PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Earth Power - does it work this way?

DrMartin
2015-05-08, 12:51 AM
I'm confused as to when you apply the benefits of Earth Power (and by the same extent, of the Torc of Power Preservation).

Let's assume a Human psion 1, with the feats Overchannel, Earth Sense, Earth Power, who has her focus and is touching the ground. Can she cast, for instance:
- Vigor for 1 +1 (Augment) -1(Earth Power)= 1PP, and gain 10 temp hp?
- Overchannel an Astral Construct for 1 + 2(Augment) -1 (Earth Power) = 2PP, and create a second level construct?

I cannot tell if this is the correct reading and desired effect of the feat, or if the reduction is supposed to be applied after totalling cost + augment under the ML cap (so that for instance the psion above could Overchannel vigor for 1+1 (augment) -1 (EP) gaining 10 temp hp but suffering 1d8dmg from overchannel).

is there a clear answer or is this up to interpretation?

Flickerdart
2015-05-08, 10:34 AM
All modifiers apply at the same time unless stated otherwise, and I don't believe they state otherwise. So you could use augments beyond those you'd normally be able to if you have a way of reducing the PP cost for it.

DrMartin
2015-05-08, 12:53 PM
That would also be my reading - it just seems extra-mean to (for instance) odd level sorcerer party members...3rd level sorc still stuck at 1st level spells, and 3rd level psion effectively emulating (at a cost, sure...) 3rd level powers. But yeah, a small problem that can be fixed with kobolds (like all d&d problems).

Flickerdart
2015-05-08, 01:51 PM
That would also be my reading - it just seems extra-mean to (for instance) odd level sorcerer party members...3rd level sorc still stuck at 1st level spells, and 3rd level psion effectively emulating (at a cost, sure...) 3rd level powers. But yeah, a small problem that can be fixed with kobolds (like all d&d problems).
3rd level powers are much better than what they actually get - augmented 2nd level powers. It's actually a lot less impressive than it sounds:
3rd level psion with Overchannel, Earth Sense, and Earth Power: Take 1d8 damage to deal 5d6 (avg 17.5) damage to target (energy missile) for a 3rd level power's cost.
3rd level sorcerer with Bloodline of Fire, Elemental Spellcasting, and Fiery Burst: Take 0 damage to deal 4d8 (avg 18) damage to target (lesser orb of fire) for a 1st level power's cost.

DrMartin
2015-05-08, 03:02 PM
true, the sorc in your example has more dakka :smallbiggrin: it may not be world-ending but it's still quite nifty, to get for instance astral constructs two full levels before what you're "supposed" to summon (or four at higher level - you can get construct IX at caster level 13 with overchannel, earth power and a torc)

Flickerdart
2015-05-08, 03:05 PM
Yeah, Astral Construct is one of the few powers where you do literally get higher-level ones when you augment. However, it's still not as good as Summon Monster, since higher level summons get SLAs.

Eldaran
2015-05-08, 03:16 PM
3rd level powers are much better than what they actually get - augmented 2nd level powers. It's actually a lot less impressive than it sounds:
3rd level psion with Overchannel, Earth Sense, and Earth Power: Take 1d8 damage to deal 5d6 (avg 17.5) damage to target (energy missile) for a 3rd level power's cost.
3rd level sorcerer with Bloodline of Fire, Elemental Spellcasting, and Fiery Burst: Take 0 damage to deal 4d8 (avg 18) damage to target (lesser orb of fire) for a 1st level power's cost.

The Energy Missile would do 5d6+5 if it's cold or fire, or have +2 dc/+2 vs SR if it's electric. It also hits up to 5 targets within 15 feet of each other. It's substantially better, though obviously at a higher cost.