PDA

View Full Version : Had a visit from Thor today

TheThan
2015-05-07, 08:24 PM
So a rain storm just finished passing over head. Rain, hail, thunder, lightening, the works.

It was nice to see even a little bit of rain. The whole state is in an awful drought so every little drop helps.

Anyway it's really easy to see why the ancients associated thunder and lightning with gods.

BannedInSchool
2015-05-07, 09:06 PM
Ever been about one hundred yards from a tree being blown up by lightning? :smalleek:

TheThan
2015-05-07, 11:36 PM
Nope, But I did see a transformer get hit by lightning and blow sky high though.

I was in P.E. class in high school swimming in the dive pool when it happened. Was about 30 yards away. We vacated the pool REAL fast.

KuReshtin
2015-05-08, 03:13 AM
Nope, But I did see a transformer get hit by lightning and blow sky high though.

Was it an Autobot or a Decepticon?:smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2015-05-08, 06:46 AM

See? ancient vikings were right. Puny technology doesn't stand a chance against the Power of Lightning!

TheThan
2015-05-09, 04:41 PM
hah, that's funny guys.

arguskos
2015-05-09, 05:05 PM

I was in P.E. class in high school swimming in the dive pool when it happened. Was about 30 yards away. We vacated the pool REAL fast.
I've been in a pool during a thunderstorm. It was actually extremely cool. Diving was very neat since you could look up and see the rain impacting the surface with lightning in the skies above your head. Amazing stuff.

As for Thor, I was deeply disappointed that this thread wasn't about paganism. I've had many mystical experiences recently I'd like to share and this thread had be excited for a moment. Oh well. Back to the silence of lurking I go.

Bulldog Psion
2015-05-09, 05:15 PM
So a rain storm just finished passing over head. Rain, hail, thunder, lightening, the works.

It was nice to see even a little bit of rain. The whole state is in an awful drought so every little drop helps.

Anyway it's really easy to see why the ancients associated thunder and lightning with gods.

You should try a derecho in Wisconsin. Then, you'll see why the ancients thought the gods were wrathful. :smallwink:

Scarlet Knight
2015-05-09, 06:36 PM
Every year the news has pictures of flood damaged farms by the Mississippi. If we could only find some Romans to build aquaducts from there to southern California...

TheThan
2015-05-09, 08:31 PM
Every year the news has pictures of flood damaged farms by the Mississippi. If we could only find some Romans to build aquaducts from there to southern California...

Yeah i agree we need a way to ship all that water across the continent. But the central portion of the state needs it more, as it's a HUGE food production area. Food don't grow without water ya know.

darkscizor
2015-05-10, 08:21 PM
...It was actually extremely cool. Diving was very neat since you could look up and see the rain impacting the surface with lightning in the skies above your head. Amazing stuff...

And if anyone was wondering, this is how people get darwin awards.

leafman
2015-05-10, 08:31 PM
Yeah i agree we need a way to ship all that water across the continent. But the central portion of the state needs it more, as it's a HUGE food production area. Food don't grow without water ya know.

That's something that has had me scratching my head recently. They can design and potentially build a pipeline to move oil from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico, but no one has tried to build a pipeline to move water from water rich areas of the US to California and other dry regions

BannedInSchool
2015-05-10, 08:42 PM
That's something that has had me scratching my head recently. They can design and potentially build a pipeline to move oil from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico, but no one has tried to build a pipeline to move water from water rich areas of the US to California and other dry regions
I suspect water rights would stand in the way of that. With oil you can buy the rights to pump it and it's yours. With water it gets all tricky legally because those downstream don't want those upstream to "own" all the water. It can be illegal to even collect rainwater on your property because it naturally would have gone downstream. With ranching and farming you'll get pretty upset if your neighbor keeps all the water running through his property and into yours for himself, ride over there and shoot him upset probably not going even all the way back to the Wild West. :smallsmile: So even if there's seemingly a surplus of fresh water somewhere I suspect it would be entirely illegal for anyone to say that they'll just take the water and sell it to California.

TheThan
2015-05-10, 08:48 PM
And if anyone was wondering, this is how people get darwin awards.

Haha

Being a teenager at the time. When we saw it hit, my first reaction was "oh cool!". with time and experience most us figure out we're not immortal. But it seems like Thor's concentrating his might on the mid-west. You guys have an influx of jötnar lately?

TheThan
2015-05-15, 07:01 PM
I suspect water rights would stand in the way of that. With oil you can buy the rights to pump it and it's yours. With water it gets all tricky legally because those downstream don't want those upstream to "own" all the water. It can be illegal to even collect rainwater on your property because it naturally would have gone downstream. With ranching and farming you'll get pretty upset if your neighbor keeps all the water running through his property and into yours for himself, ride over there and shoot him upset probably not going even all the way back to the Wild West. :smallsmile: So even if there's seemingly a surplus of fresh water somewhere I suspect it would be entirely illegal for anyone to say that they'll just take the water and sell it to California.

yeah, yet at the same time they have the California aqueduct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Aqueduct) that takes water from Central California mountains to southern California. Basically they steal our water to supply golf courses with water so they stay green... OK that's a bit of an exaggeration. but it's frustrating to see water in these canals (which i've seen filled to the brim before) and then here about local farmers having to negotiate with the government for water.

... sorry that gets me a bit rialed up... the good news. it's raining. yay rain! (it's been trying to rain since yesterday).

BannedInSchool
2015-05-15, 07:32 PM
yeah, yet at the same time they have the California aqueduct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Aqueduct) that takes water from Central California mountains to southern California.
That's just the people of California deciding how to divide up their water amongst themselves with no one else downstream. If you want to keep that water for yourself in NoCal you'll just have to {edit: oops, that might be politics}. :smallwink:

AIUI, the dividing up of the Colorado river amongst the various states it passes through is a big tangle, but it also makes me want to yell at people to stop moving to live in the desert. :smalltongue: I'm only semi-arid, but my drinking glaciers are all melting. :smallfrown:

Scarlet Knight
2015-05-15, 08:48 PM
That's why I thought it should come from an area where the sluices are opened only for flood relief. I understand the Great Lakes regions have passed laws to prevent water-shipping to protect their supply. It would pay for itself in preventing flood damage. I would send water to central California but the Rockies might be problematic.

TheThan
2015-05-15, 09:13 PM
AIUI, the dividing up of the Colorado river amongst the various states it passes through is a big tangle, but it also makes me want to yell at people to stop moving to live in the desert. :smalltongue: I'm only semi-arid, but my drinking glaciers are all melting. :smallfrown:

I can only imagine.

You gotta love humanity. We decide to live in some of the most inhospitable places and turn them into hospitable places with little regard for the amount of resources we’re actually consuming to live there.

Antonok
2015-05-15, 11:34 PM
Ever been about one hundred yards from a tree being blown up by lightning? :smalleek:

Tree about 10 yards behind my apartment got struck once. If you ever wanted to know what being in ground zero of a bomb going off, it's a pretty good simulation. Think it mentally scarred my cat for life though.

I can only imagine.

You gotta love humanity. We decide to live in some of the most inhospitable places and turn them into hospitable places with little regard for the amount of resources we’re actually consuming to live there.

At this point, we're kinda running out of places TO inhabit. And some of those places have resources themselves (gold comes to mind, plus a surplus of buried Atari E.T. cartridges) so there is a minor trade off to it, not that I'm disagreeing with you mind.

AtlanteanTroll
2015-05-16, 12:09 AM
Was it an Autobot or a Decepticon?:smallbiggrin:

Dammit, Ku. :smallbiggrin:

http://treasure.diylol.com/uploads/post/image/358212/resized_your-music-is-bad-meme-generator-your-post-is-bad-and-you-should-feel-bad-e72301.jpg

Scarlet Knight
2015-05-16, 09:06 PM
Thor visited us today, after ignoring my area for a month.

Why? Because we had a charity fund raiser today.

Thor's a jerk...:smallyuk:

BWR
2015-05-19, 05:37 AM
I've seen an RV hit by lightning while nearby.

Hellborn_Blight
2015-05-19, 06:01 AM
I suspect water rights would stand in the way of that.

Trust me, If a corporation wanted to do this, they could. I'm in south east MO, and we have a company that is double screwing us. They have tapped an underground spring that feeds, HUNDREDS of local farm houses and are using an unfair amount of it for a salt mine they set up in the area, then shipping this salt slush mix off to be processed where the water is then passed along to a fracking arm of their company in OK. It is BS, and we can't do anything about it.

RabbitHoleLost
2015-05-25, 09:42 AM
the water is then passed along to a fracking arm of their company in OK.

and that's why Oklahoma has more earthquakes than California :smallyuk:

sktarq
2015-06-12, 10:14 PM
As long as they are small you should be fine-if it triggers one of your region's big boys (the kind that moves the Mississippi) tthen be worried. In the meantime invest in a building code upgrade.

drack
2015-06-14, 09:19 PM
Yup, was it last week or the week before? Anywho, I was standing out in a rainstorm with lots of lightening, the sort you really only notice once every few years, and there I was stuck beside a big metal tower watching thick hearty bolts strike down in the same spot in the distance as the storm rolled overhead. Then in the field not 20' from me I saw three bolts (OK, maybe multiple bolts/bolt if ya know what I mean, but 3 separate instances), strike down, arcing and rippling through the large puddles there leaving me marveling at how rain itself is so great a path for lightening. That and how darned lethal those things are. :smalleek:

Bulldog Psion
2015-06-15, 07:22 PM
Northern Wisconsin looks to be risking a drought here, too, though everything's still green and fresh for the moment. They keep forecasting rain, though, and we keep getting brief showers or nothing at all.

The only time it rained in the last two weeks I can remember is when I left the windows in my van down because it wasn't forecast. Got a nice downpour that left water squeezing out of the seat and soaking my pants next morning when I ran out for groceries. :smallyuk:

So, it looks like CA. and WI. might have something in common recently... lack of rain. :smalleek:

TheThan
2015-06-15, 08:08 PM
So, it looks like CA. and WI. might have something in common recently... lack of rain. :smalleek:

You mean besides cheese.

Anyway I heard people are actually stealing water from others up in the Bay Area.