PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next First post: Plague cleric homebrew thoughts?

tectonix26
2015-05-07, 03:12 AM
Hey guys, apologies in advance for any mistakes I make in this post (being my first time posting on this site).

I've quite recently began playing D&D with a couple friends, enough however that I know a little bit of what I'm talking about. I guess its just beginners excitement but I cant help but try and bend the rules to create more unique characters, anyway I was wondering how you guys would make a "Plague priest"

Main points about this guy is essentially he is a dragonborn acolyte (Of green ancestry) worshiping one of the many gods in D&D focusing on plague. His belief is that sicknesses and diseases are gifts from his god and he intends to distribute these gifts to anyone he can. The plague priest himself is a tall, gaunt dragonman, his scales a sickly green and rotting away even before they fall from his hide, he is covered in boils, infected gashes, weeping wounds and any other feature your imagination can conjure that screams "Ugly, diseased dragon guy". He himself has contracted nearly every illness, disease and plague known to the realm; only his unholy resilience from these diseases granted by his deity keeps his body from simply rotting away and succumbing.

In the crunch, my best idea has been a dragonborn war cleric, where I trade the cleric cantrips for poison spray and acid splash and give him the spell "ray of sickness" A drawback to this allowance being that on any spell he can learn, the damage may only be poison or acid (either DM or player decides which). The unholy resilience as mentioned earlier is reflected in a focus on constitution and a high armor rating. As for weapons, I intend to arm him with a battleaxe (Essentially a large, dirty scythe that also serves as his holy symbol). I'm torn between the background of acolyte and hermit, as the former suggests he is part of a cult, whereas the later would state he was exiled for his extreme fanaticism. The hermit class also gives the priest a proficiency at herbalism, giving me the idea of arming him with vials of natural poisons/ diseased samples which he may use as a thrown weapon on top of his spells.

A few other random ideas I have tossed about is some sort of poison aura, as the rotting censers he has draped over his rusty mail and the poisoned incense burners he hangs from his body pollute the air around him with an unnatural foulness. Perhaps some sort of health niche, where he loses health faster as his body falls apart but also regenerates as wounds congeal swell as fast as he decomposes. Another being the use of the spell "thaumaturgy" to have the cry of a raven be heard all around him before more creatures fall before him.

I guess the point of this post is asking both your opinions on the structure provided and to offer how you would homebrew a character hell bent on spreading diseases and plagues through the realms, any answers will be appreciated.

Thanks.

MrStabby
2015-05-07, 11:12 AM
Well there are two possible questions.

Are you looking to make a character under the core rules or are you looking to homebrew a new class to fit the description.

If you want to use the existing rules then this forum may be better: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?63-D-amp-D-5e-Nexthttp://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?63-D-amp-D-5e-Next

For what its worth I would probably look at using the Death domain cleric in the DMG.

On the other hand if you are wanting a new rules set for a domain of plague... then you are in the right place. Let us know and I am sure suggestions will quickly sprout up like boils.

tectonix26
2015-05-08, 03:28 AM
Yes I'm intending to create what is domain of plague, should have specified.

Steampunkette
2015-05-08, 09:07 AM
Well. I suggest creating some new spells, first off.

Specifically a series of "Pseudo Disease" spells. Each one adding complications to the target and a small amount of Damage Over Time. A d4 or d6 per round at low end, higher amounts of dice at higher end, that's pretty standard.

And then combine Concentration with Multi-Concentration and No Concentration requirements. So that the different spells can be cast in certain combinations that reduce enemy options, deal damage each round, and are ended with individual saving throws. Most of which should be Con based but it might be nice to have a few will save style "I've infected you with Hypochondria!"

Then create some class features that 'spread' these diseases a bit. Maybe have the Channel Divinity spread the diseases on the current target to nearby targets with half duration. They should definitely gain disease immunity. Though you could fluff it a bit with the Book of Vile Darkness style "I have all these diseases but they don't affect me so I can be a carrier!" type thing.

Just some thoughts!

meltodowno
2015-05-08, 09:32 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't reinvent the wheel with domain spells, just reflavor existing spells with poison damage.

Take for example your plague aura idea. Take the spirit guardian spell, reflavor the descriptor and change the damage type.

As far as abilities, steampunkette is spot on with the poison immunity. As far as other capabilities go - I would say been able to channel divinity into a plague strike, adding a disease onto an attack for example.

tectonix26
2015-05-09, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I like the idea of creating and adapting some spells, I'm liking the idea of a more fluffy reason for the "immune to disease/carrier" aspect and a sickness style of damage. I'm considering doing something like taking some already existing spells but changing the damage stats, for example: take the spell poison spray, leave it as is except change where it says "The creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 1d12 poison damage." to "Target takes 1D4 sickness damage and applies 1 level of exhaustion, every turn after a taret is affected by this spell it must take a constitution save against your spell save DC with a -3 modifier, if the target fails add another point at the end of it's turn, if the target succeeds the effect is removed but the stacked levels of exhaustion stay. (if hit with two spells that inflict exhaustion, they can all apply exhaustion separately but a single constitution save removes them all simultaneously.)" This can be the character's main source of damage, stacking up exhaustion while tanking hits. What are your thoughts on this concept?

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-09, 01:13 AM
The -3 is probably way too strong, since that's effectively raising your DC by +3.

I also think that the exhaustion thing needs some tweaking to really work. "Poisoned" covers the first two conditions of exhaustion fairly well I believe, and is a bit simpler and already exists within the rules. So an ability to add the "poisoned" status when you deal poison damage could be interesting. EDIT Poisoned is disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks, whereas exhaustion 1 is just ability checks, followed by halved speed, followed by disadvantage on attack rolls and saving throws. (Just for reference)

On that note, there should probably be something along the lines the death domain's Inescapable Destruction for poison (since it's an incredibly common resistance/immunity).

tectonix26
2015-05-09, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I agree with the -3 modifier, but the idea behind directly using exhaustion in example is for attrition style combat, I mentioned considering some sort of penalty and buff gimmick along with a naturally high constitution to tank attacks as the opponents around the cleric slowly get weaker and weaker, essentially the longer you take to attack a plague priest the worse your condition gets until after a maximum of 6 turn you succumb.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-09, 02:21 AM
Yeah, I agree with the -3 modifier, but the idea behind directly using exhaustion in example is for attrition style combat, I mentioned considering some sort of penalty and buff gimmick along with a naturally high constitution to tank attacks as the opponents around the cleric slowly get weaker and weaker, essentially the longer you take to attack a plague priest the worse your condition gets until after a maximum of 6 turn you succumb.

Something like that should probably have limited use then, and not be tacked onto every spell. A channel divinity option targeting a creature, and it scales at higher levels to affect more could work.

Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to imbue a magical plague within a creature.

As an action, you present your holy symbol and inflict a creature with a devastating blight. One creature within 30 feet must make a Constitution saving throw. Creatures immune to disease automatically succeed on this saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is plagued.

A plagued creature must repeat the saving throw at the end of each of their turns. On a failed save, the target gains one level of exhaustion. On a successful save, the target stops making Constitution saving throws against this effect, but retains its current level of exhaustion.

Whenever a plagued creature dies, each creature within 5 feet of it must make a Constitution saving throw, becoming plagued on a failed save.

Any effect that can cure disease removes the plagued condition from a creature.

tectonix26
2015-05-09, 12:43 PM
I agree that this certainly needs balancing, as if it effects too many people it's incredibly powerful, but if it does't hit many it's incredibly weak, taking 6 turns to kill a single person. What is your opinion on it being a primary method of offense, that he sacrifices his attack move perhaps for an area around him to be effected all at once?

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-09, 04:28 PM
I agree that this certainly needs balancing, as if it effects too many people it's incredibly powerful, but if it does't hit many it's incredibly weak, taking 6 turns to kill a single person. What is your opinion on it being a primary method of offense, that he sacrifices his attack move perhaps for an area around him to be effected all at once?

I think the attrition gameplay might only be fun for you if everyone else is just sitting around waiting for them to die ;P

And yes, it's weak but CDs shouldn't be auto-kills necessarily. Plus the plague can spread upon the monster's death, which adds to some of its power. Affecting Wis mod creatures would probably work fine, I'm loathe to do soemthing like "everything in 30 feet" a la Light domain's.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-09, 05:37 PM
I decided to try and expand upon this further. Here's my first go at the Affliction domain.

Whether it be caustic fluid, disease or poison, gods of affliction bless the world with the cleansing power of plague. As a wildfire clears the dead brush from a forest, so does plague eliminate the weak and allow the strong to thrive. As an acolyte of affliction, it is your holy duty to carry pestilence and virulence within you, scouring the world of its flaws one life at a time. Those that fall before you are weak; those that survive with you are strong, and all is right with the world.

Plague Domain Spells

Cleric Level
Spells

1st
inflict wounds, ray of sickness

3rd
blindness/deafness, Melf’s acid arrow

5th
gaseous form, stinking cloud

7th
blight, vitriolic sphere

9th
cloudkill, contagion

Plagueborn
Your deity has blessed you with supernatural resistance to their afflictions, to better serve as a vessel of cleansing. When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain advantage on saving throws against poison and disease, and gain resistance to acid damage. Additionally, you learn either the acid splash cantrip or the poison spray cantrip. You can learn both, but to do so you must replace one of your previously chosen cleric cantrips.

Bonus Proficiencies
Also at 1st level, you gain proficiency with heavy armor.

Channel Divinity: Plague
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to imbue a magical plague within creatures.

As an action, you present your holy symbol and bestow upon creatures a devastating affliction. A number of creatures equal to your ability score modifier within 30 feet must make a Constitution saving throw. Creatures immune to disease automatically succeed on this saving throw. On a failed save, a creature is plagued.

A plagued creature must repeat the saving throw at the end of each of their turns. On a failed save, the target gains one level of exhaustion. On a successful save, the target stops making Constitution saving throws against this effect, but retains its current level of exhaustion.

Whenever a plagued creature dies, each creature within 5 feet of it must make a Constitution saving throw, becoming plagued on a failed save.

Any effect that can cure disease removes the plagued condition from a creature.

Plaguebearer
Starting at 6th level, you become immune to poison and disease. Additionally, creatures within 30 feet of you have disadvantage on saving throws against acid, poison and disease, and you ignore a plagued creature’s resistance to acid and/or poison.

Divine Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you
can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 acid or poison damage (your choice) to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Pandemic
At 17th level, your ability to spread plague drastically increases. When you use your Plague, you can instead affect any number of creatures within 30 feet of you. Additionally, whenever a plagued creature fails a saving throw against this effect or dies, each creature within 10 feet of that creature must make a Constitution saving throw, becoming plagued themselves on a failed save.

Plaguebearer's disadvantage clause is probably too powerful, but this is a first attempt.

tectonix26
2015-05-09, 07:22 PM
It's quite obvious that you are much more experienced at this than I, I really love how you wrote that. I think another flaw with the points I made is that it is quite overpowered especially in the early game and with the "6 turns till death" aspect of the plague, it might actually make a decent enemy. One where the party must focus on finding a way to either finish him and decontaminate themselves before they succumb or take him on in a manner with which they can avoid the effect entirely. Not to mention it could provide some interesting plot hooks as to the origin of this exotic warrior-preist.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-09, 07:27 PM
It's quite obvious that you are much more experienced at this than I, I really love how you wrote that. I think another flaw with the points I made is that it is quite overpowered especially in the early game and with the "6 turns till death" aspect of the plague, it might actually make a decent enemy. One where the party must focus on finding a way to either finish him and decontaminate themselves before they succumb or take him on in a manner with which they can avoid the effect entirely. Not to mention it could provide some interesting plot hooks as to the origin of this exotic warrior-preist.

Thanks! I think using Exhaustion offensively is cool, but rarely do creatures succumb to the plague themselves. Normally, it will just weaken them as your companions finish them off. And yeah this could be a very interesting villainous option as well.