PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Lets Make Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money in Pathfinder.

anoblewolf
2015-05-06, 11:20 PM
Thank you in advance for your help.

I would like to take the premise of Fallout New Vegas DLC Dead Money and make it into a campaign.

The players will all awaken with a pain in there necks, upon investigated the pain the player will find that they have been marked each with the same symbol and to find that they are in a large open circular area about 120' across, there in a circular reflecting pool in the center of the area the perimeter of the area is line will benches and there are four exits north, east, south, and west. The place seems to have been a town gathering play long ago.

There is a fog throughout the area making is very hard to see more the 60' in any direction. This does not seem to be a natural fog, it makes it slightly hard to breath causing a slight burning of the throat if breath in too deeply.

The southern exit is blocked by a gate as well as the gate to the north. When the players approach the southern gate the symbol on their necks begin to burn, even if only one of them approaches alone all the players symbols will burn. If the players approach the north gate they will find that the gate is magically seal more powerful than any of the magic users in the group have ever imagined.

To the east and west appear to be the business districts of the town with small shops and inns. Beyond the business district there appears to be the commoners residential area.

When the players approach the reflection pool in the center of this area the image of an old man in robes appears. From this looks the players can tell that this is no ordinary old man but a powerful wizard. The wizard informs the players that this was once a very rich an powerful city, that many people would travel from far and wide just to visit. He will inform them that this is no ordinary fog, that it is a miasma that over took the town killing the residents on the day the was to be coronation day for the cities new king. He will also inform them of the vast riches that await inside the palace that they may share if they cooperate with him and fallow his every order.
He will also inform them that was he who had had them brought here and that they are not the first group that he has brought here. He will go on to inform them that if that try to leave those marks on their neck will explode, and if they were to get the idea of killing the rest of the group and try to make off with the treasure that their symbol will explode, informing them that all their marks a linked.

This is what I have so far.

I am looking for some interesting ways to make the quests work in a d&d pathfinder setting.

Thank you again for all your time and help.

SwordChucks
2015-05-08, 07:07 PM
If you're trying to copy the DLC as closely as possible you would still need some sort of location specific currency (like the sierra madre chips) and some sort of magical dispensers (like the vending machines). I suppose the ghostmen could be humans with fast healing and maybe displacement to represent the odd way they move. I know I missed a few shots because of that. I don't know what could represent the speakers and radios that can set off the collars. Maybe music boxes with, an at the time, popular lullaby. The holograms could be obvious illusions with the ability to attack. To beat them you would have to find the magic gem powering them.

I'd start the players with low to no equipment and you might want to include hunger/thirst rules to represent hardcore mode. Even at low level though casters will be more useful so you may want to compensate for this somehow. Also a holorifle-style crossbow would be a neat addition.

If someone wanted to make the characters from the DLC I would say:

Dog/God is a barbarian orc with split personalities and the mutant template

Christine is a rogue or ninja with claustrophobia and alexia (a PC being mute might be too difficult to deal with)

Dean is a (necropolitan?) bard/alchemist that can make cocktails and bombs

The Courier is undefined so whatever you want goes here

I hope some more people post here because I wanted some ideas for a campaign like this myself :smallbiggrin:

Magatsu Izanagi
2015-05-08, 09:59 PM
Dead Money in PF would be a rogue's paradise. Traps everywhere, and someone's gotta look for them and disable them.

As far as equipment goes, the cosmic knife and cosmic knife spear would be relatively straightforward, but I wonder what the stats would be for the bear trap fist.

Also, as far as the NPCs go, I'd think that as far as Dog/God is concerned, the half-ogre (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/adamant-entertainment/half-ogre) or jotunfolk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/storm-bunny-studios/joetunfolk) (to pull two things from the SRD) would be closer analogues to the Super Mutant than the regular orc. I'd also think that Christine would be something more combat-oriented than a rogue or ninja (ranger?). Unless there's something in the Pathfinder SRD that I missed, Dean Domino would need stuff ported in from 3.X to properly emulate him. What class would Elijah be, anyway?

anoblewolf
2015-05-08, 10:48 PM
If you're trying to copy the DLC as closely as possible you would still need some sort of location specific currency (like the sierra madre chips) and some sort of magical dispensers (like the vending machines). I suppose the ghostmen could be humans with fast healing and maybe displacement to represent the odd way they move. I know I missed a few shots because of that. I don't know what could represent the speakers and radios that can set off the collars. Maybe music boxes with, an at the time, popular lullaby. The holograms could be obvious illusions with the ability to attack. To beat them you would have to find the magic gem powering them.

I'd start the players with low to no equipment and you might want to include hunger/thirst rules to represent hardcore mode. Even at low level though casters will be more useful so you may want to compensate for this somehow. Also a holorifle-style crossbow would be a neat addition.

If someone wanted to make the characters from the DLC I would say:

Dog/God is a barbarian orc with split personalities and the mutant template

Christine is a rogue or ninja with claustrophobia and alexia (a PC being mute might be too difficult to deal with)

Dean is a (necropolitan?) bard/alchemist that can make cocktails and bombs

The Courier is undefined so whatever you want goes here

I hope some more people post here because I wanted some ideas for a campaign like this myself :smallbiggrin:

Thank you SwordChucks,

I am liking what I am hearing here.

I was thinking that the currency could be a type of mundane metal or stone with a magical symbol of unknown type stamped or engraved into them. The symbol would have the effect to activate the magical dispensers.

For the ghostmen I was thinking something along the line of undead.

Alchemical Zombie (CR +1)

This zombie has been created through alchemical processes rather than necromantic magic.

Positive energy has less effect on an alchemical zombie, giving it channel resistance +2. Its alchemically treated flesh is also more resistant to damage, granting it an additional +2 bonus to its natural Armor Class above that which it gains based on its size.

The displacement effect is a great idea and could be attributed to the miasma. The miasma will also be what turned them when they died and what has kept their bodies from decaying.

The radios and speakers could be items such as crystals with Ventriloquism spell and permanency. Do to the negative energy of the miasma the spell has been corrupted.

I like the idea for the holograms. I was originally thinking of a light construct.

I was planning to have this be a starting campaign so all the characters will be starting out with there starting low level gear.

Hardcore mode is a great idea and I think there are rules in the core rule book that can cover that.

As for Dog/God, Christine, and Dean those are great ideas.

As for Christine's tie to Elijah, she could be so kind of enforcer for Elijah's magical order that is in charge of hunting down the rogue wizards of the order.

As for Dean, he would be a bard that was in the service of the royal court as well as the secret lover of the new queen.

As for the holorifle I am not sure on how to do that one.

As for Sinclair, he could be something like King Midas. He will not have been of royal blood but with enough money he became king. This could also be a connection to Dean, having them known each other from before Sinclair became wealthy and the king.

Thank you for your help thus far.

anoblewolf
2015-05-08, 10:54 PM
Dead Money in PF would be a rogue's paradise. Traps everywhere, and someone's gotta look for them and disable them.

As far as equipment goes, the cosmic knife and cosmic knife spear would be relatively straightforward, but I wonder what the stats would be for the bear trap fist.

Also, as far as the NPCs go, I'd think that as far as Dog/God is concerned, the half-ogre (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/adamant-entertainment/half-ogre) or jotunfolk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/storm-bunny-studios/joetunfolk) (to pull two things from the SRD) would be closer analogues to the Super Mutant than the regular orc. I'd also think that Christine would be something more combat-oriented than a rogue or ninja (ranger?). Unless there's something in the Pathfinder SRD that I missed, Dean Domino would need stuff ported in from 3.X to properly emulate him. What class would Elijah be, anyway?

Thank you Magatsu Izanagi,

Elijah would be from an magical order (Brotherhood of Steel) something along the lines of a wizard/alchemist.

Christine would be from the same order but an enforcer that in charge of keeping the wizards in line and dealing with the ones that go rogue.

Thank you for your help thus far.

anoblewolf
2015-05-09, 11:10 PM
I have had an idea about Christine's ability to delay the effects of the speakers and radios.

Since Christine is an enforcer, meaning that she tracks down rogue wizards from the order, she has been given an Antimagic Field. to help her in her task. Do to the ancient origin of the spell the effect will only delay the interaction between the symbols on the player necks and the corrupted spells of the crystals.

School abjuration; Level cleric 8, sorcerer/wizard 6

Casting Time 1 standard action

Components V, S, M/DF (pinch of powdered iron or iron filings)

Range 10 ft.

Area 10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on you

Duration 10 min./level (D)

Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance see text

An invisible barrier surrounds you and moves with you. The space within this barrier is impervious to most magical effects, including spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. Likewise, it prevents the functioning of any magic items or spells within its confines.

An antimagic field suppresses any spell or magical effect used within, brought into, or cast into the area, but does not dispel it. Time spent within an antimagic field counts against the suppressed spell's duration.

Summoned creatures of any type wink out if they enter an antimagic field. They reappear in the same spot once the field goes away. Time spent winked out counts normally against the duration of the conjuration that is maintaining the creature. If you cast antimagic field in an area occupied by a summoned creature that has spell resistance, you must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against the creature's spell resistance to make it wink out. (The effects of instantaneous conjurations are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result.)

A normal creature can enter the area, as can normal missiles. Furthermore, while a magic sword does not function magically within the area, it is still a sword (and a masterwork sword at that). The spell has no effect on golems and other constructs that are imbued with magic during their creation process and are thereafter self-supporting (unless they have been summoned, in which case they are treated like any other summoned creatures). Elementals, undead, and outsiders are likewise unaffected unless summoned. These creatures' spell-like or supernatural abilities may be temporarily nullified by the field. Dispel magic does not remove the field.

Two or more antimagic fields sharing any of the same space have no effect on each other. Certain spells, such as wall of force, prismatic sphere, and prismatic wall, remain unaffected by antimagic field. Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this.

Should a creature be larger than the area enclosed by the barrier, any part of it that lies outside the barrier is unaffected by the field.