PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Archery Skald

Shadowscale
2015-05-08, 12:28 AM
I'm thinking of playing an Orc Skald who specializes in archery, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to optimize this any good feats or anything else to keep in mind? Any PRCS for this exist?

grarrrg
2015-05-08, 01:34 AM
PrC's? Not really. Nothing much helps Skald-stuff. The closest you can get to your concept would be Arcane Archer.

First Rage Power that springs to mind is the Spirit Totem (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/spirit-totem-greater-su) line. You can grant EVERYONE a free Spirit-Slam that is based on YOUR CHA score every round. And since you'll be at range, the 'normal' Spirit Totem (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/spirit-totem-su) bonus of 20% Miss Chance for non-adjacent targets ain't too bad either.

The other one that comes to mind for archers is Reckless Abandon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/reckless-abandon-ex). You take a hit to your AC and gain an equal bonus to Attack Rolls. It can help make up for the fact that you're only 3/4 Bab.

You'll obviously want an Adaptive (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/adaptive) Composite Bow at some point to make use of the STR bonuses from Raging Song.

Lastly, the Fated Champion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/skald/archetypes/paizo---skald-archetypes/fated-champion) archetype is pretty solid. Most of the trade-offs are decent, the only stinker is the level 20 replacement.

Secret Wizard
2015-05-08, 02:18 AM
Do NOT go Orc archer. You will suffer from light sensitivity and the usual way of overcoming it (Day Runner) gives you a penalty to ranged attacks. You don't have the BAB to afford that.

Half-Orc, on the other hand, is absolutely solid.

You are going to be strapped for feats so don't forget using them all for ranged stuff.

Fated Champion is pretty great. Named Bullet is a divination spell that works with arrows!

Shadowscale
2015-05-08, 08:11 AM
Thanks for all the advice, I was going to you know use the goggles of light sensitivity or some spell or something to overcome it, light sensitivity typically isn't that big of a deal ya know?

Molosse
2015-05-08, 08:31 AM
Honestly I'd argue for the Spell Warrior over Fated Champion.

Enhance Weapons is a damn sight better for an Archery build than Raging Song for a 3/4 BaB class such as Skald. Grab 8 levels of Skald and then hop into Arcane Archer, take advantage of Enhance Weapons stacking with Enhance Arrows for some devilishly strong shots for yourself and some nice passive bonus' for the rest of your party that doesn't rely on them getting all enraged ala' Inspire Rage.

And to clarify, if this was an issue in your mind, you can take advantage of Rage Powers and the like when utilizing Enhance Weapons.

Shadowscale
2015-05-08, 08:40 AM
Honestly I'd argue for the Spell Warrior over Fated Champion.

Enhance Weapons is a damn sight better for an Archery build than Raging Song for a 3/4 BaB class such as Skald. Grab 8 levels of Skald and then hop into Arcane Archer, take advantage of Enhance Weapons stacking with Enhance Arrows for some devilishly strong shots for yourself and some nice passive bonus' for the rest of your party that doesn't rely on them getting all enraged ala' Inspire Rage.

And to clarify, if this was an issue in your mind, you can take advantage of Rage Powers and the like when utilizing Enhance Weapons.

I think I'll try all this, I've found ways around light sensitivity as well. So to clarify I should be enrging myself and everyone with all my arcane archer and skald abilities or not? What passive bonuses do you mean I'll be granted? This seems like a lot of fun, I'm glad the elf requirement doesn't exist anymore I love strength archery builds, and casting just is icing on the cake.

Molosse
2015-05-08, 08:54 AM
I think I'll try all this, I've found ways around light sensitivity as well. So to clarify I should be enrging myself and everyone with all my arcane archer and skald abilities or not? What passive bonuses do you mean I'll be granted? This seems like a lot of fun, I'm glad the elf requirement doesn't exist anymore I love strength archery builds, and casting just is icing on the cake.

A Spell Warrior Skald replaces the Inspired Rage (Su) ability, which grants any ally who chooses to accept it a mini-rage, with the Enhance Weapons (Su) ability, which grants any ally who chooses to accept it a stacking enhancement bonus that can be traded out for various Magic Weapon abilities (Frost/Flaming etc).

The stacking enhancement bonus, In my opinion, is a superior option for a more varied selection of classes and builds than the Inspired Rage (Su). Once you hit Arcane Archer you gain the ability to further buff your weapon with another +1 to it's Enhancement Bonus and, at AA level 3, you further add Frost/Flaming/Shock.
In this way, when you take into account your lower BaB as opposed to a full martial archer, you'll be able to benefit from the stacking enhancement much more viably as opposed to the Inspired Rage which would sadly not help to circumvent your lower BaB.

Another option to take however would be 7 levels of Skald, the Extra Rage Feat or/and the Beserker of the Society Trait and a single level dip of the Primal Hunter Barbarian Archetype for more STR for damage as well as a untyped +2 to hit using a ranged/throwing weapon while Raging. This way you're still able to cast 3rd level spells but you'll also grab a decent bit of support for your ranged attacks.

As to passive buffs: You'll be supplying the equivalent of a +2 enhancement bonus and a pair of Rage Powers to your entire party, without the added baggage of forcing them into a Rage.

Molosse
2015-05-08, 09:13 AM
To clarify, at levels 7/8/9 your turn order will go something like:

i) Standard Action to cast on one of your many Buff Spells upon yourself and the party.
ii) Move Action to begin your Enhance Weapons (Su) Raging Song
iii) 5-Ft step into a better position
iv) Activate your Primal Hunter Rage at the start of your next turn as not to waste a round of Rage.

Later on you can grab stuff like Discordant Voice and the like to really stack on the bonus' you'll be throwing out to both your allies and you're own bow.

Shadowscale
2015-05-08, 09:41 AM
To clarify, at levels 7/8/9 your turn order will go something like:

i) Standard Action to cast on one of your many Buff Spells upon yourself and the party.
ii) Move Action to begin your Enhance Weapons (Su) Raging Song
iii) 5-Ft step into a better position
iv) Activate your Primal Hunter Rage at the start of your next turn as not to waste a round of Rage.

Later on you can grab stuff like Discordant Voice and the like to really stack on the bonus' you'll be throwing out to both your allies and you're own bow.
This all sounds like a plan so barbarian1/skald8/AA10 so I need to worry about being strength dex cha mad?

Molosse
2015-05-08, 10:04 AM
This all sounds like a plan so barbarian1/skald8/AA10 so I need to worry about being strength dex cha mad?

Barb 1/Skald 7/AA 10 in my opinion mate. As to Dex/Str: Raging should sort your Str issue so feel free to pump Dex.

Regarding Cha, if you want to concentrate on targeting enemies as opposed to buffing yourself/allies then you'll need more. As it is at level 18 you'll have 5th level Skald Spells so a 15 Cha, eventually, would be important.

If your set on Orc something like this seems doable post racial modifiers:
Str: 16
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 6
Wis: 8
Cha: 12

As an aside a Half-Orc build would be a damn sight easier to pull off without tanking Int/Wis, though Raging will help your Wis as will the Skalds saves.

Geddy2112
2015-05-08, 10:16 AM
Since your going for ranged combat, you want the usual point blank shot, precise shot(you need these for AA anyways), rapid shot, deadly aim feats etc.