PDA

View Full Version : So besides being a straigh up brutish fighter, what do you think minatours can do wel

CyberThread
2015-05-07, 07:40 PM
the title, it says it all?

AmbientRaven
2015-05-07, 08:14 PM
Almost any class could work well with them.
The straight up fighters work best (Fighter/barb). But they can make good clerics (war and tempest especially), good valor bards, good rogues

Like any race, anything can work well

gameogre
2015-05-07, 08:16 PM
They make decent wizards as well with the +1 Int. A Minotaur Wizard just sounds kewl as well.

Rhaegar14
2015-05-07, 08:27 PM
They make decent wizards as well with the +1 Int. A Minotaur Wizard just sounds kewl as well.

They're basically born to be Eldritch Knights if they pick the Intelligence boost.

Easy_Lee
2015-05-07, 08:51 PM
They're basically born to be Eldritch Knights if they pick the Intelligence boost.

Them and forest gnomes, funnily enough.

Rhaegar14
2015-05-07, 08:58 PM
Them and forest gnomes, funnily enough.

I would argue High Elves before Forest Gnomes for a Dex-based EK, especially since they can choose any Wizard cantrip they want, but I hadn't actually considered Forest Gnome before. That's pretty amusing.

Gwendol
2015-05-08, 12:25 AM
Monk would be interesting. Ranger as well.

Logosloki
2015-05-08, 08:30 AM
A blade pact warlock can choose what their summoned weapon looks like so I would be tempted to play a one horned minotaur who summons a weapon that looks their missing horn. Probably the only class that might have an issue is monk. Another fun option are smiting your foes with your horns. With a bit of work with the DM you may be able to get the ability to Shillelagh you horns but even if you can't you can still magical weapon or elemental weapon them. On the more interesting side, if you have a quantity of bone and are proficient with blacksmith's tools you can fabricate your horns and give them to other people (please note, I do not codon this in a serious game, because giving your DM a headache or forcing your DM to become captain killjoy is not fun for anyone).

Shining Wrath
2015-05-08, 09:48 AM
Ability to have +1 STR, +1 Wisdom lends itself to some cleric and monk builds.
In addition, although it's not explicitly stated, I'd let a minotaur use his horns as a monk weapon - flurry of blows with horns is amazing to visualize.

But I'll agree that barbarian and fighter seem most iconic.

zeek0
2015-05-08, 02:32 PM
Ability to have +1 STR, +1 Wisdom lends itself to some cleric and monk builds.
In addition, although it's not explicitly stated, I'd let a minotaur use his horns as a monk weapon - flurry of blows with horns is amazing to visualize.

But I'll agree that barbarian and fighter seem most iconic.

Actually, the text specifically states:

"You are never unarmed. You are proficient with your horns, which are a melee weapon that deals 1d10 piercing damage."

Seems clear to me that they explicitly state that you cannot use a minotaur horn as an unarmed attack.

Xetheral
2015-05-08, 03:12 PM

"You are never unarmed. You are proficient with your horns, which are a melee weapon that deals 1d10 piercing damage."

Seems clear to me that they explicitly state that you cannot use a minotaur horn as an unarmed attack.

Which unfortunately then creates the problem that they are ineligible to use the Martial Arts class feature, since horns are not a monk weapon. (Although so long as they don't actually use their horns and martial arts in the same round, I can't see any balance problems with allowing it.)

DireSickFish
2015-05-08, 03:24 PM
I think they'd be good farmers. After all they could pull the plow themselves!

Cartographer would be good as they can remember exactly where they were relative to there current position. Make some solid maps that way.

Flashy
2015-05-08, 06:08 PM

And War Clerics if they take wisdom.

numerek
2015-05-08, 08:31 PM
They have a slight advantage at two weapon fighting if they take the feat that removes the light rider, use horns as main weapon, rapier or whatever as offhand weapon. You may need to hold your horn with one of your hands to be RAW. They get part of the charger feat for free so they have an advantage at getting to the back ranks of enemies which is usually where the squishiest are. setting up advantage on subsequent melee attacks with the advantage on shoves.

ChubbyRain
2015-05-08, 09:18 PM
Really any caster, I mean, they won't expect the huge mofo bull to be the caster... Until it is too late.

Abjuration melee wizard, perhaps some warlock in there?

Shining Wrath
2015-05-09, 08:08 AM

It seem unfair that they can't, but RAW, you win.

zeek0
2015-05-09, 08:16 AM
It seem unfair that they can't, but RAW, you win.

Personally, I would allow them to be monks, but not use their horn as an unarmed attack - at least until their fists would be 1d10 anyhow. It overpowers the class from the beginning, for no probable reason.

HoarsHalberd
2015-05-09, 08:22 AM
If they grabbed their horns with their hand, would they be the best duelling class in the game by RAW? (1d10+stat+2 from duelling)

lonewulf
2015-05-09, 09:21 AM
Really any caster, I mean, they won't expect the huge mofo bull to be the caster... Until it is too late.

Abjuration melee wizard, perhaps some warlock in there?

I can picture a Minotaur Storm Sorcerer...and its an awesome image. Put both racial bonuses in Str and impale things before/after electrocuting them...far from optimized but would be hella fun to play. Do a Fighter dip for Action Surge, Armor/weapon prof. for added melee capability.

Chronos
2015-05-09, 11:08 AM
They could use Dueling and Two-Weapon Fighting simultaneously: Longsword in one hand, nothing in the other hand, horn on head.

Easy_Lee
2015-05-09, 12:13 PM
If they grabbed their horns with their hand, would they be the best duelling class in the game by RAW? (1d10+stat+2 from duelling)

This made me laugh. That's some Kung Pow level stuff right there.

Chronos
2015-05-09, 04:24 PM
I believe the term you're looking for is "Kung Mu".

ChubbyRain
2015-05-09, 05:53 PM
They could use Dueling and Two-Weapon Fighting simultaneously: Longsword in one hand, nothing in the other hand, horn on head.

I see many DMs ruling that to gain the bonus from your Dueling class feature you must be using that style if fighting and not be using twf.

However, that just makes a great image and HP damage is the least broken thing in the game (since everyone is competent at it and can NOVA).

Rfkannen
2015-05-09, 06:06 PM
Just thinking about minotaur eldrich knights, and realised that a eldrich knight 7 wizard 13 would be tottaly awesome
with the fighter you can bind a javalin, thereby makeing it so you are always armed bolth ranged and melee (what with horns) and you can make your javalin come back to you! also extra attacks and all that, you can with action surge attack 3 times and cast a cantrip as well as a bonus action

From wizard you get spell book which works off your spell level not wizard level, giveing you a ton of spells, as well at spell slots up to level 8

with schools you have a bunch of options
conjuration is in my opinion the best. You can conjure weapons and armor, you can fight in melee with your summons after wizard 10 as they don't break concentration, and with action surge you can teleport and then gore someone so that you move very far and displace someone, teleporting is always useful.

abjuration doesnt do much with you being a minotaure but with arcane ward and hammering horns you would be a hell of a tank

divanations rerolls can be used in melee, that can be pretty powerful.

and transmution lets you add 20 feet to your charge

what do you think? Decent build for a minotaur? What school do you think would be best.

Oh also, best build for minotaur is probably war cleric.

ChubbyRain
2015-05-09, 06:14 PM
Just thinking about minotaur eldrich knights, and realised that a eldrich knight 7 wizard 13 would be tottaly awesome
with the fighter you can bind a javalin, thereby makeing it so you are always armed bolth ranged and melee (what with horns) and you can make your javalin come back to you! also extra attacks and all that, you can with action surge attack 3 times and cast a cantrip as well as a bonus action

At level 7 fighter, without the twf feat or a BA to attack with, your number of attacks with using an action and then action surge would be 4. Unless you count haste...

You get 1 attack as normal, 1 attack from extra attack, 2 attacks from action surge (1 normal + 1 extra attack), and finally 1 from haste.

5 attacks that way.

Then you still have your bonus action to cast a spell if you like, clerics have the best bonus action attack spell with Spiritual Weapon... So add another attack for xd8+ wis (?)...

6 attack nova

MeeposFire
2015-05-09, 06:30 PM

From wizard you get spell book which works off your spell level not wizard level, giveing you a ton of spells, as well at spell slots up to level 8

with schools you have a bunch of options
conjuration is in my opinion the best. You can conjure weapons and armor, you can fight in melee with your summons after wizard 10 as they don't break concentration, and with action surge you can teleport and then gore someone so that you move very far and displace someone, teleporting is always useful.

abjuration doesnt do much with you being a minotaure but with arcane ward and hammering horns you would be a hell of a tank

divanations rerolls can be used in melee, that can be pretty powerful.

and transmution lets you add 20 feet to your charge

what do you think? Decent build for a minotaur? What school do you think would be best.

Oh also, best build for minotaur is probably war cleric.

Just to be sure you are not confused the eldritch knight ability allows you to make a weapon attack as a bonus action not cast the cantrip as a bonus action.

Rfkannen
2015-05-09, 06:39 PM
Just to be sure you are not confused the eldritch knight ability allows you to make a weapon attack as a bonus action not cast the cantrip as a bonus action.

yes, yes I was. WOops

Capac Amaru
2015-05-10, 08:02 PM
Minotaurs make great fillings for sandwiches. Bit of cheese, ketchup, onion, pickles. Mmm.

lonewulf
2015-05-10, 08:07 PM
Minotaurs make great fillings for sandwiches. Bit of cheese, ketchup, onion, pickles. Mmm.

I prefer a nice MLT. Minotaur, lettuce and tomato...when the Minotaur is nice and lean...so perky, i love that.

Easy_Lee
2015-05-10, 08:11 PM
I prefer a nice MLT. Minotaur, lettuce and tomato...when the Minotaur is nice and lean...so perky, i love that.

Since the classic Minotaur is half-man, is this half-cannibalism?

Capac Amaru
2015-05-10, 08:17 PM

I prefer the term 'cannibal-lite'

MeeposFire
2015-05-10, 08:18 PM

Only if you forget the mustard.

Chronos
2015-05-10, 08:29 PM
Remember, that was posted by lonewulf. For him, half-cannibalism would be eating a lycanthrope, not a minotaur.

ChubbyRain
2015-05-10, 08:52 PM

I don't see how that would be a problem, well, if you are playing a halfling...

squab
2015-05-10, 10:01 PM
So, uh, what book allows you to play a minotaur in 5th ed?

Easy_Lee
2015-05-10, 10:03 PM
So, uh, what book allows you to play a minotaur in 5th ed?

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf

It's just a PDF, and I believe it's subject to change

Safety Sword
2015-05-10, 11:47 PM

And they come with a glass of milk on the side?

Capac Amaru
2015-05-11, 12:02 AM
And they come with a glass of milk on the side?

Lets not get into minotaur gender politics.

Chronos
2015-05-11, 09:08 AM
No, with lettuce, tomato, Heinz 57, French fries, a pickle, and a beer.

lonewulf
2015-05-11, 12:27 PM
Remember, that was posted by lonewulf. For him, half-cannibalism would be eating a lycanthrope, not a minotaur.

Exactly. My eating a Minotaur is only natural. I would almost never eat a lycanthrope....well....not terribly often.

Simian
2015-05-12, 05:53 PM
Arcane Trickster Rogue with expertise on Athletics so you can shove with advantage and a +4-12 from proficiency!

If you dipped into EK for extra attack the shove would let you get your sneak attack in and shove the creature away so you could dash as your bonus action. It's like getting to disengage and dash in the same turn. 5 levels is a bit of a costly dip but you would also get action surge and a fighting style, you would finish with full spell slots but no 4th level spells known, I guess action surge = your 4th level spell.

Just think of action surge as your equivalent to quicken spell!

Sneak attack, shove, dash, fireball.