PDA

View Full Version : DnD 5e Sorcerer/Warlock multiclass character concept

Sander
2015-05-07, 09:57 AM
Hey Guys!
First time posting in here, so be nice :smallbiggrin: (do speak up if I posted in the wrong place or something, though...)

After hibernating from DnD for quite a few years, having played Pathfinder and 40k in the meantime, I'm gonna be joining a new 5e campaign sometime next month.
Now for the interesting part: The DM has decided to make his own characters and then let us choose from those. (He made, like, 20-25 different ones)
I've decided in favor of playing his half-elf fey warlock.
He decided the background (mainly) which is basically a half-elf that grew up in a human society not knowing his father (an elven sorcerer of some kind). Long story short; He lacks any particular talent, gets kinda depressed at that (think not having a place in human society) and decides to go explore his elven ancestry. Ending up in an ancient forest home to many elves and other fey creatures, he has a chance meeting with a Fey Queen who takes him under her wing and eventually signs a pact with him, granting him his warlocky powers.

Stats, appereance and further development is largely up to each player, so no strings attached in that regard.
So I though about making him a chain-pact warlock, to have a little fey-sprite flying around, might be fun. (Hopefully not quite as annoying as the one from the Zelda series, though...)
Also, I figured I would make him multiclass "wild" sorcerer later on. Fluff-wise because of him unlocking some innate fey power from his father (open to suggestion, though), and mechanically for metamagic and a handfull of lower-level spellslots for utility casting (imo, the warlock's biggest weakness). Does this sound entirely wack? Or is it reasonable enough?? If so, how should I split the levels? I realize going Warlock 2 / sorcerer 18 would probably be the strongest, but I'd prefer to have warlock as the main class. To that end, I figured something like Warlock 17 / Sorcerer 3 might be good. Any help appreciated!! (Also just in generel, in terms of feats and whatnot)

TL;DR
Making a half-elf fey-patron chain-pact warlock. Wants to multiclass sorcerer. Not sure how many levels to do of either one to still be viable. Thinking warlock 17 / sorcerer 3 as I'd prefer going warlock as main class.

SharkForce
2015-05-07, 10:06 AM
not much point in going less than 3 levels of sorcerer, as that's where basically all of the good stuff the class has to offer comes from. you may in the distant future want to consider going as high as 5 levels of sorcerer just so that you don't waste sorcerery points from converting warlock spell slots into sorcerery points, but if your primary goal is to be a warlock, i'd say putting the rest of your levels into warlock makes the most sense.

(though i'm not sure i would have chosen sorcerer for utility casting personally).

Mandragola
2015-05-07, 10:25 AM
Well the logic of going sorcerer is that they use the same casting stat, I assume.

That said, I agree sorcerers aren't great utility casters. Nor are warlocks - which are really archers with different fluff.

If you do want utility from the character then taking the book rather than the familiar makes sense - and then take the find familiar spell as a ritual. You won't get a sprite but you'll get an owl, bat or something. You can then also get other cool like shillelagh and other cantrips.

There's other ways in which you can bring utility though. As a half elf you get extra skills, which gives you the opportunity to be a scout, or the party face, or some other cool thing.

Yagyujubei
2015-05-07, 10:31 AM
Hey Guys!
First time posting in here, so be nice :smallbiggrin: (do speak up if I posted in the wrong place or something, though...)

After hibernating from DnD for quite a few years, having played Pathfinder and 40k in the meantime, I'm gonna be joining a new 5e campaign sometime next month.
Now for the interesting part: The DM has decided to make his own characters and then let us choose from those. (He made, like, 20-25 different ones)
I've decided in favor of playing his half-elf fey warlock.
He decided the background (mainly) which is basically a half-elf that grew up in a human society not knowing his father (an elven sorcerer of some kind). Long story short; He lacks any particular talent, gets kinda depressed at that (think not having a place in human society) and decides to go explore his elven ancestry. Ending up in an ancient forest home to many elves and other fey creatures, he has a chance meeting with a Fey Queen who takes him under his wing and eventually signs a pact with him, granting him his warlocky powers.

Stats, appereance and further development is largely up to each player, so no strings attached in that regard.
So I though about making him a chain-pact warlock, to have a little fey-sprite flying around, might be fun. (Hopefully not quite as annoying as the one from the Zelda series, though...)
Also, I figured I would make him multiclass "wild" sorcerer later on. Fluff-wise because of him unlocking some innate fey power from his father (open to suggestion, though), and mechanically for metamagic and a handfull of lower-level spellslots for utility casting (imo, the warlock's biggest weakness). Does this sound entirely wack? Or is it reasonable enough?? If so, how should I split the levels? I realize going Warlock 2 / sorcerer 18 would probably be the strongest, but I'd prefer to have warlock as the main class. To that end, I figured something like Warlock 17 / Sorcerer 3 might be good. Any help appreciated!! (Also just in generel, in terms of feats and whatnot)

TL;DR
Making a half-elf fey-patron chain-pact warlock. Wants to multiclass sorcerer. Not sure how many levels to do of either one to still be viable. Thinking warlock 17 / sorcerer 3 as I'd prefer going warlock as main class.

this made me lol harder than it should have. its not gay if hes fey folks

Sander
2015-05-07, 10:52 AM
this made me lol harder than it should have. its not gay if hes fey folks

Sometimes I astound myself with how I always seem to miss details like that. Oh well, glad you laughed, then it at the very least served some purpose :P

Yagyujubei
2015-05-07, 11:11 AM
Sometimes I astound myself with how I always seem to miss details like that. Oh well, glad you laughed, then it at the very least served some purpose :P

yeah hehe, and you have the level split right. 3 dip in sorc is all you need to get spell font and meta magic. if you can somehow legitimize dragonblood RP wise the lvl 3 bonus from it is really nice to add some beefiness. if you can get your dm to let you pick force dmg as your dragon type it will buff EB a bit.

OR you could try to get your DM to allow you to use the stormheart archetpye WotC just put out to get free flight for days. bonus action flight for 10 feet anytime you cast a spell could be pretty powerful if it also applies to all the free spells warlocks get through invocations.

OR you could go stormheart for 6 levels to get some pretty awesome flavored abilities that a fey queen might grant you.