PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Paladin Archetype: Oath of Honor (Samurai Port)

Wartex1
2015-05-07, 10:33 PM
Oath of Honor
The Oath of Honor isn't necessarily to a cause or purpose, but to a person, organization, or the law as a whole. Dedicated to upholding both public and personal order, Paladins of the Oath of Honor are often domestic enforcers, used to root out terrorism, quell uprisings, and enforce the rule of kings. Sometimes regarded as a protective force, certain Paladins who take this Oath fall a path that strays from Good.

Tenets of Honor
Respect Authority Understand that those who are in a position of power are often a necessary force for order and act on that understanding.
Enforce Order If the laws are just, you are both to uphold them and punish those who defy them.
Know Your Place Keep sight of your place in the world, both under authority as one yourself.
Establish Law When chaos is rampant in society, it is expected of you to enact laws that stabilize the land.

Oath Spells
3rd level - Alarm, Compelled Duel
5th level - Knock, Warding Bond
9th level - Haste, Spirit Guardians
13th level - Death Ward, Fire Shield
17th level - Geas, Modify Memory

Channel Divinity
When you take this Oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
Staredown You can empower your gaze with the steeled honor, allowing you to stare opponents into submission. As a bonus action, you may grant divine favor to your powers of intimidation for 1 minute. When you first use this and as a bonus action while this feature is in effect, you may make an opposed check against a sentient enemy you can see. If your Intimidation roll is higher than the target's Insight roll, that target is frightened of you until it makes a Wisdom saving throw at the beginning of each of its turns.
Explosive Draw You can infuse a single strike after drawing your blade with unstoppable fury. As an action, if you have a sheathed melee weapon and have the available hands to wield it, you may unsheathe it and make a single attack roll with it. This attack, if it hits, is an automatic critical hit and adds your proficiency bonus to the damage dealt. However, you cannot use your Divine Smite with this feature.

Ancestral Daisho
When you reach 7th level, you are given an ancient pair of two blades, a wakizashi (scimitar) and katana (longsword) either through circumstance or divine intervention. These weapons are inherently magical and count as such. These weapons also confer an extra +1 on attack and damage rolls. In addition, you may dual-wield these weapons as a pair, even though the katana is not a light weapon. At 18th level, these weapons are +3 magical weapons.

Crowd Control Staredown
At 15th level, your gaze pierces through multiple enemies. When you use your Channel Divinity: Staredown, you may target any number creatures within 30 feet of you.

Keep Another In Its Sheathe
At 20th level, one show of your blade can cause others to submit to your will. Once per Long Rest, when you use your Channel Divinity: Explosive Draw, all creatures, even those of little intelligence, understand that you can and will cut them down if they get in your way. All enemies who can see you must make a Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 hour.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-07, 10:40 PM
Explosive Draw seems really strong with Divine Smite, though I'm sure that was the intent. 6d8 + 5 (or 7d8 + 5 if half-orc) just seems... powerful haha. Especially when you consider how that scales as the character levels. Not to mention any of the smite spells on top of that.

The capstone is cool, but I think they should be able to be immune to the effect for 24 hours on a successful save, or have some way of re-rolling the save? I haven't really looked into the balance of 20th-level features so pardon my lack of insight on that.

Wartex1
2015-05-07, 10:49 PM
The Paladin 20th level features are very powerful buffs.

Explosive Draw replaces your attack action, so it's just about making the most out of your resources, focusing everything into one powerful strike. Plus, it's a Channel Divinity.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-07, 10:54 PM
The Paladin 20th level features are very powerful buffs.

Explosive Draw replaces your attack action, so it's just about making the most out of your resources, focusing everything into one powerful strike. Plus, it's a Channel Divinity.

Fair, just seems obnoxiously strong on the hit if you manage to say, hit with Banishing Smite up as well haha. 12d8 + 10d10 + 13 or 14 damage... ouch

Wartex1
2015-05-07, 10:58 PM
Are you sure that Smites and stuff stack with critical hits?

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-07, 11:01 PM
Are you sure that Smites and stuff stack with critical hits?

I was under the impression that on a critical hit you reroll all the damage die for the hit. If it works with sneak attack, it should work with divine smite and any spells you have (like divine favor or, well, a smite). Up to the DM's discretion if they think it's too strong, though I'm usually fine with it since it's just an explosive 1/20 thing.

PotatoGolem
2015-05-08, 12:41 AM
Yep, crits double your smite dice. Doubles all dice (smite, sneak, maneuver, etc), but static mods are normal. Because of that, explosive draw seems OP- guarantees you an incredible nova round.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-08, 12:56 AM
Yep, crits double your smite dice. Doubles all dice (smite, sneak, maneuver, etc), but static mods are normal. Because of that, explosive draw seems OP- guarantees you an incredible nova round.

Burning a 3rd-level slot on the Divine Smite and having Banishing Smite up yields an average crit of 122-123 (12d8+10d10+3+6+str mod of 4 or 5), and if you go Fighter 2 / Paladin 18, you still get two more attacks on top of that. And I'm probably being very boring with the possibilities, haha.

Wartex1
2015-05-08, 06:07 AM
I'll orobably limit it to disallow Smites with it.

ImSAMazing
2015-05-08, 03:26 PM
Looks good to me, I like the way you worked out the details!