PDA

View Full Version : From when casting quicken spell is a swift action?

With a box
2015-05-07, 01:43 PM
was it in RC?

NeoPhoenix0
2015-05-07, 01:46 PM
I think the earliest is during the complete series, which is pretty early on. I know there is a sidebar in complete arcane that says quicken spell is a swift action not a free action. So basically it became a swift action when they came out with swift actions.

With a box
2015-05-07, 01:55 PM
I think the earliest is during the complete series, which is pretty early on. I know there is a sidebar in complete arcane that says quicken spell is a swift action not a free action. So basically it became a swift action when they came out with swift actions.

but isn't the PHB is the primary source of quicken spell, dues overide whatever said about in Complete series?
is there two feats? quicken spell(PHB) and quicken spell(Complet X)?

NeoPhoenix0
2015-05-07, 02:03 PM
You're looking for a Rules As Written answer?

PHB is the primary source for the feat, the other books are the primary source for swift and immediate actions. There is no conflict resolution using the primary source rule.

Edit:So, if there is a RAW answer it would be quicken spell is a swift action as long as you are using rules that include swift and immediate actions.

With a box
2015-05-07, 02:15 PM
You're looking for a Rules As Written answer?

PHB is the primary source for the feat, the other books are the primary source for swift and immediate actions. There is no conflict resolution using the primary source rule.

Edit:So, if there is a RAW answer it would be quicken spell is a swift action as long as you are using rules that include swift and immediate actions.
So can I interpret that casting quicken spell uses a free action and shift action?
It means even if get second shift action I can't cast two quicken spell?

Troacctid
2015-05-07, 02:44 PM
So can I interpret that casting quicken spell uses a free action and shift action?

I think the text that says you can only cast one quickened spell per turn was removed in the more recent deluxe printings of the Player's Handbook, which are supposed to take precedence over the old versions. So now they're just a swift action with no other special restrictions. I don't have the book on hand, so someone who does have it can correct me if I'm wrong.

Flickerdart
2015-05-07, 02:55 PM
"You may cast only one quickened spell per round" is an unrelated limitation to the action cost. You can have a million swift actions and can still only Quicken 1/round, unless you have the Epic feat Multispell.

Troacctid
2015-05-07, 03:23 PM
"You may cast only one quickened spell per round" is an unrelated limitation to the action cost. You can have a million swift actions and can still only Quicken 1/round, unless you have the Epic feat Multispell.

Yes, but that rule was removed in the updated PHB, wasn't it? So it's no longer a thing.

Eloel
2015-05-07, 03:32 PM
Casting a quickened spell is a swift action (instead of a free action, as stated in the Quicken Spell feat description in the Player’s Handbook

This is not a contradictory rule, but rather a rule expansion/clarification, since swift actions are 1/round free actions.