PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How would you make the magic door in Howl's moving castle

FabulousFizban
2015-05-07, 07:35 AM
Just what it says: in that movie, Howl has a door that can magically open to four different locations, giving his magic moving castle easy access to vital locations. How would you create this kind of permanent, controllable, multi-location portal?

Also, how would you make the castle?

Heliomance
2015-05-07, 07:48 AM
Castle's easy - that's exactly what the Stronghold Builder's Guide is for. I'm not certain, but I strongly suspect it may well also have rules for a piece of Wondrous Architecture that can do the portal thing.

BWR
2015-05-07, 07:49 AM
Just what it says: in that movie, Howl has a door that can magically open to four different locations, giving his magic moving castle easy access to vital locations. How would you create this kind of permanent, controllable, multi-location portal?

Also, how would you make the castle?

Some version of a permanent Gate or even Teleportation Circle.

the castle is some form of construct with extradimensional space inside. So basically a really big, detailed, mobile Mordenkainen's Manificent Mansion.

FabulousFizban
2015-05-07, 08:22 AM
Some version of a permanent Gate or even Teleportation Circle.

the castle is some form of construct with extradimensional space inside. So basically a really big, detailed, mobile Mordenkainen's Manificent Mansion.

teleportation circle only goes to one location, not multiple, and cannot be deactivated to my knowledge. It is also not a two way portal; teleportation circle is a one way trip.

Also, I'm looking for a RAW build here, if at all possible.

Heliomance
2015-05-07, 08:23 AM
teleportation circle only goes to one location, not multiple, and cannot be deactivated to my knowledge. It is also not a two way portal; teleportation circle is a one way trip.

Also, I'm looking for a RAW build here, if at all possible.

Read the Stronghold Builder's Guide. It has what you want.

FabulousFizban
2015-05-07, 08:23 AM
Castle's easy - that's exactly what the Stronghold Builder's Guide is for. I'm not certain, but I strongly suspect it may well also have rules for a piece of Wondrous Architecture that can do the portal thing.

pathfinder, not 3.5.

EDIT: though I suppose pathfinder is backwards compatible... I'll have to look at the stronghold guide. I would like further ideas from Paizo materials, but I appreciate and will make use of the input.