PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Player Turned Hag

Draco_Lord
2015-05-07, 08:23 AM
Due to some recent events one of my players has turned into a hag. Which honestly is awesome. Not because she is a hag, but because of the whole situation leading up to it. It really involved a fair bit of her backstory (she was a changeling) lots of roleplaying, and ultimately her sacrificing herself, by turning into a hag, to save her friends from being killed by her Mother. I'm being a little loose on the rules of changelings on purprose, basically for better drama.

Anyways, the important part is now I am a little unsure how to procede mechanically. At least with her being a hag. Should I change her racial traits? With Hags there isn't a lot in the books themselves on how to play one. So, should I just leave most of her traits as changeling, and give her the special abilities of a Hag? Or is there another way I can go about this that might be better? She is a green Hag if that matters.

I also want to return her to being a changeling by the end of the story arc, and just would like some suggestions of appropriate ways to go about that. Now, my preferred way, at least in how I like stories to go, would involve her friends fighting against her mother, and using an emotional outcry to get her to turn back. That said, should that be enough to turn her back from a Hag? Mechcanically, pretty sure that is impossible, so just going to DM fiat how that all works. I'm just wondeirng if I should make some more to it? Like have her turn against her mother, but remain a hag until they can do some ritual, or maybe find their way into a powerful wish?

Nibbens
2015-05-07, 09:03 AM
Anyways, the important part is now I am a little unsure how to procede mechanically. At least with her being a hag. Should I change her racial traits? With Hags there isn't a lot in the books themselves on how to play one. So, should I just leave most of her traits as changeling, and give her the special abilities of a Hag? Or is there another way I can go about this that might be better? She is a green Hag if that matters.

mechanically, how about giving her the witch Hex Coven (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/hexes/common-hexes/hex-coven-ex). That should clear up things mechanically. If you don't know how hags and covens work, here's the link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/hag). This has an explanation of all the hag abilities that aren't listed on their page for each individual type of hag.

I also want to return her to being a changeling by the end of the story arc, and just would like some suggestions of appropriate ways to go about that. Now, my preferred way, at least in how I like stories to go, would involve her friends fighting against her mother, and using an emotional outcry to get her to turn back. That said, should that be enough to turn her back from a Hag? Mechcanically, pretty sure that is impossible, so just going to DM fiat how that all works. I'm just wondeirng if I should make some more to it? Like have her turn against her mother, but remain a hag until they can do some ritual, or maybe find their way into a powerful wish?

Going "into" a hag is DM fiat - although, the flavor text from AP's I've read just mention things doing "dark rituals" to become hags with no real details provided, so I guess it's all DM fiat at this point. lol. Getting her out of "hag" status could be a similar ritual, or wish/miracle if you wanted to make a "quest to turn player X back to normal" type of side quest. Those are always fun.

Draco_Lord
2015-05-07, 01:43 PM
The Coven Hex does seem useful, and giving them that would help with some things. I was just more meaning if there were Hag abilities that were a must have vs too powerful? Not to mention that hags have some constant and at will kind of abilities, and maybe some insight into which ones they should get.

The turning into a Hag is actually less DMing then you might think, given that the character is a changeling, and they turn into Hags if they answer their calling, just had the calling act up again, and then her Hag Mother offer her a choice of join her or her friends die. She joined, as at the time her friends were either trapped, dying, or both.

jiriku
2015-05-07, 01:46 PM

Why not ask the players what their plan is? Maybe they'll come up with something cool.

Nibbens
2015-05-07, 01:57 PM
The Coven Hex does seem useful, and giving them that would help with some things. I was just more meaning if there were Hag abilities that were a must have vs too powerful? Not to mention that hags have some constant and at will kind of abilities, and maybe some insight into which ones they should get.

"Too powerful" is pretty darn relative. What is the APL of your group?

And i'd say give her all of them - she's a hag now. Why restrict her? Besides, she won't have it forever - as you intend. And the fact that she has to be within 10 feet of another hag who is in her coven for any of her abilities to work, I don't think that's much of an issue.

Now, if you're referring to the green hag special abilities only, give her all of them as well: 2 claw attacks with weakness, all the constant and spell like abilities. The only one I see as troublesome is the "invisibility" at will, but really, she has to take a single action to cast it in combat and every attack action she makes will pop her out of invisibility. So, it's not that bad. Sorcerers can effectively do the same thing quite often (maybe not as much as a green hag can, but often enough that the comparison can be made).

The turning into a Hag is actually less DMing then you might think, given that the character is a changeling, and they turn into Hags if they answer their calling, just had the calling act up again, and then her Hag Mother offer her a choice of join her or her friends die. She joined, as at the time her friends were either trapped, dying, or both.

Well, then there ya go! lol. No need to DM fiat at all, and I still stand by the "quest" idea to get her out of her hag state when the time comes.

Draco_Lord
2015-05-07, 02:16 PM
Hmm... that is fair.

The Party is actually level 15, and her Hag Mother is much more powerful then the one given in the BE, level 20 about. They actually almost killed her, some of the PCs managed to attack her when she was by herself and focusing on the Changeling. If it wasn`t for Ice Tomb and it`s sort of broken rules, and them being on a demi plane that the Hag created, and had given the quality that she control all of it too, they would have killed her. Low HP and all that. Shame her familiar was busy that day (witch levels make up the difference).

But I think you are right. She gets full abilities, and maybe some extra ones for the high level. And I will keep it simple and not play with her stats.