PDA

View Full Version : Post Count and Auto-Refresh

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-19, 02:20 AM
Someone may have brought this up before, but I can't find it.

Under my profile, it states that I've made 667 posts. That's what it said a couple of weeks ago, and I know that it's higher now. Is there something wrong with the post counter or is it just me?

Second, for the longest time I had OOTS under "favorites" on my favorites bar. When I clicked on the link, it would take me to the most recent OOTS strip. Now, it takes me to some past version of the site where 439 is the most recent strip (always, even clicking on the newest button does nothing) and it doesn't fix itself unless I go to the forums and then back to the strip, through the link. The news server is the same way - I can only access current news through google, not in-site.

Edit: Never mind the first part of the complaint. It was 667 a week ago and is 766 now. My bad. :P

Anything I should know?

Thanks for reading this.

Rawhide
2007-04-19, 02:43 AM
Regarding the most recent strip, what page do you have bookmarked?

As far as postcount goes, I urge you, please please don't care about your postcount. Not only does postcount have no meaning around here, but the larger your postcount the more strain you are putting on the server. The more of your posts have to be indexed and searched when someone runs a search, the larger the database is for backing up. It makes pages take longer to load (which is one reason the default is only to see the last month, please don't change it unless you need to see an older post or if you reduce the length even more). Less is more. Seriously.

I don't want to stop people making productive, meaningful and helpful posts. But please, if you care about the server, don't make posts for the sake of your postcount, don't make trivial, nonsense and spammy posts.

P.S. please don't just go deleting your posts either, as they have already been backed up there is no point.

sukotto
2007-04-19, 07:55 AM
... for the longest time I had OOTS under "favorites" on my favorites bar. When I clicked on the link, it would take me to the most recent OOTS strip. ...

Try this:
Right-click the OotS link in your favorites bar
Choose "properties"
Set the "url" field to http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootslatest.html (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootslatest.html)
Click "OK"

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-19, 10:36 AM
As far as postcount goes, I urge you, please please don't care about your postcount. Not only does postcount have no meaning around here, but the larger your postcount the more strain you are putting on the server. The more of your posts have to be indexed and searched when someone runs a search, the larger the database is for backing up. It makes pages take longer to load (which is one reason the default is only to see the last month, please don't change it unless you need to see an older post or if you reduce the length even more). Less is more. Seriously.

I don't want to stop people making productive, meaningful and helpful posts. But please, if you care about the server, don't make posts for the sake of your postcount, don't make trivial, nonsense and spammy posts.

P.S. please don't just go deleting your posts either, as they have already been backed up there is no point.

Oops, I'm sorry if I gave you that impression, Rawhide. It's not so much that I care about the postcount as that the troubles with the news and latest strip thing made me wonder if somehow my posts weren't getting through, or if PMs weren't getting to me, or something. A bit silly, I know, but I didn't want 89 posts to go to waste, if for no other reason than the time involved in posting them.

Thank you for responding so quickly, I'll try re-setting the url. Still, "lateststrip" is what I had it set to before...

Oppolo
2007-04-19, 11:18 AM
Edit: Never mind the first part of the complaint. It was 667 a week ago and is 766 now. My bad. :P

Stop posting so much. Seriously. :smalltongue:

Fax Celestis
2007-04-19, 12:42 PM
Yeah, really. *hides postcount*

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-19, 04:03 PM
It is not just the posting.... I get 10 PMs a day from Jade_Tarem :-p

Any chance that a friendly mod could increase the size of my inbox to account for this?

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-19, 06:31 PM
It is not just the posting.... I get 10 PMs a day from Jade_Tarem :-p

Any chance that a friendly mod could increase the size of my inbox to account for this?

...You do not... :smallyuk:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-20, 03:33 AM
Nahh, but my inbox is always stuffed, so that part was true :-p

Besides, who said it was a bad thing, since you always make clever and humorous posts/PMs ;-)

Charity
2007-04-20, 05:09 AM
I too would love a bigger PM box, it used to be 500 I could cope then, now it fills up so fast I often get bounced messages.
I know there is all kinds of issues involved, but I think if PM was more encouraged there would be less spammy posts.

I would hate to think how crazy your's gets Silvanos, with the whole core class battle thing and all.