PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Chameleon Skill Points?

SinsI
2015-05-08, 02:00 AM
Chameleon class have an "Ability Boon" class feature that gives you a competence bonus from +2 to +6 to an ability score till you change your aptitude focus; you usually have to change/refresh your aptitude focus every 24 hours.
If you choose to boost Intelligence on the day of your level up, would that bonus give additional skill points?

Usually temporary Int-boosting methods (Headband of Intellect, Fox's Cunning) have a special provision that they don't give extra skill points, but in this case no such provision was made.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-08, 02:05 AM
I generally use Pathfinder's rule that Int boosts (such as those from an item) only grant extra skill points after they've been active for a full 24 hours. Not sure if there's a parallel in 3.5.

DrMotives
2015-05-08, 02:12 AM
I thought the rule was you needed the int bonus for a whole level, so if you wore the headband of intellect from when you earned one level until the next, then they'd earn the extra skillpoints. Not just the final 24 hours.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-08, 02:22 AM
I thought the rule was you needed the int bonus for a whole level, so if you wore the headband of intellect from when you earned one level until the next, then they'd earn the extra skillpoints. Not just the final 24 hours.

I was referring to retroactive skill points from levels you already possessed (e.g. put on a headband, get extra skill ranks equal to level after 24 hours). Also, I was a bit wrong about how it works in PF:

The headband grants the wearer an enhancement bonus to Intelligence of +2, +4, or +6. Treat this as a temporary ability bonus for the first 24 hours the headband is worn. A headband of vast intelligence has one skill associated with it per +2 bonus it grants. After being worn for 24 hours, the headband grants a number of skill ranks in those skills equal to the wearer's total Hit Dice. These ranks do not stack with the ranks a creature already possesses. These skills are chosen when the headband is created. If no skill is listed, the headband is assumed to grant skill ranks in randomly determined Knowledge skills.
(link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/headband-of-vast-intelligence))

The item provides built-in skill ranks as part of its effects. The second sentence of the description appears in the text for all ability-boosting items, and is what I was referring to in my earlier post.

Back on topic, I would rule that the Chameleon's Ability Boon (Intelligence) feature would grant additional skill points, but that's a personal opinion rather than a rules-supported one.

SinsI
2015-05-08, 02:25 AM

No, 3.5 item states otherwise.
And if you get a normal ability increase (the one at 4th, 8th, etc. levels), you immediately get the associated bonus skill points for the level.

Also, Chameleon feature says that it stays "till you change aptitude focus". Do you actually change it if you select the same one every morning?

Baroknik
2015-05-08, 02:38 AM
Chameleon class have an "Ability Boon" class feature that gives you a competence bonus from +2 to +6 to an ability score till you change your aptitude focus; you usually have to change/refresh your aptitude focus every 24 hours.
If you choose to boost Intelligence on the day of your level up, would that bonus give additional skill points?

Usually temporary Int-boosting methods (Headband of Intellect, Fox's Cunning) have a special provision that they don't give extra skill points, but in this case no such provision was made.

Have they reprinted Chameleon to PF? If you are playing 3.5, there is no way to retroactively gain skill points from increasing int (even permanently) as is laid out in the PHB.

SinsI
2015-05-08, 02:45 AM
Have they reprinted Chameleon to PF? If you are playing 3.5, there is no way to retroactively gain skill points from increasing int (even permanently) as is laid out in the PHB.

Not retroactively. I'm talking about normal level up - do you include Competence Bonus to Intelligence when calculating your skill points gained or not?

Fuzzy McCoy
2015-05-08, 11:51 AM
Hmmm, I don't think so.

When talking about leveling up characters in the PHB, it says this in the section on skill points

Your character’s Intelligence modifier affects the number of skill
points he or she gets at each level.... This rule represents an intelligent
character’s ability to learn faster over time. Use your character’s
current Intelligence score, including all permanent changes (such as
inherent bonuses, ability drains, or an Intelligence increase gained
at step 4, above) but not any temporary changes (such as ability
damage, or enhancement bonuses gained from spells or magic
items, such as a headband of intellect), to determine the number of
skill points you gain.

I think that no matter how you look at it, the chameleon ability is temporary.

animewatcha
2015-05-08, 12:42 PM
In 3.5, you don't gain additional skill points from wearing a headband of intelligence + x when you level up. If you did, it would be a required item for any class ( even fighter ). If you use the intelligence tome before you level-up to change your int mod from odd to even, resulting in you leveling up with int mod of even, then you get the additional skill point thanks to the tome.

Segev
2015-05-08, 01:16 PM
Yeah, skill points due to int mod are not retroactive, and generally only check your natural+inherent Int score.

SinsI
2015-05-08, 01:37 PM
I think that no matter how you look at it, the chameleon ability is temporary.
It lasts "till you change your arcane focus". If you never do, is it really "temporary"?

Evolved Shrimp
2015-05-08, 02:05 PM
It lasts "till you change your arcane focus". If you never do, is it really "temporary"?

Yes, because that is its nature. This is similar to a headband of intellect that you never take off. While the bonus may affect the subject for a very long time, it can nevertheless be ended at any time by a voluntary trivial action of the subject.

By contrast, an innate bonus to intelligence would increase the number of skill points during level-up because it is, by its nature, permanent. (While there are ways to remove it later, they are adversarial and violent, very similar to how intelligence drain would be inflicted.)

bekeleven
2015-05-08, 02:18 PM
This rule represents an intelligent character's ability to learn faster over time. Use your character's current Intelligence score, including all permanent changes (such as inherent bonuses, ability drains, or an Intelligence increase gained at step 4, above) but not any temporary changes (such as ability damage, or enhancement bonuses gained from spells or magic items, such as a headband of intellect), to determine the number of skill points you gain.Inherent. That's it.

PHB Chapter 3.