PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Beguiler

Gambitspades
2015-05-06, 06:33 AM
So i'm playing a lvl 4 Beguiler atm in a pirate campaign. Magic items are rare and therefore harder to get. My specialty is High DC on spells and want to advance on that.
The standart books we are using are:
PH1
PH2
Stormwrack
Other books are discussable with DM.
I'm already vouching to become Changeling Race through expensive potion.
But i want advice or help in how to choose feats or other tips.

Allianis
2015-05-06, 07:34 AM
So i'm playing a lvl 4 Beguiler atm in a pirate campaign. Magic items are rare and therefore harder to get. My specialty is High DC on spells and want to advance on that.
The standart books we are using are:
PH1
PH2
Stormwrack
Other books are discussable with DM.
I'm already vouching to become Changeling Race through expensive potion.
But i want advice or help in how to choose feats or other tips.

This question is a little open-ended, but I'll try to help you out. First, you say that you're going to "become" Changeling Race. Does that mean you're starting as a human? If so, now you're working with three feats instead of two, so you can see why that matters. Additionally, are you allowed to take on flaws? A couple extra feats that way might be really beneficial to you.

The next issue is what role do you want your beguiler to take on? You say high-DC spells, so I'm going to assume you mean as a pure enchanter, so no prestige classing.

First off, Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus are better than they first appear. It's only an extra +1 to the DC each, but statistically it helps.

Second, if you can manage to be the good-aligned pirate, look into vow of non-violence. The stipulations are you have to take Sacred Vow as a prereq, and you can't cause lethal damage to humanoids or monstrous humanoids. Your DM may also mandate that you can't willfully allow your teammates to murder people either, but that's between you and your DM. However, for all of that you get an extra +4 to your DC. This will only apply if you can convince your DM to allow Book of Exalted Feats, but it's too good to not at least try. Actually, the ability boost from Vow of Poverty wouldn't be a bad idea either, seeing as magic items are rare in your campaign. A little nudge in the INT can make a big difference in terms of upping that save DC.

If you can get Complete Mage approved, think about Unsettling Enchantment. Basically, you can debuff your opponent even if they manage to pass your save.

Beyond that, versatile spellcaster is really good once you get higher levels, and rapid metagic is great as quickly as possible. As you're going to get still and silent spell, the rapid metamagic will let you cast spells this way without taking a full-round action. I can't remember what books these are in.

Also, unless you intend to build your character to survive melee, just foreget about surprise casting. Really, just don't. You can invoke cloaked casting by hiding, so there's no need to try feinting.

As one final note, put some thought into how you intend to deal with mindless enemies. I'm playing a beguiler right now, and these can really be the bane of your existence. Have a plan before they come up, because they WILL come up.

nedz
2015-05-06, 07:37 AM
Handbook here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2322)

MrSinister
2015-05-06, 07:41 AM
I played a Beguiler in my last campaign, and the FIRST FIGHT was against assassin vines and zombies. You definitely need something to do in combat when fighting mindless stuff. I would suggest in investing in alchemical items to throw around until Haste and Slow become options for you to cast. Just don't use fire on the deck of your ship.

Also, of course you want to take one level of Mindbender as soon as possible to get telepathy and to delay that advanced learning spell Beguilers get by one level. So, ask for that if you are feeling bold.