PDA

View Full Version : Alternate "Trapfinding" class feature

Segev
2015-05-06, 08:46 AM
From a thread in the general RP section, I had this notion, and wanted to run it past people. What if, instead of Trapfinding being a class feature that arbitrarily requires a restriction on everybody else's Search skill (i.e. "you can't find traps hidden with DC greater than 20"), it instead actually gave a NEW ability? So, for this rules change, ANYBODY may find a trap if they can meet its relevant DC on their Search check, and...

Trapfinding
You have a finely-honed understanding of the strategy and science of trap placement. Whenever anybody of whom you are aware is about to trigger a trap, you may make an immediate Search check, with distance penalties as if you were making a Spot check. If your Search check exceeds the DC with which the trap is hidden, you become aware of it with enough time to call out a warning so that the character about to trigger it can abort the triggering action.

(Un)Inspired
2015-05-06, 01:16 PM
I like it. Anything that gives bonuses instead of arbitrary restrictions seems like its sir that least taking a look at.

I feel like I would enjoy getting to use your new version of trap finding if I played a rogue.

Segev
2015-05-06, 01:19 PM
The two biggest benefites, in gameplay terms, that I see coming from it are: 1) It cuts significantly back on the need to spend inordinate time declaring a search on every item, object, portal, and square; and 2) it allows the party to stay together more easily, cutting back on the rogues' dilemma, because they don't need the rogue out in front screening for traps.

Troacctid
2015-05-06, 01:33 PM
The two biggest benefites, in gameplay terms, that I see coming from it are: 1) It cuts significantly back on the need to spend inordinate time declaring a search on every item, object, portal, and square; and 2) it allows the party to stay together more easily, cutting back on the rogues' dilemma, because they don't need the rogue out in front screening for traps.

Agreed. Those are definitely improvements.

With this change, though, it no longer makes sense to use Search. It should be Spot.

Segev
2015-05-06, 01:43 PM
Agreed. Those are definitely improvements.

With this change, though, it no longer makes sense to use Search. It should be Spot.

I am hesitant to overload Spot further than it already is. The notional justification is something along the lines of the rogue constantly keeping an eye out, with a particular bit of attention spared for his (and his companions') immediate potential danger.

The mechanical reason is that Search needs to remain its own viable skill. Having the party trapfinder being worse at Searching than a particularly greedy wizard who likes finding all the hidden loot and secret doors is just not a desired outcome of this mechanic.

Troacctid
2015-05-06, 01:54 PM
Keeping an eye out is Spot, not Search. Search is deliberate and meticulous and takes a full-round action for each 5-foot square. Why should the Rogue be able to use Search to notice mechanical traps, but not an ambush by bandits, for example?

You can't worry too much about Search being useless. There are plenty of useless skills. Nobody seems to care about keeping Decipher Script viable. :smalltongue:

Segev
2015-05-06, 01:57 PM
As a counter-point, the elven racial aiblity with secret doors also uses a "reflexive search."

The other way to argue it would be to say that the class feature is "really" allowing them to take the full-round action as a free action every round. It's a class feature that's altering how they are able to use a skill for a particular purpose.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-06, 03:40 PM
I like it. Anything that gives bonuses instead of arbitrary restrictions seems like its sir that least taking a look at.

I feel like I would enjoy getting to use your new version of trap finding if I played a rogue.

Definitely in agreement with you. Instead of poring over every individual stone tile, the party can just travel at a normal pace, and if someone is about to set off a trap, the rogue will shout "look out!" and everything will just move faster and feel more like how fantasy dungeons usually are in books, television, and film.

Also, on this being Search-based: I think it should stay that way. The Rogue is taking what they learned from all their searching (e.g. the visual difference between a pressure plate and a normal floor tile) and applying it to a faster-paced environment. Someone with good eyes but no experience with searching for traps wouldn't be able to do the same.

Flickerdart
2015-05-06, 04:56 PM
You'll need to come up for equivalent houserules for all the Trapfinding-like abilities out there. How will you adjudicate Trapkiller, for instance?