PDA

View Full Version : [Prestige Class] Stalker

Durithill the B
2007-04-18, 08:59 PM
Alright, this is my first time creating a class and I'm still relativly new to D&D, so bear with me if I completly mess this up.

Anyways, this is sort of a cross between an assassin and a ranger I'm trying to get my DM to approve since he won't let me be evil... Thoughts and suggestions please.

Stalker

The love of pursuit and the thrill of the chase are personified in the elusive Stalker. Those targeted by a Stalker had best give up all hope of escape. Those that wish to capture a Stalker should simply accept defeat. Undetectable and uncapturable, Stalkers specialize in spying, harassing, chasing and shaking off enemies.

Requirements
Alignment: Any chaotic.
Skills: Move Silently 8 ranks, Hide 8 ranks, Survival 8 ranks
Special: The character must follow a person for an entire day without being detected.

Class Skills
The stalker’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Dex), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) (Int), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex). See Chapter 4 of the Player’s Handbook for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier

Class Features
All the following are features of the stalker prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A stalker’s weapon training focuses on weapons suitable for stealth and sneak attacks. Stalkers are proficient with the crossbow (hand or light), dagger (any type), dart, rapier, sap, shortbow (normal and composite), and short sword. Stalkers are proficient with light armor but not shields.
Sneak Attack: This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name. The extra damage increases by +1d6 every other level (2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th). If a stalker gets a sneak attack bonus from another source (such as rogue levels), the bonuses on damage stack.
Poison Use: Stalkers are trained in the use of poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying poison to a blade.
Track: A stalker gains Track (see page 101 of the Player’s Handbook) as a bonus feat.
Spells: Beginning at 1st level, a stalker gains the ability to cast a number of arcane spells. To cast a spell, a stalker must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spell’s level, so a stalker with an Intelligence of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells. Stalker bonus spells are based on Intelligence, and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + the stalker’s Intelligence bonus (if any). When the stalker gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level (for instance, 1st-level spells for a 1st-level stalker), he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Intelligence score for that spell level. The stalker’s spell list appears below. A stalker casts spells just as a bard does.
Upon reaching 6th level, and every even-numbered level after that (8th and 10th), an stalker can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level stalker spell the stalker can cast. A stalker may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for that level.

Stalker Spells Known
{table=head]Level|Level 1 spells|Level 2 spells|Level 3 spells|Level 4 spells

1st|
2*|
-|
-|
-

2nd|
3|
-|
-|
-

3rd|
3|
2*|
-|
-

4th|
4|
3|
-|
-

5th|
4|
3|
2*|
-

6th|
4|
4|
3|
-

7th|
4|
4|
3|
2*

8th|
4|
4|
4|

9th|
4|
4|
4|

10th|
4|
4|
4|
4[/table]
*Provided the stalker has sufficient Intelligence to have a bonus spell at this level.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a stalker can avoid even magical and unsual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can only be used if the stalker is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless stalker does not gain the benefit of evasion.
If a character gains evasion from a second class (such as a rogue), the character automatically gains improved evasion (see below).
Improved Evasion (Ex): If a character gains evasion (see above) from a second class (such as a rogue), the character automatically gains improved evasion.
This ability works like evasion, except that while the rogue still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks such as a dragon's breath weapon or a fireball, henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless stalker does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a stalker gains the ability to react to danger before his sense would normally allow him to even be aware of it. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) regardless of being caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. (He still loses any Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.)
If a character gains uncanny dodge from a second class (such as a barbarian/rogue), the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below).
Swift Tracker (Ex): Beginning at 4th level, a stalker can move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal -5 penalty. He takes only a -10 penalty (instead of the normal -20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 5th level, stalker can no longer be flanked, since he can react to opponents on the opposite sides of him as easily as he can react to a single attacker. This defense denies rogues the ability to use flank attacks to sneak attack the stalker. The exception to this defense is that a rogue at least four levels higher than the stalker can flank him (and thus sneak attack him).
If a character gains uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class (such as a barbarian/rogue), the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge, and the levels from those classes stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.
Shadow Jump (Su): At 5th level, a stalker gains the ability to travel between shadowsas if by means of a dimension door spell. The limitation is that the magical transport must begin and end in an area with at least some shadow. A stalker can jump up to a total of 20 feet each day in this way; this may be a single jump of 20 feet or two jumps of 10 feet each. Every two levels higher than 3rd, the distance a stalker can jump each day doubles (40 feet at 7th, and 80 feet at 9th). This amount can be split among many jumps, but each one, no matter how small, counts as a 10-foot increment. (A 7th-level stalker who jumps 32 feet cannot jump again until the next day.)
Hide in Plain Sight: At 6th level, a stalker can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a stalker can hide himself from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind. He cannot, however, hide in his own shadow.

Stalker Spell List
Stalkers choose their spells from the following list:
1st level: disguise self, feather fall, ghost sound, jump, mimicry, obscuring mist, true strike.
2nd level: alter self, cat’s grace, darkness, fox’s cunning, invisibility, pass without trace, smoke stairs, spider climb, spike growth.
3rd level: create fetch, darkvision, deeper darkness, false life, misdirection, nondetection.
4th level: stalker’s darkness, clairaudience/clairvoyance, dimension door, freedom of movement, glibness, greater invisibility, locate creature, modify memory.

Stalker
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells Per Day

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Poison use, Track, spells|0 - - -

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Sneak attack +1d6, uncanny dodge|1 - - -

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|-|2 0 - -

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Sneak attack +2d6, swift tracker|3 1 - -

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Improved uncanny dodge, shadow jump 20 ft.|3 2 0 -

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Sneak attack +3d6, hide in plain sight|3 3 1 0

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Evasion, shadow jump 40 ft.|3 3 2 0

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+2|Sneak attack +4d6|3 3 3 1

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+3|Shadow jump 80 ft.|3 3 3 2

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+3|Sneak attack +5d6|3 3 3 3[/table]

------------------------------------------------------------------

Stalker's Darkness
Evocation (Darkness)
Level: Stalker 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Area: 30-ft.-radius spherical emanation
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

Covering your eyes and spitting a harsh whisper, you conjure a globe of absolute darkness around you. Your sight alone pierces the darkness, showing you your disoriented victims within.

You call a globe of absolute darkness into being, which only you can see through. All other creatures within or who enter the spell's area are blinded while they remain in the area. Even creatures that have darkvision cannot see through this magical obscurement, although creatures capable of seeing in magical darkness (such as devils) are not affected by it.
While you are outside the sphere, you can see nothing within, and every creature within has total concealment. Upon entering the spell's area, however, you can see as if the area were illuminated by bright light and can interact with those within as normal, even though they cannot see you.

jjpickar
2007-04-18, 09:20 PM
Well I like the concept but, there are a few things that are really too powerful. Shadow jump evasion and improved evasion are too much, I would take out the evasion stuff, it doesn't fit the fluff. Also hide in plain sight should be at a later level because it is kinda more of a high level power. But other than that I really like the class.

McDeath
2007-04-19, 06:11 AM
You could probably do this with other classes, if you were willing to go rogue/ranger/shadowdancer/bloodhound. Seems all right, but like many homebrew classes - only useful for a handful of characters. Actually, this is true of absolutely all prestige classes - by their very nature, only a few people will use an individual class.

Abjurer
2007-04-19, 02:39 PM
Guess who!

Time to criticize!
That's actually not too bad, though.

I think I'll go with it, but it needs watered down just a bit.

Just an editing problem: You forgot the "sight" in your description of hide in plain sight.
About that, though: I know you're going for a shadow-dancer hybrid, but that seems kind of buff in addition to sneak attack damage and such, and a ranger wouldn't get it until 17th level, so I'd suggest it as an 8th level or capstone ability, instead of a free one. If you'd like to convince me otherwise, please go ahead.
Also an editing problem: When you copied the info for Improved Uncanny Dodge from my PrC, you didn't change the name from mine to yours. You might want to fix that.

Another thing to note: This PrC gets shadow jump even earlier than a shadow dancer would, and that's kind of the point of a shadow dancer. I'll allow the ability, but it shouldn't be as good as a shadow dancer's, because this PrC also grants sneak attack damage and other nice abilities. Go with getting the ability at 5th level, doubling every two levels after that, and stopping at 80 ft at 9th level.

Also, I'm not quite feeling that spell list. But I'll allow it if you dock assassin's darkness, modify memory, and poison.

Actually, this is feeling rather like the PrC I made earlier, except you're sacrificing the extra cash and friends-in-high-places for shadow jump and more nondetection-oriented spells.

How's that sound? I hope I'm being more helpful than destructive.

Durithill the B
2007-04-19, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the comments, and duely noted.

To Abjurer:
Wow, I can't believed I missed that, lol. Ya, after I'd typed just about everything up I remembered "wait, his character had this ability, I'll just copy it from there!", and I remembered on some of the other abilities to change it...

As for shadow jump, the only real reason I started it at level 3 instead of level 4 like the shadow dancer was because, well, he'd be getting shadow jumps at the same levels as sneak attacks and nothing in between. I did, however, overlook level 5 and I could move it up to that.

As for Hide in Plain Sight, you want me to convince you? Let me put it this way: assassins get it at level 8. Moving it to level 8 would make me closer to an assassin.
But in all seriousness, how a 6th level ability? Though I doubt our campain's going to get that far anyway...

And for the spell list you hit the nail on the head: nondetection. Most of the spells focus on that, with the exception of a few that could help in other situations. Poison I wasn't really feeling anyway, so I'll get rid of that, but assassin's darkness and modify memory would help a great deal with becomeing the invisible being that stalks the night. For instance, imagine how much modify memory would have helped with the whole wizard ordeal. Your campain probably wouldn't be in the condition it's in, that is if you're still saying it's my fault it is. As for assassin's darkness, how about changing it instead of getting rid of it?

And technically I could still pick up some extra cash and work for people in high places, I just couldn't have to abide by the law and do it morally. I wouldn't make as much, of course, since the empire wouldn't be paying me, but mabye lords or something may have "issues" they need resolved that go beyond the law slightly... Although I'm still saying I'll try not to be evil.

Abjurer
2007-04-19, 04:03 PM
Splendid. But no, I don't want modify memory. I don't want your scapegoat to be lying to the party-- that just strings tensions tighter.

For hide in plain sight, sixth level would be fine, as long as it's not getting too nice: fourth level spells and loads of fun sneak attack damage.
I think 'tis fine, though.

Assassin's darkness: you can't use my spell, if that's what you mean.
Divine Radiance of the Law is a spell strictly for Agents of the Empire, and it's a LG spell, anyways. And you can't just change the name and call it good, either. It's pretty much just a deeper darkness spell that you can see through, right? You can replace it if you want with a spell that allows you to see through magical darkness --call it whatever you want-- and functions like a true seeing spell except that it only penetrates magical darkness, and doesn't have the other effects of a true seeing spell (seeing invisibility, discerning location of blurred creatures, etc).
Or, there's a spell in Complete Arcane called unluck, which forces the target to reroll all his rolls and take the lower one for a round/level.
Also, I'm going to add healing and restoration spells to my PrC, and heal as a class skill, if that makes it any more tempting. :smallwink:

Durithill the B
2007-04-19, 04:11 PM
No, I didn't mean using Divine Radiance of the Law. I meant basically changing it to a touch spell instead of ranged, since I'd probably use it more for not being killed than actually killing people. I mean, if I instead made a spell that let me see through magical darkness, I'd have to cast about four 3rd level spells and a 4th level one to get the same effect as an assassin's darkness, and even then it isn't the same.

And no, healing abilities to not make it more appealing.

Abjurer
2007-04-19, 04:14 PM
Does assassin's darkness only affect one target?

Durithill the B
2007-04-19, 04:22 PM
Assassin's Darkness
Evocation (Darkness)
Level: Assassin 4
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 40-ft.-radius spherical emanation
Duration: 1 minute/level (D)

Covering your eyes and spitting a harsh whisper, you conjure a globe of absolute darkness before you. As you step forward, your sight alone pierces the darkness, showing you your disoriented victims within.

You call a globe of absolute darkness into being, which only you can see through. All other creatures within or who enter the spell's area are blinded while they remain in the area. Even creatures that have darkvision cannot see through this magical obscurement, although creatures capable of seeing in magical darkness (such as devils) are not affected by it.
While you are outside the sphere, you can see nothing within, and every creature within has total concealment. Upon entering the spell's area, however, you can see as if the area were illuminated by bright light and can interact with those within as normal, even though they cannot see you.

Abjurer
2007-04-19, 05:09 PM
Okay... This is pretty much a greater invisibility spell on everything in a 40-foot radius (which is quite a decent area), that only you or someone with true seeing can see through. How to make it balanced...

Smaller would be good. Especially if you're going to use it like a squid does a squirt of ink: all you need to cover is your attacker.
Centered on yourself only would help. Or a touch spell that can be cast like darkness, so you can cast it on arrows and stick them into opponents. That could be fun. They can't get out of it unless they pull out the arrow.
But that doesn't really make it more balanced.
Shorter might be good. Like, say, one round per level.

Here's an idea: make it a mind-influencing illusion effect, that effectively blinds your opponent for that amount of time. Same effect, less mess.
Also, you could give a Will save, and spell resistance would apply.

Any thoughts?

Durithill the B
2007-04-19, 05:16 PM
Considering I'm a novice player, asking me for thoughts is kinda not a good idea...

But I say give it the range and area of effect of a deeper darkness, maybe reduce the duration, but keep the rest the same...

Abjurer
2007-04-19, 05:36 PM
Make it exactly like deeper darkness, except that you can see through it and its radius is only 20 or 30 ft. And it only lasts a round per level.

Durithill the B
2007-04-19, 05:47 PM
I suppose that works. Also, activation? Material spell components?

Abjurer
2007-04-19, 06:08 PM
Verbal and Somatic, I'd say.

Durithill the B
2007-04-19, 06:09 PM
What's Somatic?

Abjurer
2007-04-19, 06:24 PM
Moving your hands.

Durithill the B
2007-04-19, 06:29 PM
Ah... So basically:

Stalker's Darkness
Evocation (Darkness)
Level: Stalker 4
Range: Touch
Area: 30-ft.-radius spherical emanation
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

Covering your eyes and spitting a harsh whisper, you conjure a globe of absolute darkness around you. Your sight alone pierces the darkness, showing you your disoriented victims within.

Abjurer
2007-04-19, 06:33 PM
Very nice.
Methinks that'll do.

Durithill the B
2007-04-19, 06:34 PM
And now: Modify Memory. I actually wasn't thinking of using people at scapegoats... Really I was thinking of using it as a last ditch effort to make people forget about me...

Abjurer
2007-04-19, 06:40 PM
If they're from the empire, they pay you money because you're such a good person, and if they forgot about you then they'd stop giving you handouts, and if they're not a good guy, you kill them. Problem solved.

Durithill the B
2007-04-19, 06:43 PM
I meant people I'm not targeting that figure out and try to kill me.

Abjurer
2007-04-19, 06:50 PM
That figure out what?

Durithill the B
2007-04-19, 06:52 PM
That figure out I'm on a mission or something. If people try to stop me, it's going to make my job a lot harder.

Edit: And killing people isn't good, right? So if somehow I fail to get away from them, I modify memory to get them off my fail instead of slitting their throat.

Abjurer
2007-04-19, 07:03 PM
Killing isn't good, but neither is scrambling peoples' minds.
It's like dropping an atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and saying it's good because it prevents the deaths caused by a full-scale invasion.
But fine, lemme look at it. Post the specifics.

Durithill the B
2007-04-19, 07:22 PM
Modify Memory
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Casting Time: 1 round; see text
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You reach into the subject's mind and modify as many as 5 minutes of its memories in one of the following way.

Eliminate all memory of an event the subject actually experienced. This spell cannot negate charm, geas/quest, suggestion, or similar spells.
Allow the subject to recall with perfect clarity an event it actually experienced. For instance, it could recall every word from a 5-minute conversation or every detail from a passage in a book.
Change the details of an event the subject actually experienced.
Implant a memory of an event the subject never experienced.

Casting the spell takes 1 round. If the subject fails to save, you proceed with the spell by spending as much as 5 minutes (a period of time equal to the amount of memory time you want to modify) visualizing the memory you wish to modify in the subject. If your concentration is disturbed before the visualization is complete, or if the subject is ever beyond the spell's range during the time, the spell is lost.
A modified memory does not necessarily affect the subject's actions, particularly if it contradicts the creature's natural inclinations. An illogical modified memory, such as the subject recalling how much it enjoyed drinking posion, is dismissed by the creature as a bad dream or a memory muddied by too much wine. More useful applications of modify memory include implanting memories of friendly encounters with you (inclining the subject to act favorably toward you), changing the details of orders given to the subject by a superior, or causing the subject to forget that it ever saw you or your party. The DM reserves the right to decide whether a modified memory is too nonsensical to significantly affect the subject.

Abjurer
2007-04-19, 07:33 PM
Okay, that's cool.
Might be nice for other reasons, too.

Durithill the B
2007-04-19, 07:34 PM
So it's good then?

Abjurer
2007-04-19, 08:33 PM
I believe so.
I'll look through it again, maybe next week.

I'm booked over the weekend, though.
Oh, by the way, I'll miss 7th tomorrow.
I'm ducking out early to head to Pennsy.
You can start the project w/o me, if you want.
But I know you won't. :smalltongue:

Durithill the B
2007-04-19, 08:36 PM
I also can't. You have all the files.

But I told you you'd think it was O.K. once you looked it over.

Abjurer
2007-04-22, 02:37 PM
Write up the new spell underneath the spell list, so it's with the rest of the entry.

Durithill the B
2007-04-22, 06:17 PM
Good idea. Alright, put it in there.