PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Shadowpouncing Iaijutsu Swordsage build thoughts

DurionArcanis
2015-05-07, 08:48 AM
Looking for some build advice before I finalize this

3.5 only game with the following build relevant houserules in play.

Partial Gestalt as per Tier List.
Racial/Regional prerequisites waived
Sudden Strike is replaced with Sneak Attack.
2 Traits/1 Flaw
Starting level 4
No LA buyoff
No Psionic Transparency (also a high psionics game)

Race: {Wilderness} {Unseelie Fey} Whisper Gnome (no wings, no vision changes)
Primary Classes: start - Swordsage3/Factotum1; planned - Swordsage4/Factotum1/Crinti Shadow Maruader5/SwordsageX
Secondary Class: Warrior (full BAB ftw)
Desired Feats: Weapon Finesse, Quick Draw, TWF, Flick of the Wrist, Battle Jump, Mercurial Strike, Skill Focus (Iaijutsu), Mounted Combat*, Stealthy*
Skills: Handle Animal 4*, Hide 8*, Move Silently 8*, Ride 8*, Iaijutsu X, Sleight of Hand X, Tumble X
Weapon: 2x Gnomish Quickrazors
Ability Score Focus: Dex>Wis>Int>Con>Str>Cha
Trait: Quick, Homebrew (change the ability score associated with a skill, take -1 to all skill checks associated with previous ability score)
Flaw: Insomniac

*Prerequisites

Possible dips:

Warblade? (suggested by someone)
Fighter//Swashbuckler (bonus fighter feat plus weap finesse)
Psionic Warrior (bonus feat plus bare minimum psionics)

Any thoughts on this? Anyone have any suggestions for how to get more attacks or stronger attacks that aren't hard to go after? As it is, this is a very feat heavy build, bonus feats would be helpful as well. Any fat to trim off this current setup? Anyone have a good way to get Shadowpounce without heavy feat tax?

captain fubar
2015-05-08, 02:39 AM
shadow pounce is a powerful ability and both Prestige classes that grant it require a large investment to get into however a similar benefit can be gained with a singe feat the sun school (from I think Cwar) will let you make a single unarmed strike after each teleportation.
throw in snap kick if you want more attacks.
with sword sage you should already have a few ways to make high damage single strikes but finding a way to count your unarmed strike as having just been drawn would take a absurd level of OPfu shenanigans

Aegis013
2015-05-08, 03:29 AM
...but finding a way to count your unarmed strike as having just been drawn would take a absurd level of OPfu shenanigans

Or a permissive DM who will let you pull your hands from your pockets as a free action (they might want you to take Quick Draw feat) and bop your foe on the nose.

If you have such a lenient DM to allow that, you might also consider a dip into Decisive Strike Monk (PHB II) at some point in your career. Full Round action to make a single unarmed strike against a foe that makes every attack you make against that target for the rest of the round deal double damage. You can use this in conjunction with Shadow Blink (or Belt of Battle into Shadow Jaunt and Shadow Stride) with Snap Kick via Shadow Pounce to get some impressive damage, although it won't double Iaijutsu damage, as bonus damage expressed in dice isn't subject to multipliers. Just something to consider.

DurionArcanis
2015-05-08, 03:27 PM
While those are nice suggestions I don't think I'll be able to use Iaijutsu with unarmed strikes. Also I am a little set on using Iaijutsu for this build as well.

I'm considering dropping the TWF route as while it grants me 1 or more extra attacks depending on the feats I take, I'm already pretty feat heavy in this.