PDA

View Full Version : Numbered list of awesome numbered lists?

Chimera245
2015-05-06, 11:56 AM
I'm trying to think of lists of things for each number from one to 12.
I'm not explaining it very well, so here are some examples.

Four elements, (with an extra fifth, Void)
Twelve zodiac signs, (with an extra thirteenth, Ophiuchus)

And so on. But I'm having trouble coming up with the actual lists of stuff for every number. Especially since I want to have an "extra" entry for each list...

Anyone know of good lists of cool sounding stuff that all starts with different numbers?

0. (foreign-ness...yeah)
1. Om (+Silence)
2. Yin & Yang (+Wuji/Infinity)
4. Classical Elements (+Void)
6. Cardinal Directions (+Center)
7. Cardinal Vices (+Vainglory)
9. alignments? (extra?)
12. Zodiac signs (+Ophiuchus)

Kairos
2015-05-06, 12:33 PM
I registered to the forum just to tell that, yes, there is an 8th capital vice.
Quoting Wikipedia:
Vainglory (Latin, vanagloria) is unjustified boasting. Pope Gregory[citation needed] viewed it as a form of pride, so he folded vainglory into pride for his listing of sins.
So it's not much 7 + 1 extra vice, as 8 - 1 vice.
Also they're better called capital vices, the deadly sins are other things.

Demidos
2015-05-06, 12:55 PM
In no particular order or theme or much logic, tbh....

Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Suits in a Deck
Colors in the Rainbow
Tasks of Hercules (thats 13 though)
Gods of Olympus
Aspects of Hekate
Reaccions in the production of energy (Glycolysis)
Alignments

JAL_1138
2015-05-06, 12:59 PM
Planes in the Great Wheel.

erikun
2015-05-06, 01:09 PM
There are five Chinese classical elements. (fire, water, earth, wood, metal)

There are seven chakras in Buddism.

There are twelve animals in the Chinese zodiac as well.

There are six "cardinal directions" with relation to the human body - forward, backward, left, right, up, down - with the "center" or "self" being a seventh.

Wisdom, Power, Courage :smallamused:

Chimera245
2015-05-06, 01:15 PM
I don't know why I didn't think of colors in a rainbow.... what with all the Prismatic spells...

but now that I know there's an 8th cardinal vice, i think i'll go with that.

I don't really want specific people or places, or anything that's campaign specific. Mainly forces of nature, building blocks of the universe, omnipresent concepts, etc. Stuff I can use to inspire the gods and planes and such, rather than vice versa.

Also, editing first post to update the list.

Chimera245
2015-05-06, 01:20 PM
Why are there so many good "seven" lists?!

But keep them coming!

I haven't played much Zelda, but is "Wisdom, Power, Courage" a reference to the Triforce?

erikun
2015-05-06, 01:21 PM
The Ultima computer game series has eight virtues (http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/Eight_Virtues). (and three principles)

And just because something comes from a particular source doesn't mean it can't be stolen and used by another culture. There isn't anything Buddist-specific about the seven chakras, for example.

JAL_1138
2015-05-06, 01:25 PM
There are six "cardinal directions" with relation to the human body - forward, backward, left, right, up, down - with the "center" or "self" being a seventh.

You forgot "turnwise" and "widdershins." :smallamused:

Cicciograna
2015-05-06, 01:26 PM
Nine alignments.

Chimera245
2015-05-06, 01:28 PM
I like the "three principles into eight virtues" thing, but if I were to use that, i'd want to connect everything ELSE together the same way, and that would be exponentially more difficult than just finding "one extra" for everything...

And I know finding an entry for "One" is gonna be difficult... because what makes a "list" of one entry? Especially one with an "extra"?

And I'm not sure about alignments, since they're really just combinations of four alignment components: Good, Evil, Law, and Chaos.

erikun
2015-05-06, 01:30 PM
2. Yin & Yang (not really room for an extra, though)
If you are looking for a third term, the one you want is Wuji (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuji_(philosophy)), for "emptiness/nothingness" or an absense of anything. It is consider the original, null state that Yin-Yang arises from, and that once Yin and Yang have neutralized each other, shall be returned to Wuji.

erikun
2015-05-06, 01:32 PM
And I know finding an entry for "One" is gonna be difficult... because what makes a "list" of one entry? Especially one with an "extra"?
One individual's soul, with the extra being the perception of things other than oneself.

[Edit]
There is also Om (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om) for something intended to be all-encompassing, with the silence at the end as the "extra".

Chimera245
2015-05-06, 01:38 PM
One individual's soul, with the extra being the perception of things other than oneself.

Maybe, that sounds kinda cool, but i don't know if it's got the cut-and-dried familiar feel of some of the others... Like something you could easily recognize a symbol for...but it's definitely got that "building block of the universe" feel....

Chimera245
2015-05-06, 01:40 PM
Is there anything out there with a "rock-paper-scissors" relationship, that's more cool and ancient sounding than actual rocks paper and scissors?

erikun
2015-05-06, 01:44 PM
Is there anything out there with a "rock-paper-scissors" relationship, that's more cool and ancient sounding than actual rocks paper and scissors?
Land, sea, and sky. Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades. etc.

(also, I edited my post above to include Om as a potential for the 1 slot, in case you missed it.)

Chimera245
2015-05-06, 01:51 PM
Land, Sea, and Sky sound cool, but i'm not seeing the RPS relationship...

Also, I'm beginning to see some overlap in some places, especially in the extras...

like land, sea, and sky are really close to being earth water and air... and 5th element Void, third "Yin/yang" Wuji, and Om's silence all feel similar...

I'm trying to decide if I should avoid that, or actually run with it....

erikun
2015-05-06, 01:58 PM
Also, I'm beginning to see some overlap in some places, especially in the extras...

like land, sea, and sky are really close to being earth water and air... and 5th element Void, third "Yin/yang" Wuji, and Om's silence all feel similar...

I'm trying to decide if I should avoid that, or actually run with it....
You are asking for sets of things with are generally all-encompassing (light/dark, solid/liquid/gas, and so on) and then asking for the "extra" thing to go along with that. Generally, your extra is going to end up as "nothing" or "that which is between" as the set has already intended to cover everything.

Chimera245
2015-05-06, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I probably should have realized that sooner... But I can probably make all the Extras run together if they have a theme like that, so it's probably a good thing... but some of them are "extras" because they didn't make the cut or got added later, such as Ophiuchus on the Zodiac.

Although I suppose I could attach a nothingness/in-between vibe to it just in my campaign setting.....

Chimera245
2015-05-06, 02:07 PM
Actually, the more I think about it, the more i like that idea. Then I can have a Zero entry in the list. A list that exists solely with an extra. The idea of "extra/nothing/between/foreign" itself... Is there a more "formal" concept for this?

Demidos
2015-05-10, 12:14 PM
Your nothing alignment would be ''mindless''

Maglubiyet
2015-05-10, 08:20 PM
Two: sexes, male and female
Three: three dimensions, Euler angles, roll pitch and yaw
Five: lobes in the lungs (3 in right, 2 in left), fingers, toes
Eight: planets, notes in an octave
Ten: fingers, toes
Eleven: uh...players on an American football team? (and soccer too maybe?), number that Spinal Tap's amplifiers go to

Cealocanth
2015-05-10, 08:38 PM
Seven Seas
Seven Continents
Two - Sun and Moon
Seven Dwarves
Three Blind Mice
Three Pigs
Three Bears
Nine Lives for Cats
Ten Commandments
Nine D&D Hells
Seven D&D Heavens

Lord Raziere
2015-05-10, 08:42 PM
"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."

Thrudd
2015-06-20, 03:27 PM
Small point: chakras have nothing to do with Buddhism. It Is a yoga/tantra concept. That's all I have to say about that (Forest Gump).

Three: heaven, earth, and man

Six perfections
Six healing breaths/sounds

Seven planets of ancient astrology
Seven stars of the dipper/plough

Eight trigrams/energies of the yi jing: heaven, earth, water, fire, lake, wind, thunder, mountain

Or eightfold path

Or eight extraordinary/magic/special vessels of Chinese medicine/acupuncture

Nine layers of hell in the divine comedy

Twelve meridians/organs of Chinese medicine

Grooke
2015-06-20, 07:12 PM
There are four fundamental forces in physics: Strong, Weak, Electro-magnetic, and Gravity. Given the RP context, magic could be a decent extra.