ago, and the Tzimisce are the result.
Ventrue: Bow if you have to, scrape if you must, and slit their throats for the blood if you can.
Caitiff: Like suckers, there seems to be one born every minute.
Camarilla: Everything we need, boxed up like a Christmas present.
Sabbat: They claim to love their existence. Amazing, then, how much their actions smack of self-loathing.

Darth Ultron
2015-05-09, 10:32 AM
Elves are seen as lazy and time wasters to shorter lived races. ''Faire'' is often used as a insult.

Dwarves are seen to have no sense of humor, no fun, always drunk, always angry, always loud and dirty. Anything ''dirt'' or ''dirty'' is a slur.

Halflings and Gnomes are often seen as ''dumb kids'' and talked down too.

Orcs are seen as monsters and treated as such.

mikeejimbo
2015-05-09, 11:18 AM
In my world, the iconic d&d character names are slurs. So calling a Dwarf Tordek, an Elf Mialee, etc are akin to calling Germans "Gerry" or Vietnamese "Charlie." I feel like it gives the world a more authentic/natural feel. And it gives those names/characters a place.

Similarly, I had a setting where giants were called "Lenny". Giants in this setting were basically slaves to dwarves (in a specific inversion of every other setting) because dwarves are much smarter and giants have a mentality kind of like a big dog - they are eager to please and enjoy attention and reward. The name is kind of derogatory, but is meant to lillustrate the fact that in this setting, dwarves are not necessarily good people. (No one is in my setting, except possibly one kingdom of humans, which is in danger of completely failing or being annexed by a neighboring kingdom.)

russdm
2015-05-09, 03:48 PM
(For a fantasy story I am trying to write)

Elves refer to Dwarves as Rats, while dwarves live in mountains or hills so they get called "Stone Rats" (For Mountain Dwarves) or "Hill Rats" (For Hill Dwarves). Since removing rat infestations is simply something you (the Elves) have to do, cue massive genocides to keep the rat (dwarf) population manageable...

Elves refer to humans as primarily "Dog" or "Beast" due to the view that humans are animals.

Humans refer to Elves as "Pointy Eared Tree Humpers" or the more frequently used "Elven Scum". A rare reference is "Pansy Tree Thumpers".

Humans refer to Dwarves as "Drunken mountain goats", "Drunken short rocks", "Drunken sods", and "Drunken Stone hugger", and the ever classical, widely used "Stone slabs". This is a reference to how Dwarves lay their dead on stone slabs for burial. A majorly used insult that frequently results in the Dwarf trying to kill the one saying it is "Gnome". All dwarves despise being called that and will kill whoever calls them that no matter what it takes.

Dwarves refer to Elves as (roughly translated) "Smelly pungent tree filth", (roughly translated) "Tree [rhymes with trucker]", (roughly translated) "Tree Killers", and the widely used (roughly translated) "Tree-spawn"

Dwarves refer to Humans, although roughly translated in each case, "Stone-lost bastards", "Tree Lover Dogs", "Target Practice", "Smelly dung eaters", "Monkey Spawn", and the widely used "Easy Lovers".

A note: All three races pretty much hate each others guts and have fought wars against each other repeatedly.

Ralanr
2015-05-09, 07:31 PM
In one of my favorite book series, dwarves are called groundlings by people who think that's their race name.

Komatik
2015-05-09, 07:48 PM
I find it fun to have Goliaths refer to EVERY OTHER race as "shorty", or "shortstuff" or shine variation thereof.

In one Dragonlance novel the ogres called most smaller creatures "birds".

Bard1cKnowledge
2015-05-21, 10:47 AM
I see racial slurs abound here, but what about Class specific slurrs?

As a rouge I always (jokingly) teased the paladin about he lost his non existing cape and codpiece

All paladins wear capes and codpieces, why should he be special?

Besides I say a codpiece helps with their diplomacy checks

Ralanr
2015-05-21, 12:58 PM
I see racial slurs abound here, but what about Class specific slurrs?

As a rouge I always (jokingly) teased the paladin about he lost his non existing cape and codpiece

All paladins wear capes and codpieces, why should he be special?

Besides I say a codpiece helps with their diplomacy checks

Barbarians are probably called Brutes or Oafs. Same with fighters but it applies less to the stereotype.

Sometimes being a brute is a good thing, people get surprised when you think of a complex solution, or destroy their complex plans with a few simple actions.

The look on their face is probably priceless.

King of Casuals
2015-05-21, 01:02 PM
I was once in a campaign where everyone was SUPER racist against Orcs. So racist in fact, that the reward for one of our quests was cut in half just for having a half-Orc in our party, even after I successfully cast charm person on the quest giver. It wasnt even just that area either, everywhere that we went (and we traveled around a lot) NPCs were d*cks to us just because we had a half-orc in our party. It might've even been a problem if I wasnt a manipulative Lawful Evil sorceress with a +20 to bluff at level 5.

Zalphon
2015-05-21, 02:43 PM
Humans:

-Imperfects (they are the oldest living race from which all modern races are descended; they are called imperfects as a way of noting that they are not as evolutionary perfect as they think).
-Patchworks (considered Patchworks because despite being the genetic progenitor of all modern races, there are no racially pure humans in this day and age. Everyone has a little bit of something in them).
-Godsmen (spoken sarcastically, this is said because humanity has frequently played "God" and created numerous beings (like the Velaxxians, a race of demon-like horrors who exist only to wage war and Dragons).

High Elves:

-Arcana-Rats (a slur related to the fact that High Elves traditionally stick to roles involving magic, despite the growing role of science in society).

Dark Elves:

-Grims (they are called 'Grims', because they traditionally have a bleak demeanor due to their society's worship of Fear).
-Inklings (termed Inklings for their dark skin and high brow culture).
-Mirsans (a term used for a sect of the Dark Elves who live on one of the world's two moons, Mirsa).

Wood Elves:

-Wildlings (considered this by their Elven cousins for the fact that Wood Elves have traditionally lived in the Jungles of Amadon and practiced Druidism).
-Ragehearts (given this name by an anthropologist who witnessed Wood Elf Berserkers in combat).

Dwarves:

-Flesh-Heaps (a moniker earned by the fact that Dwarves, like Gnomes and Halflings, began as laboratory experiments of flesh sewn together in mishappen shapes to serve as lab assistants and test subjects. Dwarves are the only ones who really suffer this name though as their appearance is by the far most unsettling).
-Dock Golems (termed for again, their unsavory origins, and the fact that many Dwarves find a living working as Dock Personnel for space stations).
-Grunts (this title comes from the fact that Dwarves who do not find work as Dock Workers typically end up as Sellswords).

Gnomes:

-Quill Imps (called this due to the fact that Gnomes can frequently be found writing down their various thoughts which are typically rather hard to follow).
-Crazies (because talking to a Gnome is like having a discussion with a schizophrenic due to how many trains of thought they have going at once).
-Warplings (given this affectionate term because they are said to be going from one brilliant idea to the next at warp speed).

Halflings:

-Dippers (given this slur because people believe (often wrongly) that they tend to dip into other people's pockets).
-Spotters (called this, because lying to a Halfling is a good way to get caught. Only because they're notorious for lying themselves and thus can tell when others do it).
-Gambits (because they're known to be risk takers).

Orcs:

-Forge Dogs (dubbed this due to the fact that they're typically working as Armorers or Shipyard Laborers).
-Guzzler (called guzzlers because out-drinking an Orc is considered to be a truly impressive feat).
-Beastie (due to their rather intimidating appearance).

Kobolds:

-Mine Rat (because Kobolds are frequently sent as expendable miners by powerful merchant lords).

More to be added.

Tiktik Ironclaw
2015-05-21, 07:28 PM
The following is my head-canon in any fantasy-related thing I do where they can apply:
•Hobgoblins are often called "orangeskins", usually resulting in the hobgoblin standing over a butchered corpse. Goblins are likewise called "greenskins".
•Kobolds are called "lizard-rats" on account of their tails and scavenging ways. They, in turn, refer to humanlike creatures as apes, and gnomes specifically as filth and vermin.
•Elves are called "tree****ers" and "pricks" (the term was specifically created for them) depending on whether they're Good or Evil, and drow call them "white-worms" (yay, Drowtales!) and "surface scum".
•Dwarves are called "dorfs", naturally, and some see them as inebriated lunatics that spend every waking moment working, especially when they do go insane and come back with a legendary artifact.
•Hobbits have a reputation for generating a great deal of Belkars, and for secretly being a race of closet nymphos/satyrs.
•Succubi have been deemed "fiend skanks" by the general populace.
•Half-orcs sometimes suffer the name "half-wits".

Oddman80
2015-05-22, 12:52 AM
I had a very rude character this last go round... This was the list I assembled... I apologize in advance for the language...

~~~Elves~~~
Tree F#€%er
Pointy
Dandelion Eater
Keeb
Fairy
Squeekies
Tree Hugger
Fey-boy
Slant Ears

~~~Half-Elves~~~
Mongrel