PDA

View Full Version : *Spoiler?* How V gets out of this one...

ryos
2007-04-18, 11:36 PM
Five words:

I prepared "explosive runes" today.

It's been far too long. Seriously.

jindra34
2007-04-18, 11:37 PM
Five words:

I prepared "explosive runes" today.

It's been far too long. Seriously.

will not work spell resistance still intervines... arbitrary but hey thats the brakes...
MY preference: a well placed Force wall comibned with permanancy... it would bash its head in trying to get to V...

Tharivol123
2007-04-18, 11:39 PM
Plus the Death Knight would have to read it. I don't think he's too inclined to read something right now, but V has somehting up his/her sleeves.
Spiked Tentacles again maybe?

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-18, 11:43 PM
Nah, Durkon comes from above! There's no spell resistance vs. a giant dwarf falling from heaven and creaming you. Plus, Durkon is the only one to not do anything really unique this fight (so far). V has recieved a lot of screen time, Elan has been the center of a couple jokes, Haley has had a punchline and did the arrow-note thing, Belkar has had an internal dialogue and asserted his dominance over a pile of hobgoblin bodies, and Roy had his own freaking splash panel. Durkon is long overdue to do something cool.

Tharivol123
2007-04-18, 11:47 PM
Jade,
I would normally agree with you on this part, but the last time we saw Durkon he was by Haley, which is nowhere near V's location if I'm not mistaken. I don't think Durkon has the move speed to get there in time, but Plot beats Rules in the universe, so here's hoping it continues.

Dabble
of course there is always the possibility that V does not get out of this, however I think we can all agree that outcome is highly unlikely, and not really funny.

There have been discussions that V has not yet said the 4 words (via the oracle) and that would have to happen before she died right?

No-one really seems to be that close to her, I think all the Giant Soldiers are dead, as is the General... Any one for copyright lawyers?

Assassinfox
V doesn't get out of this one. (S)he's gonna die horribly. :smallsmile:

jindra34
2007-04-18, 11:48 PM
of course there is always the possibility that V does not get out of this, however I think we can all agree that outcome is highly unlikely, and not really funny.

There have been discussions that V has not yet said the 4 words (via the oracle) and that would have to happen before she died right?

No-one really seems to be that close to her, I think all the Giant Soldiers are dead, as is the General... Any one for copyright lawyers?

NAah... That joke has been played out

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-18, 11:48 PM
I thought of that too, but as you said, Durkon moves at the speed of plot. Besides, the deathknight did his skid-charge-looney tunes thing and a whole fight ensued, so now we don't know exactly where he is. There's also the hint that some time passed between 438 and 440 - more than one round.

Edit: this was to Thar...

skinkatlarge
2007-04-18, 11:55 PM
If she hasn't used all her Disintigrates, I'd make a 10' x 10' x 10' hole where the DK is standing. While he's climbing out, run like hell.

Or doesn't it work like that anymore?

jindra34
2007-04-18, 11:56 PM
Skin: Who says she has used all her disintigrates..

Innis Cabal
2007-04-18, 11:56 PM
it still does

RTGoodman
2007-04-18, 11:58 PM

I was just thinking:
I don't think that the Oracle said anything about V saying the four words before (s)he dies, so it's possible that V could die, end up in whatever afterlife (s)he goes to, and then when someone tries to use Raise Dead or whatever, the four words are "I think I'll stay" or something - and then end up with complete at total ultimate arcane power.

I don't know how likely that is, though, and I'd hate to lose V...

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-18, 11:59 PM
Maybe durkon pulls a thor attack: Seeing V in peril, he does a windup and hurls his warhammer at the DK's skull, which I noticed has some notable cracks in it. KA-SHATTER! The DK's head becomes a 3 dimensional jigsaw puzzle for premed students.

jindra34
2007-04-18, 11:59 PM
I was just thinking:
I don't think that the Oracle said anything about V saying the four words before (s)he dies, so it's possible that V could die, end up in whatever afterlife (s)he goes to, and then when someone tries to use Raise Dead or whatever, the four words are "I think I'll stay" or something - and then end up with complete at total ultimate arcane power.

I don't know how likely that is, though, and I'd hate to loose V...

so she goes ghost not likely but hey it is giant's call...

Nathander
2007-04-19, 12:00 AM
Nah, Durkon comes from above! There's no spell resistance vs. a giant dwarf falling from heaven and creaming you. Plus, Durkon is the only one to not do anything really unique this fight (so far). V has recieved a lot of screen time, Elan has been the center of a couple jokes, Haley has had a punchline and did the arrow-note thing, Belkar has had an internal dialogue and asserted his dominance over a pile of hobgoblin bodies, and Roy had his own freaking splash panel. Durkon is long overdue to do something cool.

Seconded. While I can't say this is definantely going to happen, I wouldn't be surprised by it, as I'd love to see Durkon get some more screen time.

Unfortunately, if he does confront the DK, I think this'll kind of be his last huzzah....though I'm expecting he'll do enough damage, at the very least, to get him so V can finish him off with a simple spell like Magic Missile. Hell, by his/her level, V should be able to cast the total five missiles, shouldn't s/he?

Darkxarth
2007-04-19, 12:04 AM
I realize that Death Knights probably have Damage Reduction, but do you think we might get to see V use those Elven Weapon Proficiencies now? I mean, she can use longsword, rapier, longbow, and shortbow. Some of you may think, "Surely she would have used these earlier in times of dire need?" and I say to you "Ah, but what if Rich forgot? And now he remembered?"

Anyway, not likely, but a possibility.

Tharivol123
2007-04-19, 12:12 AM
Or maybe V will finally remember that she is proficient with them. Despite his/her intelligence score, V forgot a class feature, so why not a racial feature?

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-19, 12:13 AM
Seconded. While I can't say this is definantely going to happen, I wouldn't be surprised by it, as I'd love to see Durkon get some more screen time.

Unfortunately, if he does confront the DK, I think this'll kind of be his last huzzah....though I'm expecting he'll do enough damage, at the very least, to get him so V can finish him off with a simple spell like Magic Missile. Hell, by his/her level, V should be able to cast the total five missiles, shouldn't s/he?

Yes, V was capable of casting all five missiles very soon after the comic began - at least as early as the comic where (s)he casts cone of cold, since cone of cold requires the wizard to be level 9, and you get one magic missile + one more for every two levels after the first. As V is now level 13 (at least) this would indicate that (s)he is greater than level 9. :P

HuoMaKe
2007-04-19, 12:18 AM
If the comic were out, we'd know. Anyone know what's going on with Giant?

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-19, 12:20 AM
Wow, he's sick, ok? Man, people get so touchy when their free online entertainment provider is late by a bit. A testament to the qualtiy of his work, I guess.

HuoMaKe
2007-04-19, 12:21 AM
I thought he had said it'd be on time today is all. I'm a little curious because I stayed up late for it as well. Get well soon, Giant!

ryos
2007-04-19, 12:22 AM
Meh. All you party poopers trying to let things like "plausibility" or "the rules" get in the way of the hilarity of explosive runes.

(I personally think the comic shouldn't be bound to the rules of the DnD-verse, but that's mostly because I'm not into DnD, don't know the rules (or the monsters, or...well, anything), don't care about them either way, and just read OOTS for the humor, story, and art. :smalltongue: )

If the comic were out, we'd know. Anyone know what's going on with Giant?

The man was just sick, and he's running behind schedule. Nothing sinister or terrible so far as we know.

Jazzvader
2007-04-19, 12:23 AM
probably still suffering from his cold

MReav
2007-04-19, 01:22 AM
I vote for collapsing walls. Whether V instigated or not is irrelevant.

DK: Foolish Elf! You cannot defeat me! I AM INVINCIBLE!

*wall segment collapses on him*

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-19, 01:24 AM
I vote for collapsing walls. Whether V instigated or not is irrelevant.

DK: Foolish Elf! You cannot defeat me! I AM INVINCIBLE!

*wall segment collapses on him*

The Giant can only do this if the Deathknight ends up frozen solid somehow. It's required by law.

MReav
2007-04-19, 01:26 AM
The Giant can only do this if the Deathknight ends up frozen solid somehow. It's required by law.

I don't know... I've seen people get hit by random treasure chests falling out of the sky with that one.

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-19, 01:28 AM
It was a Goldeneye reference. Y'know. Boris? "I am INVINCIBLE!" *Ka-Boom* *He gets liquid nitrogen dumped all over him.*

random11
2007-04-19, 01:30 AM
Well, most of the group seems too far to help and I doubt haley's arrows can do much damage.
The only one close enough is maybe Belker since he is on ground level. But we don't know how far he really is. And besides, he wouldn't help V, he'd bring popcorn for this...

That leaves mostly events that depend on luck, or something special. After all, V has experience in handling rough situations (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0065.html) without using magic.

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-19, 01:31 AM
Belkar's on the other side of the wall, random. Good try, though.

Ranorian
2007-04-19, 01:35 AM
Hm. Doesn't V have Power Word Blind still? I don't play D&D so I don't know what exactly it does, but if it really does blind the death knight Vaarsuvius could run off and prepare something bigger.

MReav
2007-04-19, 01:42 AM
It was a Goldeneye reference. Y'know. Boris? "I am INVINCIBLE!" *Ka-Boom* *He gets liquid nitrogen dumped all over him.*

I know the reference. But there's another webcomic that's out there that makes heavy usage of that line as a running gag. It'd probably appear more often, if he would actually advance the comic, which he hasn't in nearly a year.

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-19, 01:45 AM
Ah, sorry about that. Just wondering.

RowlieBowlie
2007-04-19, 01:55 AM
I think V will burst loose in an oratory making tthe death knight fall asleep :-)

Besides, my guess is that Durkon will get more screen time fighting the huecuva. You know how huecuva's get when confronted with priests :-)

ShiningTed
2007-04-19, 02:39 AM
V Disintergrating the ground from under him isn't that different to V Disintergrating the horse from under him - it is one of V's prefered spells, but I tihnk Rich will do something more original and unexpected than that.

Heck of a cliff-hanger comic, this one.

Heliomance
2007-04-19, 04:32 AM
Something no-one's mentioned. The right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons.
What if the death knight is the right being?

Khoran
2007-04-19, 04:33 AM
Product Itentity :P

Though, in all honesty, I have a feeling that it will have something regarding using the enviorment and magic (be it his own or the Deathknights), though the giant probobly has something inexplicable planned.

Tobz
2007-04-19, 05:53 AM
Isn't that 'unnatural acts of wizardry' goth chick still wandering around somewhere? She still has to get her moment and now would be a good time I guess.

Suppose she's a necromancer, would that include any good anti-DK spells?

Eva
2007-04-19, 06:00 AM
I posted this on another thread, but I'll say again:

This guy likes using fire, right? V Transmutes Rock to Mud. The castle below where the guy is standing turns into mud, and he sinks just before he uses fire again, effectively sealing himself back into the rock.

Firestar27
2007-04-19, 06:16 AM
There are spells that are not affected by spell resistance you know...
Magic Missile for instance.

Deuce
2007-04-19, 06:28 AM
My money is on an attack on the DK by Hinjo & Argent. That big puppy should have a high enough move rate to get them there in the nick of time (it can, of course, move at the speed of Plot when needed).

Maryring
2007-04-19, 06:34 AM
I believe that what happens is either...

Unnatural acts of Wizardry girl comes and casts Disrupt Undead. How Ironic to be defeated by a cantrip.

or...

Sangwaan lands on the DK, crushing him. Hey, it's not like we've seen her land yet.

Jaysyn
2007-04-19, 07:29 AM
There are spells that are not affected by spell resistance you know...
Magic Missile for instance.

Magic Missile
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: Up to five creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

A missile of magical energy darts forth from your fingertip and strikes its target, dealing 1d4+1 points of force damage.

Dectilon
2007-04-19, 07:40 AM
"will not work spell resistance still intervines..."

The key word is "resistance", not immunity ;)

I agree that the liil necromancer hasn't had a moment yet, but why would she help V? The closest I could imagine would be for her to take control of Deathy somehow : /

pjackson
2007-04-19, 07:51 AM
Durkan could use a Summon Monster spell to summon something fast moving to help V - such as a Lantern Archon or Celestial Giant Owl.

nocker
2007-04-19, 07:56 AM

I don't think Durkon would die so easily. I mean, he's a 13th level cleric. Are you aware of how hard is to put one of these down? Between the curative and hostile uses of healing magic and plain old melee supremacy (Divine Power + Thor's Might) Durkon would be more than a fair match for the Death Knight.

fehler
2007-04-19, 08:14 AM
Wow, that was, well, "classic" OOTS.

Gitman00
2007-04-19, 08:23 AM
Well, I guess 441 puts this debate to rest. Awesome.

Silverlocke980
2007-04-19, 08:35 AM
That could get around his spell resistance by blasting something near him (like, say, a very heavy wall?) that then comes tumbling down on the Death Knight's head.

Roy finished him off with something else, but I still like this idea!

Eva
2007-04-19, 08:38 AM
I kind of wish I had posted my first idea, now that the comic is up....

My first idea was that Roy somehow would drop his sword, leaving him going "oh, crap", but it would fortuitously fall on the Death Knight.

I have witnesses, too ;P.

Not quite as cool -- but the general idea.

dutch508
2007-04-19, 09:10 AM
...Show me,
A head of a Zombie Silver Dragon lands on teh DK and ke-smooshes him...

huh...not even in the top three thousand...

Dectilon
2007-04-19, 09:39 AM
Hahahaahaha.... hoo boy... I just realised that the Miko fans haven't really started any suggestions yet ;)

Kreistor
2007-04-19, 12:01 PM
For the record, I hate Deus Ex Machina.

Studoku
2007-04-19, 12:16 PM
Sangwaan lands on the DK, crushing him. Hey, it's not like we've seen her land yet.

I don't think anyone could have predicted what happened but this is pretty close.

Studoku
2007-04-19, 12:18 PM

I don't think anyone could have predicted what happened but this is pretty close.

Apocalyte13
2007-04-19, 03:36 PM
Dragon head lands on the DK

Pyrian
2007-04-19, 08:47 PM
For the record, I hate Deus Ex Machina.

You should probably stay away from this comic/webcomics/comics/humor.

jindra34
2007-04-19, 08:50 PM
You should probably stay away from this comic/webcomics/comics/humor.

Pyrian your are so right...