PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Negative Energy Touch and Sneak Attack

Thurbane
2015-05-07, 06:03 PM
I asked this in the Q&A thread, but I wanted to check in more detail.

A Sepulchral Thief (Cityscape p.133) has a negative energy touch attack, that deals 1d8+5 damage (Will save for half). My questions are:

A.) Can this touch be used to deliver a sneak attack (my understanding was pretty much that anything that required an attack roll and dealt damage would work, within the normal limits of Sneak Attack)?

B.) If so, does the Will save for half damage only apply to the initial 1d8+5, or does it halve the total damage, including the Sneak Attack dice?

Cheers - T

FocusWolf413
2015-05-07, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure if this is the official ruling, but I like to think of it like this:

You have (Damaginging thing)+Sneak Attack, where there's the spell or SLA or whatever does the damage, and then if it actually does damage and qualifies for sneak attack, you add that at the end. Sneak attacks aren't affected by critical hits, so I think sneak attacks are separate.

Again, not sure.

Eloel
2015-05-07, 06:56 PM
I think it's 'yes' to first, and will half to all for second, though I can't quote anything on that.

The Viscount
2015-05-07, 06:59 PM
From my experience with SA monsters and the like I'd say yes, because the touch attack is essentially at-will inflict light wounds (caster level 5th). As an SLA it would allow sneak attack, so i can see no reason why it wouldn't as a Su ability.

Again treating it as if it were a spell, I'd say the will half only applies to the touch attack, though the SA dice will also be negative energy for what it matters.

Keld Denar
2015-05-07, 11:58 PM
So here's something to ponder...if you Sneak Attack with a Disintegrate, it'll deal 2d6/CL +SA. How much damage will it do on a successful save? Cause it's not just 1/2 damage, its 5d6. So would it be 5d6 + SA? 5d6 + 1/2 SA? Just 5d6, no SA? The latter two just seem awkward.

I think the most plain and simple way to run it is that the SA is separate and independent of the save. As long as the attack deals at least 1 point of damage (not evaded or mettled or otherwise negated) then the SA damage will apply.